Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 07:14:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][APT] Aptcoin★ASIC Resistant Scrypt In-Motion(NM) w/Aptcurve Retargeting  (Read 56714 times)
aptcoin (OP)

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 12:35:21 AM

Quick update: We've been testing the new re-target and things are appearing good here on testnet.  The real world is of course different than test environments, but we're wrapping up our testing and are looking to release a new wallet soon.  The question we're debating is which block to start the new re-target on since it's a hard fork.  We're assuming the people watching this forum are the majority of the people running wallets, so we wanted to get a gauge of how long it would take to get everyone updated.  We're guessing about a week, but could be convinced to go a shorter time (~4 days or so) given that there are no known pool operators that might be the most likely to create a competing chain.

Anyone want to comment?

How about block #10,000 ? Should be in roughly 7 days from now.

That should work out well.  Thanks!
woot

Activity: 34

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 07:22:00 PM

Quick update: We've been testing the new re-target and things are appearing good here on testnet.  The real world is of course different than test environments, but we're wrapping up our testing and are looking to release a new wallet soon.  The question we're debating is which block to start the new re-target on since it's a hard fork.  We're assuming the people watching this forum are the majority of the people running wallets, so we wanted to get a gauge of how long it would take to get everyone updated.  We're guessing about a week, but could be convinced to go a shorter time (~4 days or so) given that there are no known pool operators that might be the most likely to create a competing chain.

Anyone want to comment?

How about block #10,000 ? Should be in roughly 7 days from now.

That should work out well.  Thanks!
I will mark my calender!
aptcoin (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 05:09:00 AM

We've finally come out of our extensive testing phase with a new difficulty re-targeting algorithm called AptCurve (the whitepaper in the OP has an updated Appendix with details).  Most coins have similar PoW algorithms, but since ours is novel and unique, it has very different characteristics than anything else out there -- meaning that no existing algorithm for re-target was making sense for this coin.  Since we've just developed a new algorithm, we're not saying it's perfect, but we believe the idea behind it best suits our PoW at this time.

In order to launch this, a hard fork in Aptcoin is implemented at block 10,000 and this wallet upgrade is MANDATORY.  The forum user 'radus' first recommended this block number because it will be coming up in the next 6-7 days from now and we agreed that it's a fair amount of time to have everyone upgraded.  A special thanks to those that responded in addition to 'radus', including 'Singman33', 'Spidercoin', and 'woot'.

For now, upgrading will feel no different than the wallet that you're running.  At block 10,001, AptCurve will kick in, although it may take a few blocks to accurately find its center and be the most effective.

Please update NOW with the new wallets linked in the OP (version 0.9.0.2).

And Thank You, to all of the brave crypto-currency pioneers.  We are here in this grand experiment together.
aptcoin (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 05:13:43 AM

Also don't forget to vote for us on AskCoin.net! We're currently listed as the first coin to be listed Tuesday morning at 04:00 UTC. Lets make sure Businesscoin doesn't run ahead anytime soon.  Grin

cryptex.biz

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 04:48:13 AM

APTcoin now trading at Cryptex

https://cryptex.biz/market/91

Cryptex Exchange:  http://cryptex.biz
aptcoin (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 08:23:12 PM

Please make sure you're upgraded to the latest wallets!  The block at which we hard fork is coming up -- likely in < 24 hours.
aptcoin (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 08:59:04 PM

Just a quick update that the fork appears to have gone through without any issue.  We will of course continue to keep an eye on the network.
lzx_2395

Activity: 5

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 12:12:12 AM

Is this coin dead? Shocked
binary_tree

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 01:33:10 AM

Dev,Could we have a stand-alone miner?
Build-in miner is not efficiet.

woot

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 05:51:11 AM

Are any other exchanges on the horizon?
mysignature

Activity: 9

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 09:32:04 AM

I've mined for 1 day with E31230V3,got nothing  Angry Angry
radus

Activity: 154

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 10:59:25 AM

Dev,Could we have a stand-alone miner?
Build-in miner is not efficiet.

please read the ANN and the forum. You will see that there is already an independent miner released.

radus

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 05:15:44 PM

Sorry for the double-post in advance.

Some of you might have noticed the wallets inability to sync for the last 6 hours or so - that Is entirely my doing.
No, the wallet is not broken and it is still perfectly capable of synchronizing - there just hasn't been generated any blocks for the last 6 hours.

I went through the code and noticed that the new algorithm for difficulty retargeting is, although whole-heartedly meant to be better... but in fact it's not.
Doing a few preliminary tests (offline) showed that difficulty retargeting is extremely agressive when a lot of hashing power is thrown at it. I wanted to bring this into light while also showing the downside to this new algorithm.
So I threw all my hashing-power against the network and thus got the difficulty for a n-factor 13 block up to something in the vicinity of 1.7k compared to the roughly 220 it was before. Don't worry, when the current block is solved, difficulty should be down quite drastically - although that might take some time.

TL;DR - devs... fix your new diff. algo.

woot

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 07:09:26 PM

Some of you might have noticed the wallets inability to sync for the last 6 hours or so - that Is entirely my doing.
No, the wallet is not broken and it is still perfectly capable of synchronizing - there just hasn't been generated any blocks for the last 6 hours.

I went through the code and noticed that the new algorithm for difficulty retargeting is, although whole-heartedly meant to be better... but in fact it's not.
Doing a few preliminary tests (offline) showed that difficulty retargeting is extremely agressive when a lot of hashing power is thrown at it. I wanted to bring this into light while also showing the downside to this new algorithm.
So I threw all my hashing-power against the network and thus got the difficulty for a n-factor 13 block up to something in the vicinity of 1.7k compared to the roughly 220 it was before. Don't worry, when the current block is solved, difficulty should be down quite drastically - although that might take some time.

It looks like everything is back to normal now, But good to know there are people testing this stuff out! So do you think this is worse than before the retargeting or not?
radus

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 08:25:52 AM

It looks like everything is back to normal now, But good to know there are people testing this stuff out! So do you think this is worse than before the retargeting or not?

Definitely worse, but it can become better with a little tweaking.

aptcoin (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 04:15:30 AM

Radus, thanks for testing :-)

I'm curious why you think this algorithm is worse than before though.  For example, in the past we were stuck on blocks (i.e. a handful) for many days, and that has not happened again and our network continues (or would you disagree?).

Glad that you noticed the algorithm is aggressive, but from what you describe, it sounds like you're trying to make the algorithm re-target up, and you should see that we specifically dampened the re-target up.  Where we're really aggressive is targeting difficulty back down, which is why the network is chugging along despite this test.  We're not sure that we fully understand the scenario that you're testing, but we did test ramping up hash power and seeing what happens after a stuck block quite a bit.  Can you help us to understand better what you did and why it caused problems?  From here things appear to be the expected outcome, but it sounds like we missed something.  What would you suggest?
minerjoen

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 04:40:04 AM

got my wallet mining Cheesy

With an i7 at 3.6ghz (3th gen) i get like 1 khash??

Edit, nvm i'm out gpu is already possible i see.

Bitcoin: 1GPjrqoWGQfqyCEYnPhbA3nWN9dmMwFHRE
Elementrem: 0xF4789b95826C4474B3E7C780Fd90f639b51C4B6c
radus

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 08:29:08 AM

Radus, thanks for testing :-)

I'm curious why you think this algorithm is worse than before though.  For example, in the past we were stuck on blocks (i.e. a handful) for many days, and that has not happened again and our network continues (or would you disagree?).

Glad that you noticed the algorithm is aggressive, but from what you describe, it sounds like you're trying to make the algorithm re-target up, and you should see that we specifically dampened the re-target up.  Where we're really aggressive is targeting difficulty back down, which is why the network is chugging along despite this test.  We're not sure that we fully understand the scenario that you're testing, but we did test ramping up hash power and seeing what happens after a stuck block quite a bit.  Can you help us to understand better what you did and why it caused problems?  From here things appear to be the expected outcome, but it sounds like we missed something.  What would you suggest?

I'm gonna have to say sorry here. The preliminary test was over the course of a few hours. I've done some testing now over the last 2 days and I've gotta say, it's definitely better, but difficulty doesn't scale quite as well as I had hoped (for each n-factor). It's still easy for me to ramp up the difficulty and let it hang at a high n-factor for a few hours, but then it drops significantly more than I previously believed. I don't know what went wrong in my previous test. Disregard my previous statement. The new algo is working much better, but I still feel it could handle a little tweaking - but that can wait for another required hardfork. Well done devs Smiley

myyuxuan

Activity: 338
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 08:46:21 AM

may be a dead coin

We are the first!--DACRS (Distributed Autonomous Corporations RuntimeSystem)+dsKYEj7rMxGw151ab4YGhfhiBAXq1aSna6

Get Free VpnCoin, Join BitNet ! Vy8GzHu8x95cwHBrtsB2bRbrWQW4ApjZ2y
BitNet(VPNCOIN)第二论赠币:Vy8GzHu8x95cwHBrtsB2bRbrWQW4ApjZ2y
topdoge

Activity: 5

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 07:45:37 PM

got my wallet mining Cheesy

With an i7 at 3.6ghz (3th gen) i get like 1 khash??

Edit, nvm i'm out gpu is already possible i see.

Can I have the GPUMiner? I'm really interested in this coin. I invested in Vert a long time ago and saw it go to the moon. I really don't think this coin will be any different.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: