Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:35:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Lending/Securities subforum  (Read 1400 times)
copumpkin (OP)
Donator

Activity: 266
Merit: 252

I'm actually a pineapple

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 02:09:08 PM

I've noticed that we have a new subforum under lending called securities. I do like the idea of having it there, but it seems to have the wrong things in it.

In a securities subforum of lending, I'd expect to find primarily debt-based securities (bonds, CDOs, CDSes) and requests to borrow or offers to lend other types of securities.

It seems to be the dumping ground of most topics with [GLBSE] in their subject, which doesn't feel right, considering that many of them (shares/perpetuities) are not inherently debt-based.

Was the forum intended to be one level up from lending?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
teek

Activity: 667
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 02:18:07 PM

i think securities, should be directly under marketplace.  I mean, you buy / sell / trade securities..  Marketplace makes the most sense.
brendio

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 02:57:43 PM

i think securities, should be directly under marketplace.  I mean, you buy / sell / trade securities..  Marketplace makes the most sense.
+1

I am more interested in it than the lending section, so it's annoying to need the extra clicks.

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 03:00:49 PM

+1

I am more interested in it than the lending section, so it's annoying to need the extra clicks.
Also +1, because I happen to block the Lending section, which then filters out the "securities" section that I still want access to.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 03:21:22 PM

I've noticed that we have a new subforum under lending called securities. I do like the idea of having it there, but it seems to have the wrong things in it.

In a securities subforum of lending, I'd expect to find primarily debt-based securities (bonds, CDOs, CDSes) and requests to borrow or offers to lend other types of securities.

It seems to be the dumping ground of most topics with [GLBSE] in their subject, which doesn't feel right, considering that many of them (shares/perpetuities) are not inherently debt-based.

The threads that are there are intended for that forum, the original request was for a GBLSE subforum which is too narrow in focus, wanted something more encompassing. If the name isn't adequate then what would you suggest?

Based on the definition I found it seems to fit. I am no finance expert though.
A security is generally a fungible, negotiable financial instrument representing financial value.[1] Securities are broadly categorized into:

debt securities (such as banknotes, bonds and debentures),
    equity securities, e.g., common stocks; and,
    derivative contracts, such as forwards, futures, options and swaps.

Here is the other thread that prompted it.
 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=76611.0

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
copumpkin (OP)
Donator

Activity: 266
Merit: 252

I'm actually a pineapple

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 03:44:43 PM

The threads that are there are intended for that forum, the original request was for a GBLSE subforum which is too narrow in focus, wanted something more encompassing. If the name isn't adequate then what would you suggest?

Based on the definition I found it seems to fit. I am no finance expert though.
A security is generally a fungible, negotiable financial instrument representing financial value.[1] Securities are broadly categorized into:

debt securities (such as banknotes, bonds and debentures),
    equity securities, e.g., common stocks; and,
    derivative contracts, such as forwards, futures, options and swaps.

Here is the other thread that prompted it.
 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=76611.0

Yeah, except the subforum seems to have ended up buried under the lending forum, rather than under marketplace, and I don't think it belongs there, unless you restrict it to only those securities that are debt-related, as I said.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 04:18:08 PM

Oh I see what you're saying. Lending securities versus just securities, didn't think about it that way.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 04:46:27 PM

Also with my GLBSE "RSM" item listed in that sub-forum has nothing to do with lending really as investors are buying outright a share in the company and all hardware that comes with it.  Also people won't find that forum unless they go looking for lending and my company is a security yes but it's not a bond or anything to do with lending.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 05:21:54 PM

Alright, I moved it up.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 05:33:51 PM

Alright, I moved it up.
Great, I like it!

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 01:33:29 AM

Alright, I moved it up.

Thanks for the move; this saved me a couple more clicks now  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print