Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:51:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Monero Economy Workgroup - The MEW Thread  (Read 37977 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Monero Economy Workgroup (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 11:36:08 AM

To answer some other questions:

- For those willing to sign up: just PM us.
- The membership fee for entry level for the moment is 50 XMR (corresponding to a notional holding of 5000 XMR which does not need to be proven and is not even morally required).
- Lower entry points will probably be opened as Monero increases in valuation; so later won't be cheaper (in term of BTC or fiat valuation).
- There is no plan at the moment for allowing people inside access without voting power (an "observer" status).. Nothing is set in stone, though.
- There are lots of plans to make useful services for all Monero users so definitely MEW will benefit everyone in a way or another.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Njall

Activity: 14

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 12:11:25 PM

I wish I could join, but my XMR stack is barely 50. Monero Poverty Crew checkin in.

Maybe you can create "one entity" and join as a collective of "Monero poors" Wink

I'm in with that, too. Just I have no social reputation nor much Monero. My CPU lacks AES-NI
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2014, 12:29:49 PM

I wish I could join, but my XMR stack is barely 50. Monero Poverty Crew checkin in.

Maybe you can create "one entity" and join as a collective of "Monero poors" Wink

I'm in with that, too. Just I have no social reputation nor much Monero. My CPU lacks AES-NI
It is too late to mine monero on your computer. Even at the end of April, my future teammates already encouraged me to just buy it, it was cheaper.

The "Monero poors" idea may be just tongue-in-cheek or not from you both, I don't know. But the idea behind it is interesting to consider (not necessarily to accept). AFAIK, "collective of small shareholders" are pretty common in large corporations, no?

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
Quicken

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 11, 2014, 12:38:55 PM

It is too late to mine monero on your computer. Even at the end of April, my future teammates already encouraged me to just buy it, it was cheaper.

I think that depends. I am mining on my PC on the basis not of current value but of potential future value.

It is true that only a small fraction of my holdings have been gained through mining however.
infofront
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 04:31:20 AM

How transparent will MEW be to non-members? Will meeting minutes/logs and such be published for public viewing?
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 07:33:46 AM

How transparent will MEW be to non-members? Will meeting minutes/logs and such be published for public viewing?

I think/hope MEW aims for maximum impact and usefulness. So if there is anything that could be useful for the general public, it will be published. The meetings are not the primary idea though. The focus is on doing things.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
varun555

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 09:05:16 AM

Since subsitutions for 'MEW' name was asked, here are my submissions:

MONERO ECONOMIC CLUB   (MEC)  : since this enterprise has all the trappings of a club.......
MONERO ECONOMIC CABAL (MEC)  : 'cabal' may have some negative social connotations but the positive ones are rather fitting here imo.........
THE MONERO CLUB             (TMC)  : unambiguous, short &sweet. The 'THE' may signify this very enterprise, and none else, future or past.......
THE MONERO GUILD           (TMG)  : 'guild' aptly encapsulates your motives and aspirations of the enterprise  imho..........
Hotmetal

Activity: 378

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 09:07:43 AM

I think/hope MEW aims for maximum impact and usefulness. So if there is anything that could be useful for the general public, it will be published. The meetings are not the primary idea though. The focus is on doing things.

MEW needs its own dedicated site. A cat logo is needed..
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 09:20:13 AM

MONERO ECONOMIC CLUB   (MEC)  : since this enterprise has all the trappings of a club.......
MONERO ECONOMIC CABAL (MEC)  : 'cabal' may have some negative social connotations but the positive ones are rather fitting here imo.........
THE MONERO CLUB             (TMC)  : unambiguous, short &sweet. The 'THE' may signify this very enterprise, and none else, future or past.......
THE MONERO GUILD           (TMG)  : 'guild' aptly encapsulates your motives and aspirations of the enterprise  imho..........

Thank you!

I have proposed the current name Monero Economy Workgroup (MEW). As we remember from the OP, it has a twofold purpose, to be the means for determining the community opinion, and the platform for those interested in developing things.

The current name is mainly describing the latter, not the former. Your suggestions are taking this even further, which may not be good. Outsiders should, if possible, be able to see both the aspects of the group from the name already.

The MEW is an inclusive, not exclusive group. Club/Guild has a connotation of exclusiveness. MEW is bound to accept everyone to be members, because the legitimacy of our vote is dependent on the ability for every holder to join us, otherwise it would be "just a club" voting things.

The voting aspect could be conveyed by "Parliament" or similar. "Council", even "Consortium" have been proposed. "Foundation" is often used but was rejected in yesterday's meeting.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
myagui
Legendary

Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 09:39:51 AM

I would like to suggest:
Monero Community Workgroup.

To me this makes the most sense if this effort is 1st and foremost a community initiative, and retains that it is a workgroup as the focus is to engage in activities & projects that can push Monero adoption forward.

It would be great at some point if the group would clarify on the possibility that was raised earlier, of multiple small holders participating as a single entity. I could entertain a collection of interested people and draft out some communication workflow to facilitate the creation of the single entity, but only if inclusion into the larger group is generally expected/anticipated.

~ Myagui

varun555

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 09:46:12 AM

I would like to suggest:
Monero Community Workgroup.

To me this makes the most sense if this effort is 1st and foremost a community initiative, and retains that it is a workgroup as the focus is to engage in activities & projects that can push Monero adoption forward.

It would be great at some point if the group would clarify on the possibility that was raised earlier, of multiple small holders participating as a single entity. I could entertain a collection of interested people and draft out some communication workflow to facilitate the creation of the single entity, but only if inclusion into the larger group is generally expected/anticipated.

~ Myagui
+1
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 10:17:34 AM
Last edit: September 12, 2014, 11:13:55 AM by rpietila

We are already discussing possibilities for every interested XMR holder regardless of size, to be part of it directly. The challenges here are technical. The idea is definitely not to draw borderlines in the middle of the community, but the necessary tech to administer the huge number of members is just yet not there.

That would allow a fluid way for vote aggregation by proxy, so that smaller holders would delegate their votepower directly to the holders they trust, and some members might set up "mini-parliaments" by being open in what they represent, and professional in their communication, in order to gather a large amount of votepower, and thus justify spending time on the things.

The current void of representative democracy is that one vote does not count. The only way to affect things is to bribe/"lobby" a career politician that speaks lies to people before the election to get elected, and then does what you have paid him for. This has been rethought in MEW.

varun555

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 10:25:57 AM

MONERO ECONOMIC CLUB   (MEC)  : since this enterprise has all the trappings of a club.......
MONERO ECONOMIC CABAL (MEC)  : 'cabal' may have some negative social connotations but the positive ones are rather fitting here imo.........
THE MONERO CLUB             (TMC)  : unambiguous, short &sweet. The 'THE' may signify this very enterprise, and none else, future or past.......
THE MONERO GUILD           (TMG)  : 'guild' aptly encapsulates your motives and aspirations of the enterprise  imho..........

Thank you!

I have proposed the current name Monero Economy Workgroup (MEW). As we remember from the OP, it has a twofold purpose, to be the means for determining the community opinion, and the platform for those interested in developing things.

The current name is mainly describing the latter, not the former. Your suggestions are taking this even further, which may not be good. Outsiders should, if possible, be able to see both the aspects of the group from the name already.

The MEW is an inclusive, not exclusive group. Club/Guild has a connotation of exclusiveness. MEW is bound to accept everyone to be members, because the legitimacy of our vote is dependent on the ability for every holder to join us, otherwise it would be "just a club" voting things.

The voting aspect could be conveyed by "Parliament" or similar. "Council", even "Consortium" have been proposed. "Foundation" is often used but was rejected in yesterday's meeting.
ENRICH MONERO INITIATIVE (EMI) ?
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 10:57:50 AM

I like "MEW", it's catchy and memorable.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 11:08:20 AM

How can I join in?
digicoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 12:22:44 PM

MEW sucks. MEOW is much better

Quicken

Activity: 280

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 01:34:34 PM

MEW sucks. MEOW is much better

Heck no. Spare us the 'cute' cat/kitten images. Far too many of those on the internet already.
infofront
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 02:49:21 PM

This sounds like a good idea, but I hope the core dev team can actually maintain complete independence from MEW.

There have been several instances in the altcoin world of devs getting cozy with outside organizations or businesses to the point where the boundary between the two gets really blurry. Inevitably, the whole thing ends up being an elaborate scam by the outside group, or a plot to gain control over a coin exclusively for personal gain.

For an example of what I have in mind, see the Worldcoin - Scharmbeck debacle.
GaryBirch

Activity: 21

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 03:21:23 PM

If I could make a naming suggestion. the Monero Economy Workgroup - MEW may express the purpose of this new community, but perhaps "Monero Economic Collaborative(Collaboration)" speaks more to the collaborative nature and sentiment of the group. And gets away from the cat/MEW(Meow) type of ridicules presenting a bit more professional face to the group.

Just my opinion, but my advertising/marketing experience tells me we don't need to feed those who would attack us with any more ammo no matter how minor, I've already seen a lot of jokes about it.

I hope this proves of some value to the group and wish the best for all!
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 03:37:09 PM

There have been several instances in the altcoin world of devs getting cozy with outside organizations or businesses to the point where the boundary between the two gets really blurry. Inevitably, the whole thing ends up being an elaborate scam by the outside group, or a plot to gain control over a coin exclusively for personal gain.

For an example of what I have in mind, see the Worldcoin - Scharmbeck debacle.

Since you mentioned several instances, please list the cases/coins, and link the relevant threads, please.

I dare to say that there is no inevitability, especially when the "outside" group is constructed as an open community like MEW is.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: