Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 09:29:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Paying all longs and btc deposits at bitcoinica!  (Read 3257 times)
notme (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 08:05:01 AM

http://charts.bitcoinica.com/interest_rates

Did somebody leverage themselves a nice sub-5 dip?

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Koekiemonster

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

Bitbuy.nl!

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 09:47:12 AM

Starfish on sell!

https://www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
Bitcointalk topic over Bitbuy!
ohforf

Activity: 327

we are legion

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 10:56:29 AM

I wonder how to understand the interest rates.
If i deposit BTC at Bitcoinica, i get 1.69% a Day ?
That would be a damm good savings Account.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▀██████ EAT SLEEP DECENTRALIZE ██████▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 11:14:27 AM

Starfish on sell!

What does this starfish really mean? No shorts possible? Does this mean that bitcoinica has no bitcoins in reserve?

bitdragon

Activity: 609
Merit: 501

peace

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 11:34:22 AM

I wonder how to understand the interest rates.
If i deposit BTC at Bitcoinica, i get 1.69% a Day ?
That would be a damm good savings Account.

I believe it is 1,68 pip per day.
The APY is 6.33%

1.0633^(1/365) = 1.000168187

So per day, you get right now = 0.0168%

Koekiemonster

Bitbuy.nl!

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 11:43:37 AM

Starfish on sell!

What does this starfish really mean? No shorts possible? Does this mean that bitcoinica has no bitcoins in reserve?

Exactly as you say. This means only longs can be convered.

S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 11:44:33 AM

Starfish on sell!

Exactly as you say. This means only longs can be convered.

thanks. does does not sound like it is a liquid platform

Hunterbunter

Activity: 994

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 11:46:56 AM

Starfish on sell!

yeah it means bitcoinica is out of coins to hedge, and there are more people selling than buying internally. Although I thought they stopped this. Perhaps a lot of customers converted their coins to USD internally also.

It presents an interesting problem and opportunity to those so inclined.
Koekiemonster

Bitbuy.nl!

View Profile
April 28, 2012, 11:54:43 AM

Starfish on sell!

yeah it means bitcoinica is out of coins to hedge, and there are more people selling than buying internally. Although I thought they stopped this. Perhaps a lot of customers converted their coins to USD internally also.

It presents an interesting problem and opportunity to those so inclined.

They thought of a solution in the way of paying/charging people interest on their deposits/positions and it worked really well for USD liquidity since the interest rates were huge. Since BTC interest rates weren't that attractive until last night it seems people were not interested in storing their BTC in Bitcoinica, but I guess more people will do so now since the APY interest rate for your BTC deposit is currently 6.31%. I think this is a temporary problem.

friedcat
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 848
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 05:15:29 AM

Madness is still going on:

notme (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 04:16:52 AM

Madness is still going on:

Great, now both sides are highly leveraged... no matter where we go from here it's going to get messy real quick.

phorensic

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 09:50:09 PM

I just pulled out of Bitcoinica after using it for months.  The algorithm that determines the spread is rigged, I have no other way to explain it.  The interest rates are nice, but if you look at the history they often fall to 0% throughout the day for no reason.  But the spread is horrendous.  The price on goxlive, btccharts, clark moody can be swinging wildly up and down on my screen, and yet the Bitcoinica spread will stay dead flat for hours.  I'm used to watching real forex spreads react immediately to the market up and down all day.  That's ignoring the fact that the spread is super massive, which limits you to swing trading only.  If you overlayed a candlestick chart of Gox on top of the Bitcoinica "Daily Quote" chart you would end up with a huge "WHAT THE FUCK!?" look on your face.  I guess what that does is even make swing trading impossible.  During any big rally or dip the spread takes so long to react it's impossible to actually make a profit.  I suppose if we were back in the days where the price moved $5 at a time you could make money, but not in this current market.
notme (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 02:22:54 AM

I just pulled out of Bitcoinica after using it for months.  The algorithm that determines the spread is rigged, I have no other way to explain it.  The interest rates are nice, but if you look at the history they often fall to 0% throughout the day for no reason.  But the spread is horrendous.  The price on goxlive, btccharts, clark moody can be swinging wildly up and down on my screen, and yet the Bitcoinica spread will stay dead flat for hours.  I'm used to watching real forex spreads react immediately to the market up and down all day.  That's ignoring the fact that the spread is super massive, which limits you to swing trading only.  If you overlayed a candlestick chart of Gox on top of the Bitcoinica "Daily Quote" chart you would end up with a huge "WHAT THE FUCK!?" look on your face.  I guess what that does is even make swing trading impossible.  During any big rally or dip the spread takes so long to react it's impossible to actually make a profit.  I suppose if we were back in the days where the price moved $5 at a time you could make money, but not in this current market.

I have to agree with most of that.

zhoutong
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2012, 03:53:51 AM

Bitcoinica pricing algorithm is very accurate. However we are not interested in the trading prices. We only concern about the liquidity. Sometimes 50 BTC can move Mt. Gox prices by a few cents, they won't be able to move Bitcoinica prices.

I personally think that Bitcoinica prices are good for offline trading, because it's not the price that was traded by others seconds ago, it is the price that you can trade at, immediately.

Now we have a much faster order processing system, and guarantee 100 BTC liquidity for a single order. The associated liquidity can be as high as 1000 BTC. (So sometimes you can place a 1000 BTC market order and trade without slippage or re-quotes!)

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1076

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 04:39:05 AM

Bitcoinica pricing algorithm is very accurate. However we are not interested in the trading prices. We only concern about the liquidity. Sometimes 50 BTC can move Mt. Gox prices by a few cents, they won't be able to move Bitcoinica prices.

I personally think that Bitcoinica prices are good for offline trading, because it's not the price that was traded by others seconds ago, it is the price that you can trade at, immediately.

Now we have a much faster order processing system, and guarantee 100 BTC liquidity for a single order. The associated liquidity can be as high as 1000 BTC. (So sometimes you can place a 1000 BTC market order and trade without slippage or re-quotes!)
If the 100 BTC liquidity is true, http://help.bitcoinica.com/kb/apps/liquidity needs to be updated.
naima53

Activity: 616

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 11:20:59 AM

If the 100 BTC liquidity is true, http://help.bitcoinica.com/kb/apps/liquidity needs to be updated.
I've noticed. Excellent! Now a large limit order is much faster!

Donate me) 16f6iWHHkVEnDReeBQPT9GwCNwUfPTXrp2
Zotia

Activity: 686
Merit: 501

TokenUnion-Get Rewarded for Holding Crypto

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 01:02:31 AM

Now Bitcoinica is paying shorts...

What happened?

▄████████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████████
███████                ██████
███████                ██████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
███████▀▀▀▀██    ██▀▀▀▀███████
███████    ██    ██    ███████
███████    ▀██▄▄██▀    ███████
███████▄     ▀▀▀▀     ▄███████
████████▄            ▄████████
██████████▄▄      ▄▄██████████
██████████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████████▀
.TokenUnion.

Reinventing Savings via Cryptoeconomically
Incentivized Holding

████▄▄▄
   ██  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄
   ██        ▀▀▀███▄
  ██     ▄██▄     ██
  ██     ▀██▀     ██
 ██   ███▄▄▄     ██
 ██     ▀▀▀███   ██
██   ███▄▄▄     ██
██     ▀▀▀███   ██
▀███▄▄▄        ██
   ▀▀▀████▄▄▄  ██
         ▀▀▀████
WP
■  Telegram     ■  Github
            ■  Reddit     ■  Twitter
naima53

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 01:17:09 AM

Now Bitcoinica is paying shorts...

What happened?

I think, shorting "wave-lemmings"  Tongue

bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 01:45:51 AM

lol, i dont think $.09 covers a shorts losses from a rising price  Grin

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
naima53

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 05:33:35 AM

lol, i dont think $.09 covers a shorts losses from a rising price  Grin
but if you close the long position 4.95 (just a guess)...

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: