Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:48:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Ann] CoinDL - Buy with Bitcoin: Now only 1% fee on Coupon & Gift Codes  (Read 21532 times)
weex (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 07:30:53 PM

Thank you Portnoy for your suggestion on external payment processing and perspective on price.

We can't make any promises about specific future developments but it's true there are many ways to increase sales and serve artists/authors and buyers.

Price on the other hand will probably work itself out via the usual market mechanics.

-weex

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 07:45:58 PM

Is there (or could / will there be) a way to message the seller?

For instance, the following looks to be in the wrong category.  I think it is a graphic, but it is under the Apps category:
 - https://www.coindl.com/page/item/97

The probable reason it was miscategorized is because Apps is the default category when adding a New Item.  These important required fields probably shouldn't have a default, and instead should require the user to select the value.

Incidentally, I noticed I had another sale of my first upload!  CoinDL must be getting decent traffic.  Why there weren't dozens or hundreds of mp3 uploads from all those musicians I keep hearing about complain about money is something baffling to me.  CoinDL got a lot of good press earlier this week, so there were many many musicians who learned of CoinDL.  It costs nothing to list except a little bit of time.   (though, I suppose that time comes from their 24x7 updates of Facebook, so ya, I guess they have priorities.)

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 07:53:39 PM

I'll second this suggestion.  Never know when a buyer might have questions before purchasing, or requests of other similar items they'd like to see.
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 08:49:59 PM

For instance, the following looks to be in the wrong category.  I think it is a graphic, but it is under the Apps category:
 - https://www.coindl.com/page/item/97

The probable reason it was miscategorized is because Apps is the default category when adding a New Item.  These important required fields probably shouldn't have a default, and instead should require the user to select the value.

Incidentally, I noticed I had another sale of my first upload!  CoinDL must be getting decent traffic.  Why there weren't dozens or hundreds of mp3 uploads from all those musicians I keep hearing about complain about money is something baffling to me.  CoinDL got a lot of good press earlier this week, so there were many many musicians who learned of CoinDL.  It costs nothing to list except a little bit of time.   (though, I suppose that time comes from their 24x7 updates of Facebook, so ya, I guess they have priorities.)

You caught me as I was updating the site to add more fields for eBooks so I made the default Category and Author 'Please select' while I was at it.

Those listing eBooks will now find fields for ISBN (or ISSN for eMagazines and periodicals), year published, and whether illustrations/photos are included in it.

I realize there are other reasons to message a seller so will put that on the list of features to implement.

Yesterday there was no news but we still had 160 visits so I'm pleased with that start. Working on getting publicity with the upcoming listing of a unique item as well.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 12:13:58 AM
Last edit: April 15, 2012, 05:01:58 AM by Stephen Gornick

1,775 views this thread has received now, and there are less than a dozen new songs that have been added since launch.

Whiskey,

... Tango,

.....     Foxtrot!

Seriously?

How many of us play music or know someone who does?    Come on ... I can only listen to Funky Coins just so many times before I need something new in the playlist:
 - https://www.coindl.com/page/item/91

How about taking pledges for certain artists or music genres even.  For instance, let's say I'm looking for dubstep.  I might pledge .2 BTC towards the first dubstep song to be listed on the site.  Or for specific artists -- if some pledges were made that proven revenue might help be what persuades the artist to sign up and upload.

Ok, so I'll do my part to help get this party started.   I'll pledge to buy at least 2.0 BTC worth of new music that appears over the next week.   If there is only one new song (priced at 0.2 BTC for example) then I guess I buy 10 copies it.  Preferably, I'll have my choice of 10 new songs to choose from, or a new album upload, etc.

Is anyone going out tonight?  Consider going to a place that has open mic or has a local band playing.  Pitch CoinDl to the musicians.  It costs them nothing but a few minutes of their time.  For every sale that occurs the seller gets 80%.   Set it and forget it, the coins from sales will arrive without doing anything else. Offer to set it up for them, if they're claiming to not have enough time or don't know how.

CoinDL got headlines in the music world with a story describing it as being the iTunes for Bitcoin.   It's way too early to get that title, but everything big once started small.

Anyone care to lend a hand here and help towards getting some new content on CoinDL?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 12:28:03 AM

1,775 views this thread has received now, and there are less than a dozen new songs that have been added since launch.

Whiskey,

... Tango,

.....     Foxtrot!

Seriously?

How many of you play music or know someone who does?    Come on ... I can only listen to Funky Coins just so many times before I need something new in the playlist:
 - https://www.coindl.com/page/item/91

How about taking pledges for certain artists or music genres even.  For instance, let's say I'm looking for dubstep.  I might pledge .2 BTC towards the first dubstep song to be listed on the site.  Or for specific artists -- if some pledges were made that proven revenue might help be what persuades the artist to sign up and upload.

Ok, so I'll do my part to help get this party started.   I'll pledge to buy at least 2.0 BTC worth of new music that appears over the next week.   If there is only one new song (priced at 0.2 BTC for example) then I guess I buy 10 copies it.  Preferably, I'll have my choice of 10 new songs to choose from, or a new album upload, etc.

Is anyone going out tonight?  Consider going to a place that has open mic or has a local band playing.  Pitch CoinDl to the musicians.  It costs nothing but a few minutes of time.  For every sale that occurs the seller gets 80%.   Set it and forget it, the coins from sales will arrive without doing anything else. Offer to set it up for them, if they're claiming to not have enough time or don't know how.

CoinDL got headlines in the music world with a story describing it as being the iTunes for Bitcoin.   It's way too early to get that title, but everything big once started small.

Anyone care to lend a hand here and help towards getting some new content on CoinDL?

tbh it's the unwordly sales registration form that got me... i was ready to start selling some tracks but couldn't be F with all that info right now.

i'm willing to bet other musicians have closed their browsers at that point too.
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 01:15:32 AM

Quote from: Stephen Gornick

Is anyone going out tonight?  Consider going to a place that has open mic or has a local band playing.  Pitch CoinDl to the musicians.  It costs nothing but a few minutes of time.  For every sale that occurs the seller gets 80%.   Set it and forget it, the coins from sales will arrive without doing anything else. Offer to set it up for them, if they're claiming to not have enough time or don't know how.

Looks like you've got a couple purchases to make as two quality albums from a band called Tiny Pupils were just posted. https://www.coindl.com/page/author/62
I will personally match the 2.0 BTC (and having listened to the previews and snippets from a couple songs from Tiny Pupils I can say it'll be worth it).
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 04:56:31 AM

Looks like you've got a couple purchases to make

Done!

as two quality albums

I thought those might be single songs for download as the prices are 0.099 (about $0.50 USD) and 0.1999 (about $1.00 USD).  But it is an entire album.  Maybe there needs to be a subcategory?   Music -> Albums, Music -> Single

Anyways, this was my first music purchase and the experience was slick.  The popup for "buy" an item shows the bitcoin address but as soon as I sent the bitcoin the link appeared for "download" (on 0/unconfirmed).  That's great!  

I also wanted to test usability, so I sent a partial payment.  No response, though I wasn't really expecting one.  But then as soon as I sent the remainder, ... the popup switched to showing the download link instantly.

Another test was what if I somehow navigated away without seeing the download.   After going back to the item and clicking the buy button again instead of being asked to pay (yet again), it just showed the download link  -- it remembered me and knew that I had already paid.

Nice work.

So there's still my 1.7002 BTC remaining for new music!

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 11:07:23 PM

After my payment was received I was able to enter my e-mail address to get a receipt sent (an optional step).

From the receipt that was sent to my inbox, I have the link which I can use to download again at a later time.  (The file may be downloaded up to 5 times, it says).

So CoinDL knows all the downloads that were purchased for my e-mail address.  What might be nice down the road would be the ability to register that e-mail address and login to see all my purchases (with link to downloads) all at once.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

David M

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 11:26:13 PM

Nice work.

I had a great experience as a first time user.

Some suggestion (if not already noted)

Add a "copy to clipboard" for the payment address.
Maintain a list of categories on all pages for navigation to encourage "window shopping". (I had to go "back" after my purchase to view other categories: I was in the wallpaper category). 

weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 11:55:12 PM

After my payment was received I was able to enter my e-mail address to get a receipt sent (an optional step).

From the receipt that was sent to my inbox, I have the link which I can use to download again at a later time.  (The file may be downloaded up to 5 times, it says).

So CoinDL knows all the downloads that were purchased for my e-mail address.  What might be nice down the road would be the ability to register that e-mail address and login to see all my purchases (with link to downloads) all at once.

You can register for an account and not apply to become a supplier. Later those accounts will be used for other interactions with the site like reviews, listing your purchases, and anything else that a site might require an account for. With the receipt, what we'll probably do is let you enter in the order numbers of your previous purchases though matching up the email addresses is an easier way to make it easy from coinDL's end.

If you want to buy something for a friend, feel free to use the email receipt feature as a way to send them the download link for the gift.
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 12:04:05 AM

Nice work.

I had a great experience as a first time user.

Thanks, come back soon!

Some suggestion (if not already noted)

Add a "copy to clipboard" for the payment address.
Maintain a list of categories on all pages for navigation to encourage "window shopping". (I had to go "back" after my purchase to view other categories: I was in the wallpaper category). 

Some browsers won't let you do a copy to clipboard but after looking into it, it appears we can make it easier for users to do it.

And you're right, all pages should have those category links. Expect them.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2012, 06:45:25 PM

So there's still my 1.7002 BTC remaining for new music!

With the purchase of Alco, I met my 2.0 BTC committment.

So, the new music (singles and albums) since my post last week:

- https://www.coindl.com/page/item/127 Alco by Alco
 - https://www.coindl.com/page/item/138 Molly Ringwald Is Dead by Love Supine
 - https://www.coindl.com/page/item/113 Arc by Sean Gill
 - https://www.coindl.com/page/item/110 Tiny Pupils (Album)    by Tiny Pupils
 - https://www.coindl.com/page/item/109 Debut LP (Album) by Tiny Pupils
 - https://www.coindl.com/page/item/111 What is Bitcoin by Leo Treasure

That's just awesome to see!

I have quite a few new additions on my playlist now.  I give Alco an enthusiastic two thumbs up!

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 03:50:41 PM

CoinDL has been updated with better uploading and support for Albums and other types of collections. Changes:

* A new uploader shows progress as the upload is being sent and has an increased upload limit of 500MB.

* We now support Albums and other types of collections. The individual songs in an album can each have their own audio preview and price. It's possible to do bonus tracks as well(making them only available with purchase of the album).

* Albums and other collections can have Cover art which is enabled when an item is tagged as a collection.

Behind the scenes, I'm working on automating the album upload process to create the song sub-items and individual song previews once an album has been uploaded. More details are available at the bottom of the create/edit page for any item.

For an example showing cover art and a few previews see Alco's album: Alco https://www.coindl.com/page/item/127 (this is an amazing album and is still exclusively available for purchase at CoinDL as far as I know!)

Thanks everyone for being so supportive and generous with your suggestions and feedback. If you buy something and you like it, tell a friend!

-weex
damnek

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 04:27:19 PM

Weex, I like the idea of your site, but I think it needs a more professional look. The combination of colors and fonts gives me the feeling I just landed on a typo-squatted page.
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2012, 05:21:31 PM

damnek, for the last time, no you may not buy the template for your typo-squatting enterprise. Smiley

Seriously though, are there any specific changes you recommend?
weex (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 03:59:09 PM

Just wanted to let people know CoinDL now supports Bitcoin URIs so a new Buy Now button and QR code format have been added. Thanks to etothipi for highlighting this opportunity.

Also, there appears to be a problem with the Music listing not showing a second page so my apologies to those whose music isn't showing up in that listing. It'll be fixed asap.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 06:44:48 PM

Gumroad works worldwide with all major credit cards, and can be used for digital content as well as for physical content, since it lets users collect shipping information if needed. Gumroad takes a 5 percent fee for every payment processed, along with a 25 cent credit card fee. So if an item costs $1, Gumroad takes 30 cents; if an item costs $10, Gumroad takes 75 cents.

Gumroad Gets $7 Million Series A From Kleiner Perkins For Indie E-Payment Platform
 - http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/07/gumroad-7-million-series-a-kleiner-perkins/

Comparing CoinDL:

If an item costs $1, CoinDL takes 20 cents;  (versus Gumroad taking 30 cents)  Advantage CoinDL.
If an item costs $10, CoinDL takes $2.00; (versus Gumroad taking $0.75).  Advantage Gumroad.

This difference is something that is noticed.   Example:
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77691.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 07:58:40 PM

Gumroad works worldwide with all major credit cards, and can be used for digital content as well as for physical content, since it lets users collect shipping information if needed. Gumroad takes a 5 percent fee for every payment processed, along with a 25 cent credit card fee. So if an item costs $1, Gumroad takes 30 cents; if an item costs $10, Gumroad takes 75 cents.

Gumroad Gets $7 Million Series A From Kleiner Perkins For Indie E-Payment Platform
 - http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/07/gumroad-7-million-series-a-kleiner-perkins/

Comparing CoinDL:

If an item costs $1, CoinDL takes 20 cents;  (versus Gumroad taking 30 cents)  Advantage CoinDL.
If an item costs $10, CoinDL takes $2.00; (versus Gumroad taking $0.75).  Advantage Gumroad.

This difference is something that is noticed.   Example:
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77691.0
CoinDL doesn't have any serious Bitcoin competitors.  If there was one, then prices would likely drop accordingly.  But without one, anyone who wants to sell digital goods for Bitcoins is hard pressed to find another solution that works as well as CoinDL.
jbob06

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 08:16:41 PM

Thanks for everyone that has bought the Alco album so far. We've gotten a lot of awesome feedback from the bitcoin community. If you haven't checked us out yet here is the link to our album on CoinDL.

https://www.coindl.com/page/item/127

Thanks!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: