Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 06:12:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Silkroad 2.0 under attack....again  (Read 6040 times)
hayabusa911 (OP)

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 12:26:59 PM

Why do you think they will be stolen? Any vulnerability that can be used for such purpose, like the maleability stuff?

You say you have the feeling, but gave no evidence of how it might happens?

I have lost more coins than you will ever own! Period.
This is one response to Defcons last post...

Defcon,

I do not think it was appropriate of you to ignore every single vendors post confirming that all our withdrawls are not working, avoiding the issue entirely, and instead discussing something of much less importance: Market downtime.

You should be responding to the half a dozen + threads in the vendor roundtable asking just what the hell is going on.

Instead, you make a generic post in the public forum, ignoring all of our very serious questions. Not a very good way to show support to the people who make this place possible.

Is the money safe or not?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hayabusa911 (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 12:39:32 PM

12+ hours and no response from Defcon...
Vendors are already moving to Evolution and Agora. The ship is going down!!!
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6105

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 12:44:35 PM

Anyone please , what is this Silkroad thing ?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 12:55:43 PM

Anyone please , what is this Silkroad thing ?

What were the google/ddg/wikipedia searches you tried?
picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 12:56:14 PM

Execuse my ignorance , but what is Silkroad ? O_O  Cry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silk_Road_%28marketplace%29

How big is silkroad 2?
hayabusa911 (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2014, 01:21:27 PM

FORUM STATS for the silkroad community. I would say probably less than a quarter of SR members are on the forums but who knows.

794376 Posts in 41569 Topics by 60805 Members. Latest Member: lokiau
Latest Post: "Re: norway.." ( Today at 01:13:04 pm )
View the most recent posts on the forum.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2014, 03:10:01 PM

i guess the police or the fbi are attacking them. but there is not only silk road 2.0 , there are more.

igl00

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2014, 03:12:53 AM

they cannot win this in the long term

Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 03:30:53 AM

the silk road bitcoin sold for $900 double the market value !

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
zorke

Activity: 238

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 03:57:06 AM

Is it really possible to steal coins from SR 2.0? They had removed the escrow system many months ago, and replaced it with the multi-sig wallet system. If SR 2.0 does not hold Bitcoins of its users anymore, how it is possible to steal the coins from that site?

Anyway, if a robbery did actually happened, then I am sure that the admins will refund the lost coins. They had already did that during the last robbery.

They havent implemented multi sig yet, it's in beta for a small number of users.

Also, the original "hack" wasn't a hack.

Defcon et al, realised they were playing a very dangerous game, and that the money they were making wasn't worth it. So they came up with a figure - say $3 million that they wanted for their own risk. They stole it themselves, blaming transaction malleability with some lame ass excuse about how they were moving all the money into the hot wallet just as the hacker struck (lol)

Once they had their little nest eggs stashed away so they had money to disappear if the FBI came calling or they felt under threat they returned with their "sweaty and humbled" speech about how they would repay everyone, then they repay everyone with a percentage of the fees they're collecting from users. (they're probably still skimming, I bet 100% of fees are not repaying people)

It makes sense, if I was them I'd do the exact same thing, rather than earn $10,000 a week or whatever knowing at any time the FBI could bust you and you'd have risked everything for a measly sum, start by stealing a good amount so you're safe then let the users repay that...

I understand the part about them stealing the bitcoin at first so to have to not take on the risk of being caught by law enforcement. What I don't understand is why they continued to operate the site after the "hack" - their risk of jail time is still present.

I do agree that the timing of the previous attack was very suspicious as it coincided with a time when the amount of money held in escrow was more or less at an all time high. 
MrPiggles

Activity: 980
Merit: 256

Decentralized Ascending Auctions on Blockchain

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 06:02:27 AM

Is it really possible to steal coins from SR 2.0? They had removed the escrow system many months ago, and replaced it with the multi-sig wallet system. If SR 2.0 does not hold Bitcoins of its users anymore, how it is possible to steal the coins from that site?

Anyway, if a robbery did actually happened, then I am sure that the admins will refund the lost coins. They had already did that during the last robbery.

They havent implemented multi sig yet, it's in beta for a small number of users.

Defcon et al, realised they were playing a very dangerous game, and that the money they were making wasn't worth it. So they came up with a figure - say $3 million that they wanted for their own risk. They stole it themselves, blaming transaction malleability with some lame ass excuse about how they were moving all the money into the hot wallet just as the hacker struck (lol)

Once they had their little nest eggs stashed away so they had money to disappear if the FBI came calling or they felt under threat they returned with their "sweaty and humbled" speech about how they would repay everyone, then they repay everyone with a percentage of the fees they're collecting from users. (they're probably still skimming, I bet 100% of fees are not repaying people)

It makes sense, if I was them I'd do the exact same thing, rather than earn $10,000 a week or whatever knowing at any time the FBI could bust you and you'd have risked everything for a measly sum, start by stealing a good amount so you're safe then let the users repay that...

I understand the part about them stealing the bitcoin at first so to have to not take on the risk of being caught by law enforcement. What I don't understand is why they continued to operate the site after the "hack" - their risk of jail time is still present.

I do agree that the timing of the previous attack was very suspicious as it coincided with a time when the amount of money held in escrow was more or less at an all time high. 

because they want to continue making money.

They stole their nest egg, now they're adding to it. I do not believe that it's taken so long to repay the hack, there has also been some very suspicious scams. Obvious scammers made vendors with good feedback, accounts hijacked. I genuinely believe the crew behind SR2 are running it as a long con. They both steal and scam, and run it as a real market in order to maximise their profits.

They stole $3m or thereabouts.

They set up people like RaulGallardo with vendor accounts, and stole tens of thousands. Quite a few weird vendors have popped up and stolen money even when vendor reg was closed...somehow. So I guess they probably steal a small proportion, I dunno, say 3% of the money going through the site.

They also run it legitimately, getting 4% fees or so, but I bet they are using half of that to repay victims and half for themselves, hence why it's taken since february to repay.

These guys are professional crooks, to think they're running their highly illegal darknet market in an honest way is laughable. Look what happened to the last guy who did that.

▄▄████▄
          ██▀▀  ▀██▄
     ▄▄▄▄██▀      ██▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄██▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
   ██     ███▄▄▄▄██▀     ██
   ██      ▀▀▀██▀▀       ██
  ▄██                    ██▄
  ██▀       ██████       ▀██
  ██        ██  ██        ██
  ██       ███  ███       ██
 ███       ███  ███       ███
 ███       ███  ███       ███
 ██▀       ███  ███       ▀██
▄██        ████████        ██▄
███                        ███
 ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
  ▀████████████████████████▀

iBid

Decentralized Auctions
on Blockchain
  ▄██

▀██
██████████████████████████████████
▄ ▄▄
██▄▀██▄
████▄▀▀██▄
██████▄ ▀███▄▄
████████▄ ▀███▀ ▄
██████████▄ ▀ ▄████▄
██████████▀ ▄ ▀███▀▀
████████▀ ▄███▄ ▀
██████▀▄████▀▀
████▀▄███▀
██▀▄█▀▀
  ▀▀
GET IN ON
Google Play
██▄
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
██▀
  ▄██

▀██
█████████████████████████████████
          ▄▄█
         ▄██▀
    ▄▄▄  ▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄███████████████
▄██████████████▀
███████████████
███████████████
▀███████████████▄
 ████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████▀
   ▀████▀▀▀███▀
Download on the
App Store
█████████████████████████████████
██▄
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
██▀

About us
Telegram
██████████████      ██████████████
██████████████      ██████████████
███████████████    ███████████████
█████████████        █████████████
███████████            ███████████
████████████████  ████████████████
██████████              ██████████
██████████  ████  ████  ██████████
█████████    ██    ██    █████████
█████████    ██    ██    █████████

███ SIGN UP ███
██████████▀▀▀▀████████████████████
██████████▄▄    ▀▀▀███████████████
██████████  ▀▀ ▄▄  ▄██████████████
█████████        ▀████████████████
████████▀        █████████████████
██████▀▀▀▄▄     ██     ▀▀▀████████
██████▄     ▀▀▄▄███▄         ▀████
█████████▄▄▄   ███████▄▄       ███
███████████████████████████▄▄▄████
████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████████████
███▀             ▀████████████████
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████

All auctions start at $0
with no minimum reserve

AN  AUCTION
newflesh

Activity: 630

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 10:10:32 AM

You would think the FBI would have learnt its lesson from the first Silkroad takedown. Even if they were to shut down Silkroad 2, Silkroad 3 would soon pop up (I think SR2 was up within a month of SR1 being taken down), that's not even factoring in all the new developments like Open Bazaar etc.
zorke

Activity: 238

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 05:02:30 PM

because they want to continue making money.

They stole their nest egg, now they're adding to it. I do not believe that it's taken so long to repay the hack, there has also been some very suspicious scams. Obvious scammers made vendors with good feedback, accounts hijacked. I genuinely believe the crew behind SR2 are running it as a long con. They both steal and scam, and run it as a real market in order to maximise their profits.

They stole $3m or thereabouts.

They set up people like RaulGallardo with vendor accounts, and stole tens of thousands. Quite a few weird vendors have popped up and stolen money even when vendor reg was closed...somehow. So I guess they probably steal a small proportion, I dunno, say 3% of the money going through the site.

They also run it legitimately, getting 4% fees or so, but I bet they are using half of that to repay victims and half for themselves, hence why it's taken since february to repay.

These guys are professional crooks, to think they're running their highly illegal darknet market in an honest way is laughable. Look what happened to the last guy who did that.
But what it appears they are doing is "stealing" money from customers and then repaying them back with money they would have earned anyway from commissions. While they are "paying back" the customer money they are still vulnerable to be charged with drug related crimes. 
DubFX

Activity: 434

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 07:26:19 PM

Ddos attack =/= beign able to steal coins, it's just making the servers too busy to respond to normal request instread of only attacker's ones.
dankkk

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 08:43:23 PM

You would think the FBI would have learnt its lesson from the first Silkroad takedown. Even if they were to shut down Silkroad 2, Silkroad 3 would soon pop up (I think SR2 was up within a month of SR1 being taken down), that's not even factoring in all the new developments like Open Bazaar etc.
It took several years for the FBI to be able to take down SR1. SR2 has been open for well under a year so far. If the FBI is able to take down SR2 in much less time then it took to take down SR1, despite SR2 learning from SR1's mistakes and apparently being much better funded from a security point of view then others would be less likely to want to follow in the footsteps of ross and create additional dark markets
tins

Activity: 882

View Profile
September 13, 2014, 09:00:05 PM

the silk road bitcoin sold for $900 double the market value !

Do you have a link to this? I didn't know the final numbers were made public.
wasserman99

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 06:41:31 AM

i was under the impression that agora etc were all dangerous phishing sites...

is there an updated list of 'safe' dark marketplaces?
I don't think any of the dark net marketplaces for illegal drugs should be considered as "safe"

You have a huge risk of getting scammed on these kinds of sites. Even if you do not get scammed you are breaking the law and are risking prosecution. You also risk that the site as been compromised and is now essentially run by the police/law enforcement.

I would actually be surprised if the attack on SR2 was not being launched by the FBI while attempting to take it down within a year of taking down SR1.

DubFX

Activity: 434

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 10:52:32 AM

There are lots of articles on clearnet, look around Wink
But ordering substances that are forbidden in your contry is illegal.
Bitcoins101

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 11:00:12 AM
Last edit: September 14, 2014, 11:10:50 AM by Bitcoins101

Make sure to use Tor while searching for clearnet articles about the deepweb. Don't be low-hanging fruit and Google crap like that without Tor - it's the perfect excuse for a raid which will waste law enforcement's time. Search around Reddit. Acquire knowledge and do what you want with it within your country's laws - the government always knows best and is just there to protect you.

wasserman99

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 07:12:36 PM

Make sure to use Tor while searching for clearnet articles about the deepweb. Don't be low-hanging fruit and Google crap like that without Tor - it's the perfect excuse for a raid which will waste law enforcement's time. Search around Reddit. Acquire knowledge and do what you want with it within your country's laws - the government always knows best and is just there to protect you.
It is not at all illegal to read about sites like SR or other illegal websites. There are a lot of legit reasons to read about and even access these illegal darkweb sites.

To say that you should not read about sites like SR is like saying that you should not read about a murder in your community or about a bank robbery. Reading about any of these would not implicate you in anything illegal

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: