Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:45:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Lending/Securities subforum  (Read 1400 times)
copumpkin (OP)
Donator

Activity: 266
Merit: 252

I'm actually a pineapple

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 02:09:08 PM

I've noticed that we have a new subforum under lending called securities. I do like the idea of having it there, but it seems to have the wrong things in it.

In a securities subforum of lending, I'd expect to find primarily debt-based securities (bonds, CDOs, CDSes) and requests to borrow or offers to lend other types of securities.

It seems to be the dumping ground of most topics with [GLBSE] in their subject, which doesn't feel right, considering that many of them (shares/perpetuities) are not inherently debt-based.

Was the forum intended to be one level up from lending?
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
teek

Activity: 667
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 02:18:07 PM

i think securities, should be directly under marketplace.  I mean, you buy / sell / trade securities..  Marketplace makes the most sense.
brendio

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 02:57:43 PM

i think securities, should be directly under marketplace.  I mean, you buy / sell / trade securities..  Marketplace makes the most sense.
+1

I am more interested in it than the lending section, so it's annoying to need the extra clicks.

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 03:00:49 PM

+1

I am more interested in it than the lending section, so it's annoying to need the extra clicks.
Also +1, because I happen to block the Lending section, which then filters out the "securities" section that I still want access to.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 03:21:22 PM

I've noticed that we have a new subforum under lending called securities. I do like the idea of having it there, but it seems to have the wrong things in it.

In a securities subforum of lending, I'd expect to find primarily debt-based securities (bonds, CDOs, CDSes) and requests to borrow or offers to lend other types of securities.

It seems to be the dumping ground of most topics with [GLBSE] in their subject, which doesn't feel right, considering that many of them (shares/perpetuities) are not inherently debt-based.

The threads that are there are intended for that forum, the original request was for a GBLSE subforum which is too narrow in focus, wanted something more encompassing. If the name isn't adequate then what would you suggest?

Based on the definition I found it seems to fit. I am no finance expert though.
A security is generally a fungible, negotiable financial instrument representing financial value.[1] Securities are broadly categorized into:

debt securities (such as banknotes, bonds and debentures),
    equity securities, e.g., common stocks; and,
    derivative contracts, such as forwards, futures, options and swaps.

Here is the other thread that prompted it.
 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=76611.0

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
copumpkin (OP)
Donator

Activity: 266
Merit: 252

I'm actually a pineapple

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 03:44:43 PM

The threads that are there are intended for that forum, the original request was for a GBLSE subforum which is too narrow in focus, wanted something more encompassing. If the name isn't adequate then what would you suggest?

Based on the definition I found it seems to fit. I am no finance expert though.
A security is generally a fungible, negotiable financial instrument representing financial value.[1] Securities are broadly categorized into:

debt securities (such as banknotes, bonds and debentures),
    equity securities, e.g., common stocks; and,
    derivative contracts, such as forwards, futures, options and swaps.

Here is the other thread that prompted it.
 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=76611.0

Yeah, except the subforum seems to have ended up buried under the lending forum, rather than under marketplace, and I don't think it belongs there, unless you restrict it to only those securities that are debt-related, as I said.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 04:18:08 PM

Oh I see what you're saying. Lending securities versus just securities, didn't think about it that way.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 04:46:27 PM

Also with my GLBSE "RSM" item listed in that sub-forum has nothing to do with lending really as investors are buying outright a share in the company and all hardware that comes with it.  Also people won't find that forum unless they go looking for lending and my company is a security yes but it's not a bond or anything to do with lending.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12885

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 05:21:54 PM

Alright, I moved it up.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 05:33:51 PM

Alright, I moved it up.
Great, I like it!

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 01:33:29 AM

Alright, I moved it up.

Thanks for the move; this saved me a couple more clicks now  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print