Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 08:33:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S1 Upgrade Kit  (Read 16002 times)
Finksy
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 07:35:43 PM

From what I gather in order to test the boards, they have to mount them, and then dis-assemble and package which is more time-consuming then shipping out tested miners.  The other issue with s1-s2 upgrades at this point, is that many of the newer style chips are dissipating heat through the front of the chip more so than through the PCB.  AsicMiner commented that they would not be retrofitting Tube/Prismas with their newer design even once it's released because it doesn't handle heat in the same way.

IBM 2880W PSU Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135 IBM 4K PSU Breakout Boards & Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296 
Server PSU-powered GPU rig solutions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864539  Wallet address: 1GWQYCv22cAikgTgT1zFuAmsJ9fFqq9TXf 
J4bberwock

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 09:06:04 PM

From what I gather in order to test the boards, they have to mount them, and then dis-assemble and package which is more time-consuming then shipping out tested miners.  The other issue with s1-s2 upgrades at this point, is that many of the newer style chips are dissipating heat through the front of the chip more so than through the PCB.  AsicMiner commented that they would not be retrofitting Tube/Prismas with their newer design even once it's released because it doesn't handle heat in the same way.

Put the hashing chips on the backside of the PCB and everything else taller than the chips on the other side... "et voila", you can retrofit.
It was at least as hard to find this idea as to find the idea of using a string design (already used in the one string miner project for example) to reduce manufacturing costs and gain a little efficiency.

Custom Server PSU breakout boards, 1200w, 1300w, 2000w, 2880w https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=738527.0
Btc: 1J4bberWs6f6XVQ53gn3BNc8qHAicmm7wu
Ltc: LNDmMBtzD3cduwjfxANm2wDrxt9jXRk5ZP
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 11:32:43 PM

Seems to me like a great opportunity here for someone to step in and make upgrade kits for all the S1 and S2 boxes out there, it would be like printing BTC.  If only I had the know-how and resources...
Thats wishful thinking ..... I actually thought we were very close to that but bitmain are having none of it thus far. Case in mind was the much touted / dubbed C2, or water-cooled S5 where bitmain had come to an understanding with syscooling to sell them boards and they do a design and group buy. Bitmain pulled the plug at the last minute! I've also heard noises that bitmain are agnostic to selling boards (aka upgrade kits) anymore because it costs them a lot to test the boards .... apparently!
So there ...

Right, but what's stopping a 3rd party from stepping in and offering upgrades?  That's what I'm surprised hasn't happened.  Someone (several someones) could start a business doing nothing else and I'm sure it would be profitable.  Oh well, wishful thinking as you said...  Grin
Finksy
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 01:58:24 AM

Right, but what's stopping a 3rd party from stepping in and offering upgrades?  That's what I'm surprised hasn't happened.  Someone (several someones) could start a business doing nothing else and I'm sure it would be profitable.  Oh well, wishful thinking as you said...  Grin

Yeah like AsicMiner.  We know they don't test their boards first anyways!  Grin

Good point J4bber, but why would a company like AsicMiner choose not to retrofit their existing heatsink/fan assemblies if it was as feasible as you say?  By reducing the end-cost of each new-gen miner to their consumers, they could in reality mark-up the assembled PCB boards more than if they were selling complete units, and people would still be able to ROI.

IBM 2880W PSU Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135 IBM 4K PSU Breakout Boards & Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296 
Server PSU-powered GPU rig solutions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864539  Wallet address: 1GWQYCv22cAikgTgT1zFuAmsJ9fFqq9TXf 
J4bberwock

Activity: 840

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 08:21:44 AM

Seems to me like a great opportunity here for someone to step in and make upgrade kits for all the S1 and S2 boxes out there, it would be like printing BTC.  If only I had the know-how and resources...
Thats wishful thinking ..... I actually thought we were very close to that but bitmain are having none of it thus far. Case in mind was the much touted / dubbed C2, or water-cooled S5 where bitmain had come to an understanding with syscooling to sell them boards and they do a design and group buy. Bitmain pulled the plug at the last minute! I've also heard noises that bitmain are agnostic to selling boards (aka upgrade kits) anymore because it costs them a lot to test the boards .... apparently!
So there ...

Right, but what's stopping a 3rd party from stepping in and offering upgrades?  That's what I'm surprised hasn't happened.  Someone (several someones) could start a business doing nothing else and I'm sure it would be profitable.  Oh well, wishful thinking as you said...  Grin

Price of the chips and assembly.
8-9 month ago, I was seriously interested in buying chips to build my own miners.
The cost of the chips alone was close to the full miner from the same manufacturers, and sometimes, the chips were even more expensive than buying a miner.

Some manufacturers were having a MOQ of over 20 000$.
With chips being obsolete and losing value every week, you also need to calculate how fast you need to make the assembly and sell the mining units before they are worth nothing.
The timeframe is really short between the date you pay for the chips, and the time you need to have everything sold.
Do you remember the Avalon 1, or maybe we can take BFL Monarch, or black arrow prosperos as an example.

Anyway, the main issue here is that there is no point in paying 20-30% more for something homemade when fully working units are available from the manufacturer.
And those 20-30% too expensive prices don't include any profit for the one who is assembling the boards... just chips, components, PCB, heatsinks.

Custom Server PSU breakout boards, 1200w, 1300w, 2000w, 2880w https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=738527.0
Btc: 1J4bberWs6f6XVQ53gn3BNc8qHAicmm7wu
Ltc: LNDmMBtzD3cduwjfxANm2wDrxt9jXRk5ZP
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 09:39:48 AM

Well when you put it like that it certainly makes sense.  Thanks.  Cool
BCwinning

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 02:52:03 PM

The price of the chips costing so much has to do with volume.
I'm sure to buy 100 is expensive as a full miner giver or take. The companies making the miners
has no incentive to sell hardware that can mine more than they sell for.
Once the machine is ran for a while, sell it get a new one and repeat. Sell the crumbs to the peasents.
Name one mining manufacturer who isn't actually mining with their own hardware?
Yea we're nothing but capital to them.
Plus the more hardware you sell, the higher the diff goes up and it makes it harder on everyone to make a buck.
The labor in china in assembling a miner can't be more than the cost of one chip.
I'm sure labor overhead is the least of their concerns in China.

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
buysolar

Activity: 125
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 03:20:21 AM

The price of the chips costing so much has to do with volume.
I'm sure to buy 100 is expensive as a full miner giver or take. The companies making the miners
has no incentive to sell hardware that can mine more than they sell for.
Once the machine is ran for a while, sell it get a new one and repeat. Sell the crumbs to the peasents.
Name one mining manufacturer who isn't actually mining with their own hardware?
Yea we're nothing but capital to them.
Plus the more hardware you sell, the higher the diff goes up and it makes it harder on everyone to make a buck.
The labor in china in assembling a miner can't be more than the cost of one chip.
I'm sure labor overhead is the least of their concerns in China.

Spring festival ends soon. Maybe they come back from the festival with some good news for us.
MyRig
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 04:22:40 AM

A few more days, then the vacation be over...   Cry Cry Cry

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
faetos

Activity: 744
Merit: 514

gotta let a coin be a coin

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 09:12:47 PM

A few more days, then the vacation be over...   Cry Cry Cry

Happy New Year!!!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  All
  Print  

Jump to: