Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:48:49 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OK I'm curious...What is an unlincensed money transfer anyway?  (Read 1532 times)
commandrix (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 06:11:54 PM

You might have heard by now that the people facing trial in the Silk Road case are pleading guilty to charges that include unlicensed currency transfers. I'm curious about how currency transfers become "licensed" and whether most Bitcoin transactions could count as "unlicensed."
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 06:13:47 PM

You might have heard by now that the people facing trial in the Silk Road case are pleading guilty to charges that include unlicensed currency transfers. I'm curious about how currency transfers become "licensed" and whether most Bitcoin transactions could count as "unlicensed."

It seems to me authorities like bitcoin to be money in some situations and not in others. When it suits them basically.

iluvpie60

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 11:35:36 PM

it means you do not have any license to handle money. you know how you need a fishing/hunting/driving license? it works the same way with many other things. a license is just a registration or record of something that has been granted to you by someone. it doesnt really have anything to do with anything in some cases, but in this case they want to know who you are and want to make sure you are not scamming people, so they require a license. also there are many fraud/corruption charges and moving money around outside the law is punishable(something the majority of people agree on and that is why it is law).

so next time someone gets their panties up i a wad about something remember that the majority kept it that way, bitcoiners are not a majority thus need a loud voice. thankfulyl the U.S.A is a republic where even the smallest group(1 person) get a voice, althought it might not be as effective as a larger voice.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3261

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 12:41:47 AM

Nearly all the states in the U.S. require a person to obtain a license before acting as a "money transmitter".

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 01:03:15 AM

You need a license for most states to run a business where you transfer money from person to person or place to place. And you must register with the federal government.  Oh, and the state licenses cost money. Lots of money in some cases...one needs >$1M to get started.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 04:13:03 AM

And you must register with the federal government.  Oh, and the state licenses cost money. Lots of money in some cases...one needs >$1M to get started.
Laws designed to protect the monopoly of the massively profitable banking cartel. Don't fuck with the banksters, cause they own this country.

Until Bitcoin renders them obsolete, anyway.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 04:21:37 AM

Im not sure the exact amount but I believe there is an exact number per year, that if you exceed it in transferring funds (as a business), you need to be licensed as a money transmitter. It all stems back to money laundering.
master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 04:37:43 AM

it means you do not have any license to handle money. you know how you need a fishing/hunting/driving license? it works the same way with many other things. a license is just a registration or record of something that has been granted to you by someone. it doesnt really have anything to do with anything in some cases, but in this case they want to know who you are and want to make sure you are not scamming people, so they require a license. also there are many fraud/corruption charges and moving money around outside the law is punishable(something the majority of people agree on and that is why it is law).

so next time someone gets their panties up i a wad about something remember that the majority kept it that way, bitcoiners are not a majority thus need a loud voice. thankfulyl the U.S.A is a republic where even the smallest group(1 person) get a voice, althought it might not be as effective as a larger voice.

It is not so much "handling" money but is more sending money on behalf of other people. For example you do not need any kind of license to have $100,000 in cash in your home or business. However if you were to take some amount of money from a customer and agree to give that money to someone else then you would likely be considered a money transmitter.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
Altminer79

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 05:11:50 PM

Just like you can't drive without having a driving license,you aren't allowed to transact with people's money without having certain authority from your nation/state.
commandrix (OP)

Activity: 798

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 05:34:54 PM

Thanks for clarifying. Slight follow-up question, if in the future I decide to provide escrow services (Disclaimer: I have no plans to do so), does that make me a money transmitter?
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 05:45:09 PM

Thanks for clarifying. Slight follow-up question, if in the future I decide to provide escrow services (Disclaimer: I have no plans to do so), does that make me a money transmitter?

It probably does, but the laws vary depending on where you and your customers are. You need to look them up.

For example, in California: http://www.dbo.ca.gov/Licensees/money_transmitters/

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Mightycoin

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 06:11:09 PM

When you transfer money without paying a cut to the government it mean's unlicensed Cheesy
dankkk

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 07:20:25 PM

It probably does, but the laws vary depending on where you and your customers are. You need to look them up.

I would disagree unless fiat is involved. In order to potentially be a money transmitter you need to either send or receive money (cash fiat).

If you are only acting as escrow for bitcoin and goods/services then you would not be involving money in any way.
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 07:39:48 PM
Last edit: September 06, 2014, 07:56:41 PM by odolvlobo

I would disagree unless fiat is involved. In order to potentially be a money transmitter you need to either send or receive money (cash fiat).
If you are only acting as escrow for bitcoin and goods/services then you would not be involving money in any way.

I don't think your argument holds in California,

(m) "Monetary value" means a medium of exchange, whether or not redeemable in money.
(s) "Receiving money for transmission" or "money received for transmission" means receiving money or monetary value ...

or under U.S. federal law,

But U.S. District Judge Jed Rakoff rejected that argument, saying bitcoins "clearly qualifies as 'money' or 'funds,'" under dictionary definitions, a position supported by legislative history in interpreting the law.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: