Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 07:54:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S3 batch 6 overclocking  (Read 22991 times)
bernard75
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 30, 2014, 06:57:38 PM

In south east europe currently my S3 temps are 47-49c so no attempt for overclocking until
winter comes...good to see the freqs 
Winter is coming! Russian winter.
pekatete (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 08:24:59 PM

Updated OP with upgrade to cgminer 4.6.1 (and 4.6.0 with firmware update).

moss

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 09:03:04 PM

Which firmware did you use with cgminer 4.6.1?
Was it this one - antMiner_S320140826.bin which it says supports S3+?  Is it ok for original S3s as well?
pekatete (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 09:07:44 PM

Was it this one - antMiner_S320140826.bin which it says supports S3+?  Is it ok for original S3s as well?

Yes, the latest firmware (for the S3+) will work with an original S3. My S3's are batch 6, which was before the S3+.
Note that after updating the firmware, you will have to re-install 4.6.1 as the firmware still ships with the bitmain cgminer (I think version 3 ..?)

moss

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 09:20:16 PM

Yes, the latest firmware (for the S3+) will work with an original S3. My S3's are batch 6, which was before the S3+.
Note that after updating the firmware, you will have to re-install 4.6.1 as the firmware still ships with the bitmain cgminer (I think version 3 ..?)

Many thanks. I'll give it a go. Smiley
pekatete (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 09:33:12 PM

Was it this one - antMiner_S320140826.bin which it says supports S3+?  Is it ok for original S3s as well?

I hope you know the nuasances of updating antminer firmware! Here's a recap that gets a few people.
When you update the firmware, it will re-set the IP to the default one (can't recall, is it 192.168.1.99 ??) and set the network to static IP. So if you have any rigs on that IP, change them before you start.
Also since you'll be updating from a different IP, the UI will keep showing and reporting that it is still updating (in fact it may have already finished!). Thus after a minute or two after initiating the firmware update, open a new browser window and point it to 192.168.1.99
The first thing you should do after updating and loging in is to change the network back to DHCP client, then you'll be able to download cgminer, else you may (will) get a wget error.

moss

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:08:09 PM

Was it this one - antMiner_S320140826.bin which it says supports S3+?  Is it ok for original S3s as well?

I hope you know the nuasances of updating antminer firmware! Here's a recap that gets a few people.
When you update the firmware, it will re-set the IP to the default one (can't recall, is it 192.168.1.99 ??) and set the network to static IP. So if you have any rigs on that IP, change them before you start.
Also since you'll be updating from a different IP, the UI will keep showing and reporting that it is still updating (in fact it may have already finished!). Thus after a minute or two after initiating the firmware update, open a new browser window and point it to 192.168.1.99
The first thing you should do after updating and loging in is to change the network back to DHCP client, then you'll be able to download cgminer, else you may (will) get a wget error.

Many thanks! I updated the firmware and then installed 4.6.1. The process seemed to go ok, but could you remind me how I check that the new cgminer is properly installed?  I only say that because if I look at the  system -> software tab, it says cgminer version is 3.12.0-1.  Possibly this screen doesn't get updated by loading 4.6.1, but thought I'd better check! Smiley
pekatete (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2014, 03:14:01 PM

Many thanks! I updated the firmware and then installed 4.6.1. The process seemed to go ok, but could you remind me how I check that the new cgminer is properly installed?  I only say that because if I look at the  system -> software tab, it says cgminer version is 3.12.0-1.  Possibly this screen doesn't get updated by loading 4.6.1, but thought I'd better check! Smiley
The UI will still say version 3.12.0 though I cannot recall how to return the correct version after you have updated. I vaguely recall you have to check via the SSH command line by issuing a call to the API (check the S3 Support thread, it is mentioned there).

moss

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:34:50 PM

The UI will still say version 3.12.0 though I cannot recall how to return the correct version after you have updated. I vaguely recall you have to check via the SSH command line by issuing a call to the API (check the S3 Support thread, it is mentioned there).

Yes, you were right. 
From the S3 support thread, you use: /usr/bin/cgminer-api
Along with a lot of other stuff, this reports that I do have version 4.6.1.
Cheers.
moss

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 04:18:10 PM

Yes, you were right. 
Cheers.

My initial impressions with the new firmware and 4.6.1 is that the hash rate is very erratic, e.g. set on standard frequency of 218.75, it's varying between about 327 and 500, average so far 438, but gradually reducing.  I'll give it some time to settle.
pekatete (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2014, 04:28:33 PM

Many thanks! I updated the firmware and then installed 4.6.1. The process seemed to go ok, but could you remind me how I check that the new cgminer is properly installed?  I only say that because if I look at the  system -> software tab, it says cgminer version is 3.12.0-1.  Possibly this screen doesn't get updated by loading 4.6.1, but thought I'd better check! Smiley

Yes, you were right.  
Cheers.

My initial impressions with the new firmware and 4.6.1 is that the hash rate is very erratic, e.g. set on standard frequency of 218.75, it's varying between about 327 and 500, average so far 438, but gradually reducing.  I'll give it some time to settle.

Are you powering your rig properly and is your HW rate "normal"? I'd not worry too much about the 5s rate, as it can shoot all the way up to (in my case) 650, the key one is the avg rate. 438 seems low, but it "should" pick up in time (mine usually take 45mins to an hour to reach their peak avg).
PS. Also, what is your ambient? Do your temps look OK?

moss

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 09:20:09 PM

Many thanks! I updated the firmware and then installed 4.6.1. The process seemed to go ok, but could you remind me how I check that the new cgminer is properly installed?  I only say that because if I look at the  system -> software tab, it says cgminer version is 3.12.0-1.  Possibly this screen doesn't get updated by loading 4.6.1, but thought I'd better check! Smiley

Yes, you were right.  
Cheers.

My initial impressions with the new firmware and 4.6.1 is that the hash rate is very erratic, e.g. set on standard frequency of 218.75, it's varying between about 327 and 500, average so far 438, but gradually reducing.  I'll give it some time to settle.

Are you powering your rig properly and is your HW rate "normal"? I'd not worry too much about the 5s rate, as it can shoot all the way up to (in my case) 650, the key one is the avg rate. 438 seems low, but it "should" pick up in time (mine usually take 45mins to an hour to reach their peak avg).

This S3 is one of two powered by an EVGA1000G. It's current average is 440 (I rebooted it 2.5 hours ago as it was drifting downwards quite badly), running at stock speed.  HW is 2.  Ambient is 27 degC - I close the windows at dusk, before that it was 24.  Temps currently 45 (was 43 with windows open).  Increasing frequency to just 225 immediately causes an 'x' in one of the asics.  I will try running the S3 on its own PSU tomorrow to test the power aspect.  Cheers.

pekatete (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2014, 09:46:56 PM

Yes, you were right.  
Cheers.

This S3 is one of two powered by an EVGA1000G. It's current average is 440 (I rebooted it 2.5 hours ago as it was drifting downwards quite badly), running at stock speed.  HW is 2.  Ambient is 27 degC - I close the windows at dusk, before that it was 24.  Temps currently 45 (was 43 with windows open).  Increasing frequency to just 225 immediately causes an 'x' in one of the asics.  I will try running the S3 on its own PSU tomorrow to test the power aspect.  Cheers.

It may indeed be the powering but that PSU should be very confortable running 2 S3's at stock (even overclocked within reason!).
That you get an x when you clock to 225 is rather telling though. If this is one of the very early S3's, did you get a chance to re-apply the heat paste?
I mention this because with one of my upgraded S3's (from S1), I used heat-pads rather than paste on the chips, and intitally some of the pads moved slightly from the chips when I was adding the heatsink; that unit kept "throwing up" and x now and again, and after updating to 4.6.1 it became a "main-stay". I decided to check the rig, unscrewed the heatsink and discovered what I mentioned above, aka the slipped heat-pads. I put them in place and added a bit of paste to the back and the x is now history (well, its only been a few days, but it has not appeared again ..... yet).
So it may be the case that if you have an early S3 (which were notorious for too much paste or non at all!) AND the unit was hashing OK before applying 4.6.1 then it is worth investigating that, otherwise I'd say 4.6.1 does not suit that unit.

moss

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 03:29:39 PM

It may indeed be the powering but that PSU should be very confortable running 2 S3's at stock (even overclocked within reason!).
That you get an x when you clock to 225 is rather telling though. If this is one of the very early S3's, did you get a chance to re-apply the heat paste?
I mention this because with one of my upgraded S3's (from S1), I used heat-pads rather than paste on the chips, and intitally some of the pads moved slightly from the chips when I was adding the heatsink; that unit kept "throwing up" and x now and again, and after updating to 4.6.1 it became a "main-stay". I decided to check the rig, unscrewed the heatsink and discovered what I mentioned above, aka the slipped heat-pads. I put them in place and added a bit of paste to the back and the x is now history (well, its only been a few days, but it has not appeared again ..... yet).
So it may be the case that if you have an early S3 (which were notorious for too much paste or non at all!) AND the unit was hashing OK before applying 4.6.1 then it is worth investigating that, otherwise I'd say 4.6.1 does not suit that unit.

Yes, it is one of the early units and when received, thermal paste was splashed all over the asic connectors. After cleaning, I first tried Artic Silver, which I use when o/c CPUs. This gave me the lowest temps I have seen with this S3, but after scare stories on the S3 o/c thread about Arctic Silver being electrically conductive, I removed it and applied Prolimatech, which increased temps by 1 degC compared to Arctic Silver.  I wasn't impressed by that, so bought some Zalman paste to try, which comes in a little bottle with a brush - easiest to apply by a mile, but quite expensive.  This gave the same temps as the Prolimatech.  TBH, I wish I hadn't removed the Arctic Silver now, although it's horrible to apply as it tends to trail as you lift off the applicator, so massive care is needed. 
Anyway, to try to get rid of the 'x', I redid all of the paste this morning, using the Zalman, as it's the quickest.  Unfortunately, the first time I ran at 225 again, the 'x' showed up in chain 1.  Had to reboot to get rid of it and reset to 218.  Just out of interest, I then tried it at 231.25.  After about 30 minutes, I got an 'x' again, but in chain 2 this time!  The chain 1 'x' has not re-appeared after 1.5 hours at 231.25.  Is there any risk, do you think, running with an 'x', because it seems to run very well at 231.25 apart from that?  Oh, BTW, I'm also running the S3 on its own Enermax PSU now, although as you suspected, I don't think that's the problem.
pekatete (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 03:49:03 PM

Is there any risk, do you think, running with an 'x', because it seems to run very well at 231.25 apart from that?

In my experience (and use), when / if the pool-side speed is within or above the expected, I tend to ignore the x. I actually have an S3 (though overclocked to 262.5) that from time to time gives the a couple of x's on the first chain and on other occassions one x on the second chain. My solution ...? I added a line to the scheduled tasks to reboot after every 8 hrs (that was after observation of the pattern of the x's appearing!).

Anyway, to try to get rid of the 'x', I redid all of the paste this morning, using the Zalman, as it's the quickest.  Unfortunately, the first time I ran at 225 again, the 'x' showed up in chain 1.  Had to reboot to get rid of it and reset to 218.

My point exactly above (with regard to the x disappearing after reboot). Bummer that you had to re-do the paste, but since the S3 units to some extent are unique, that seems the only way you can get a solution for any individual unit / batch. Still, if all fails for now (and I were in your position), my last throw of the dice would be the blue wire hack, aka both fans at full pelt!

PS. If you get the chance to re-do your rig and detach the board from the big heatsink, could you clean the area in the middle behind the heat sensor chip? As in remove all and any paste that may be there (that will mean (I hope) the sensor will detect higher temps and thus run the fans faster).
EDIT: - aka in lieu of the blue wire hack!

moss

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 04:29:29 PM

Is there any risk, do you think, running with an 'x', because it seems to run very well at 231.25 apart from that?

In my experience (and use), when / if the pool-side speed is within or above the expected, I tend to ignore the x. I actually have an S3 (though overclocked to 262.5) that from time to time gives the a couple of x's on the first chain and on other occassions one x on the second chain. My solution ...? I added a line to the scheduled tasks to reboot after every 8 hrs (that was after observation of the pattern of the x's appearing!).

Anyway, to try to get rid of the 'x', I redid all of the paste this morning, using the Zalman, as it's the quickest.  Unfortunately, the first time I ran at 225 again, the 'x' showed up in chain 1.  Had to reboot to get rid of it and reset to 218.

My point exactly above (with regard to the x disappearing after reboot). Bummer that you had to re-do the paste, but since the S3 units to some extent are unique, that seems the only way you can get a solution for any individual unit / batch. Still, if all fails for now (and I were in your position), my last throw of the dice would be the blue wire hack, aka both fans at full pelt!

PS. If you get the chance to re-do your rig and detach the board from the big heatsink, could you clean the area in the middle behind the heat sensor chip? As in remove all and any paste that may be there (that will mean (I hope) the sensor will detect higher temps and thus run the fans faster).
EDIT: - aka in lieu of the blue wire hack!

Many thanks.  I'll try your suggestion about the big heatsink next.  My present hashrate is 454 but falling very slowly.  Better than before anyway.  As you suggest, best to keep the blue wire hack as the last resort!
It's amazing how Slush always finds a block when I have a machine offline!

pekatete (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 05:01:43 PM

I'll try your suggestion about the big heatsink next.  My present hashrate is 454 but falling very slowly.  Better than before anyway.  As you suggest, best to keep the blue wire hack as the last resort!

If it is better than before, then you are making some headway. The falling hash-rate, like I always want to think, may just be a more difficult (no proof of this, just my thinking) block we are on so you are better off getting the picture / speed after at least 24hrs.

I am glad that you have taken over that mantle! Slush always seemed to do this to me, though of late, not so much ..... but now I know why, YOU!

moss

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 08:26:57 PM

I'll try your suggestion about the big heatsink next.  My present hashrate is 454 but falling very slowly.  Better than before anyway.  As you suggest, best to keep the blue wire hack as the last resort!

If it is better than before, then you are making some headway. The falling hash-rate, like I always want to think, may just be a more difficult (no proof of this, just my thinking) block we are on so you are better off getting the picture / speed after at least 24hrs.

I am glad that you have taken over that mantle! Slush always seemed to do this to me, though of late, not so much ..... but now I know why, YOU!

LOL. Now if I can just get my machines to turn into block magnets when they're actually turned on!  Grin
virtualFudge

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 10:30:05 PM

Hey so I have a couple questions.

1. How do I know what firmware version I have? Under firmware version in the miner GUI is: Tue Aug 26 10:43:10 CST 2014

2. I have been running at 250M for 24 hours now and my temps are 40 and 43 and I have no "x"s. I'd like to overclock it to 262.5 like you've shown. How do I do this as you told me the other day in a different thread that the only way to overclock on the S3+ firmware is to use the advanced tab under miner configuration, but as I'm sure you know, it only supports a max of 250. Do I have to change firmware?

Thank you

pekatete (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 10:37:30 PM

Hey so I have a couple questions.

1. How do I know what firmware version I have? Under firmware version in the miner GUI is: Tue Aug 26 10:43:10 CST 2014

2. I have been running at 250M for 24 hours now and my temps are 40 and 43 and I have no "x"s. I'd like to overclock it to 262.5 like you've shown. How do I do this as you told me the other day in a different thread that the only way to overclock on the S3+ firmware is to use the advanced tab under miner configuration, but as I'm sure you know, it only supports a max of 250. Do I have to change firmware?

Thank you
1. Looks like you have the latest firmware (going by the date). When you check the bitmain site for firmware, the latest S3+ firmware is antMiner_S320140826.bin, and as you can decipher from the filename, thats your date! Also, the latest firmware has the dropdown frequency selection, whereas the former one does not.

2. To add the 262.5 frequency to the dropdown, you need to edit (via SSH) a different file ..... can't recall off my head which it is, but search through the S3 support thread, it is mentioned there. And no, you do not have to update your firmware.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: