Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:48:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Monero Economy Workgroup - The MEW Thread  (Read 37976 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Monero Economy Workgroup (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 11:11:57 PM
Last edit: February 14, 2015, 10:42:51 AM by Monero Economy Workgroup

Monero Economy Workgroup
IRC: #monero-mew
(members only)

Attention! Early access reductions stop on 16th of October! [Details]

This is the official thread for the Monero Economy Workgroup (MEW). Please post both your requests for registration as well as regular comment here.

The usual warnings about self-moderation apply here: self-moderation is not meant for censorship, but to encourage a better reading experience for all.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
KeyserSozeMC

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

I'm dying.

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 11:17:18 PM

Will keep an over eye here!

Hey, smexy. Don't waste your time. Time's precious.
AKWAnalytics

Activity: 52

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 01:25:12 PM

This is very interesting.  If done right, I think the bitcoin community could take a page from the Monero community in this regard, which would add ALOT of legitimacy imo.  Not to mention, it will make the Monero the coin and the community unique and attractive to outsiders.  Can't wait to hear more!
quanxinquanyi

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 01:28:28 PM

This is very interesting.  If done right, I think the bitcoin community could take a page from the Monero community in this regard, which would add ALOT of legitimacy imo.  Not to mention, it will make the Monero the coin and the community unique and attractive to outsiders.  Can't wait to hear more!
yes , let's keep on eyes
Hotmetal

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 01:31:50 PM

Where do i sign up?
Quicken

Activity: 280

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 01:48:51 PM

I will be joining - probably at level 6 initially. As for the name of the group, the only problem I have is that I already know the acronym quite well as standing for mortgage equity withdrawal. I suppose that's a generic problem with TLA's.
statdude
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 03:22:15 PM

Hey all! +1

Monero is an entirely new type of coin and needs it's community to be organized. 

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███████████████████████ █
█ █████     █ ▀██████████ █
█ █████     █   ▀████████ █
█ █████  ██ █     ▀██████ █

█ █████  ▀▀ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████ █
█ █████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █████ █
█ █████             █████ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
  Website
    Twitter
      Gitlab
      Reddit
    Telegram
Whitepaper
  ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███▄    ███████▀   ▄███ █
█ ████▌    █████▀    ████ █
█ ████▌     ███▀     ████ █
█ ████▌▐█    █▀ █    ████ █
█ ████▌▐██     ██    ████ █
█ ████▌▐███   ███    ████ █
█ ███▀  ▀███ ███▀    ▀███ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 05:31:35 PM

I like this because it seeks to be a representative voice of responsible Monero holders, without presuming some kind of authority beyond its legitimacy.  It is questionable how much it can achieve on those terms, but at the very least it will provide substantial support to core development, and serve to facilitate networking between holders, which is likely to speed the development of the economy in various small collaborative initiatives.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
iourzzz

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 05:39:29 PM

Sounds interesting
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 06:26:31 PM

the MEW is needed to have good exposure. I'll join for sure
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 07:04:35 PM

Hey all! +1

Monero is an entirely new type of coin and needs it's [sic] community to be organized

Perhaps we could contact Obama.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 07:41:26 PM

I am interested.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 10:46:37 PM

I am also among the first members of this.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2014, 10:48:12 PM

Well i am interested too.
giveBTCpls

Activity: 322

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 11:04:35 PM

I wish I could join, but my XMR stack is barely 50. Monero Poverty Crew checkin in.

dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 12:30:08 AM

I wish I could join, but my XMR stack is barely 50. Monero Poverty Crew checkin in.

Maybe you can create "one entity" and join as a collective of "Monero poors" Wink
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 07:11:13 AM

We'll need to make sure this is legitimate, is there word from the official Monero development team?
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 09:13:06 AM

We'll need to make sure this is legitimate, is there word from the official Monero development team?
On poloniex there was said to connect David Latapie for more details, so I am pretty sure this is legitimate.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 09:25:53 AM

It's legitimate in the sense that is it definitely engaged in communications with the core team, and I have no reason to doubt the commitment to donate 50% of membership fees to the core team for devleopment. Further some of the core team may also be members of this group, though such membership would be as individuals and not representing the core team (nor vice versa).

However, it is also an independent group with its own charter and direction, so you will need to use your own judgement as to whether it is something you want to support. The option to donate directly to the core team and decline to participate in this new group remains.

What is the relation of MEW and the core team?
Core team exists by their own right, chooses their members, and they have defined their role is to develop the Monero software.

MEW exists as a voluntary group of people who own XMR, and is bound to accept more members based on this criterion. Because the core team members also own XMR, they are eligible and welcome to join MEW, and some have been interested in doing so.

MEW will concentrate on the peripheral/economic aspects of the coin infrastructure, and the people in the community, leaving the core team more time and resources to concentrate on the development. MEW will also support the donation address.

Shouldnt the devs decide the priorities? I mean they are the once who must donate their time to implement features.
The core team retains complete control with how to develop the coin, Monero (XMR). The role of MEW is to give them valuable information on the community's wishes, but we cannot force even our own members to do anything, much less the devs who - as a collective - are not even members. In a similar way we may issue suggestions to whomever, but they are not bound to follow the suggestions, and we will employ great care to not meddle in others' affairs, and also expect nobody to tell us how we should make use of our XMR privacy coin.
Monero Economy Workgroup (OP)

Activity: 33

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 10:18:21 AM

On poloniex there was said to connect David Latapie for more details, so I am pretty sure this is legitimate.

The word "legitimacy" can mean many things. What is happening with MEW, is that the group claims to be a legitimate representation of the users of Monero (at least to a degree), based on:

1. The group members have delegated their right to express their opinions as Monero holders, to the community vote of the MEW*;

2. Joining the group is available for all as much as is practical, and the cost (if any) to join the voting body of the group is equal;

3. The group is being administered equally so that influence in the group corresponds to the ownership of XMR, and club bias does not occur;

4. Rather high percentage of all moneros outstanding are owned by the people in the group;

5. A meaningful percentage of individuals using Monero have a way to influence the group's action.

It is NOT derived from the following:

-1. rpietila or David Latapie or anyone accepts/supports it (even though they do, and are actually soon becoming founding members)

-2. the core dev team supports it (even though they probably do, at least no core dev has been specifically against MEW so far)

-3. anything else.

The criteria for legitimacy depend on what we claim to represent. Actually we believe that everyone pretty much represents himself, and the legitimacy we claim (as a group, a unity) is very small. We can only represent those members that have voted in a particular matter. (As a comparison, national parliaments claim overarching powers towards everyone, derived from much smaller actual legitimacy than MEW.)

If we are not mistaken, the core team's legitimacy statement is: "we have taken this coin to develop it, and we do what we want, and if you don't like it, you are free to sell your coins, or make a fork". There is no reason for us to obtain their blessing, as our legitimacy is based on how well we represent Monero users, and not developers. Likewise they need no blessing from us, because they exist on their own right and claim no legitimacy except over the development of the current main chain of Monero software.

* continues: "where they can express those opinions and vote for them, so that they count as much percentagewise, but are counted together with like opinions, so they have a bigger influence in the real life"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  All
  Print  

Jump to: