Bitcoin Forum
June 13, 2024, 11:22:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Why are you interested in Bitcoin?
I like the concept - 41 (18%)
To get rich - 20 (8.8%)
Both - 161 (70.6%)
Other - 6 (2.6%)
Total Voters: 228

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you interested in Bitcoin because of the concept or to get rich?  (Read 9598 times)
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 01:33:00 PM
Last edit: September 04, 2014, 01:48:07 PM by QuestionAuthority

If you're 15-25 years old and just coming to Bitcoin because you want to be rich you're outa luck. It ain't gonna happen for you unless you run out and buy 10,000 of them and wait out the years of growth. If you hate the strangle hold that governments have over the finances of their subjects and want to watch that grip slowly erode away as the decades pass. Welcome, you've come to the right place.

Being able to buy 10 000 already means being rich. At least in the first sense of not having to work.

Yeah, that's the point. If you came here rich then you will still be rich when you live on Bitcoin instead of govt. currency. As Elwar said, if you're broke and came here to sit in front of an Apple computer and wait till your rich you're going to be disappointed. Unfortunately, Elwar revealed in his post that too many people came here to be rich. Sure some came for both reasons but rich shouldn't even be one of them. He refers you to the white paper so you can read what Bitcoin is about. Nowhere in the designers original proposal does he say this system was created to make poor people rich. If your a Tony Gallippi and create something out of thin air that uses Bitcoin and get rich, good for you. You deserve to be rich because you are an entrepreneur and would also be rich in the fiat world. Hard work, intelligence, creativity, good luck and perseverance created that fortune, not Bitcoin. If you have an activity over 14 and haven't read the white paper at least once do it now.

Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System
Satoshi Nakamoto satoshin@gmx.com www.bitcoin.org
Abstract. A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution. Digital signatures provide part of the solution, but the main benefits are lost if a trusted third party is still required to prevent double-spending. We propose a solution to the double-spending problem using a peer-to-peer network. The network timestamps transactions by hashing them into an ongoing chain of hash-based proof-of-work, forming a record that cannot be changed without redoing the proof-of-work. The longest chain not only serves as proof of the sequence of events witnessed, but proof that it came from the largest pool of CPU power. As long as a majority of CPU power is controlled by nodes that are not cooperating to attack the network, they'll generate the longest chain and outpace attackers. The network itself requires minimal structure. Messages are broadcast on a best effort basis, and nodes can leave and rejoin the network at will, accepting the longest proof-of-work chain as proof of what happened while they were gone.

1. Introduction
Commerce on the Internet has come to rely almost exclusively on financial institutions serving as trusted third parties to process electronic payments. While the system works well enough for most transactions, it still suffers from the inherent weaknesses of the trust based model. Completely non-reversible transactions are not really possible, since financial institutions cannot avoid mediating disputes. The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions, and there is a broader cost in the loss of ability to make non-reversible payments for non- reversible services. With the possibility of reversal, the need for trust spreads. Merchants must be wary of their customers, hassling them for more information than they would otherwise need. A certain percentage of fraud is accepted as unavoidable. These costs and payment uncertainties can be avoided in person by using physical currency, but no mechanism exists to make payments over a communications channel without a trusted party

Edit: Elwar you left out a question for what I think is another big reason to be here.

Did you come here to build up trust in the community and implement a plan to steal money from gullible suckers?

djangocoin

Activity: 474
Merit: 285

Brave New World

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 02:25:30 PM
Last edit: October 20, 2017, 08:41:45 AM by djangocoin

I just this the tech is fascinating.

:]
OperationMortar

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:03:58 PM

Fucking both  Grin
Seems that you like concepts which can make you a rich one lol
Wealthy

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:23:42 PM

I would say both.But as of now until invest some big money it's hard to make money.Bitcoin is a revolutionary technology that could be used to challenge the financial hypocrites and their monarch around our world.
2double0
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1105

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:26:10 PM

Both but as of now im starting to research the concept a bit more! seems interesting
ariyaromadhona

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 05:27:31 PM

i Like the concept of Bitcoin and yes , i want to get more income from it Cheesy
MoonTime

Activity: 96

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 07:33:56 PM

I like the concept that's why I am with BTC...but I wonder who's here to get rich.
promojo

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 08:46:54 PM

I like the concept that's why I am with BTC...but I wonder who's here to get rich.

It might be too late to consider getting rich unless you are buying straight up BTC.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 11:31:17 PM

Tomorrow, my gov can legaly take money from my bank account (since december 2013).
Bitcoin is a choice ... or a "isolate" think to avoid this type of law.

Yes, it's a law.
When someone (that it isn't identified) can steal money from a securised vault ... you MUST find an other way.

I have search about gold ... but it's to heavy and HELL no garanties to exchange when problems reases.
With bitcoin, i can keep my like economies in a USB key.

That is the futur rich way ...
But, i see an other explaination for rich people = AVOID INFLATION.
jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1073

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 02:05:37 AM

Not exactly.

To rise money, yes. But I know it is unlikely another moon mission, so I will need to invest somewhere else to reach the rich part.

Bitcoin opens a whole new world of opportunities to make money, and it awesome.

hosting-guru

Activity: 8

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 04:17:12 AM

This is indeed very interesting poll! I am sure many people who joined the community late 2013 or early this year at first were interested in Bitcoin because of the sudden value appreciation. However I want to believe most of them have now also learned to appreciate the concept and opportunities the digital currency can offer for the world!
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 04:24:22 AM

you forgot one: Introduce my next alt-coin to siphon more of your btc

MaryKris

Activity: 109

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 05:33:11 AM

Maybe not get rich but get money outta it. I think everyone here is.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤////////////////////
❖ Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
////////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Envrin

Activity: 318
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 08:00:41 AM

It just kind of "happened" for me.  One of my long-term clients got interested in bitcoin, and asked if I'd now be willing to accept bitcoin as payment instead.  I checked it out, seen it was easy enough to switch over to fiat so I said, "sure, sounds good".

Now 100% of all incoming funds are bitcoin, and I couldn't possibly imagine going back to the days of PayPal, wire transfers, merchant accounts with bank rules, regulations, limitations, etc.  Just thinking about all that pisses me off. Smiley

altcoinlady

Activity: 93

Imagine Me and You

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 12:29:53 PM

Not to get rich... Maybe to get some extra money from this hobby.

btcpokerface

Activity: 70

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 12:34:47 PM

Getting rich is almost impossible for the late adopters like me, I'm interested in bitcoin because of the concept.

♬-♬-♬-♬ ★ ☆ ★ ☆ Earn up to 0.05 btc/week by posting in the LTB forum!!! ☆ ★ ☆ ★ ♬-♬-♬-♬ --------->
<--------- LTB coin now traded on Poloniex!!!
panju1
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 03:17:35 PM

The concept is what helped me find out about bitcoin. Now I wouldn't mind profiting from it as well.  Smiley
Bitbirdhunt

Activity: 77

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 05:50:40 PM

Both. I am interested in the concept and I also think that because of the concept, bitcoin will be worth a lot of money in 10 years.
rabbiter

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 06:59:28 PM

It would be misleading to say both cause it assumes yeah I think it's a great concepts and believe in what it's trying to achieve and also I am investing cause I think it will make money.

While this is true the two are connected. Just for example sake I could invest in some exotic financial product that traded on the Federal reserves ability to print money or maybe the likelyhood of war say I wouldn't want to invest in it even though I know it might give a good return.

I think there are some here that think of you want to make money then you would sell your granny for money like it's an immoral proposition. That's why you have all these alt coins that I refuse to invest in on principle even though I know they are good for a quick profit. I only invest in about 5 alts on top of Bitcoin, only ones which prove they exist to help the system and not to enrich themselves only. I look at developers like Qora and BC Next as people who genuinely are interested in the principles behind crypto currencies and are passionate about the technology. But be clear I'm only interested in 2nd gen coins cause I want a system that doesn't rely on exchanges, and can hold other forms of wealth like Gold and 'some fiat' convertability if needed later. Otherwise I'm 100% behind Bitcoin cause we have to stick as a community with one coin otherwise the mainstream will laugh at us and never take crypto seriously.

Honestly I think most on this forum have developed a 'can't beat them join them' attitude where they have thrown in their ideological towels and are following the scumbags that are trying to make a buck and want nothing more than a fist full of green fiat. Well I hope they do and I hope that fiat dissolves in their hands someday soon. It sickens me I have to argue with these people on here daily with their lies and pumped up bullshit spewing from their dishonest mouths. I hate the hype where they tell themselves on threads how once this all goes mainstream their shitcoin is going to make them rich. Collective fantasy and greed hoping somehow by expressing it enough it becomes real. Fuck em.

validium

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Decentralized thinking

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 07:25:35 PM

I'd have to say both the concept is comes first for me. I have never been able to move money this easy in my entire life  Wink

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: