Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:52:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Building A fully decentralized, automated, and anonymous bitcoin exchange!  (Read 2700 times)
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2012, 12:27:56 AM
Last edit: April 05, 2012, 07:23:50 AM by adamstgBit

Check out the Mint Chip video > http://developer.mintchipchallenge.com/index.php

This is very much like bitcoin, in that it is digital cash that can be transferred from person to person without a third party.

Using this new technology we will finally be able to implement a fully decentralized, automated, and anonymous bitcoin exchange.

I plan to use the .NET api for mint chip along with bitcoind to create the first fully decentralized bitcoin exchange!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 12:49:32 AM

LoL that website and demo instructions etc could just be replaced with bitcoin cause essentially thats what they "introduce"

Is there any mention of bitcoin on that site, to much effort scanning through another website.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2012, 01:34:11 AM
Last edit: April 05, 2012, 02:00:39 AM by adamstgBit

Is there any mention of bitcoin on that site, to much effort scanning through another website.

their is a thread called bitcoin http://mintchipchallenge.com/forum_topics/757

LoL that website and demo instructions etc could just be replaced with bitcoin cause essentially thats what they "introduce"

the main difference with MintChip and bitcoin is that bitcoin stands alone without anything backing it, MintChip appears to be Fiat money in its digital form.

drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 02:22:09 AM

And where does our money end up if mintchip bellies up?

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2012, 02:40:55 AM

MintChip is will be issued by the Royal Canadian Mint  

If they ever stop supporting MintChip, my guess they will allow you to return all funds to your bank account.

if not, you can take it up with the government of Canada.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 02:41:17 AM

On the Royal Canadian Mint belly, perhaps?
finway

Activity: 714

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 02:56:40 AM

It's nothing like bitcoin.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 03:08:35 AM

If they are a secure payment clearinghouse with no transaction fees, deposits, or dues, then I'm in. Otherwise, it is just another Roach Motel.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2012, 03:12:22 AM

the point is it will allow for the decentralization of exchanging BTC to dollars or dollars to BTC

finway

Activity: 714

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 08:06:45 AM

the point is it will allow for the decentralization of exchanging BTC to dollars or dollars to BTC

I got you,  nice idea.

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 09:11:06 AM

I see no mention on the website about this.
Actually, after watching the video and reading the website i still have no idea what is Mintchip all about.

What I see is a lot of marketing mumbo-jumbo, evolution blah blah.

bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 11:39:23 AM

I see no mention on the website about this.
Actually, after watching the video and reading the website i still have no idea what is Mintchip all about.

What I see is a lot of marketing mumbo-jumbo, evolution blah blah.

Yeah. I feel exactly the same.

WTF is this MintChap crap all about Huh

I doubt this is better than Bitcoin ...

Too much focus on Canada = I don't like these "chips".
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary
expert

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2012, 12:12:10 PM

Even if this MintChip thing is any good (TBD), it does nothing to solve the fundamental challenges of making a decentralized exchange - atomic trades (solvable in some contexts), and enforcing orders (to which I don't know of any solution, other than trust networks).

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
rastapool

Activity: 423
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 01:06:37 PM

Even if MintChip doesn't solve challenges of making p2p exchange, they give opportunity to create centralized but survivable exchange in the dark web. Exchange without any trouble with banking license, regulation and gov. Anyone will be able to create their own.

The parasite hates three things: free markets, free will, and free men.
Napster is down - this is the END of illegal file sharing!
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 01:07:44 PM

Even if this MintChip thing is any good (TBD), it does nothing to solve the fundamental challenges of making a decentralized exchange - atomic trades (solvable in some contexts), and enforcing orders (to which I don't know of any solution, other than trust networks).
I don't understand the problem. If you have an authority, then you have the rule of law. Any contract with consideration is enforceable.
[edit] OK, I think you are talking about the Paypal/Bitcoin problem for lack of a better term. I don't know enough about Mint Chip to address that.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2012, 06:28:06 PM

I have to admit i only give this a few hours of thought, please continue trying to poke holes in the idea

atomic trades, will need to give this more thought...

enforcing orders, much like no one can simply change the bitcoin app. code, and start doing fraudulent transactions, the p2p exchange will work in similar way.

Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary
expert

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2012, 11:07:10 PM

enforcing orders, much like no one can simply change the bitcoin app. code, and start doing fraudulent transactions, the p2p exchange will work in similar way.
By enforcing orders I mean - let's say I put up a bid to buy 1000 bitcoins for $4 each. Someone takes me up on my offer. What makes sure I will go forward with it? Maybe I have no interest at all in buying bitcoins and am just trying to manipulate the market?

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2012, 11:59:03 PM

By enforcing orders I mean - let's say I put up a bid to buy 1000 bitcoins for $4 each. Someone takes me up on my offer. What makes sure I will go forward with it? Maybe I have no interest at all in buying bitcoins and am just trying to manipulate the market?

well to put an order, you will need to have the funds.

at anytime you can cancel the order, but if you put up your order, its very much at risk of being filled.

If someone goes and fills your order, the transaction will automatically be processed by the application. ( Client A sends MintChips to Client B, Client B sends Bitcoins to Client A )

like you said somehow this transaction must be a single atomic trade (or a 2 step processes that cant be cheated) this will be the hard part.

BitcoinAndie

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 12:04:40 AM

Maybe they are forward thinking and they are developing a digital currency back by gold to be used for international clearing of debit and credit transactions.
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2012, 03:24:25 AM

is this idea sound?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: