Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 08:28:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible that 1 BTC be worth $2,000 by the end of 2015?  (Read 26002 times)
opossum

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 05:13:23 AM

With Bitcoin as it is right now, I very much doubt we'll see $2000 by end of 2015. The spike we experienced last year was the result of hype + panic buying and because it was the first real 'rocket to the moon'. A lot of people made good money but a much greater number of people lost money. I think people are gonna be a lot more cautious now before going 'all in'. There is also a number of smaller factors that are different now. For example, the altcoin scene has exploded since last year and a lot of people are tempted to invest in altcoins because that's where a lot of new tech is emerging. The price of Bitcoin is already quite high and a lot of the smaller guys might think twice before buying BTC just to hold for better times.
On top of that, we've had a few scares since last year. Gox turning out to be a scam and losing people millions but more importantly, mining groups that have nearly compromised the whole network by being in control of close to 51% of the hashrate. This last one can be pretty scary for big investors because there are no laws to stop someone from taking over the network.
I think BTC price can still go up, maybe up to twice its current value but without improvement to the system itself, I don't see major investors pumping millions into Bitcoin anytime soon.

Last year was not the first big rally, we had similar rallies before!

The price per BTC is a function of Demand and Supply which is related to the expected value of all Bitcoins in the future. If in 2015 the market thinks there is 30% chance that the price is 30000$ in 10years we will easily have 3000$ per BTC.
The price of bitcoin is more closely related to the supply and demand that is caused by merchant/consumer adoption. The expected value/price that others think really does not matter

▄▄█████████▄▄
      ▄█████████████████▄
   ▄████▀            ▀████▄
  █████                █████▄
 ███████████████████████████▄
████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████        ██████        ████
 ████▄      ██████      ▄████
  ▀████     ██████    ▄████▀
    ▀████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████▀
      ▀▀██████████████▀▀
TIDEX

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 06:29:55 AM

The price of bitcoin is more closely related to the supply and demand that is caused by merchant/consumer adoption. The expected value/price that others think really does not matter

I think both matter, as they both influence demand.  However, I also think that merchant adoption is a much stronger, and more solid fundamental than the speculative demand.  If ever there is generalized merchant adoption, then that cannot disappear overnight.  If people use bitcoin to buy stuff and to earn money, that cannot plop just like that.  That would be a very strong fundamental.  However, I think that for the moment the only solid merchant adoption of bitcoin is in the black market.
The speculative demand (you want to buy bitcoin - demand - because you think it is a good store of value for the longer term) is dependent of what you think the demand (and hence the price) will be in the future, and hence what you think others will think of the price of bitcoin then.  That's a shakier ground, but for the moment it is the main support for the bitcoin price.
My personal idea is that the current bitcoin price is in fact already too high for its fundamentals right now, and is only supported by speculation upon the increase of those fundamentals in the future.  The day that there will be a serious doubt about that future increase, the price may go down to the price supported by its current fundamentals.  I don't know where that is, but if all bitcoins came into circulation (no more hodling) to buy the stuff that is now bought with it, the price could be way way lower.
Of course, as long as there is a growth in sight of the fundamentals, there's no reason not to speculate on more growth, which is what the current price sustains.  But it remains a fragile basis without more general merchant adoption I think.
Sevvero

Activity: 350
Merit: 255

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 02:15:05 PM

No, it is not possible, OP.
Notanon

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 04:57:16 PM

At the rate venture capital is being poured into the entire Bitcoin ecosystem, I'd be genuinely surprised if $2000 isn't achievable. I've said it elsewhere, but the Mt.Gox and Silk Road episodes will be behind enough to allow a sustained rise.
picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 11:21:46 PM

At the rate venture capital is being poured into the entire Bitcoin ecosystem, I'd be genuinely surprised if $2000 isn't achievable. I've said it elsewhere, but the Mt.Gox and Silk Road episodes will be behind enough to allow a sustained rise.

Will Chinese buy bitcoins like they buy gold is remains to be seen too. I think they will keep pouring more Yuan into bitcoins and Yuan will appreciate against bitcoins so will chinese salaries.
arbitrage001
Legendary

Activity: 1067

View Profile
December 06, 2014, 11:13:06 AM

Bitcoin is now what? $470? Is it possible that bitcoin will reach that kind of worth a year and half from now?

Anything is possible.

Is it likely? No.
picolo

View Profile
December 06, 2014, 08:12:41 PM

Bitcoin is now what? $470? Is it possible that bitcoin will reach that kind of worth a year and half from now?

Anything is possible.

Is it likely? No.

I think it is likely that it will reach 2000$ before the end of 2015. To achieve this goal we need to have more new buyers than sellers. As the price goes up, miners have to sell less to pay for their electricity costs and want to hold to enjoy the rally which push the price even higher.
painlord2k

Activity: 453
Merit: 254

View Profile
December 06, 2014, 10:07:28 PM

We need to wait until the next halving or until the fed decide to start the presses again.
My bet is, int he next six months the Fed. Reserve will start another round of QE or something QE-like.
As they restart the presses, as the M1 and MB start climbing, the price of Bitcoin will start to climb again  like during 2013.

If the Fed start inflate the USD M1 and MB as much as the last time, in relative terms, the inflation differential will become negative to the advantage of bitcoin.
And the fireworks will be spectacular.

sherbyspark

Activity: 910

View Profile
December 06, 2014, 11:57:26 PM

Anything is possible.

Is it likely? No.

I think it is likely that it will reach 2000$ before the end of 2015. To achieve this goal we need to have more new buyers than sellers. As the price goes up, miners have to sell less to pay for their electricity costs and want to hold to enjoy the rally which push the price even higher.

Well you can't say that miners won't sell. if the price goes up to 600$, they would insta sell. A lot of miners, aren't in it for holding, they are in it, just to make that profit they can .
picolo

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 05:31:15 AM

Anything is possible.

Is it likely? No.

Well you can't say that miners won't sell. if the price goes up to 600$, they would insta sell. A lot of miners, aren't in it for holding, they are in it, just to make that profit they can .

Most miners are bullish on the BTC price but they will sell a lot of BTC to buy new equipment and the manufacturers will sell a lot of BTC to build their miners.
etoque
Legendary

Activity: 1974

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 09:53:17 AM

Anything is possible.

Is it likely? No.

Most miners are bullish on the BTC price but they will sell a lot of BTC to buy new equipment and the manufacturers will sell a lot of BTC to build their miners.

Selling BTC to build miners? you can buy all you want with BTC now to build something and pay your employed with too. just drop for tax or shit like that
pattu1

Activity: 675

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 12:57:16 AM

Let us just hope that they sell no more than necessary. A lot of miners hold a significant portion of their mined bitcoins.
OrientA

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 02:35:05 PM

Let us just hope that they sell no more than necessary. A lot of miners hold a significant portion of their mined bitcoins.

If the miners do not hold some coins, then the price will be even lower.
painlord2k

Activity: 453
Merit: 254

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 03:45:10 PM

EVER is a long time.

If the miners sell all their coins, probably to cover their expenses and recover their investment, the exchange rate will be exactly at the level where the coins sold equal the fiat converted in bitcoin.

3600 BTCs/day at 360$/BTC is 1,296,000 $ converted every day in BTC.

If the quantity of $ in the economy increase faster than the quantity of BTC, the exchange rate will increase. But the $ inflated and is inflating less than the BTC, so the exchange rate fell for all of the last year.
What keep up the price is the usefulness of BTC in specific applications. And this usefulness drive adoption. In the last year the usefulness of BTC increased a lot. At this level, apparently, the usefulness of BTC compared to fiat money and other payment systems is able to drive enough adoption to drive the price up enough to compensate for the greater inflation.

By july 2016 BTC's inflation will halve around 4,5%. before of this, probably in the 1st half of 2015 the Federal Reserve will start some type of QE again. If they don't, the interest rates will soar and the interest rate paid by the government on new bonds will explode destroying the budget. The government will be forced to pay more than half than their revenues in interests or default. Compare the 2% paid today with the 20% paid by Paul Volcker's Fed. So, they will be forced to print, before or later. Before in more probable than later. If the government don't pay it's bonds, a lot of banks will default (because a lot of their money is in government bond), a lot of people and business will default (because near all of their money is in their bank accounts) and a lot of business will default because people will have no money to spend.

azguard
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Crypto-News.net: News from Crypto World

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 12:37:52 PM

Price is so low now that i dont think that will be any time soon some change in price that is for sure.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄██████████████████▄
       ▄████████████████████████▄
 ▄▄  ▄████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████████▄
 ▀▀█████████████████████████████████▄
   ██████████████████████████████████
   ▀████████████████████████████████▀
    ▀██████████████████████████████▀
     ▀▀██████████████████████████▀
        ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀

Sakarias-Corporation

Activity: 574

Call me Alice. just Alice.

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2015, 12:43:11 PM

why do people ALWAYS! return to these kinds of thread as soon as there's a price fall! Hell its 352 DAYS left of the year and we will have a halving in blocks by new year. there's still time to reach 2000 Dollar. hell there's even time to reach 5000. i believe we will reach atleast1300

picolo

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 12:53:52 PM

why do people ALWAYS! return to these kinds of thread as soon as there's a price fall! Hell its 352 DAYS left of the year and we will have a halving in blocks by new year. there's still time to reach 2000 Dollar. hell there's even time to reach 5000. i believe we will reach atleast1300

Me too!
azguard
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Crypto-News.net: News from Crypto World

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 06:38:24 AM

For start lets just go to half of 1300 around 700$ will be fine for this year.
Rest is great profit on all charts. Cuz im investing in some alt as well hope to see them follow btc as usual.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄██████████████████▄
       ▄████████████████████████▄
 ▄▄  ▄████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████████▄
 ▀▀█████████████████████████████████▄
   ▀████████████████████████████████▀
    ▀██████████████████████████████▀
     ▀▀██████████████████████████▀
        ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 10:41:20 AM

For start lets just go to half of 1300 around 700$ will be fine for this year.
Rest is great profit on all charts. Cuz im investing in some alt as well hope to see them follow btc as usual.

By the looks of things in January we are now in the main part of the crash cycle
History of Bitcoin crashes so while its still possible the odds are higher around the halving of 2016 presently.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Bitcoin_BOy$

Activity: 854
Merit: 503

|| Web developer ||

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 03:16:52 PM

If banks stop attacking bitcoin and we see high number of  newbuyers bitcoin price can jump to more than 2000$
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: