Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:36:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Weekly pool and network statistics  (Read 91231 times)
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2012, 11:07:21 AM
Last edit: October 28, 2012, 11:24:47 AM by organofcorti

28th October weekly pool statistics

This week, the top pool hashrates are fairly stable, andBTCGuild's lead over DeepBit looks persistent. Ozcoin finally increases its percentage of the network hashrate - something I've been expecting to see for many weeks.

If BitMinter's hashrate continues to increase at the current rate it will be in the top tier in about a month, and if you look at Chart 5 you'll see that BitMinter has had significantly lower negative binomial CDF than than any other pool. Perhaps lucky pools attract miners?

Bitlc is not included since it didn't solve any blocks in the last 7 days.

I noticed a very large influx of Russian / Ukrainian IPs in the last 24 hours - welcome! Please post questions if you need anything explained - I'm not sure how well Google Translate works with technical language.

You can view all charts at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 01:54:15 AM

Deepbit still has the highest number of blocks but is in third?  And is second in network block percentage? How does that work?

What does "Time in days" mean?
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2012, 02:30:45 AM

Deepbit still has the highest number of blocks but is in third?  And is second in network block percentage? How does that work?
The number of blocks solved is influence by pool hashrate and also by pool luck. Deepbit has been lucky: their percentage of blocks solved is higher than their percentage of network hashrate. You can see that their mean (shares per round)/Difficulty is less than one.

Sam

The number of days over which the average was taken. Last week I calculated the statistics early, this week I did the calculations late so the average was over more than a week for most pools.

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 10:52:27 AM

Deepbit still has the highest number of blocks but is in third?  And is second in network block percentage? How does that work?
The number of blocks solved is influence by pool hashrate and also by pool luck. Deepbit has been lucky: their percentage of blocks solved is higher than their percentage of network hashrate. You can see that their mean (shares per round)/Difficulty is less than one.

I thought you posted some time ago that you estimated pool hash rate from the number of block's solved?

Sam

The number of days over which the average was taken. Last week I calculated the statistics early, this week I did the calculations late so the average was over more than a week for most pools.

Ah, so it's actually "Weeklyish Pool Statistics" Smiley

That actually answers my first question too.
Thanks,
Sam

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2012, 11:16:59 AM

Deepbit still has the highest number of blocks but is in third?  And is second in network block percentage? How does that work?

I thought you posted some time ago that you estimated pool hash rate from the number of block's solved?

I only use that estimate for 50BTC since they don't publish shares per round data.

Sam

Ah, so it's actually "Weeklyish Pool Statistics" Smiley

That actually answers my first question too.
Thanks,
Sam

Well, I do publish the pool statistics weekly. If I'd called the posts "Pool statistics based on an invariant time period of precisely 604800 seconds" you might have embarrassed me.

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 11:21:47 AM

Well, I do publish the pool statistics weekly. If I'd called the posts "Pool statistics based on an invariant time period of precisely 604800 seconds" you might have embarrassed me.

It would be a bit wordy.  But if it was set to a catchy tune...
Smiley

tomaszsz

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 11:25:32 AM

why this statistics does not include polmine.pl  ?
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2012, 11:40:25 AM

why this statistics does not include polmine.pl  ?

Because polmine does not provide a round history API. If they would like to provide me with a .csv API then I'll be happy to add them. The API should provide the following data in a .csv format:

Code:
"blockheight"  |  "timestamp"  |  "shares"  |  "roundseconds" |  "difficulty"  |  "orphaned"  |  "blockhash"  

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2012, 04:26:30 AM

4th November weekly pool statistics

Welcome, miners. The top story this week is DeepBit's very strange drop in hashrate mid week. Is this because of DeepBit's well known attempt to remove pool hoppers from the pool, or something else? The loss to pool hoppers chart will be inaccurate for DeepBit this week due to the large change in base hashrate.

BitMinter continues to increase it's share of the network hashrate, one of the only pools to see a significant increase in hashrate this week. They also continue to have good luck. Suspiciously good luck. I suspect human sacrifice to the god of the blocks may be the answer here.

BitcoinPool did not solve a block this week and so are not listed.

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2012, 08:18:46 AM

11th November weekly pool statistics

Welcome, miners.

Ozcoin finds a very mysterious 500Ghps gradually over about 5 days this week. This means an in crease in average hashrate of about 250 Ghps, and an increase in percentage of network hashrate. Someone received an early ASIC shipment? /tinfoilhat

The obvious increase in pool hopping at Slush's pool maybe the reason for their increase in network hashrate this week.

Every thing I wrote about BitMinter last week still stands, except I think their luck and increase in hashrate maybe due to technomancy rather than human sacrifice. I'm not completely sure, though.

Apart from Ozcoin, BitMinter, and Slush's pool, all the other large pools lost a percentage of network hashrate.

Bitlc.net, Triplemining, and Mkalinin are missing this week due to a mix of lack of block solves and an update to RCurl that seems to have messed up some of my scripts. Note to self: Test scripts after a major update in R.

Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2012, 08:43:01 AM

hehe actually the extra hashrate is ALL on the new stratum servers, ecoinpool nodes are maintaining hashrates Cheesy
I am expecting vardiff to bring more users to stratum nodes Smiley

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2012, 04:14:34 AM

18th November weekly pool statistics

Welcome, miners.

Something quite strange happened this week. The weekly average network hashrate dropped by almost two Thps. At the same time, the percentage of the network hashrate for each of the top seven pools rose significantly, in some cases reversing longstanding downward trends. The smallest of the top seven, Ozcoin is at ~ 1Thps.

In order for this to occur, some of the network hashrate went offline this week without affecting the larger pools at all, so none of it was from miners at the larger pools. As far as I can tell, the smaller pools that lost hashrate did not lose a total of ~ 2 Thps. So this loss in network hashrate must be from one or more solominers.

My suspicion is that some testing of ASICs has occurred and has now ended. Perhaps it was thought that by gradually adding hashrate no one would notice the increase, but they didn't think about gradually ending testing, hence the rapid decline. And it wouldn't be particularly noticeable if the historic charts of pool % of network hashrate were not available.

Anyone have other ideas?

Feel free to comment. I'll try to reply, but I've just realised there's some blogger.com problem preventing me from reply at the moment. I hope to get it fixed soon.

meebs

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 04:37:23 AM

I am really curious where the hashpower coinlab is getting ends up.

▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄
           ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄
        ▄██████▀▀             ▀▀██████▄
      ▄█████▀▀                    ▀▀█████▄
     █████▀                          ▀█████
    ████▀          ▄▄███████▄▄         ▀████
   ████▌        ▄██▀▀▀    ▀▀▀██▄        ▐████
  ████▌       ▄██▀            ▀██▄       ▐████
 ▐████       ██▀   ▄▄█▀▀▀█▄▄    ▀██       ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▀  ▄▄   ▀▀             ▐████
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
▐████       ██  ▐█  ▐█                     ████▌
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▄  ▀▀   ▄▄    ██▀      ▐████
 ▐████       ██▄   ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀    ██▌       ████▌
  █████       ▀██▄            ▄██▀       █████
   █████        ▀██▄▄▄    ▄▄▄██▀        █████
    █████          ▀▀███████▀▀         █████
     █████▄                          ▄█████
      ▀█████▄▄                    ▄▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄             ▄▄██████▀
           ▀████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀
              ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀▀
Global Cryptocurrency
          ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

DECENTRALISING PRODUCTION, LOGISTICS AND PAYMENT 
                ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   3D SERVICE      32 BAY     GCC WEBWALLET
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2012, 04:45:35 AM

Yes, afaik they don't publish pool stats, so I have no idea what they're doing. I don't think they would have nearly 2Thps though.

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 03:40:39 AM

25th November weekly pool statistics

Welcome, miners.

First, some sad news. I have been spending far too much time every Sunday fixing bugs - mostly relating to HTML scraping and sometimes to do with abnormal data from pools. I can't justify the amount of time I spend on this to my family, so I have to make some hard choices.
I will not be continuing to update stats for pools that only provides round history on a https protected page, if that pool's page starts to throw errors. If the pool wants to provide a .csv of round history, then I'll be happy to include them again.
Any statistic or chart of which I cannot be confident I will not be continuing.

This week, we unfortunately must say goodbye to Coinotron. I hope we see them again soon, once a round history api is available. Also, I won't be including BTCGuild's hashrate per day in the hashrate per round charts, since that data is easily available from the pool's website, in a much easier to use format and with a longer history.

Also this week we say goodbye to the "orphaned blocks" charts. It has been pointed out to me that the data on orphaned blocks I get from many pools do not match the information compiled elsewhere.

Hopefully, trimming down pools that require excessive time to manage and charts which may not be accurate will give me time to do some overdue code rewrites. My aim is to be able to run the scripts automatically - and right now this is not possible most of the time. I'd also like to work on a few sanity checks - I hadn't realised there could be such significant errors in timestamp reporting as there were this week, one pool reporting timestamps that were three months before the current time.

Finally, an interesting fact this week - Deepbit does not seem to be suffering from poolhopping at all as far as I can see, and the "pool hopper loss" chart (which is only an estimate) agree with this. Nice work, [Tycho]. I do hope it lasts for you.

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 12:42:58 PM

First, some sad news. I have been spending far too much time every Sunday

That certainly is understandable.

I really appreciate your effort in this table of stats.  I'm starting to really enjoy checking it out and keeping better tabs on the pools.
I think this topic should be pinned below your mining pools list.
Thanks,
Sam

Graet
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 01:03:46 PM

I really appreciate your effort in this table of stats.  I'm starting to really enjoy checking it out and keeping better tabs on the pools.
Thanks,
Sam
+1

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2012, 01:08:01 AM

Thanks,
Sam
+1

Thanks for the kind thoughts both of you. Part of this is probably my fault, since I've spent much more time writing scripts to scrape webpages than I have actually encouraging pools to provide a .csv of round history.

My script for bitparking, (which has a great .csv of round history, includes Difficulty, round duration etc)  is now down to two lines. My script for Bitcoinpool is around a hundred lines and needs nursing. No more! I'll spend my time making sure the stats are accurate, and the tables and charts more useful and legible.

For next week I'm also removing % network blocks, and the  historical chart of % network hashrate is going to be top 10 only. I hope it makes the data a bit easier to follow.

Vote to remove your least favourite chart here!

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 07:09:23 AM
Last edit: December 02, 2012, 07:28:29 AM by organofcorti

2nd November December weekly pool statistics

Welcome, miners.

I spent most of the week rewriting scripts for accuracy and to fail better. I'm quite happy with the results. I also made the "week" boundary much firmer by only including blocks after the first block last Sunday (UTC) to the last block Saturday (UTC). The blocks are included in the first table title.

Changes:
Figure 1: Table
I  removed data that no one was interested in, and added more pertinent data. I've included network statistics, handy if you're comparing a pool's performance to the network's performance in general, and  I added the CDF so that the "shares per round / D" makes a bit more sense, and added the upper and lower 95% confidence intervals for the Network and 50BTC.com hashrate estimates. I did this since I noticed on the bitcointalk.org forum many posters confusing the daily or hourly network hashrate estimates for the actual number of hashes submitted. This is of course impossible, and after trying to explain why a few times, I thought it might be useful to just include the upper and lower 95% confidence interval for the estimate in the stats.

Figure 2:
The upper and lower 95% confidence intervals for the Network hashrate estimates are the shaded areas of the plot. It makes it much more obvious that the top three pool hashrates combined have been around the 50% of the network hashrate for quite a while - not that it matters greatly.
Figure 3:
Only the top ten pools are included. This way the chart is easier to read, and I don't have to use a log scale. I'm still collecting the data for the smaller pool if at some point in the future their hashrates increase and bring them into the top ten.

Figure 4:
The network average hashrate per 144 rounds is included, along with a shaded 95% confidence interval.

Figures 5, 6, 7, 8:
No changes to the display of the data.

Let me know what you think of the changes, and if you'd like the data they're based on pasted somewhere.

Graet
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 07:17:22 AM

* Graet whispers "it is December"

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: