Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:04:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What if someone bought up all the existing bitcoins?  (Read 31198 times)
mechs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 05:52:46 PM

That would be wonderful - I would hold out until the price is up 1000000Xs:)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 06:05:20 PM

He wouldn't need to buy all of them. If his purchasing streak pushes prices up so high, or so fast, that nobody will sell them or use them, then for all practical purposes, bitcoin is dead. A currency with no current is not.

A currency with no current is a store of value just as an atom that sheds no electrons is still potential energy. Bitcoin is money, not a currency traded for a single commodity at the highest market price on a universal exchange. Bitcoin is not more or less dead whether a bitcoin can be sold for $4 USD or $265 USD. People tend to hoard coins as prices move up and they tend to spend coins as prices move down. Bitcoins are commonly exchanged for values that are unrelated to a fiat currency. The market would have "current" as it finds a balance between hoarding and spending.

It seems, from looking at the amount of transactions and the experiences of bitcoin shop owners, that the reverse is actually happening: people hoard coins as the price drops (hoping they will go up again in the future), and people spend coins as they go up in price (taking advantage of the increased buying power of their money).

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2013, 06:48:09 PM

He wouldn't need to buy all of them. If his purchasing streak pushes prices up so high, or so fast, that nobody will sell them or use them, then for all practical purposes, bitcoin is dead. A currency with no current is not.

A currency with no current is a store of value just as an atom that sheds no electrons is still potential energy. Bitcoin is money, not a currency traded for a single commodity at the highest market price on a universal exchange. Bitcoin is not more or less dead whether a bitcoin can be sold for $4 USD or $265 USD. People tend to hoard coins as prices move up and they tend to spend coins as prices move down. Bitcoins are commonly exchanged for values that are unrelated to a fiat currency. The market would have "current" as it finds a balance between hoarding and spending.

It seems, from looking at the amount of transactions and the experiences of bitcoin shop owners, that the reverse is actually happening: people hoard coins as the price drops (hoping they will go up again in the future), and people spend coins as they go up in price (taking advantage of the increased buying power of their money).

With one prominent exception: Satoshi Nakamoto never spent his 1,000,000Ƀ, most likely cause he knows it's going much higher.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
mechs

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 06:59:38 PM

With one prominent exception: Satoshi Nakamoto never spent his 1,000,000Ƀ, most likely cause he knows it's going much higher.
1. How you know he has 1M bitcoins?
2. Maybe he lost the private key
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2013, 08:24:03 PM

1. How you know he has 1M bitcoins?
2. Maybe he lost the private key

1. 1M coins were mined with the same PC in the beginning and none of these coins moved.
2. "He" didn't. Trust me on that.

My assumption is that "Satoshi" mined and bought many more coins and we will know who it is in less than 5 years from now.

WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
xxjs

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 08:41:27 PM

On the contrary, as the price of bitcoins goes up people will be more inclined to use them. People will offer steep discounts on the items they sell to get the bitcoin in the hope those bitcoins will go up in value even more.

Right. The stores confirm this. Bitcoin highes are rush hours on bitmit and others.

Do you remember the source of this?
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2013, 10:26:18 PM

On the contrary, as the price of bitcoins goes up people will be more inclined to use them. People will offer steep discounts on the items they sell to get the bitcoin in the hope those bitcoins will go up in value even more.

Right. The stores confirm this. Bitcoin highes are rush hours on bitmit and others.

I guess https://www.bitcoinstore.com/ mentioned this here on the forum and bitmit confirmed it but basically that's quite logical from my own experience. If only I head the money to buy this, this and that … if exchange rate rises, I will spend some coins. In my case it would be about a major investment and not about buying small stuff I don't actually need. I don't see anything bad about a deflationary money stopping people from buying stuff they don't need. Would save the world a whole bunch of problems. Actually I dream of effects like planned obsolescence being an actual argument when buying stuff, as with fiat money, anything but spending it is just stupid no matter if the jeans fall apart before washing them for the first time or if they hold for a lifetime but with honest money people will start to think about buying stuff that doesn't loose its value.

ɃɃ
xxjs

Activity: 280

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 10:58:16 PM

I guess https://www.bitcoinstore.com/ mentioned this here on the forum and bitmit confirmed it but basically that's quite logical from my own experience.
Good enough, thanks.
If only I head the money to buy this, this and that … if exchange rate rises, I will spend some coins. In my case it would be about a major investment and not about buying small stuff I don't actually need. I don't see anything bad about a deflationary money stopping people from buying stuff they don't need. Would save the world a whole bunch of problems. Actually I dream of effects like planned obsolescence being an actual argument when buying stuff, as with fiat money, anything but spending it is just stupid no matter if the jeans fall apart before washing them for the first time or if they hold for a lifetime but with honest money people will start to think about buying stuff that doesn't loose its value.
saif313

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 08:00:25 AM

just asking is this possible that someone bougth all bitcoins

viboracecata
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Varanida : Fair & Transparent Digital Ecosystem

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 08:51:18 AM

Then bitcoin be dead.

iBuilding A Better Interneti
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

█b
▐█=
║█
██                                         ¡▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄┌
██M                                  ╒▄▄▄▄█▀    ▂▂ ╙▀▀▆▄
██▌                                ╓, ,██╨      ▀▀▀    ╜▀█▌
███                                ▀▀██╙     ▄▄▄▄▄      ╓█L
█ █▌                            ▄▄▄▄█▀          └▀▀▀▀█Φ█▀"
█▌ █▄                            ██▀           ▄█▀
▐▌  ▀▌                       ▀▄██▀            ▄▀
▐█     ▂▂▂                ▄  ▄█▀           ▄▄▀
 █▌  ╙▀▀▀▀▀█▄         ▄   ███▀     ▁▂▃▄▄▄█▀▀
  █▄        █▌    █▄  ██▄█▀        ▔▔╙▀▐█
   █▄       █▌ ▀▀████▀▀▀               ▐▌
    ▀█     █▀                          ▐▌
     ╙█▄  ▄▌                        ╓█ ▐█
       └▀██  ╓▄▄µ╓▄▄µ            ,▄█▀┘  █▌    ▄▄ ╓▄▄µ
         ██▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄       ╓▄▄█▀▀      ▀█▄█▀▀▀██▄╙▀█▄▄
          ▀╙    ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀╙           `      "▀▀  └╙
You Can See Me Now, Hi :}
VARANIDA

▄██   ▄███▄
              ▄███████  ██
              ██    ▀████▀
             ██
  ▄▄  ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▄▄
▄███████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████
▀███████    █████    ███████▀
  ▀█████    █████    █████▀
   ███████████████████████
    █████▄  ▀▀▀▀▀  ▄█████
     ▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
|Hello Again
GWhitePaperG
GAnn ThreadG
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 06:54:44 PM

No I won't be selling my last Bitcoin.  They can buy all of my coins for $1M each except the last one which isn't available at any price.  So there you go I have proven they can't buy all the coins.

Come on think about it, nobody can force you (or anyone else) to sell, so nobody can forcibly acquire ALL Bitcoins.  They can acquire some and the more they try to acquire the higher they will drive the price.  Even trying to acquire a significant fraction would drive the price extremely high but unless every single Bitcoin "coinholder" is willing to sell every single coin they own then no it is not possible to buy all the Bitcoins.

Try that with any other asset.  
Is it possible for someone to buy all the land on earth?  all the gold? all the apartment buildings?  all the shares of all the companies? Pretty silly to even think about it.
mechs

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 04:19:44 AM

Though it is fair to say have a very small # of huge holders of the currency would be detrimental to its longterm viability.
saif313

Activity: 84

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 07:26:59 AM

where we will buried this dead bitcoin because its not alone many peoples also going with this  Lips sealed

Kickstart4

Activity: 67

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 06:40:03 PM

The prices will rise indeed but if he decides to sell people won't trust as prices will start downfalling.
johncarpe64

Activity: 420

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:40:54 AM

No I won't be selling my last Bitcoin.  They can buy all of my coins for $1M each except the last one which isn't available at any price.  So there you go I have proven they can't buy all the coins.

Come on think about it, nobody can force you (or anyone else) to sell, so nobody can forcibly acquire ALL Bitcoins.  They can acquire some and the more they try to acquire the higher they will drive the price.  Even trying to acquire a significant fraction would drive the price extremely high but unless every single Bitcoin "coinholder" is willing to sell every single coin they own then no it is not possible to buy all the Bitcoins.

Try that with any other asset.  
Is it possible for someone to buy all the land on earth?  all the gold? all the apartment buildings?  all the shares of all the companies? Pretty silly to even think about it.

Even if the government were to somehow coerce owners of bitcoin to sell all of their bitcoin them them, the government would still not own all of the bitcoin. There have been some transactions that have sent outputs to addresses that have no valid private key (this may not be a 100% correct technical way of saying this, but the TL;DR version is that it is that BTC was sent to an address that is impossible to be spent from). 
philiveyjr
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 07:34:01 AM

Oooooh, I can hardly wait. Who is he? The price for my bitcoins will be $1 million each. This guy will make me rich. I will pay good money to know who he is.

actually it would be $infinity.  woohoo!

Or BTC r just wiped out...n ppl move to other newer Crypto currencies.!! That sounds more likely to me.!

SW725

Activity: 81

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 01:11:33 PM

Then we will all be living in world of cash and cash alone.
sumeet

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 03:56:38 AM

does it mean 51-attack will happen if someone buy more than 51% BTC
grumpyoldtroll

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 05:35:12 AM

Then we will all be living in world of cash and cash alone.

lol.. Smiley Which we all are doing today.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 05:40:59 AM

does it mean 51-attack will happen if someone buy more than 51% BTC

No. A 51% attack refers to mining capacity. Owning bitcoins doesn't give you any power or control over Bitcoin (except perhaps the exchange rate).

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: