Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:12:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Weekly pool and network statistics  (Read 91249 times)
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 04:58:06 AM

Sorry folks - there was an error in my stats for BTCGuild. The updated results are now correct.

thanks again ooc
will be watching closely over the next few weeks Wink

Always glad to see that someone is watching! It will be interesting to see if there is any significant drop in hashrate after the new Ozcoin fee. My guess is that it won't be a significant drop in hashrate, if any at all.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 07:02:40 AM

Sorry folks - there was an error in my stats for BTCGuild. The updated results are now correct.

thanks again ooc

Always glad to see that someone is watching! It will be interesting to see if there is any significant drop in hashrate after the new Ozcoin fee. My guess is that it won't be a significant drop in hashrate, if any at all.

I actually look forward to the weekly update - saves me a little time clicking around the pools to see what they say + well presented comparisons  Grin

um yer the "f" word - it will be interesting to see how the "proxy/pool" miners will react I think that will have biggest influence on hashrate Smiley

I'll drop a little something in your wallet when you aren't looking again
cheers man Smiley

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 09:09:29 AM

thanks again ooc

I actually look forward to the weekly update - saves me a little time clicking around the pools to see what they say + well presented comparisons  Grin

um yer the "f" word - it will be interesting to see how the "proxy/pool" miners will react I think that will have biggest influence on hashrate Smiley

Well, the proxy pools can try the smaller fee-free pools, but how will most react to a massive influx of hashrate? That will require more maintenance, and show up problems of which they might not yet be aware.

Besides, as another miner mentioned elsewhere, if proxies aren't contributing then your donating miners are subsidising them. In a way it's something like pool hopping, in that some miners are getting better value for shares than others. Call it "fee hopping". A fee levels the playing field, and it's something pool ops of fee-free pools  should consider carefully.

I'll drop a little something in your wallet when you aren't looking again
cheers man Smiley

Thanks Graet. I'm up against my maximum at my free imgur account, so every bit helps Smiley

Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 09:55:24 AM

point one is why I'm interested too see what happens
point two - yep

I said when you weren't watching Tongue
lol

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 10:16:35 AM

I said when you weren't watching Tongue
lol

Argh! You're psychic.

DrHaribo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1034

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 12:23:46 PM

I'm sure many will be watching this closely, especially pool operators. Graet and the rest at Ozcoin, I must commend you on a brave move. Maybe the bitcoin community is ready to get past the "everything must be free" mentality, which I found quite puzzling as I got started with bitcoins, after all it is a community about (improving) money. With most other pools (except the biggest ones) being zero fee there was no other option for my pool.

These stats are a great service. Is there a donation address?

Well, the proxy pools can try the smaller fee-free pools, but how will most react to a massive influx of hashrate? That will require more maintenance, and show up problems of which they might not yet be aware.

BitMinter is the largest true zero fee pool, with transaction fees paid out (plus namecoins). In fact there's only a couple left, plus the pretenders who don't pay out the (currently 0.3% and going up) transaction fees. Maybe things are changing.

The weekly stats show an average hashrate of 569 GH/s, but the last day we have been doing over 700 GH/s. We are growing quite quickly. The pool has been to 912 GH/s with fairly light load. I expect the current single server setup can take us to between 5 and 6 TH/s before it will be at capacity. More when I have dynamic difficulty ready for the server software. Perhaps then we can accommodate all of today's bitcoin miners on a single server? But yeah, it took quite some work removing bottlenecks and tweaking Linux kernel parameters and database parameters before it got this fast. Pools that have not been through this have some work ahead of them.

I'm sure we already got some "zero fee refugees" and there are more to come. But at the same time it will be interesting to see how many are willing to pay for a service they like. It would give me more confidence that it is worthwhile putting an effort into new non-free add-on services for my pool. Either way, very interesting weeks ahead.

▶▶▶ bitminter.com 2011-2020 ▶▶▶ pool.xbtodigital.io 2023-
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 01:20:46 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2012, 12:24:52 AM by organofcorti

These stats are a great service. Is there a donation address?

Well, thank you sir! Use the NPW donations address in my sig. For those of you who have sigs turned off, that would be: 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r

I was thinking of making it a fee, but .... Grin

BitMinter is the largest true zero fee pool, with transaction fees paid out (plus namecoins). In fact there's only a couple left, plus the pretenders who don't pay out the (currently 0.3% and going up) transaction fees. Maybe things are changing.

The weekly stats show an average hashrate of 569 GH/s, but the last day we have been doing over 700 GH/s. We are growing quite quickly.

I can confirm this. The average for the last 20 blocks is about 650Gphs. Nice going there, DrH Smiley

The pool has been to 912 GH/s with fairly light load. I expect the current single server setup can take us to between 5 and 6 TH/s before it will be at capacity. More when I have dynamic difficulty ready for the server software. Perhaps then we can accommodate all of today's bitcoin miners on a single server?

This gave me some pause for thought - as ASICS and more FPGAs come online, DDOS will be a thing of the past as pool difficulties rise. No more DDOS! How can ASICs be bad? Wink Wrong, wrong wrong.

I'm sure we already got some "zero fee refugees" and there are more to come. But at the same time it will be interesting to see how many are willing to pay for a service they like. It would give me more confidence that it is worthwhile putting an effort into new non-free add-on services for my pool. Either way, very interesting weeks ahead.

I think a lot of miners just never thought about it before, and Ozcoin is the first big pool to make such a switch. I think miners will be more accepting of fair fees once they realise that they are important for smooth running of a pool.

I do like your "perks", and not just because I can pretend I'm playing Fallout. It's community building, and I hope it's working well for you.

DrHaribo
Legendary

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 02:54:59 PM

I was thinking of making it a fee, but .... Grin

Haha  Cheesy Donation sent Smiley

I can confirm this. The average for the last 20 blocks is about 650Gphs. Nice going there, DrH Smiley

Thank you Smiley

This gave me some pause for thought - as ASICS and more FPGAs come online, DDOS will be a thing of the past as pool difficulties rise. No more DDOS! How can ASICs be bad? Wink

I hope it will reduce the frequency of DDoS attacks, as there won't be huge CPU mining botnets anymore. But the last big DDoS attack on multiple pools was about extortion. They demanded money before they would stop the attack. This is more of a general internet problem.

I think a lot of miners just never thought about it before, and Ozcoin is the first big pool to make such a switch. I think miners will be more accepting of fair fees once they realise that they are important for smooth running of a pool.

I do like your "perks", and not just because I can pretend I'm playing Fallout. It's community building, and I hope it's working well for you.

It works well, except 1% donation to get paid for orphans is probably priced a bit too cheaply. Currently 1 orphan will wreck the income of 70 good blocks for the pool (70% of the hashpower use this perk and average BTC donations is 1%). Raising prices is never popular though. I'm thinking about more perks and other non-free services, so I'm very interested to see how this works out for Ozcoin.

[Tycho]

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 11:47:17 PM

This gave me some pause for thought - as ASICS and more FPGAs come online, DDOS will be a thing of the past as pool difficulties rise. No more DDOS! How can ASICs be bad? Wink
ASICs and DDoS are unrelated.
Legitimate load and DDoS is not the same.

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net - Both payment schemes (including PPS), instant payout, no invalid blocks !
ICBIT Trading platform : USD/BTC futures trading, Bitcoin difficulty futures (NEW!). Third year in bitcoin business.
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 12:02:04 AM

Exactly what Tycho said.  I don't know why there was even mention of the two in the same sentence.  The only thing relating the two is that the first few rounds of ASICs might be able to solo mine with reasonable control over variance, but if ASICs are really it's only a matter of time until everybody is pointing ASICs at pools to beat variance just like they do with GPUs today.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 12:24:01 AM

Exactly what Tycho said.  I don't know why there was even mention of the two in the same sentence.  The only thing relating the two is that the first few rounds of ASICs might be able to solo mine with reasonable control over variance, but if ASICs are really it's only a matter of time until everybody is pointing ASICs at pools to beat variance just like they do with GPUs today.

As I mentioned to Tycho in a PM, that would be because I misunderstood how pools work. I'd thought DDoSing was something like what happens when a CPU botnet starts submitting to a pool. Increase pool diff and CPU botnets won't be able to submit much at all. I didn't realise that a DDoS would be just as effective if you just threw crap at a mining server.

Consider me schooled, gentlemen!

DrHaribo
Legendary

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 08:55:55 AM

There's been cases where botnet operators have been mining in pools and gotten banned. Then they get angry and attack the pool with a DDoS attack. I thought that's what we were talking about. If botnet operators stop mining we'll see less of this.

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 07:00:53 AM

Any other useful stats or charts anyone would like to see?

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 10:37:48 AM

Something to look forward to on Sunday - weekly hashrate averages per block (per day for BTCGuild). I've attempted to sanitise the data as much as possible, for example short rounds where Timestamps could be in error and for errors in the data (one pool has 0 shares listed for several rounds - you know who you are Wink) but errors may still creep in. Let me know if anything looks totally wonky to you.

[Tycho]

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 12:50:50 PM

Nice new graphs, cool :)

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net - Both payment schemes (including PPS), instant payout, no invalid blocks !
ICBIT Trading platform : USD/BTC futures trading, Bitcoin difficulty futures (NEW!). Third year in bitcoin business.
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 01:37:40 PM

Nice new graphs, cool Smiley

You like that, eh? Well, I got tired of telling people that DeepBit was being hopped less since I published an NPW blog post on it, so check this out:

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 04:57:59 PM

You are talking about me!  I know it!  While they are not technically 0 share rounds, for the purposes of share calculation they are.  Keeps the ultra fast miners from getting all the reward at the expense of the slower miners, making it fair for everyone.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 03:03:43 AM

You are talking about me!  I know it!  While they are not technically 0 share rounds, for the purposes of share calculation they are.  Keeps the ultra fast miners from getting all the reward at the expense of the slower miners, making it fair for everyone.

This is a DGM optimisation?

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 11:38:27 PM

I don't know that I would classify it as directly related to DGM, it just counts the block as zero shares, thus bypassing DGM all together and paying out the current score (which is basically the same as the previous block score).

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
DrHaribo
Legendary

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 11:44:28 PM

Nice graphs. Look at BitMinter go! How do you like them apples? Grin

Why the wonky graph for Slush? I thought his pool wasn't hoppable anymore.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: