Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 07:00:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: It's about time to turn off PoW mining  (Read 39781 times)
fabiola!

Activity: 714
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 11:07:20 PM

price decreasing and difficulty increasing

this is the world turned over

255 today...could it get any lower tomorrow?
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 03:33:33 AM

Some state-owned chinese companies are using bitcoin farms to convert their free electricity into fiat money  Grin

kokojie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 02:11:55 PM

Some state-owned chinese companies are using bitcoin farms to convert their free electricity into fiat money  Grin

That's exactly the problem with PoW, it's value extracted from current Bitcoin holders, just by expending electricity. Basically current Bitcoin holders is spending $500k dollar per day, just to buy electricity that is useless, wasted and unneeded.  Wasteful PoW mining can be easily replaced with a Proof of Stake system.

You don't let some miner from China control your personal finance, why let miners control your Bitcoin network? Bitcoin stakeholders should be the controller of Bitcoin network, not some random profit crazy mining farm from China.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
fonenumba

Activity: 411
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 09:48:09 PM

Some state-owned chinese companies are using bitcoin farms to convert their free electricity into fiat money  Grin

That's exactly the problem with PoW, it's value extracted from current Bitcoin holders, just by expending electricity. Basically current Bitcoin holders is spending $500k dollar per day, just to buy electricity that is useless, wasted and unneeded.  Wasteful PoW mining can be easily replaced with a Proof of Stake system.

You don't let some miner from China control your personal finance, why let miners control your Bitcoin network? Bitcoin stakeholders should be the controller of Bitcoin network, not some random profit crazy mining farm from China.
You are incorrect. The profit seeking mining farm (with free electricity) has an incentive to maintain the long term security of the network because if the network is not secure then the mining farm will lose out on their investment on their mining equipment. If someone were to try to attack a PoS coin then they would be able to sell their PoS coin before anyone would even notice it was atacked
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 11:35:26 PM

30 pages of the same arguments on both sides...

its all been said, time to let the thread die.

Oscilson

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 06:32:04 PM

I use PoW mining to warm my house.
kokojie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 04:17:47 AM

Then you only mine in winter? good luck with ROI on your hardware.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
thriftshopping

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 11:20:31 PM

it would be possible to mine with generally obsolete hardware that is very cheap that double as both a space heater and a miner.

It would also be possible that he lives in a very cold part of the world where it is close year round so he would not need to turn off his miners in the "summer"
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 03:29:15 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2015, 12:02:29 PM by phillipsjk

it would be possible to mine with generally obsolete hardware that is very cheap that double as both a space heater and a miner.

It would also be possible that he lives in a very cold part of the world where it is close year round so he would not need to turn off his miners in the "summer"

I live 55° North. Electric heat is not used much due to the cost. Mostly natural gas is used (which has lower transmission losses).

I also figured out that even space-heaters should be within one generation or so. That way you get more hashing/watt.

Edit: That said, I did spin up an 80-100W "space heater" when it got cold. I earned like $1 worth of Freicoin while using only about $10 worth of electricity ("free" power, but don't want to abuse it).

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Baitty

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 12:26:35 PM

Which is more expensive overall compared to profit?

Currently held as collateral by monbux
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 12:44:38 PM

After seeing the price crash I'm ready to turn into a believer in this and what benefit it would bring. What I mean is about giving everybody a chance... rather than miners we could have something like a cpu driven concept, where we can actually let anybody to leave their computers on and contribute towards the hash rate.

So indirectly you are rewarding common people, main thing is to earn interest by holding on to the coin. I'm sure that could mean something.

achimsmile
Legendary

Activity: 1225
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 12:58:41 PM

rather than miners we could have something like a cpu driven concept, where we can actually let anybody to leave their computers on and contribute towards the hash rate.

That is how PoS works (except the hashrate part).

You have to leave your CPU running in order to generate a block. And it's 100% ASIC resistant   Smiley
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 07:01:32 PM

And it's 100% ASIC resistant   Smiley

What about an ASIC with 1000 dumbass ARM cores that only run a trimmed down linux plus wallet?

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
achimsmile
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 07:28:10 PM

And it's 100% ASIC resistant   Smiley

What about an ASIC with 1000 dumbass ARM cores that only run a trimmed down linux plus wallet?

and every core with its own ip address?
Are you hinting at the "thousands of nodes with fake blockchain attack"?
if so: still resistant.

The beauty of PoS is: It does not matter how many nodes you have with fake blockchain, if my node sees at least one other peer with a blockchain with higher cumulative difficulty, it's all good.
VectorChief

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 07:33:47 PM
Last edit: February 08, 2015, 10:08:42 AM by VectorChief

After seeing the price crash I'm ready to turn into a believer in this and what benefit it would bring. What I mean is about giving everybody a chance... rather than miners we could have something like a cpu driven concept, where we can actually let anybody to leave their computers on and contribute towards the hash rate.

So indirectly you are rewarding common people, main thing is to earn interest by holding on to the coin. I'm sure that could mean something.

PoW mining is the only way to keep the money system running without a permanent overseeing authority, as miners get into their positions by being better than others, rather than by decree like in fiat or PoS.

But you are always given a choice.
Sometimes, you need to choose what is easy, to learn how to choose what is right.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 07:38:19 PM

POS has one fundamental flaw. Stake does not equal exposure as pirateat40 proved back in 2011 / 2012 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50822.0. Show me a POS system that can deal with pirate.

Edit: Without the help of the US Government.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
achimsmile
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 07:42:44 PM

POS has one fundamental flaw. Stake does not equal exposure as pirateat40 proved back in 2011 / 2012 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50822.0. Show me a POS system that can deal with pirate.

Could you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean.
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 07:45:42 PM

Could you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean.

Could you describe attack scenario in details? After reproducing it in simulation we would like to pay you pretty good bounty Smiley

P.S. Good description on practical impossibility of N@S by JordanLee http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2976.msg27303#msg27303

I will elaborate on the idea against nxt.
But that link you sent regarding PPC is not about practical impossibility of N@S. It's only about practical impossiblity of the particular attack that the writer describes. This was proven by my attack on APEX. Also, it has some flaws:
"They must wait 90 days to get another optimal chance to attack after a failed attempt"
is wrong, if you mine your chain in private and publish it only when it has accumulated more work than the main chain then you can attempt this after every block.
"If you buy 1% of Peercoins and put them all in the same output (similar to an address), you might have about a 3% chance of finding the next block."
is also wrong: 1% gives you about 20% chance of a block. 5% guarantees success.

So it I understand this correctly an attacker could borrow rather than buy say 10% of the target POS coin. This could be done for example using a pirateat40 type scheme. Sell half of the borrowed POS coins short, and use the remaining 5% of the borrowed coins to launch the attack. This would cause the price of the coin to collapse creating massive profits for our short seller / attacker. There is some real Bitcoin history here that is a must for anyone either attacking or defending a POS coin. Here is a good place to start. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50822.0. pirateat40 failed with Bitcoin but Bitcoin is POW! I can just imagine what would have happened to Bitcoin if pirateat40 could have used the borrowed XBT to launch an attack on the Bitcoin blockchain. This would indeed have been the case if Bitcoin had been POS. 

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=897488.msg10178740#msg10178740

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
achimsmile
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 07:48:30 PM

PoW mining is the only way to keep the money system running without a permanent overseeing authority, as miners get into their positions by being better than others, rather than by decree like in fiat or PoS.

Either you mean that PoS systems don't run (which I doubt),
or you mean that PoS systems are controlled by a permanent overseeing authority.
So, who is this authority?
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 07:50:23 PM

I would say that POS requires a centralized authority to prevent collapse.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: