Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 02:28:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Columbia student Emma Sulkowicz vows to carry mattress around university  (Read 7870 times)
Mr.Bitty (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 01:47:36 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/03/emma-sulkowicz-mattress-rape-columbia-university_n_5755612.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular&ir=Canada+Living
it's crazy

what do you think?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
( DICEBITCO.IN | → BE THE BANK! ←| BEAUTIFUL UI | @Official Thread | @Twitter)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Mr.Bitty (OP)

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 01:59:13 PM

I think college rape is a very serious issue that tends to get downplayed by universities so that their reputations don't suffer, and thus victims are often forced to suffer in silence and live with the injustice. I find her project to be a very creative and apt metaphor for what these victims must be going through.

( DICEBITCO.IN | → BE THE BANK! ←| BEAUTIFUL UI | @Official Thread | @Twitter)
zolace

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 03:18:47 PM

I don't understand why any crime isn't handled by the local police. The university can do what it wants with a student who's accused of or found guilty of a crime. But the crime itself should be handled by the police, not the university.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 03:50:49 PM

The fact that sexual assaults are regularly swept under the rug in an attempt to protect the reputation of the university is just another glaring example of what's wrong with the institution of higher education.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Bonam

Activity: 420

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 03:55:35 PM

Not sure why the victims in question would go to the university rather than to the police. Rape is (obviously) a serious crime and should be reported to the appropriate authorities, not to university administrators.
Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 04:58:26 PM

University police forces should only be in charge of apprehending plagiarists, food fight instigators, and perhaps bike thieves. Matters of assault should be handled by real police forces who use real court rooms. Rapists shouldn't be expelled. They should be incarcerated.
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 05:19:45 PM

As a parent, I appreciate the media coverage this performance art is getting. Parents need to get involved in this issue. Learning about how sexual assault is handled at schools under consideration is a way to start putting pressure on the administrations. www.keephersafe.org is helping harness the purchasing power of parents to make campuses safe for women by providing guidance with a Parent Tool Kit. This kind of widely promoted action is truly helpful.

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 06:34:52 PM

Rapists should be shot in self-defense. Good for rapists and other violent criminals, most colleges and universities ban self-defense.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 07:49:52 PM

I don't understand why any crime isn't handled by the local police. The university can do what it wants with a student who's accused of or found guilty of a crime. But the crime itself should be handled by the police, not the university.

They clearly have way too much power in the U.S, I'll need to double check this but I'm pretty sure in the UK if something like this happened the police would tell the universities to go fuck themselves and hand over any evidence they have, even institutions like the BBC haven't been safe because they've recently uncovered lots of paedophile cases in the organisation.
koshgel
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 08:10:13 PM

Ridiculous how the guy has raped multiple women but he still remains on campus with no disciplinary action taken against him. I could not stand to be on the same campus as someone who violated me like that. It would take all my willpower to not stab that fucker in the face.

As for carrying around the mattress, anything that helps gain exposure to what happened will help prevent future sexual assaults.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 09:36:58 PM

One thing I've noticed when it comes to schools is that teachers only care about how their childrens' grades look and how the government sees their schools, doesn't matter what age they're teaching, I think people are right in that they're likely trying to cover it up instead of come clean because they're worried about reputation, unfortunately this kind of thing isn't new, I remember hearing awhile back about child molestation cases and such in the U.S too or something similar.
peeveepee

Activity: 211

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 03:32:50 AM

One thing I've noticed when it comes to schools is that teachers only care about how their childrens' grades look and how the government sees their schools, doesn't matter what age they're teaching, I think people are right in that they're likely trying to cover it up instead of come clean because they're worried about reputation, unfortunately this kind of thing isn't new, I remember hearing awhile back about child molestation cases and such in the U.S too or something similar.

Too much money is at stake for tarnishing the university reputation. Reason why the university will do everything in its power to dismiss and settle any allegation related to rape.
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 02:40:25 PM

The first thing I thought about when reading the first phrases of the article was something like ....Is she carrying that mattress around to make the job easier for the rapist next time? Or to get raped comfortably in the yard or on the hallways ?

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
marcoman22

Activity: 350

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 02:57:42 PM

university need to do strict action or otherwise it will put a bad name.
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 03:54:12 PM

Rapists should be executed, instead of carrying a mattress, she should buy a gun and shoot the asshole in his fkin head!!  Angry

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 07:18:07 PM

Rapists should be executed, instead of carrying a mattress, she should buy a gun and shoot the asshole in his fkin head!!  Angry

Good for rapists and other violent criminals, most colleges and universities ban self-defense.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
EternalWingsofGod

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 09:47:39 PM

I'll be honest I thought it was a protest about the lack of places to relax and wind down at universities
Seats everywhere but nowhere to lay down and take a nap so the mattress would make perfect sense ^^
From the Article headline here lol

After reading it guess univeristies have their perks lol...

herebittybittybitty

Activity: 154

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 04:08:11 AM

Good for her... I support her protest and I hope the guy is held accountable.
itsAj

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 05:02:12 AM

Most universities have their own campus police that have jurisdiction over the campus. I believe that local police also have jurisdiction but rarely get involved. The school has a conflict of interest of wanting to make it look like as few sexual assaults (and rapes) happen as possible to give the appearance of the campus being safe to attract more students (and federal funds that are based on enrollment).
umair127

Activity: 378

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 10:44:49 AM

An even better piece would be her wearing a sign around her neck with the persons name and picture, saying the guy raped her, that way everyone knows who the person is, if the school isn’t going to do anything she might as well let everyone know who did it .

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: