Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:09:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What can I use Bitcoin miners for other than mining?  (Read 21360 times)
allcoinminer

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 07:58:15 AM

I believe we can cook egg and food if we put it directly on the heat sink..

Egg cooking is not possible, but you can practically heat water for drinking or bathing.
Keep water in a metal container and place over the heatsink or hot air outlet.
Make sure you keep water in an airtight container.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 08:31:46 AM

I keep seeing people state that heating with miners is bad for your health, but with no proof presented. Proof or BS.

Its BS, the chemical that these idiots were talking about is the fire retardant coating. It is toxic IF the board is on fire, within 10 seconds the fire should be self-extinguished. The smoke is toxic gas.

Some dumb ass confused this with the "smell" by from the warm exhaust fan. The smell is most likely from cooling oil residue from manufactured metal parts in the miner.

Their argument about high temp is laughable. They said its safe from normal computer because its not as hot as bitcoin miners. Dumbest shit i've heard. Pick an IR camera and look into your computer retards.

My source: Work in datacentre industry, EE degree.
FattyMcButterpants

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 09:08:27 AM

I keep seeing people state that heating with miners is bad for your health, but with no proof presented. Proof or BS.

Its BS, the chemical that these idiots were talking about is the fire retardant coating. It is toxic IF the board is on fire, within 10 seconds the fire should be self-extinguished. The smoke is toxic gas.

Some dumb ass confused this with the "smell" by from the warm exhaust fan. The smell is most likely from cooling oil residue from manufactured metal parts in the miner.

Their argument about high temp is laughable. They said its safe from normal computer because its not as hot as bitcoin miners. Dumbest shit i've heard. Pick an IR camera and look into your computer retards.

Well to be fair, it is generally bad for your health when things catch fire in your home, but this is regardless of any chemicals inside what has caught fire. 
philiveyjr
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 10:24:45 AM

I use my obsolete miners as dust collectors. I live in the desert so they'll soon be virtually invisible. Maybe thousands of years from now some archaeologist will uncover them and wonder what the hell they were for.

Hahahahaa..!! I use mine for the same.!! + I switch it on when its cold...works as a pretty good heater.! Cheesy

Borisz

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 09:03:32 AM

Thank you for clarifying!
mistercoin
Legendary

Activity: 1042
Merit: 1000

https://r.honeygain.me/XEDDM2B07C

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2014, 06:35:22 PM

Well to be fair, it is generally bad for your health when things catch fire in your home, but this is regardless of any chemicals inside what has caught fire. 

OMG HAHAHAAHA. I just actually had my first laugh of today. Thank you.

jdany

Activity: 644

Inspired

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 02:31:28 AM

My garage is an amazing 75 degrees every morning, no matter what temp it is outside.
I don't even care about bitcoins anymore - fetching shit out of my trunk in my pajamas without nipping is way more valuable.
karlinx

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 06:59:42 PM

toys for your childrens
so when they grow up they will say "hey i have played with bitcoin miners when i was 2 years old"
i don't think there is any other use of those ASIC miners other then bitcoin mining
cryptocoinfan

Activity: 10

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 09:57:11 PM

Heater for you home.
yes if it doesnt bring profit
timk225

Activity: 955
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 01:39:31 PM

If you all had listened to ME, and not bought these damn ASICs in the first place, this topic wouldn't exist now!!!

Admit it - I was right!  You pissed away lots of money on a scam that made ASIC manufacturers rich, and you got the shaft and an empty bank account.

Tim was right.  Everyone say it.
Seketsuna

Activity: 294

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 02:04:28 PM

You can use the old miners it to scam  Wink
Automatic Monkey

Activity: 503

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 08:31:25 PM

How about using them for something really different, like cryptography?  Cool

Blockchains can be used for different things, and an ASIC might be an efficient way to secure data and communications.

Try ShadowCash, the first coin with instant and decentralized private transactions!
SDC address: SUPERMAN8eDvcPL6RWYMVwtPzUtqWi2zCr
Wallet Private Key: 7S6fJBEzXqJuuGCvEPcgBSbd5wmjVTvDj7591gNKcTmS7X47e98
BTCXE

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 03:48:50 PM

show off to chichs with your miners, they will get horny.

best use ever

BTCXE.com  - The simple bitcoin converter
BTCXE

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 04:12:24 PM

Can the machines not be reconfigured to support / mine / sustain any other blockchain technologies ?

BTCXE.com  - The simple bitcoin converter
picolo

Activity: 1022

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 08:34:30 PM

If you don't need your Bitcoin Miner, you can sell it for a better price.
Something is better than nothing actually.

Agree, the price on ebay is ridiculously higher then market price for some reason.

You have to find someone that buys it and pays all the Ebay fees but you will probably end up with a better deal that running your hardware especially if you pay for electricity
Bitcoin++

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 04:11:47 PM

Can the machines not be reconfigured to support / mine / sustain any other blockchain technologies ?

You can mine testnet Bitcoins. They are supposed to be worthless though.
docco

Activity: 14

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 09:38:46 PM

who knows about the future, right? Cheesy
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2014, 10:35:14 PM

No, someone attempted to monetise these in the past and a number of changes were made to testnet to make it worthless to prevent people mining testnet into oblivion making it impossible to test anything on it. You can reset testnet difficulty to 1, and the testnet blockchain is not set in stone, it can be reset to a new genesis block. There's a reason it's called "test"net. It's for testing changes easily, not to make it another worthless piece of shit altcoin that someone tries to make money off.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
chinesebob

Activity: 64

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 05:52:28 AM

I could probably find another use for something running Linux 3.10 openwrt on mips with ethernet and wifi if I had to, you could disconnect the ASICs and run it as a router or file share or repeater
FattyMcButterpants

Activity: 448

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 10:58:18 PM

No, someone attempted to monetise these in the past and a number of changes were made to testnet to make it worthless to prevent people mining testnet into oblivion making it impossible to test anything on it. You can reset testnet difficulty to 1, and the testnet blockchain is not set in stone, it can be reset to a new genesis block. There's a reason it's called "test"net. It's for testing changes easily, not to make it another worthless piece of shit altcoin that someone tries to make money off.
This doesn't mean that people won't try to somehow profit off of the test net. All any of this really means is that whoever get suckered into buying any testnet coins would most likely end up with another worthless altcoin
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: