Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:32:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Weekly pool and network statistics  (Read 91231 times)
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 07:51:41 AM

Wow! Ozxoin has done great!
zvs , what will be your next forecast?
I forecast that Deepbit solves a lot of blocks on blockchain.info  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2014, 11:49:33 AM

March 9th 2014 Weekly Hashrate Contributor and Network Statistics

Other Weekly Hashrate Contributor and Network Statistics posts

Welcome, miners.

Changelog:

KNC Miner solo mining identified from generation addresses and have been added to the weekly statistics.

Errors:

Nil known.

Notifications:

Please excuse all puns.

0.  KNC solo mining

I found the KNC Mining addresses, which they haven't been trying to hide and have used for quite a while. They debut at ~7.75% of the network. That Swedish datacentre is running hot!

1. GHash.IO loses 30% of its hashrate

This week, GHash.IO loses 30% of its hashrate and 6% of the network. This is one of only three weeks during which GHash.IO have lost such a great deal of the network. The top four pools are now much closer; last week there was more than a twenty percent difference between the top four block solvers, and this week there's only a thirteen percent difference.

2. Unknown generation addresses.

Still working on this, and still very interesting. I hadn't don't much graph theory before now, and it's a bit of a steep learning curve, but very interesting. Some apropos links:

Bitcoin Transaction Graph Analysis

An Analysis of Anonymity in the Bitcoin System (blog)

An Analysis of Anonymity in the Bitcoin System (paper)

Quantitative Analysis of the Full Bitcoin Transaction Graph

Do the rich get richer? An empirical analysis of the Bitcoin transaction network

An Analysis of Anonymity in Bitcoin Using P2P Network Tra ffic

3. Blockchain related recreation: http://bitcoinstrings.com keeps track of all the graffiti in the block chain.For light reading, or inspiration if you're trying to write a poem.

Explanation of the tables and charts.

Table 1: Solved block statistics. This table lists all statistics that can be derived from the number of blocks a hashrate contributor has solved for the past week. Block attributions are from either coinbase signatures, known generation addresses or claimed by a particular pool block history. Includes non-Pool hashrate contributors. Note that actual pool hashrates when derived from shares submitted per unit time will be more accurate than the hashrate estimates given in this table.

"Unknown" is not an entity, but simply the group of blocks to which I cannot give attribution using the methods given above.

Table 2: Pool reported block history statistics.  This table lists all statistics that can be derived from the number of blocks a hashrate contributor has solved for the past week using all solved blocks - both valid and orphaned - and difficulty 1 shares per round.

A much more accurate estimate of the hashrate, confidence intervals are unnecessary.
    Orphan races lost, and percentage of  solved blocks that were not added to the blockchain.
    "Luck" is the usual difficulty 1 equivalent shares per round / mining difficulty,  or (equivalently) accepted shares / expected shares.
    CDF: The cumulative density function (CDF) measures the percentage of the time this number accepted shares / expected shares would be less than the calculated value, given the number of valid + invalid blocks.
    Bitcoin per Gigashare. This figure is not an indicator of how much a miner should have expected per one billion Difficulty 1 shares (or one thousand difficulty megashares, etc), since it doesn't take into account the reward method or fees charged. Rather, it should be considered as a "luck" index that also incorporates the number of orphaned blocks and the current reward per block.

Since BTC Guild doesn't report shares per block but does report transaction hashes for all blocks, luck calculations cannot be calculated but orphaned blocks can. Pools such as "Discus Fish" that don't have a public pool interface cannot be included.

Figure 3: Percentage of blocks solved each week for the current top ten contributors.

Data is calculated from the number of blocks each contributor added to the blockchain during the week. The points are the actual data; the lines are exponentiated smoothing splines of the log of the data.

You can view all previous charts at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com.au/search/label/weeklypoolstatistics and other posts and fun things at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com. Follow me on Twitter @oocBlog for notification of new posts as soon as I publish.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 04:34:27 PM

March 16th 2014 Weekly Hashrate Contributor and Network Statistics

Welcome, miners.

Changelog:

Nil

Errors:

Nil known.

Notifications:

I'm busy, not just trying to find an excuse for being slack.

0. Unknown generation addresses.

I got a lot of work done on this project during the week, in fact it's all I've done, and is the reason I'm posting this at 4am. An example of the work done on anaysing the bitcoin transaction graph for generated transactions (you might want to open the image in another tab and enlarge it):

Unfortunately I don't have time to explain the graph, although it should be simple enough to follow. Watch out for an in depth post some time this week.

1. Any comments related to actual weekly bitcoin network statistics?

No time this week, sorry.

Table 1: Solved block statistics. This table lists all statistics that can be derived from the number of blocks a hashrate contributor has solved for the past week. Block attributions are from either coinbase signatures, known generation addresses or claimed by a particular pool block history. Includes non-Pool hashrate contributors. Note that actual pool hashrates when derived from shares submitted per unit time will be more accurate than the hashrate estimates given in this table.

"Unknown" is not an entity, but simply the group of blocks to which I cannot give attribution using the methods given above.

Table 2: Pool reported block history statistics.  This table lists all statistics that can be derived from the number of blocks a hashrate contributor has solved for the past week using all solved blocks - both valid and orphaned - and difficulty 1 shares per round.

A much more accurate estimate of the hashrate, confidence intervals are unnecessary.
    Orphan races lost, and percentage of  solved blocks that were not added to the blockchain.
    "Luck" is the usual difficulty 1 equivalent shares per round / mining difficulty,  or (equivalently) accepted shares / expected shares.
    CDF: The cumulative density function (CDF) measures the percentage of the time this number accepted shares / expected shares would be less than the calculated value, given the number of valid + invalid blocks.
    Bitcoin per Gigashare. This figure is not an indicator of how much a miner should have expected per one billion Difficulty 1 shares (or one thousand difficulty megashares, etc), since it doesn't take into account the reward method or fees charged. Rather, it should be considered as a "luck" index that also incorporates the number of orphaned blocks and the current reward per block.

Since BTC Guild doesn't report shares per block but does report transaction hashes for all blocks, luck calculations cannot be calculated but orphaned blocks can. Pools such as "Discus Fish" that don't have a public pool interface cannot be included.

You can view all previous charts at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com.au/search/label/weeklypoolstatistics and other posts and fun things at http://organofcorti.blogspot.com. Follow me on Twitter @oocBlog for notification of new posts as soon as I publish.

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 12:34:53 PM

March 23rd 2014 Weekly Hashrate Contributor and Network Statistics

Welcome, miners.

Changelog:

Nil

Errors:

Nil known.

Notifications:

Yes, I'll email you back soon.

0. Private vs public hashing.

The number of blocks solved by the network each week hash been slowly reducing, from the 1200 to 1300 blocks per week of previous months to the current 1100 blocks per week. GHash.IO still commands about two sevenths of the network, and since the KNC solomining operation moved out of Eligius (taking ten percent of the network with them) BTCGuild and Eligius have been sharing two sevenths of the network between them. The 500TH mine seems to have moved to BTCGuild, probably due to variance from their low hashrate.

Ghash.IO has an unknown proportion of private hashing; of the remaining five sevenths of the network only two thirds are in the hands of public pools. This level of private hashing is something that has been expected but I didn't really notice it until now. I expect I'll need to start following this.

Figure 3: Percentage of blocks solved each week for the current top ten contributors.

Data is calculated from the number of blocks each contributor added to the blockchain during the week. The points are the actual data; the lines are exponentiated smoothing splines of the log of the data.

eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 03:38:36 PM

0. Private vs public hashing.

The number of blocks solved by the network each week hash been slowly reducing, from the 1200 to 1300 blocks per week of previous months to the current 1100 blocks per week. GHash.IO still commands about two sevenths of the network, and since the KNC solomining operation moved out of Eligius (taking ten percent of the network with them) BTCGuild and Eligius have been sharing two sevenths of the network between them. The 500TH mine seems to have moved to BTCGuild, probably due to variance from their low hashrate.

Ghash.IO has an unknown proportion of private hashing; of the remaining five sevenths of the network only two thirds are in the hands of public pools. This level of private hashing is something that has been expected but I didn't really notice it until now. I expect I'll need to start following this.

This is something I've been pointing out recently.  The days of "X POOL IS ALMOST 51%" are likely gone, unless the pool has a massive private farm like in the case of ghash.io.  When they were ~5500 TH/s, they released a statement where they included a figure of ~45% of their speed was the private farm.  Since then, my suspicion is that percentage is higher.  Their rate of speed growth in comparison to other pools has been very high recently, considering historically public ASIC distribution affected the top pools fairly evenly.

It's not a surprise really.  Almost every manufacturer these days has a very large private farm, and/or partnerships with very large private farms.  While in the past they ended up just using pools (like ASICMINER with BTC Guild, and KNCMiner with Eligius), lately they're seeming to increase the size of the private farms and running solo.  Still, it's very disappointing to see the concentration of ASICs rapidly approaching the hands of just a few entities.  While it's not different than pools in terms of # of people "in control" of the hash power, it's also immune to any kind of public correction.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 11:58:22 AM

April 6th 2014 Weekly Hashrate Contributor and Network Statistics

Welcome, miners.

Changelog:

IceDrill added.

Errors:

Eligius missing from Figure 7 (data not available).
    Bitparking has changed names to mmpool.com. I haven't changed over the the historical data yet, and this week's data was unavailable when the data was being collected.

Notifications:

Nil.

0. Discus Fish and KNCMiner overtake BTCGuild and Eligius.

This really is very big new. Firstly, there is not much transparency when it comes to the new top three entities.

GHash.IO is the most transparent of the three, providing share per round data that is not available for Discus Fish (aka F2Pool) or KNCMiner. However we don't know how much of GHash.IO is owned by the pool, how much is hosted by the pool, and how much is contributed by miners. I'd be much more confident comfortable knowing these details.

I don't have much data at all about F2Pool. I have communicated with the pool owner a couple of times, but pool luck data is not yet available to the public. I also don't know if the pool does any local hosting.

KNC is my largest concern right now. They now have more than 13% of the network, and they haven't made it easy to find out and track their data. If they want people to be less concerned about them having local control over machines that solved nearly one-seventh of the network blocks during the past week, then they need to be a little more open with their data and their plans.

It makes me more than a little uncomfortable that of the top five block solvers, only one is definitely a pure pool (BTCGuild), and only two of the five provide any public information (GHash.IO and BTCGuild).

1. Unknown block solvers, higher again at 12%.

This week, "Unknown" is up another 1%. I'm quite certain that more than half of that belongs to  MegaBigPower.com, and another large portion belongs to another entity i have not yet been able to identify. A reader managed to identify 12ej4RU... as IceDrill, a new investor financed hashing entity. I hope to get some time during this week or next to prove that MegaBigPower.com owns certain addresses and be able to include them in next week's statistics.

joeofall

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 03:38:07 PM

thanks you
Cheeseater

Activity: 351
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 11:48:36 AM

Thanks, really appreciate your efforts on this. KNC is killing it with other peoples money.
btcash

Activity: 968
Merit: 515

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 11:41:22 AM

Love your blog. It is an important contribution to the bitcoin community/ecosystem.

Stats for last week in work?
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 12:29:38 PM

Love your blog. It is an important contribution to the bitcoin community/ecosystem.

Stats for last week in work?

Yep - sorry about that. I've had some other things that needed attention so I'm a bit behind. Should be posted in the next 24 hours at most, and will include Megabigpower as well.

Tammy Chan

Activity: 820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 08:55:34 PM

Errors:

Eligius missing from Figure 7 (data not available).
    Bitparking has changed names to mmpool.com. I haven't changed over the the historical data yet, and this week's data was unavailable when the data was being collected.

It should be mmpool.org instead.  Grin

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2014, 12:28:05 PM

April 20th 2014 Weekly Hashrate Contributor and Network Statistics

Welcome, miners.

Changelog:

Nil.

Errors:

Bitparking has changed names to mmpool.org and I still haven't had the time to change over the historical data yet. Still!

Notifications:

Nil.

0. I'm on 'bitcoin free' holidays

This means that I found some time to surreptitiously post this. Please don't tell my significant other! I'll be back on the case on Tuesday and I hope I'll get Bitparking's name changed over some time after that.

1. Address links changed to coinometrics.com

I do still appreciate all the work done by blockchain.info, however I also like the fact that coinometrics.com aims to be accurate and also explain clearly how they calculate their statistics. The selfish mining monitor is also pretty cool.

blackvoice

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 03:18:43 PM

This should help miners get a better idea of the hashrates at for pools at which they might want to mine. I'll be updating this weekly here, and also in the thread so there's a history. If you'd like anything else, let me know.

If your pool isn't here and you'd like it to be, PM me with a link to a block history with round lengths and either solve times to the nearest second or a timestamp.

April 20th 2014 Weekly Hashrate Contributor and Network Statistics

Welcome, miners.

Changelog:

Nil.

Errors:

Bitparking has changed names to mmpool.org and I still haven't had the time to change over the historical data yet. Still!

Notifications:

Nil.

0. I'm on 'bitcoin free' holidays

This means that I found some time to surreptitiously post this. Please don't tell my significant other! I'll be back on the case on Tuesday and I hope I'll get Bitparking's name changed over some time after that.

1. Address links changed to coinometrics.com

I do still appreciate all the work done by blockchain.info, however I also like the fact that coinometrics.com aims to be accurate and also explain clearly how they calculate their statistics. The selfish mining monitor is also pretty cool.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-O9dTxeWfqOA/U1OxzIm1KtI/AAAAAAAAMG0/J7pcB6hxb98/s1600/0.table2.20042014.png

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wRKE4Ew3eyM/U1OxzJupmTI/AAAAAAAAMG4/XSo4o_pd0Iw/s1600/0.table3.20042014.png

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ROR1UZBExX4/U1Ox2hH4UJI/AAAAAAAAMHU/cmcnvIofGME/s1600/3.top10pcnet.20042014.png

With this thread. I can check hashrate in time.
joeofall

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 03:36:15 AM

thank you!!  Cheesy

can i check with you all is there a way to see how much block did a pool get per day ?
i know block chain can get the past 24 hour reading. but which i don't really sure about how the reading there work.

thank you
Joe
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 07:02:47 AM

thank you!!  Cheesy

can i check with you all is there a way to see how much block did a pool get per day ?
i know block chain can get the past 24 hour reading. but which i don't really sure about how the reading there work.

thank you
Joe

http://blockorigin.pfoe.be/blocklist.php is good if it's just pools (and not solo miners) that you're interested in.

joeofall

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 01:54:18 AM

thank again for the info,

i mining on ghash, and the number of block is going down this week and i read some post saying they not paying some block.
and i like to compare them, 0000 utc to next day 2359 utc time to see it is the same.

and i am look at btcguild their number of block.

thank you organofcorti
organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2014, 03:08:20 PM
Last edit: April 27, 2014, 10:05:16 PM by organofcorti

April 27th 2014 Weekly Hashrate Contributor and Network Statistics

Welcome, miners.

Changelog:
"CBT Nuggets" added.

Errors:
Bitparking has changed names to mmpool.org and I still haven't had the time to change over the historical data yet.

Notifications:
Nil.

0. More solominers
"CBT Nuggets" moved from Eligius and started solomining, continuing the trend of large miners leaving pools and solo-mining. I see this as a relatively good thing while the solominers have smallish proportions of the network. It also means that they probably have gonads made from a ferrous alloy.

Simon8x

Activity: 568
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 07:31:53 PM

Looks like you have included the old (last week) figure 1 this time. Smiley

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2014, 10:05:40 PM

Looks like you have included the old (last week) figure 1 this time. Smiley

Well spotted! Fixed.

organofcorti (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2014, 10:19:53 AM

May 4th 2014 Weekly Hashrate Contributor and Network Statistics

Welcome, miners.

Changelog:

Bitparking changed to MMPool, and the "no Eligius orphans" bug fixed.

Errors:

Nil.

Notifications:

Nil.

0. Strange luck.

Even though lots of interesting things have been happening with pools and pool luck lately, I don't have time to comment on them. A good starting point for the interested reader is in this link.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: