Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 01:06:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Weekly pool and network statistics  (Read 91237 times)
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 10:39:46 AM

Hi organofcorti,
  If I had to guess...your ghash.io average speed is wrong.  They were ahead of BTC Guild up until the end of this week based on my interim checks.  Then again, the luck *seems* off (I don't think pool luck has been 104% this last week, it wasn't good for the first half of the week at least).  I'll take a look on my end to see if I can find what my calculated luck % was for the week.

Thanks eleuthria - let me know what you find.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 12:07:31 PM

22nd December 2013 weekly pool and network statistics

Other weekly pool and network statistics posts

Welcome, miners.

Changelog:

Change in the method used to estimate BTCGuild's luck (see below).

Usual pools missing from results:

50BTC.com, Ozcoin, Triplemining, Deepbit: No blocks solved this week.

Errors:

Data from Polmine was in error this week as some unixtime dates were set to zero. This affected the table, the pie chart and the pool hashrate per round chart.

Pools with coinbase signature:

ASICMiner: "Mined By ASICMiner"
    Alydian5335: "Alydian5335"
    Bitparking: "bitparking"
    BitMinter: "BitMinter"
    BTCGuild: "Mined by BTC Guild", "BTC Guild DE", "BTC Guild 2", "BTC Guild US2", "BTC Guild GW"
    CoinLab: "CoinLab"
    Discus Fish: "七彩神仙鱼" and "Made in China"
    EclipseMC: "EMC"
    Eligius: "Eligius"
    50BTC.com: "Hi from 50BTC.com" and "50BTC.com"
    GHash.IO: "ghash.io" (not current)
    GIVE-ME-COINS.com: "Mined at GIVE-ME-COINS.com"
    HHTT: "HHTT"
    Megabigpower "megabigpower.com"
    175btc.com": "Mined By 175btc.com"
    Ozcoin: "ozcoin"
    Pierce and Paul: "For Pierce and Paul"
    Triplemining: "Triplemining.com"
    Slush's pool: "slush"

Recent coinbase messages:

258692 "To my honey, by bitfish."
    259575 259622 259625 "EMC: Organofcorti lives!"
    263952 "btcpoolman"

Pool hopping:

Nil.

1. BTCGuild and GHash.IO

I couldn't check last week's data from GHash.IO or BTCGuild as I had a crash while I was still investigating, and I haven't yet implemented scripts to automatically save data - just the data summary. However there were many outages for GHash.IO last week which may have caused the average weekly hashrate to be reduced.

Today I did some bug checking on the script estimating BTCGuild's luck (difficulty 1 shares / network difficulty). Unfortunately, each check take about an hour and a half (I have poor internet connectivity here), so as a stop-gap solution the script now estimates BTCGuild's luck as the inverse of the average shown on BTCGuild's luck estimate chart. This is not optimal since I'm using pre-digested data, so I hope to fix this at some point when I have time.

2. Polmine

Polmine's data this week had all but the last three unixtime block solve dates as zero. The effect of this was to cause a hashrate error which I only noticed this after I'd finished running all the scripts, and I didn't have time to recalculate everything. The number of blocks by Polmine solved is correct.

The error in turn affected the Polmine data in the table, all the data in the second pie chart (which is why it's blank), and all the data in the hashrate per round chart. The latter was too damaged to use, so it is not included this week.

3. Ozcoin

Ozcoin did not solve a block this week. This is a great pool, run by an operator for whom I have much respect. If you feel the need to help increase the hashrates of smaller pools, this would be a good place to start.

As usual, please post comments if there's anything you don't understand, with which you disagree, or just think is wrong.
You can view this weeks charts at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com/2013/12/december-15th-2013-weekly-pool-and.html

You can view all previous charts at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com.au/search/label/weeklypoolstatistics and other posts and fun things at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com. Follow me on Twitter @oocBlog for notification of new posts as soon as I publish.

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 12:09:23 PM

29thDecember 2013 weekly pool and network statistics

Welcome, miners.

Changelog:

Prettified the pie chart a bit more.

50BTC.com, Bitparking, Deepbit, GIVE-ME-COINS.com, Triplemining: No blocks solved this week.

Errors:

Nil.

BTCGuild: "Mined by BTC Guild", "BTC Guild DE", "BTC Guild 2", "BTC Guild US2", "BTC Guild GW"

263952 "btcpoolman"

Pool hopping:

Nil.

1. The network's weekly average hashrate hits 10 Phps.

Well, somewhere between 9.4 and 10.5 Phps anyway. Although the block solve rate was reduced to 1185 blocks this week, I imagine that will pick up again after the Christmas / New Years holidays are over and deliveries continue as usual.

2. Discus Fish continues to grab more of the network

Discus Fish, a Chinese pool,  has increased it's share of the network continuously for the last six weeks, and has increased by more than 600% over the last nine weeks. Don't Chinese miners mine anywhere else? Or does the pool have something that others don't? If Discus Fish does have some quality that makes it attractive to miners and they start courting English speaking miners, GHash.IO could be in trouble. In any case, it's nice to see a small pool move up to the top 5 in such an explosive fashion.

Another nice thing that Disus Fish does is immortalise it's miners - if you're lucky enough to solve a block for them, they add your name to their coinbase signature, for example in block height 277468:

"\003\xdc;\004七彩神仙鱼\xe2\xf7\a\032.N%\006\x96\xcf|o\x9b\xb65\031[-\xaa)\xe3\xc8&\xc7\xf7\xe7+\xf6\003\\\020\004X\xe7Ɩ\b\n|Mined by user yangzhiqing"

3. Pierce and Paul

Pierce and Paul are only known by their/its coinbase signature, for example this one from block height 276311:

"\003W7\004YQ\x84\x9a4]\xeeu\xfd'eN\xe3\xdd\xf6\t\xff\xbc\xf83"\025\016\xd0(N\xa4\xfb\xba%\x90G\004Й\xb3\005\001\xd5For Pierce and Paul"

I have been assuming it's a private hashing entity rather than a private pool since the hashrate has remained steady (and the proportion of the network slowly decreasing) since they started signing the coinbase. This week sees a very large increase in the hashrate for them, so either a bunch of new ASIC hashers have been purchased by them, or they've become a private pool.

4. Happy new year everyone!

That is all.

As usual, please post comments if there's anything you don't understand, with which you disagree, or just think is wrong.
You can view this weeks charts at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com/2013/12/december-29th-2013-weekly-pool-and.html

You can view all previous charts at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com.au/search/label/weeklypoolstatistics and other posts and fun things at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com. Follow me on Twitter @oocBlog for notification of new posts as soon as I publish.

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 07:21:09 AM

NOTE: There will be no Weekly Pool and Network Statistics this week, as I'm going to having a communications-free week. Instead, I've written a short post commemorating one of the strangest and most fun pools of the last couple of years.

http://organofcorti.blogspot.com/2014/01/17-goodbye-hhtt-coinbase-will-never-be.html

HHTT's coinbase messages: http://bitbin.it/VOXWstm9

Have a good weekend!

DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 11:22:13 PM

2 weeks with no updates!?!  I'm having withdrawals  Shocked
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 01:29:43 AM

2 weeks with no updates!?!  I'm having withdrawals  Shocked

Just running late, DrG - I'll post later on today.

Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 02:02:18 AM

I'm not sure why, but i always look forward to these posts. Cheesy
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 05:49:52 AM

Because, Trongersoll, like me you're a sticky-beak Wink

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 06:38:33 AM

January 12th 2014 Weekly Pool and Network Statistics

Welcome, miners.

Changelog:

"Luck" for BTCGuild not included, and I will not be including it again until I can find a measurement in which I have more confidence. This is nothing to do with my confidence in BTC Guild, just the difficulty in calculating a luck score that is comparable to those of other pools, since BTC Guild does not report shares per round.

Deepbit, GIVE-ME-COINS.com, 175btc.com, BTCDig, Ozcoin, Itzod: No blocks solved this week.
    50BTC.com - API no longer working. I'll need to contact them to get this fixed.

Errors:

Nil.

263952 "btcpoolman"

Pool hopping:

Nil.

1. I had a wonderful break, thank you for all your Christmas / New Year well-wishing.

As well as a nice break in the country-side, I've been working hard on a way to get real time charts going. The big hurdle was to come up with an automated way of assigning blocks to pools. I've now done this based on coinbase signatures, known generation addresses and blocks claimed by pools. In the short term this allows me a great deal of flexibility and ease when invistigating block ownership; in the medium term I'll be able to base weekly data on blockchain results and pool website results separately; and in the long term it will be the engine on which real time charts can be produced. I've still got lots of work to do, but it's coming along (and it's why this post is being published a week late.

As an example of the sorts of things I can do, have a look at this:

http://bitbin.it/3iIbl6tA

It's a .csv table (easy to import into spreadsheeting software) and provides the attribution for each block, and whether or not the block creator was identifiable by either coinbase signature or generation address, or whether the pool claimed the block on their website, and what proof they used that the block was theirs (tx hash or block hash). Where available, the number of difficulty 1 equivalent shares / network difficulty (the standard "luck" calculation) is given in the final column - larger than 1.0 is poor "luck", less than 1.0 is good "luck".

2. Donation address has changed.

My previous donation address was a personal address I used for everything. The new address:

1QC2KE4GZ4SZ8AnpwVT483D2E97SLHTGCG

is only going to be used for blog donations so I can keep track of them better.

3. GHash.io

I'm not going to write much about this. I think much of the panic of the past week is due to poor interpretation of the 24 hour Blockchain.info pie charts, which are affected by variance. The weekly average is at about 32% of the network, and the rate of increase is less than it has been. It's important to encourage GHash.io to reduce its network percentage but there's no need for the sorts of witch hunts we've been seeing - the worst since those protesting against DeepBit when that pool was king.

You can view this weeks charts at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com/2014/01/january-12th-2013-weekly-pool-and.html

Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 07:42:15 PM

The lack of growth in Slush's pool saddens me. I hate seeing it shrink like this. I think most of the problem is that people can't wrap their head around it's distribution system(who gets how much of the reward). They are always second guessing it, incorrectly. How it works is addressed weekly in it's support thread. Sad...  Cry
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 11:36:28 PM

The lack of growth in Slush's pool saddens me. I hate seeing it shrink like this. I think most of the problem is that people can't wrap their head around it's distribution system(who gets how much of the reward). They are always second guessing it, incorrectly. How it works is addressed weekly in it's support thread. Sad...  Cry

I'd like to see it prosper too, and it certainly has a good deal of uptime. But since he's using a non-standard and exploitable reward method, he needs to either be available or employ someone to be available. Look at DrHaribo or eleuthria - they spend most of every day helping miners, and thats with easily understood reward methods.

I understand Trezor is important, and it's probably all Slush has time to deal with right now. But he is taking a 2% fee and at the current exchange rate I'm sure he could get someone to answer questions about the pool for him.

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 06:20:36 AM

January 19th 2014 Weekly Pool and Network Statistics

Welcome, miners.

Changelog:

Nil.

No time to check.

Errors:

Nil.

263952 "btcpoolman"

Pool hopping:

Nil.

1. Update incomplete

I've struggled to find time to complete the update to include more block statistics and more unknown hashrate sources. I've had to give up for the moment, and so I've posted this week's update based on the old scripts.

2. Now I'm off to bed.

Goodnight!

You can view this weeks charts at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com/2014/01/january-19th-2014-weekly-pool-and.html

os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 01:16:28 PM

I've struggled to find time to complete the update to include more block statistics and more unknown hashrate sources. I've had to give up for the moment, and so I've posted this week's update based on the old scripts.

You can only do what you can do when you can do it.

I appreciate what you do do.
Thanks,
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 10:45:15 PM

You can only do what you can do when you can do it.

I appreciate what you do do.
Thanks,
Sam

Cheers, Sam. I'll have something pretty cool soon, I hope.

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 10:34:54 AM
Last edit: January 26, 2014, 12:19:50 PM by organofcorti

January 26th 2014 Weekly Pool and Network Statistics

Welcome, miners.

Changelog:

Everything - see below

I haven't rebuilt this part yet - TBA.

Errors:

I haven't found any - please tell me if you find something.

0. Update almost complete

The reasons behind working on a new method of gathering and analysing network hashrate contribution statistics for the last few months :

Orphaned blocks were often incorrectly reported by pools.
    There is a wide variety of block history reporting methods, some of which don't report block heights, and some of which don't report block creation times, some report block hashes, and some report only the transaction hash of the generation address transaction.
    I had no simple way to integrate new hashrate sources.
    I had no way to attribute blocks to generation addresses.

I decided to gather the pool statistics into one dataframe, and then grep the block chain for the reported block hashes or transaction hash. Once found, each block is marked as confirmed.

This means that I have an accurate record of orphaned blocks, but it also means that I can use the blockchain height and timestamp recorded on the blockchain to fill in the data that some pools do not report.

Only orphaned blocks can't be assigned a timestamp in this way, and for pools which do not report the creation time of an orphaned block I use the timestamp of the block that won the orphan race. For pools reporting neither block height nor time of orphaned blocks, I use the next time the pools solves a block. In these latter two cases some inaccuracy may occur.

Several important notes:

There are several pools with missing historical data or are missing from historical data completely. This only affects the extent of the historical data charts (for example Figure 2) but not the accuracy - except for some early values of top three pool's combined hashrates.
    I have requested this data from several pools but have not yet heard back, except from BTC Guild which doesn't have the data available anymore, and BTC Mine which will deliver their complete history soon.
    I won't be including pool-hopping charts unless pool-hopping becomes common once more.

1. Weekly statistics using blockchain data

Using only blockchain data, the following statistics can be reported:

An estimate of the hashrate (with the upper and lower 95% confidence interval bounds).
    Valid blocks solved.
    The percentage of network blocks solved.

The first table is a compilation of those statistics, including non pool sources such as CloudHashing and pools that don't have public reporting of statistics, such as Discus Fish. Note that actual pool hashrates (where available) will be more accurate.

2. Weekly statistics using pool reported data

The weekly statistics that can be calculated using all solved blocks - both valid and orphaned - and difficulty 1 shares per round are:

A much more accurate estimate of the hashrate, confidence intervals are unnecessary.
    Orphan races lost, and percentage of  solved blocks that were not added to the blockchain.
    "Luck" is the usual difficulty 1 equivalent shares per round / mining difficulty,  or (equivalently) accepted shares / expected shares.
    CDF: The cumulative density function (CDF) measures the percentage of the time this number accepted shares / expected shares would be less than the calculated value, given the number of valid + invalid blocks.
    Bitcoin per Gigashare. This figure is not an indicator of how much a miner should have expected per one million Difficulty 1 shares (or one thousand difficulty 1000 shares, etc), since it doesn't take into account the reward method or fees charged. Rather, it should be considered as a "luck" index that also incorporates the number of orphaned blocks and the current reward per block.

Since BTC Guild doesn't report shares per block but does report transaction hashes for all blocks, luck calculations cannot be calculated but orphaned blocks can. Pools such as "Discus Fish" that don't have a public pool interface can not be included.

3. Reused but unknown generation addresses

Unknown generation addresses that are not reused are probably solominers or private mining concerns that don't have share-holders wanting to follow transactions. However, reused addresses are probably from hash contributors that do not wish to remain anonymous. These need to be identified so they can be removed from the "Unknown" group. I'm not interested in identifying those who wish to remain completely anonymous, so I'm not trying to trace originating IP addresses (as Blockchain.info does).

Table 3:Blocks solved by unknown but re-used generation addresses Jan 27 2013 to Jan 26 2014

(not included - see blog for table)

4. Percentage of network blocks

The only change here is that I'm not bothering with percentage of the network hashrate, which was inaccurate due to an increase in the number of hashrate sources with estimated hashrates.

5. 51% attack chart

There are several changes here compared to the previous version is that hashrates are all estimated from blocks solved, and the history goes back to the earliest date my data contains three known pools. As previously mentioned, some pool data may be missing from the earliest data points.

6. Network percentage history of the current top ten contributors.

Data is calculated from the number of blocks each contributor added to the blockchain during the week, rather than using hashrates and estimated hashrates, and becuase of this should be more accurate with a longer history. The other changes are cosmetic.

7. Average hashrate per solved block (valid + invalid)

The only changes here are cosmetic:

Changes to facet labels and background.
    The last two weeks are included rather than just the last week.
    BTC Guild not included. This is because I've simplified data that I scrape and collect to improve robustness of the data collection. However, BTC Guild has a very good hashrate chart which has matched my past estimates quite well and which I regard as accurate.
    The network hashrate per 144 blocks is also not included, since I think it is of limited use to readers more interested in pools.

8. Pool "luck"

I have wanted to remove either the shares per round / network Difficulty chart or the CDF chart, since they measure the same thing. However I couldn't make up my mind as to which would be the better chart to keep. In the end I came up with something I think is better than both.

This chart is new and might look a little confusing at first, but is actually simple and intuitive to follow once you get the hang of it. The orange dots are the usual accepted shares / expected shares (equivalently, shares per round / network Difficulty). The background colours are accepted shares / expected shares confidence intervals for the number of blocks solved for the week. The greater the number of blocks solved (the higher the percentage of the network) the narrower the bounds.

The "luck" data points should be outside the upper or lower boundaries only rarely. Many data points outside this range indicate unusual and unlikely "luck".

Data only goes back for the last twelve months at most - any more data points than this becomes hard to read, and recent data is most important.

9. User hashrate and combined user hashrate densities

Cosmetic changes only.

You can view this weeks charts at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com/2014/01/january-26th-2014-weekly-pool-and.html

Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 10:41:31 AM
Last edit: January 26, 2014, 10:51:56 AM by Sonny

Thanks for the report, organofcorti.

I am surprised to see Discus Fish growing so rapidly for the past months.
Is it indeed a pool? Or is it some sort of private mining farm?
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 10:47:09 AM

Is it indeed a pool? Or is it sort sort of private mining farm?

Discus Fish is a Chinese pool that was started by Chinese student bitcoin enthusiasts. I don't know much more about it. There's a bit of information about the relationship between Discus Fish and "For Pierce and Paul" here: http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/2013/12/29

iongchun

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 01:33:54 PM

Discus Fish is a Chinese pool that was started by Chinese student bitcoin enthusiasts. I don't know much more about it. There's a bit of information about the relationship between Discus Fish and "For Pierce and Paul" here: http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/2013/12/29

Discus Fish is the pool operator’s nickname, his/her pool is f2pool.com
Pity that no much public data can be found there for unregistered user.

Bitcoin: 1NFMpJUW7sTKmnVKj12MxhPvCvzAKQ5gUV
Namecoin: N5Tnt3JyMeizsoAFAZDr7CSxjzDtPSisK8
Mining with P2Pool. Graph. Blocks.
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 01:34:57 PM

Thanks! I'll have to update the pool name. Do you mine there?

iongchun

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 01:49:42 PM

Thanks! I'll have to update the pool name. Do you mine there?

Of course not, you can read from my signature Wink

From what I read on f2pool’s website, it is a PPS pool with 4% fee (24 BTC paid per block),
payout is made once a day for miners with balance of 0.0005 BTC or more.
It seems only Stratum is supported as mining protocol.
I guess tx fee is kept by the pool.

Bitcoin: 1NFMpJUW7sTKmnVKj12MxhPvCvzAKQ5gUV
Namecoin: N5Tnt3JyMeizsoAFAZDr7CSxjzDtPSisK8
Mining with P2Pool. Graph. Blocks.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: