Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:07:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL singles Running on Win XP 32bit (Bounty 1BTC)  (Read 3828 times)
allten (OP)

Activity: 455
Merit: 250

You Don't Bitcoin 'till You Mint Coin

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2012, 05:32:51 AM

So, I got one BFL single and its been two days now that its just sitting on my desk doing nothing.
Pretty sad Cry
So, who can write a guide for a layman like myself to get this running on my win XP 32 bit machine?
Bounty 1BTC - Will increase bounty daily until its solved.

I think I've done everything correctly, but it still complains about not having opencl installed.
I thought if I use a tag to disable it that it would go away. My machine has no need for opencl - there's not gaming cards.

I know there's a lot of information about this already, but I'm having difficulty sifting through it all to debug my mining issues.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 05:58:27 AM

Use either cgminer or ufasoft, your preference; currently other miners will not work.

cgminer: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28402.0
ufasoft: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3486.0

If you are getting error messages about opencl not being installed, install the current ATI Catalyst drivers (you only need to install the SDK, not the display drivers). I believe that cgminer complains if you don't have opencl whether whether it needs to use it for mining or not. Installing the ATI SDK will give you the opencl files.

For cgminer start with a command line like this:
cgminer -o http://<yourpool.com>:<port> -u <username> -p <password> --disable-gpu -S COM6

You may need to change "COM6" to something else. Check in Control Panel->Device Manager so see what COM port Windows has decided to assign to your Single.

For ufasoft start with a command line like this:
bitcoin-miner -i 2 -o http://<username>:<password>@<yourpool.com>:<port>

You may need to change "-i 2" to something else. When you run ufasoft without any arguments it will enumerate all devices it can find. The BFL Single should be obvious in the list, and it will have a number beside it (like '2'). Use whatever number that is with the "-i nnn" option.
allten (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2012, 10:16:56 PM

@Epoch. Thanks for the reply.

After posting, I decided to wait for my Windows 7 64 bit Machine to be repaired.
I got it up and running last night and now there's a new problem. The device drivers
for the bitforce single will not install. It worked fine on my windows xp 32 bit machine.

I disabled the driver signing and even installed a driver the forces any peripheral to act as a USB port, but nothing worked. Anyone else have a similar issue? How was it solved?

Thanks.
Epoch
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 12:23:04 AM

After posting, I decided to wait for my Windows 7 64 bit Machine to be repaired.
I got it up and running last night and now there's a new problem. The device drivers
for the bitforce single will not install. It worked fine on my windows xp 32 bit machine.

I disabled the driver signing and even installed a driver the forces any peripheral to act as a USB port, but nothing worked. Anyone else have a similar issue? How was it solved?

Thanks.
What device drivers do you mean? You don't need any special drivers for the Singles; Win7 has all the necessary drivers for it built-in.

The Single should automatically be recognized by the Win7/64 machine without the user having to install anything special. Once you plug in the USB cable, Windows will ('should') automatically assign a 'USB Serial Port' for it such as COM6 or COM7 (it should appear in Device Manager under 'Ports (COM & LPT)'. If you take a look at the Properties of that port, it will list the driver provider as 'FTDI' with a driver date of 2011-03-18, version 2.8.14.0. This driver is included as part of the base Win7 installation, which is why no special user action is needed.

If you have these ports appearing in Device Manager but the Single still won't work, try removing the 'USB Serial Port' entries in Device Manager, unplugging the Single, rebooting, and plugging in the Single again. Windows should then attempt to re-install the correct drivers.
allten (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2012, 04:07:42 AM

Thanks.
What device drivers do you mean? You don't need any special drivers for the Singles; Win7 has all the necessary drivers for it built-in.

The Single should automatically be recognized by the Win7/64 machine without the user having to install anything special. Once you plug in the USB cable, Windows will ('should') automatically assign a 'USB Serial Port' for it such as COM6 or COM7 (it should appear in Device Manager under 'Ports (COM & LPT)'. If you take a look at the Properties of that port, it will list the driver provider as 'FTDI' with a driver date of 2011-03-18, version 2.8.14.0. This driver is included as part of the base Win7 installation, which is why no special user action is needed.

If you have these ports appearing in Device Manager but the Single still won't work, try removing the 'USB Serial Port' entries in Device Manager, unplugging the Single, rebooting, and plugging in the Single again. Windows should then attempt to re-install the correct drivers.

I'm unsure what the hangup was. I finally downloaded a list of updates that I've been putting off for a long time and that fixed the problem.
The drivers finally installed automatically without a hitch. Thank goodness because it was getting annoying.
In about 5 minutes I'll try it again. Is the BTC address still good that's part of your signature?
Epoch
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 04:09:58 AM

I'm unsure what the hangup was. I finally downloaded a list of updates that I've been putting off for a long time and that fixed the problem.
The drivers finally installed automatically without a hitch. Thank goodness because it was getting annoying.
In about 5 minutes I'll try it again. Is the BTC address still good that's part of your signature?

The address is good, but don't worry about sending me anything. Glad to help.
allten (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2012, 04:23:27 AM
Last edit: April 18, 2012, 04:38:11 AM by allten

Thanks!

I tried running them with the following

cgminer -o mint.bitminter.com:8332 -u m?Huh_bt?Huh? -p Huh?0

It picks up the two video cards and starts mining, but doesn't do a thing with the BITFORCE single.
Did I miss anything?
Epoch
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 04:28:49 AM
Last edit: April 18, 2012, 05:02:55 AM by Epoch

Thanks!

cgminer -o somewhere -u user -p pass

It picks up the two video cards and starts mining, but doesn't do a thing with the BITFORCE single.
Did I miss anything?

To tell cgminer about the Single, you need to add something like '-S COM6' to your command line (change COM6 to whatever COM port your Single is assigned to).
allten (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2012, 04:48:15 AM

Thanks!

cgminer -o mint.bitminter.com:8332 -u Huh??_?Huh? -p Huh??

Did I miss anything?

To tell cgminer about the Single, you need to add something like '-S COM6' to your command line (change COM6 to whatever COM port your Single is assigned to).

Success! Thank you very much. I revealed more than i wanted to in that last post. If you would so kindly update it to remove my information, I would appreciate.
Thanks.
allten (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2012, 04:52:12 AM

1.5BTC sent. Thanks again. Please let me know if you do not receive it.
Epoch
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 05:06:02 AM

1.5BTC sent. Thanks again. Please let me know if you do not receive it.

Totally unnecessary, but much appreciated. Glad you got your Single mining! BFL really doesn't send much by way of instructions with their units. I also edited my post with your info ... good thing you pointed it out because I totally missed it!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: