Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 11:24:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What coin will surpass bitcoin?  (Read 2507 times)
couchdive

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 05:24:21 PM

I do not think it is going to happen. Unless the coin crosses the usability barrier for common consumers and is adopted early by major retailers.

Essentially, bitcoin already has the latter. I think one of the major problems with wide acceptance is the difficulty buying bitcoin. We need relaxed FenCen requirements and/or a major credit card company to stop chargebacks for crypto purchases that can be verified via blockchain easing on the anti-fraud requirements (<- this is probably never going to happen)
MaxDZ8

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 05:32:36 PM

Surpass BTC... in what terms?
Market cap? I don't think so. What BTC is: a replacement for long-distance, at-least-2-zeros transactions, also compatible with a lot of internet services... but too slow for brick-n-mortar. In terms of adoption it will be surpassed in the near future.

The extra privacy of cryptonote coins could be their driving force... or their biggest problem. For more traditional solutions, I see multi-pow as a step forward in building something meant to last.
manrus
Legendary

Activity: 1334
Merit: 1004

TTM

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 05:35:11 PM

NXT  Wink
Hiraga

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 05:37:18 PM

Bitcoin is leader for years to come. No other coin will get the same amount of adoption. Besides bitcoin is not standing still it's being further developed upon so it won't get oldfashioned very soon.
cisahasa
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 05:37:35 PM

none, in this shitcoin scheme

devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 05:38:31 PM

bitcoin is not standing still it's being further developed upon

wow, that's something new Cheesy
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 05:44:24 PM

not a clone for sure, or semi-clone, adding just one new feature don't make a new coin not a clone
virtualdn
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1093

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 05:46:42 PM

none.

1 BTC = 1 BTC
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 07:13:13 PM

A crypto your average person in the street could understand.

and the gold medal goes too.

theats the real dumbass about all of the "innovation" i've seen todate, all adds complication, ONLY a simplification of crypto will work for mass adoption but thats lost on most programming types in crypto.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 07:14:16 PM

It makes sense that someday another "better" coin could come. Speaking for myself, I would not even consider using another system unless it....

1. Is open source.
2. Is a distributed, decentralized network.
3. Has no pre-mine option.
4. Has an unchangeable and limited supply.
5. Is accepted more widely than bitcoin. 
6. Is based on stronger encryption than bitcoin.

Than maybe Monero ?

None coin is accepted more widely then btc. Few coins have all the rest and some also things that btc cant copy.
Right now there are many currencies on world. So no worry for coins that will work well and be of some use.
Arctic

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 07:15:31 PM

not going to happen

Time spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted.
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 07:19:32 PM

not a clone for sure, or semi-clone, adding just one new feature don't make a new coin not a clone

disagree I think a clone or near clone is the most likely to succeed, look even supposed ground up written newer cryptos use btc to attract people, and little outside of btc code is trusted....and for damn good reason. bitcoin actually got alot right.
digitalindustry

Activity: 798

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 07:45:05 PM

It makes sense that someday another "better" coin could come. Speaking for myself, I would not even consider using another system unless it....

1. Is open source.

its most certainly already built (and was built from ideas floating around this forum and privately)

its blocks and pieces are floating around.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
Nullu

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 08:06:11 PM

A crypto your average person in the street could understand.

and the gold medal goes too.

theats the real dumbass about all of the "innovation" i've seen todate, all adds complication, ONLY a simplification of crypto will work for mass adoption but thats lost on most programming types in crypto.

There's nothing wrong with having complex features under the hood, but that's where they belong. Under the hood. I downloaded the Bytecoin wallet recently. What average person in the street is going to have any clue how to use a command-line interface? The only way cryptos will gain any kind of public following is if they simplify the wallet even more, but still allow advanced users to use the full interface. Stick the current wallet under an "advanced" setting, and focus on simplifying the wallet so much my gran could understand it

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
testz
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1018

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 08:07:27 PM

BitBTC (BitSharesX pledged asset)

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 08:59:01 PM

I very much doubt marketing will do the trick, but fundamentals can. I doubt a POS coin will do this but another POW coin that improves on XBT can.

1. Is open source.

XMR (Monero) meets all of these requirements except for 5. If XBT hits the 1 MB blocklimit wall before something is done then 5 can also fall. Add to this built in privacy, fast 1 min blocks, etc., and we have a potential winner here.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2478
Merit: 1580

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 09:26:50 PM

I think bitcoin will stay relevant for many years to come,
However I also think that we will see a new crypto coin surpass bitcoins market cap within 3 years.
Im am unsure of the coin, but it is obvious we live in a world that sees many fads, fade in and out.
Not to mention bitcoin is far from perfect, with other coins proving to provide a better system.
What do you think? What kind of "marketing" campaign is it going to take to surpass bitcoin?

Surpass in market cap? That's possible, in fact it already happened (well, sort of) I remember DOGE in its early days being 1st on coinmarketcap for a few hours or so, simply because someone bought small amounts at ridiculous price. Market cap is important indicator but can be very deceptive short-terms.

Ironically it's not really in any altcoin's or investor best interest to surpass bitcoin. Let's say that everybody jumps from bitcoin to other, better altcoin, and then jumps from that coin to yet another one that is even better, and so on... The crypto currencies market as a whole would lose any stability. No one would invest significant amount of $ in any coin knowing that it can become worthless overnight if a new 'currently best' coin is released. That's why bitcoin is still number one, despite all the faster, more secure, better features alts.

As someone said, bitcoin doesn't have to be perfect, all it needs is to be 'good enough'.

▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████████▀█████████████▄
███████████▄▐▀▄██████████
███████▀▀███████▀▀███████
██████▀███▄▄████████████
█████████▐█████████▐█████
█████████▐█████████▐█████
██████████▀███▀███▄██████
████████████████▄▄███████
███████████▄▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████
▀█████▄▄████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
Peach
BTC bitcoin
Buy and Sell
Bitcoin P2P
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████████
██████▄
▄██
█████████████████▄
▄███████
██████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀

▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀
EUROPE | AFRICA
LATIN AMERICA
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

███████▄█
███████▀
██▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄
████████████▀
▐███████████▌
▐███████████▌
████████████▄
██████████████
███▀███▀▀███▀
Download on the
App Store
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

▄██▄
██████▄
█████████▄
████████████▄
███████████████
████████████▀
█████████▀
██████▀
▀██▀
GET IT ON
Google Play
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 09:30:18 PM

As someone said, bitcoin doesn't have to be perfect, all it needs is to be 'good enough'.

This is very true; however if Bitcoin does not address the 1MB blocksize limit via a hard fork, it will not be "good enough" once we reach this limit likely within 12 months.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
dobbscoin

Activity: 134

The End Times are Upon Us

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 02:23:58 AM
Last edit: August 21, 2014, 08:58:26 PM by dobbscoin

When the Pleasure Saucers arrive, your silly BitCoins will be worthlesss..
The Saucer People don't take them, and you won't be able to buy (BOB) at ANY price.

Give yourself to (Bob) freely, joyously, without an atom of restraint --NOW -- and your worries are over.
Hail ERIS & Praise "BOB" - http://dobbscoin.info

The ONLY Crypto-Currency accepted on the Pleasure Saucers.
"BOB" brings a NEW DESTINY for the abnormal. (BOB) comes to JUSTIFY our sins;
to UNMASK the Conspiracy, and to get us back the SLACK they stole away!

When two or three are gathered in my name, and I am not there; do you not feel my hands in your pockets? - J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

ARE YOU LOOKING FOR SOMETHING FOR NOTHING?
Then you've come to the right place.
http://www.dobbscoin.info
DON'T  GET  FORKED *
SUPPORT THIS PROJECT AND FOLLOW
IT ON TWITTER @DobbsCOIN
 FACEBOOK: The Dobbscoin Conspiracy

DOWNLOAD WALLETS

HOME PAGE: http://www.dobbscoin.info
 Explorer:  http://explorer.dobbscoin.info
 Pool: http://pool.dobbscoin.net  
 Faucet: http://faucet.dobbscoin.info
 Spin Game: http://dobbsspin.dobbscoin.info

ALL Spin Game Losses GO DIRECTLY TO FAUCET.
 May the LUCK PLANE BE WITH YOU.

21 Mil Total Coins / ZERO PREMINE  
ETERNAL SALVATION OR TRIPLE YOUR MONEY BACK

WE KNOW: Dobbscoin is NOT one of those "Pre-mined as much in the Genesis Block as are created the first six months", 'mega coins'
like people seem to want.. and it's not some misspelled Japanese animal meme that everyone told you *YOU NEED*
..and it's not one of the coins that got created by TheCabal of exchange developers
and exchange developers friends that your allowed to want so much..

It's an honest to goodness, unattractive to pumping and dumping, long term,
good faith crypto currency, people always pretend that they allegedly want.

Avoid False Prophets, Cultivate appropriate Slack.

GET RIGHT WITH "BOB" - http://www.subgenius.com

(BOB) Dobbscoin is the Officially Approved crypto-currency of the Church of the SubGenius, a TWENTY+ Year old UFO 'parody religion/SEX Cult' that targets many better known belief systems. The Church of the SubGenius teaches a complex belief system that focuses on the clip-art Deity, J. R. "Bob" Dobbs, and shines the light upon A Global Conspiracy bent on stealing your Slack. Of course, what 'religion'/Cult would be complete without UFO's, ..tons of SEX and a grand Armageddon scenario.  More: Wikipedia

"BOB" Dobbs in the Media
  • The Church of the SubGenius has been featured in: Playboy, WIRED, Rolling Stone, and preformed hundreds of successful Live Night Club Shows. "BOB" even has Nationally Distributed Video ARISE (Polygram). Not to mention "BOB" is endorsed by most major Counterculture Heroes and Subculture artists.
  • The Band 'SUBLIME' (1), shipped a 23 track '40 OZ OUNCES TO FREEDOM' CD through Skunk Records - with a Dobbshead on it.
  • The Band 'DEVO' (2) is SubGenius as fuck! (see below)
  • Negativland: You may have never heard of Negativland, but you've probably heard clips of their stuff as bumper music on late night programs such as Ground Zero w/Clyde Lewis.
Famous SubGenii include:
  • Robert Anton Wilson(3): "Pope BOB" was an ordained minister in the Church of the SubGenius, wrote for and was featured in the Three Fisted Tales of "BOB" book, and also featured "BOB" in The Illumanatus Trilogy; one of the many books he authored himself.
  • Patrick Volkerding(4) of Slackware Linux: 'Slackware' -duh
  • Timothy Leary,
  • Ken Kesey,
  • PeeWee Herman (click for image),
  • Wierd Al,
  • R. Crumb (Subculture Comics: Fritz the Cat/WEIRDO), drew & wrote for "BOB".
  • Penn Jillette of Penn and Teller IS a PAID Minister/Member of The Church of the SubGenius.
  • Jello Biafra to name just a few
More about Famous SubGenius

The Church of the SubGenius even has three weekly Syndicated Radio Shows, in 15 Markets.
WCSB Cleveland, WREK Atlanta & KPFA Berkeley, Ca, as well as countless of minor broadcast networks.

The Atari - ST (5)
At the time the Atari ST started shipping, a limited set of GEM fonts were included within the ROMs. These fonts featured the standard 8x8 pixel graphical character set for the ST (the main in-ROM "font" for GEM, and text-mode TOS operations in color modes) and contains a recognizable facsimile of the face of J. R. "Bob" Dobbs, (the figurehead of the Church of the Subgenius).

The FACT is.. (BOB) DobbsCoin is about Slack,
It's about FIGHTING The Conspiracy, and it's about getting BACK what THEY Stole away.
And if we just so happen to 'Survive The Great Cataclysms Through UFO Transport, while taking control through liberated weirdness by tapping our secret 'Abnormality Potential. ..then FUCK YES, I'll have TWO.

(1): 40 OZ OUNCES TO FREEDOM' CD initially/ltd. released with a Dobbshead on it. (no shit) (link1) (link2) (link3).
(2): Devo actively embraced the Church of the SubGenius in concert (source: Wikipedia). Mark Mothersbaugh of DEVO produced the audio for The Bobacatto, and you can watch him HERE speaking on The Conspiracy, the life-changing power of "BOB" and Slack. (source: ARISE The SubGenius Movie : Polygram Video).
(3): Wilson also joined the Church of the SubGenius, who referred to him as Pope Bob. He contributed to their literature, including the book Three-Fisted Tales of "Bob", and shared a stage with their founder, Rev. Ivan Stang on several occasions Winterstar-01 & Austin, TX. Wilson also founded the Guns and Dope Party, and its corresponding Burning Man theme camp. See also: Historia Discordia
(4): Patrick Volkerding, the software engineer known as the founder and maintainer of Slackware Linux distro, is a SubGenius. The use of the word Slack in "Slackware" is a homage to J. R. "Bob" Dobbs: "I'll admit that it was SubGenius inspired. In fact, back in the 2.0 through 3.0 days we used to print a dobbshead on each CD." -Patrick Volkerding.
(5)Atari ST: Atari ST BASIC had a dobbshead easter egg (image)
Hiraga

Activity: 178

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 07:47:40 AM

Marketcap can be irrelevant and useless for many coins. Someone could create a coin with 200 billion coins, premine it 100%, sell 1 for 0.1 btc and claim a marketcap of 20 billion us$  Cheesy
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: