Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:49:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  
Author Topic: satoshin@gmx.com is compromised  (Read 152228 times)
God

Activity: 169
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 08:10:26 AM

Maybe I missed it, but has theymos revealed anything about the header information of the mail he received from the hacker?

I'm sure the hacker has used VPN or Tor, however, theymos should be able to confirm/deny this. As you see on the screenshot, the gmx frontend is in English - so if the hacker hasn't used a proxy of any kind, he most probably is located in the US (last time i used gmx, the language was adapting to the location of the IP).

Also: If theymos could go through the headers of some old SN-mails, he also should be able to confirm/deny that SN used Tor or a VPN - or nothing at all to hide his IP. This could be crucial in finding out if the hacker's claim regarding SN's IP is legit. On the other hand: I can not think about any way the hacker could see SN's IP unless SN sent a mail to himself and therefore not using his normal safety settings.

Or - what I can not exclude - IP doesn't mean what I think it means...

Does gmx even include proper headers in the emails? many webmails don't and if so there's no way to track the mail through the supplied sender IP.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coinsy.org

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 08:11:48 AM

Maybe I missed it, but has theymos revealed anything about the header information of the mail he received from the hacker?

I'm sure the hacker has used VPN or Tor, however, theymos should be able to confirm/deny this. As you see on the screenshot, the gmx frontend is in English - so if the hacker hasn't used a proxy of any kind, he most probably is located in the US (last time i used gmx, the language was adapting to the location of the IP).

Also: If theymos could go through the headers of some old SN-mails, he also should be able to confirm/deny that SN used Tor or a VPN - or nothing at all to hide his IP. This could be crucial in finding out if the hacker's claim regarding SN's IP is legit. On the other hand: I can not think about any way the hacker could see SN's IP unless SN sent a mail to himself and therefore not using his normal safety settings.

Or - what I can not exclude - IP doesn't mean what I think it means...
There is no way for this hacker to obtain IP information by hacking into an email account. This part is a complete lie. Everything else is probably true. If you use a proxy the best the headers will give is an x-forwarded-from. Whoop-Dee-Doo
God

Activity: 169

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 08:12:35 AM

We know that the account was compromised because they reset passwords on some websites. We also know that they account was never "deactivated". Most likely it's Satoshi's FPGA order. Just because you have lots of bitcoins doesn't mean you would buy 1000 FPGA's. Why would Satoshi want to mine many more Bitcoins when he owns 1,000,000 of them? He was just tinkering as a hobbyist.

There's no reason for him to use that email account for ordering, though. And by doing so giving out his details to a company, when he can so easily just use his normal and unrelated account.

Maybe he didn't want his "normal and unrelated account" to relate to Bitcoin mining in any way?

True, but giving out his name and address to a Bitcoin company is way worse. Maybe he came home drunk one night and thought it was a great idea to order some miners to play with Smiley

coinsy.org

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 08:14:08 AM

We know that the account was compromised because they reset passwords on some websites. We also know that they account was never "deactivated". Most likely it's Satoshi's FPGA order. Just because you have lots of bitcoins doesn't mean you would buy 1000 FPGA's. Why would Satoshi want to mine many more Bitcoins when he owns 1,000,000 of them? He was just tinkering as a hobbyist.

There's no reason for him to use that email account for ordering, though. And by doing so giving out his details to a company, when he can so easily just use his normal and unrelated account.

Maybe he didn't want his "normal and unrelated account" to relate to Bitcoin mining in any way?

The most plausible. Why would he "taint" his "real" identity by ordering Bitcoin related stuff to his real self? He HAD to order it to Satoshi to remain two unrelated individuals.
RealMalatesta
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1124

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 08:15:38 AM

Does gmx even include proper headers in the emails? many webmails don't and if so there's no way to track the mail through the supplied sender IP.

Yup, gmx does.
luckyluigi

Activity: 239

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 08:17:25 AM

Makes me curious... how does a hacker this dumb even manage to get access to Satoshi's email address in the first place?
RealMalatesta
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 08:18:14 AM

Makes me curious... how does a hacker this dumb even manage to get access to Satoshi's email address in the first place?

He may be good in hacking, but lacks all the rest...
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 08:19:04 AM

Holy shot this isawesome! Finally some news to get everyone panicking/excited (I'm just here admiring this news)
Waramp22

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 08:20:19 AM

Click the lost password button and try to guess his birthdate over and over until he gets it right. Apparently GMX warns you after 3 incorrect attempts but will actually let you keep trying without locking the account. The "hacker" probably tried every day for a weeks until he got it correct. The hacker has changed the lost password method to "enter your alternate email" so Satoshi cant log in again.

Scammed by Black Arrow? See the consumer complaint thread here -
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=681965.0
coinsy.org

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 08:20:29 AM

He claims to have hacked Satoshi's main account and that satoshin is only an alias. This indicates he already knew Satoshi's identity.
itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1075

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 08:20:34 AM

I wondered that myself. The only theory I have that some organization has access to a gmx.com as a whole, and is just provoking to get some reaction or more information.
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 08:21:06 AM

He may be good in hacking, but lacks all the rest...

He's just trolling and showing us what he is capable of. To be honest I would do the same if I managed to access one of the most important email addresses in the bitcoin world
RealMalatesta
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 08:26:43 AM

I wondered that myself. The only theory I have that some organization has access to a gmx.com as a whole, and is just provoking to get some reaction or more information.

In some countries, gmx is not working properly since more than a week. Gmx IS crappy, but it has never been this bad in the past couple of years. So yes, I agree that it could be possible that a bigger organisation could be behind it - organisation in the meaning of "computing power", not "brain power", i.e. some hackers who have some technical resources.

On the other hand: The way the hacker(s) act is plain dumb. What kind of reactions could they wait for? Maybe they tried several things in the past and everything failed. So they try to cash out now.

I remember about a year ago, there were some hackers in a forum claiming that they found a way to compromise the official wallet for mining to their address. If they were the same, and they didn't succeed, they may be at a point now where they see that the account is useless and the only way to cash out is to "sell" the "identity".

Nothing of what was posted until now convinces me that they have SN's identity.
eahmadov

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 08:30:39 AM

is it possible that it is the  theymos's accounts that got hacked? Wink
RealMalatesta
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 08:32:26 AM

is it possible that it is the  theymos's accounts that got hacked? Wink

Even then: What would SN's IP tell us? The mails were rather old, and an IP doesn't give us a name and address (unless it is registered to a one-man-company).
CreationLayer

Activity: 101

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 08:35:49 AM

I doubt this will result in Satoshi being revealed, it's likely a core group of programmers.

However, it might be interesting to see a full record of his correspondence, assuming the image released isn't photoshopped.

You have to wonder only ~1000 emails surely over the course of Bitcoin the account would have received more messages.

coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 08:44:24 AM

Makes zero sense.

Its a miner intended to mine Bitcoin. Sold by someone who would know what that particular email address, name and the physical address would mean.

Credentials are obviously fake.
greenlion

Activity: 667
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 08:45:52 AM

The invoice screenshot is definitely fake.

CardReaderFactory is Black Arrow, and Missouri immediately makes you think of BFL.

That seems very deliberately chosen to push some buttons.
CreationLayer

Activity: 101

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 08:48:44 AM

The invoice screenshot is definitely fake.

CardReaderFactory is Black Arrow, and Missouri immediately makes you think of BFL.

That seems very deliberately chosen to push some buttons.

With their checkout if you checkout as a guest you can simply input any email you want...

gtraah

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 09:14:17 AM

LOL a cryptographer using an email address which can be accessed by brute forcing the DOB, then leaving all his personal details in old email invoices. Just seems to weird for someone fascinated with cryptography to allow this to happen unless he does not care if he is identified.

I dont know but, by not posting and not coming forward doesn't exactly mean your hiding, its possible that he just went onto other things, and decided I dont want to come forward and destroy my nice private quite life.

BUT

If he actually planned this and knew that he would disappear without a trace then this would be ridiculous for him to leave his email full of emails  and some that is actually showing his identity. I mean If I was going to make something which is succeeded could rock governments around the world why would I leave my email address on the front page of the white paper, knowing that through an email people could one day possibly track you down.

And lets just say , maybe he didn't think it will take off like it did and didn't think anything of leaving his email add on the whitepaper.
Ok so then in 2011 when it started to really take off and you start to think to yourself ok, I think its time for me to leave the scene The CIA is obviously interested, as Gav is going to do a presentation for them. <<< Why then at this point wouldn't Satoshi, close his email account down or atleast delete all emails in it. This just sounds too weird.

Its either an dump email and everything in it is obviously trash and he knows it will not lead to him.

Or email has been compromised a while back and the person was waiting for the right time using the email for various things.

Or Satoshi doesnt give a shit and did not purposely go in hiding, he just went onto other things. I mean if the CIA really wanted satoshi your telling me they couldnt do what this hacker did? lol They obviously have tried and failed OR just don't care about finding him.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  

Jump to: