Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:56:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Most Secure bitcoin wallet ?  (Read 36248 times)
pipola

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 09:24:59 PM

Been using blockchain.info for a few months with a few bitcoin stored if you use 2 factor authentication you should be fine
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tapout10

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 09:27:21 PM

Wallets are only as safe as you are. Blockchain.info is very safe providing you set up all the security features. Make sure you have 2-factor authentication set up at a minimum. 

Strange to see a global moderator advising this. anything which comes into contact  with online properties is vunerable. the way blockchain.info works its vunerable to rnb and man in the middle attacks and possibly a hostile take down which would mean people losing access to their private keys unless they export them which in itself means its being broadcasted to client side which effectivly opens it up for exploits although it is encryped of course
roadbits
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 10:27:45 PM

Try to stay away from hosted wallets, and definitely stay away from hosted wallets that don't give access to your keys (exchanges), other than using them as a stop-over. For saving larger amounts, use paper wallets or a Trezor instead.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2015, 10:55:58 PM

Try to stay away from hosted wallets, and definitely stay away from hosted wallets that don't give access to your keys (exchanges), other than using them as a stop-over. For saving larger amounts, use paper wallets or a Trezor instead.
If you don't have the private key it is not a wallet.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
malphite

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2015, 11:04:12 PM

i use btc qt, wheres mine located? I setup a password though, is that the private key?

i been using it for 1 year now, havent had issues.. so im sure im still secured.
smith coins

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 02, 2015, 10:57:13 AM

Here it goes the situation of coinbase they don't give you private key. Just login with user password and that's it.
ikydesu

Activity: 686

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2015, 05:45:58 PM

Been using blockchain.info for a few months with a few bitcoin stored if you use 2 factor authentication you should be fine

Really?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1143759.0
http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/38861/problems-with-blockchain-api

You should start to use cold wallet or desktop wallet.
nejibens

Activity: 672

View Profile
September 02, 2015, 09:31:46 PM

I use Coinbase wallet, i think it is secure wallet

but there without doubt other secured wallet
dukeneptun
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
September 02, 2015, 09:40:47 PM

Coinbase is not wallet, it's exchange. You don't own private keys.
If you don't know yet, read about exchange hacks/runaways: Mt.gox, Vircurex, inputs.io etc.
nejibens

Activity: 672

View Profile
September 02, 2015, 09:54:52 PM

Coinbase is not wallet, it's exchange. You don't own private keys.
If you don't know yet, read about exchange hacks/runaways: Mt.gox, Vircurex, inputs.io etc.

I mean we can use it as wallet receive and send Bitcoin.

Thanks for the info
dukeneptun
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2015, 09:57:28 PM

I mean we can use it as wallet receive and send Bitcoin.

Thanks for the info

Yes, you can use exchange deposit addresses for receiving Bitcoin but that's not OP ask for. He's asking about secure wallet, we can't talk about exchanges when a 3rd party site provide our coins security.
Yerm

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 02, 2015, 09:59:29 PM

im currently using the copay wallet. it gave me a extended private key.
if i lost access to copay and i wanted to sweep my funds, how do i do that with the extended private key?
dukeneptun
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2015, 10:08:58 PM

if i lost access to copay and i wanted to sweep my funds, how do i do that with the extended private key?

You can manually import your private keys to Bitcoin Core.
If you don't know how to do that check this link: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Help:How_to_import_private_keys_in_Bitcoin_Core_0.7%2B
Yerm

Activity: 126

View Profile
September 02, 2015, 10:10:50 PM

You can manually import your private keys to Bitcoin Core.
If you don't know how to do that check this link: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Help:How_to_import_private_keys_in_Bitcoin_Core_0.7%2B
this key isnt a WIF private key though, its an extended private key. idk much about how this works.but i think extended private keys are for HD wallets.
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2015, 10:11:40 PM

An extended private key must be imported into a deterministic wallet.

Trezor, Wallet32, etc.

Bitcoin core is not a deterministic wallet.

Did you really get an extended private key or is it the list of seed words?

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
dukeneptun
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2015, 10:12:22 PM

this key isnt a WIF private key though, its a extended private key. idk much about how this works.but i think extended private keys are for HD wallets.

You can try Multibit HD then, it has import private key feature too. Looks like I was wrong about extended private keys.
I don't know about copay wallet though. I suggest you to change your wallet to Bitcoin Core, Multibit or Electrum.
tommorisonwebdesign

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2015, 11:58:03 PM

Xapo is a pretty secure Bitcoin wallet. It uses the "cold-storage" method of storing your coins, making it difficult for a hacker to steal your coins. You could also get a Tezor, but those are more expensive.

Signatures? How about learning a skill... I don't care either way. Everybody has to make a living somehow.
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2015, 01:02:55 AM

Your statement above is very concerning.  You said "it gave me a extended private key".  I have just started to research this wallet and it looks to be a very well thought out open source modern deterministic wallet.

I still like that the extended private key never leaves the Trezor and it is basically impossible to get it.  That is why I like the Trezor.

With access to the extended private key it is possible to steal all the Bitcoins from ALL of your Bitcoin addresses in all of your accounts you have ever created or will ever create from that extended key. 

Losing control of an extended private key is much worse than losing control of a single private key.

I do not know where you can import an extended private key directly.  I have taken the seed words from the Trezor and imported them into other deterministic wallets.  When you create a copay wallet I would expect it to give you the seed word list so you can import that into other deterministic wallets, but it sounds like they do not do that.

Since that is what they gave you I expect you can import it into another copay wallet if you lose your phone.

I plan to download the copay wallet and play with it a bit.  It looks like it may be something pretty sweet.

mdgreasyjohn

Activity: 124

cancer sucks

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 01:46:38 AM

i like the trezor idea but here is my thing . right now i use coinbase , blockchain , and block.io . i really only go to faucets . i am not really old but definitely not  a youngun say i put my btc in a trezor for my grand babies and no one checks on it for 5 or 10 years would it still be accessable ?
addy boy

Activity: 182

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 08:35:23 AM

blockchain with a 2fa security and bitcoin core or bitcoin qt these both are the strongest,safest,and most efficient wallets till now
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: