Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 09:32:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: We do not have a gun culture problem, we have a culture problem.  (Read 5236 times)
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 10:11:30 AM

I agree with this title.
Compare USA with Canada, for example.
In Canada there is no ''gun culture'' like in USA.
Result: Less violence and crime than in USA.
In USA people are ''brainwashed'' that they must have guns in order to protect themselves.
In reality is other way around, more violence, more crime and very unsafe living for average people.
Guns are not the part of solution but part of the problem.
So, something must be changed in USA before situation become worst.
USA need culture of ''peace'' not violence.

Way to miss the point of the OP as well as skipping over pretty much every post after. Confirmation bias much?
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 10:30:51 AM

Nearly Every Mass Shooting In The Last 20 Years Shares One Thing In Common, & It’s NOT Weapons
http://www.ammoland.com/2013/04/every-mass-shooting-in-the-last-20-years-shares-psychotropic-drugs/#axzz3ANs9LxgU

Lol, as much as I love guns (I do), consider the source of this learned article:

Let me give you a catchier title: "Nearly Every Mass Shooting In The Last 20 Years EVAR Shares One Thing In Common, &: It’s NOT Weapons
zen2

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 03:52:49 PM

i disagree. there are crazies in america, and they are often the ones who do the public shooting, but there's also a gun culture problem.. only in america do we have this many gun nuts and gun-related deaths. guns are rooted in american culture.

people from other westernized countries have lots of their own mentally unstable people, so why don't they have as many mass shootings?
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 04:44:02 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2014, 05:33:27 PM by Spendulus

i disagree. there are crazies in america, and they are often the ones who do the public shooting, but there's also a gun culture problem.. only in america do we have this many gun nuts and gun-related deaths. guns are rooted in american culture.

people from other westernized countries have lots of their own mentally unstable people, so why don't they have as many mass shootings?

ONE answer is the method of handling of mentally unstable people.  If a country put them in institutions, they would not be out running around on the streets.  And they would not be capable of killing, on the day in which they did not take their medicines.

In reality, there is no statistical relationship between areas with strong "gun culture" and the percentage of murders due to firearms.

http://stephenewright.com/fromthebluff/2010/12/13/some-interesting-statistics-on-murders-committed-with-guns-by-state/
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 08:54:20 PM

I agree with this title.
In USA people are ''brainwashed'' that they must have guns in order to protect themselves.
In reality is other way around, more violence, more crime and very unsafe living for average people.

Way to miss the point of the OP as well as skipping over pretty much every post after. Confirmation bias much?

The USA has a way different way of handling their drug problem and decided to wage a war on it..  Do you think that has anything to do with the gun culture..?
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 11:53:52 PM

The USA has a way different way of handling their drug problem and decided to wage a war on it..  Do you think that has anything to do with the gun culture..?
Actually, I think something was artificially created in this thread called "gun culture", then after it was created, all the "gun deaths" were capable of being blamed on "gun culture".

The argument is thus falsified, as the premise does not stand.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 05:19:32 AM

The USA has a way different way of handling their drug problem and decided to wage a war on it..  Do you think that has anything to do with the gun culture..?
Actually, I think something was artificially created in this thread called "gun culture", then after it was created, all the "gun deaths" were capable of being blamed on "gun culture".

The argument is thus falsified, as the premise does not stand.

Europe and Asia have a different way of handling their war problem.  When Euros and Asians get into one of their frequent bloody conflicts, they simply wait around suffering terribly until the Americans show up to put everything right and rebuild their warlike countries.

Obviously Asia and Europe have a war culture problem, so they handle that by waging war on guns.

Maybe next time, we'll just stay home with our nasty American guns and let them all be turned into slaves and/or fertilizer by the Germans and Japanese.   Cheesy

Lool, tell me more about the (recently) peaceful gun-free Asians and industrious civilized Euros.  And I'll remind you how they got that way...   Roll Eyes

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Gargulan

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 06:42:18 AM

Kids were raised without parental guidance and care. We are only seeing the consequences of the welfare system to support single parental family.

Hamuki
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 08:52:51 AM

I dont understand why you need to own a rifle if you arent a hunter.

I could understand a 9mm Semi automatic pistol in the drawer next to your bed if a home invasion should ever happen..
But the need for having rifles, smgs, and other weapons is just insanity.

12.000+ people gets shot in the US alone by fire arms.
That is insanely high..

Why cant you just put down the weapons and be like other nations..?

You cant own any kind of firearms in EU. Only if you have a hunting license, and a specific license for your hunting weapon..
Any person in the US can get a gun in less than 2 hours.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 12:20:14 PM

I could understand a 9mm Semi automatic pistol in the drawer next to your bed if a home invasion should ever happen..

That is insanely high..

You cant own any kind of firearms in EU. Only if you have a hunting license, and a specific license for your hunting weapon..

Good question.  First, as anyone who has been in the military will tell you, a rifle is the basic weapon.  A pistol has certain advantages, but even at short distances, rifles rule.  Second, pistols are quite difficult to hold properly and to use without training.  Third, in the US, the AR15 rifle style has actually became a preferred hunting weapon.  

That's all very much simplified and summarized, keep in mind.

Having said the above, we know that the "black rifle" - the AR15 - had it's initial surge in consumer popularity after the Clinton ban on "assault rifles".   And we know that each time Obama has tried to do something to promote bans, AR15/ammo/pistol sales surged.  It's gotten to the point to where gun stores say Obama is their best salesman.

You see, when you say "Why cant you just put down the weapons and be like other nations..?"....

What happens here is that people don't believe the politician who encourages them in that direction, and they do the exact opposite.  There are, by the way, a huge number of liberal Democrats with lots of guns.  It's not just conservative thinkers. 
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 01:27:41 PM

That is insanely high..

It's weird to me that people always make an exception for owning a gun as long as you are using it to kill animals. I target shoot. If I duct tape a bunny to the target, would that make it ok?
As for the people who get shot each year, you do realize those are criminals doing the shooting. And the victims are normally other criminals. This is an argument for having guns, right?
Lastly, your assertion that "Any person in the US can get a gun in less than 2 hours." is incorrect. There are many, many restrictions on firearms in the U.S. I bought a pistol last week and it took about a week to do the process of background checks and shipping to a FFL. It also involved a handfull of government agencies.

You see, when you say "Why cant you just put down the weapons and be like other nations..?"....

What happens here is that people don't believe the politician who encourages them in that direction, and they do the exact opposite.  There are, by the way, a huge number of liberal Democrats with lots of guns.  It's not just conservative thinkers. 
+1 I'm not a republican. But I am an American and we don't believe in an armed state ruling an unarmed populace. The state is subservient to our will and we must be able to fight it if necessary. That sounds dramatic, but one need look no further than the news to see why we like it that way. 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Arriemoller
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1767

Cлaвa Укpaїнi!

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 02:29:36 PM

That's incorrect, there is no common EU gun law. In Sweden for example there are three different kinds of gun licenses. Hunting, target shooting and protection. License for protection being the hardest to get, and hunting the easiest, although target shooting license for a shotgun, i.e. skeet shooting, is not hard to get. I have seven different firearms, three for hunting and the rest for target shooting, ranging from one "assault weapon" (FN FNC/Ak 5) to a Glock 22 with an additional 9 mm barrel and a revolver cal 22 lr for plinking. There are also the possibility to buy a gun manufactured before 1890 and not made for "unit cartridges".(Problably not the right word in english, but it has to be the percussion kind if you know what i mean). These guns  require no license at all and are just as deadly.

Demokrati: Två vargar och ett lamm röstar om lunchmenyn.      Democracy: Two wolfes and a lamb votes about the lunch menu.
Frihet: Ett väl beväpnat lamm opponerar sig mot omröstningen.  Freedom: A well armed lamb opposes the outcome.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:52:42 PM

That's incorrect, there is no common EU gun law. In Sweden for example there are three different kinds of gun licenses. Hunting, target shooting and protection. License for protection being the hardest to get, and hunting the easiest, although target shooting license for a shotgun, i.e. skeet shooting, is not hard to get. I have seven different firearms, three for hunting and the rest for target shooting, ranging from one "assault weapon" (FN FNC/Ak 5) to a Glock 22 with an additional 9 mm barrel and a revolver cal 22 lr for plinking. There are also the possibility to buy a gun manufactured before 1890 and not made for "unit cartridges".(Problably not the right word in english, but it has to be the percussion kind if you know what i mean). These guns  require no license at all and are just as deadly.
The Texas rule on that is mft before 1895, which generally means cartridges, but black powder loads in those cartridges.    And, correct, these are "not firearms."

Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:03:33 PM

I agree with this title.

The USA has a way different way of handling their drug problem and decided to wage a war on it..  Do you think that has anything to do with the gun culture..?

OK this is my understanding about reasons why so many average Americans using guns as means for self-protection, not for hunting or sport. I shared this opinion based on my experience while living in USA but you may know better. Please share your opinion.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:10:16 PM

I agree with this title.

OK this is my understanding about reasons why so many average Americans using guns as means for self-protection, not for hunting or sport. I shared this opinion based on my experience while living in USA but you may know better. Please share your opinion.

Out of pure curiosity for how long have you been living in the US?
Cause checking your posts you sure haven't been born there and you haven't spent too much time in the states either.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
Arriemoller
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1767

Cлaвa Укpaїнi!

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:16:29 PM

I have to correct myself, I forgot the fourth license category, collecting.

Demokrati: Två vargar och ett lamm röstar om lunchmenyn.      Democracy: Two wolfes and a lamb votes about the lunch menu.
Frihet: Ett väl beväpnat lamm opponerar sig mot omröstningen.  Freedom: A well armed lamb opposes the outcome.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 05:56:40 PM

That is insanely high..

That 12k includes violent criminals getting killed in self-defense.

Nope, the 170 million "gun control" victims in the 20th century (average of 17 million per year) is insanely high.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 06:09:18 PM

Raise your hand if your in favor of gun control.  Grin

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 08:04:50 PM

That is insanely high..

It's weird to me that people always make an exception for owning a gun as long as you are using it to kill animals. I target shoot. If I duct tape a bunny to the target, would that make it ok?
As for the people who get shot each year, you do realize those are criminals doing the shooting. And the victims are normally other criminals. This is an argument for having guns, right?
Lastly, your assertion that "Any person in the US can get a gun in less than 2 hours." is incorrect. There are many, many restrictions on firearms in the U.S. I bought a pistol last week and it took about a week to do the process of background checks and shipping to a FFL. It also involved a handfull of government agencies.

+1 I'm not a republican. But I am an American and we don't believe in an armed state ruling an unarmed populace. The state is subservient to our will and we must be able to fight it if necessary. That sounds dramatic, but one need look no further than the news to see why we like it that way. 
I mention this because a lot of people around the world have some mistaken ideas about the average US guy and guns.

The 2nd amendment in the US really is about taking down the government if need be.  LOL...  or the right of the citizens to forcibly, if need be, resist bad things by the government.....

I'm of the opinion that's "a good thing".  Might vary by country and area and history, whether it is a good thing or a bad thing.

IMHO:  Iraq and places like that, where terrorists run amok, everyone should be ARMED.

Schleicher

Activity: 675
Merit: 513

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 02:11:56 PM

Taking down the government?
That's what elections are for.
But obviously many people here don't believe in democracy.
You think you can win an armed fight against the majority of the people?

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: