Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:55:51 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CrazyLoaf's CrazySteak(TM) High PoS Investment Journal  (Read 18511 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
presstab
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

Blockchain Developer

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 05:26:12 PM

I read the High PoS Investment Journal every couple days, have gotten lots of great info here!

I have small-ish stakes in HBN and CAP. Although I mine each here and there, I plan to buy a bit more of each.
Have not found an exchange I like for either. Would you suggest an exchange, one that does not exchange USD,
since those require your name, address, and more?

Also, very happy to have recently assembled a six-figure amount of HYP, very much enjoying the staking coin amounts Smiley
Letting it compound for now.

Cryptsy is the largest market if you are looking to buy HBN, maybe give it a look-see.

I love these hi-stake coins, but because of very low volume they are basically fun hobby coins...
Only HYP has managed to find a formula that creates good liquidity (1-2% of all HYP turns over every day)...
The other coins need to make liquidity a priority by studying the HYP phenomenon.

Also, Cryptsy is reporting to the US Govt on your CooterPickles...
And it gets complicated because since a hard fork your CooterPickles are now CooterStake.

Someday in 2018, the nice IRS lady examiner in a suit holding the Cryptsy report from way back in 2014...
Will want you to carefully separate all of your 2014 CooterPickle staking "income"...
From your CooterPickle "capital gains" accrued from price appreciation while long-term hodling...
So it will be crucial for an experienced accountant to accurately categorize your bounty...
Because there may be Foreign Withholding or Tax Credits depending on the location of CooterStake servers.

I highly doubt that Cryptsy does any reporting of users to the IRS, unless you think they are preparing to shoot out 1099's to all their users? I am guessing you are confusing finCEN AML laws with the IRS?

Projects I Contribute To: libzerocoin | Veil | PIVX | HyperStake | Crown | SaluS
ReydeApio

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 10:23:39 PM

I read the High PoS Investment Journal every couple days, have gotten lots of great info here!

I have small-ish stakes in HBN and CAP. Although I mine each here and there, I plan to buy a bit more of each.
Have not found an exchange I like for either. Would you suggest an exchange, one that does not exchange USD,

Also, very happy to have recently assembled a six-figure amount of HYP, very much enjoying the staking coin amounts Smiley

Cryptsy is the largest market if you are looking to buy HBN, maybe give it a look-see.

Someday in 2018, the nice IRS lady examiner in a suit holding the Cryptsy report from way back in 2014...

Could we do that piece of fiction again but make her a Naughty IRS lady examiner instead?
CrazyLoaf (OP)

Activity: 763
Merit: 534

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 10:34:47 PM

Could we do that piece of fiction again but make her a Naughty IRS lady examiner instead?

There's no way it'd be a naughty IRS agent Wink At best, it'll be a fat, old, and childless IRS agent whose barren ovaries and ample house cats makes her angry and apt to take out her frustration on random CooterPickle owners Grin

P.S. When is CooterPickle coin coming?
Hilux74
Legendary

Activity: 912

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 11:11:44 PM

Its been released last week!

ANN:CooterPickles (CPK) - Quark Algo POW - 250,000% Annual POS
CrazyLoaf (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 11:30:50 PM

Damn it! Rick Rolled on my own thread! Cheesy
digitalindustry

Activity: 798

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 07:37:20 AM

I love these hi-stake coins, but because of very low volume they are basically fun hobby coins...
Only HYP has managed to find a formula that creates good liquidity (1-2% of all HYP turns over every day)...
The other coins need to make liquidity a priority by studying the HYP phenomenon.

And it gets complicated because since a hard fork your CooterPickles are now CooterStake.

Will want you to carefully separate all of your 2014 CooterPickle staking "income"...
From your CooterPickle "capital gains" accrued from price appreciation while long-term hodling...
So it will be crucial for an experienced accountant to accurately categorize your bounty...
Because there may be Foreign Withholding or Tax Credits depending on the location of CooterStake servers.

sounds like your perfect job ha ha.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
digitalindustry

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 07:38:40 AM

i suppose we should have seen that coming.. ha ha

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
Hilux74
Legendary

Activity: 912

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 03:01:28 PM

hehe  Wink
PressF1

Activity: 216

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 03:39:22 PM

With this information I can calculate the inflation rate due to expanding supply. I did this already for HBN which revealed some interesting info. 

Can You share with us your thoughts? Smiley

Sure,

To start, I am into HighPOS-coins because I think its the smartest way of 'mining' coins. You reading this probably means you kind off figured this out too. But highPOS comes with a potential problem as well: High inflation because coins are multipling themselves, 1 becomes 2 and then 4, 8, 16, 32 etc. Before you know it, the coin supply gets bigger exponentially, which will eventually force their value down in the same pace.

Some months ago, I went digging in the HBN blockchain to see how the monthly inflation rate due to POS-staking was developing in reality. It became clear that in case of HBN it's not spiralling out of control. Not at all, it's actually getting lower every month. HBN seems to be designed in a way that prevents exponential inflation. I have some idea's why but for now, that not the point.

I was wondering whether the other HighPOS coins behaved the same way as HBN or not. CAP is twice the POS rate but compared to HBN similar in design. I am really interested to find out all about CAP-inflation. How high is it? And how does it evolve?

So I am planning on investigating HBN, CAP, TEK and HYP in this respect. I managed to find useable blockexplorers for all of them except CAP. That's why I was asking for some help. 

When I am done, I'll share my findings, I am curious to know what you High-POS-guys think of it!

HBN & CAP: F1PressF1PCxEyESGk6Fe1om1RfiHqX5gg
CrazyLoaf (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 05:05:13 PM

Sure,

To start, I am into HighPOS-coins because I think its the smartest way of 'mining' coins. You reading this probably means you kind off figured this out too. But highPOS comes with a potential problem as well: High inflation because coins are multipling themselves, 1 becomes 2 and then 4, 8, 16, 32 etc. Before you know it, the coin supply gets bigger exponentially, which will eventually force their value down in the same pace.

Some months ago, I went digging in the HBN blockchain to see how the monthly inflation rate due to POS-staking was developing in reality. It became clear that in case of HBN it's not spiralling out of control. Not at all, it's actually getting lower every month. HBN seems to be designed in a way that prevents exponential inflation. I have some idea's why but for now, that not the point.

I was wondering whether the other HighPOS coins behaved the same way as HBN or not. CAP is twice the POS rate but compared to HBN similar in design. I am really interested to find out all about CAP-inflation. How high is it? And how does it evolve?

So I am planning on investigating HBN, CAP, TEK and HYP in this respect. I managed to find useable blockexplorers for all of them except CAP. That's why I was asking for some help. 

When I am done, I'll share my findings, I am curious to know what you High-POS-guys think of it!

Inflation doesn't matter as much since these aren't competing to be currencies. I mean you can use them as such, but that would be the same as going into Apple stock with the anticipation that you can then get a "Xapple Card" to sell your Apple stock to buy your latte at Starbucks.

High PoS combines a few aspects:

- Mining/minting masternode: the number of coins you have can be considered to be your "power" in generating more coins. However, unlike the continuous arms race of mining with physical machines, you get an idea of the possible "hash power," i.e., what # of coins you can generate based on the number of coins you have as well as the time it will take to hit a block. If you think about mining say HBN, it's like mining BTC in the early days, since when you hit a block, the whole block is yours. Unlike PoW, however, efforts to hit a block aren't burnt up, so you actually generate more coins once you hit a block later.

- Hedging: At a time when almost every altcoin is a falling knife, high PoS at least rewards holders with a set # of new coins/hashing shares. When say Vericoin can just crash into oblivion since it is purely a speculative play from the same people who brought you Blackcoin, intelligently designed high PoS has a latent value in that, like mining, you can put value in to potentially get more value out.

- Continuous share dilution/creation: If you hold the same number of coins and mint them continuously, you will still have the same % of total coins in the market later, more or less. So if you held 50k HBN now, and just staked for a decade, you'd then have say 1M HBN. It's just a mathematical change. You share of the total network of coins, minting masternodes is more or less the same. This is where it helps to think not simply currency, but something more powerful where "dilution" doesn't matter as much.
iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 05:54:30 PM

Sure,

Inflation doesn't matter as much since these aren't competing to be currencies. I mean you can use them as such, but that would be the same as going into Apple stock with the anticipation that you can then get a "Xapple Card" to sell your Apple stock to buy your latte at Starbucks.

- Mining/minting masternode: the number of coins you have can be considered to be your "power" in generating more coins. However, unlike the continuous arms race of mining with physical machines, you get an idea of the possible "hash power," i.e., what # of coins you can generate based on the number of coins you have as well as the time it will take to hit a block. If you think about mining say HBN, it's like mining BTC in the early days, since when you hit a block, the whole block is yours. Unlike PoW, however, efforts to hit a block aren't burnt up, so you actually generate more coins once you hit a block later.

- Hedging: At a time when almost every altcoin is a falling knife, high PoS at least rewards holders with a set # of new coins/hashing shares. When say Vericoin can just crash into oblivion since it is purely a speculative play from the same people who brought you Blackcoin, intelligently designed high PoS has a latent value in that, like mining, you can put value in to potentially get more value out.

- Continuous share dilution/creation: If you hold the same number of coins and mint them continuously, you will still have the same % of total coins in the market later, more or less. So if you held 50k HBN now, and just staked for a decade, you'd then have say 1M HBN. It's just a mathematical change. You share of the total network of coins, minting masternodes is more or less the same. This is where it helps to think not simply currency, but something more powerful where "dilution" doesn't matter as much.

This is a prety important post to read because Loaf has it exactly right. PoS is a system based on percentages, rather than amount of coins

PressF1

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 06:43:44 AM

Sure,

That's an interesting take on the matter and I think we are pretty much on the same page here. HighPOS is holding out pretty good over the last year unlike so many others. That's exiciting! My main point of interest is about the last thing you mention. Continuous share dilution/creation. I think you are right by stating that the dynamics of HighPOS are not one on one with currency. That's what's making me curious. I wonder at what pace does this creation/dilution take place? And to what extend it matters or not is also a very interesting question!

But it's quite some work so i'll need some time. Then again, it's sunday and crap weather...  Smiley

CrazyLoaf (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 07:05:13 AM

That's an interesting take on the matter and I think we are pretty much on the same page here. HighPOS is holding out pretty good over the last year unlike so many others. That's exiciting! My main point of interest is about the last thing you mention. Continuous share dilution/creation. I think you are right by stating that the dynamics of HighPOS are not one on one with currency. That's what's making me curious. I wonder at what pace does this creation/dilution take place? And to what extend it matters or not is also a very interesting question!

But it's quite some work so i'll need some time. Then again, it's sunday and crap weather...  Smiley

Well, this is where I will probably get in trouble and say think of these coins as not currencies, but stocks. Stocks have a certain number of shares outstanding that represent ownership in the company. Let's make the stock a simple one and say its a REIT (real estate investment trust) that owns a single apartment building. We can have 100 shares or 1M shares, but they still represent fractional ownership in the one apartment building. In this case, if I own 10 shares in the first case and 100k shares in the second, I still own 10% of the REIT, apartment building, etc.

This is where you can look at high PoS through the lens of mining/minting masternodes. Say for HBN, right now there are 6,651,104 "shares" on the network. If all these shares stake in the next 10 days, they will produce 133,022 more shares. So buying today, we are buying the minting power that will produce these 133k shares in the next 10 days. If I buy 665,110 HBN "shares" and hold to full stake, I then will have 678,412 HBN, which will still be 10% of share network. I still "own" the same amount of the network.

I'd almost compare some aspects of high PoS to buying hash power on say cex.io and other similar sites. Each site has a limited amount of hash power that is projected to produce a similar amount of coins. One difference is that, unlike cex.io where you compare with other miners, in HBN, you have the total network available and you aren't competing against Betarigs rentals to see what amt of coins you can get.

Let me know if I need to explain more; hopefully this makes sense since I made it up Tongue

PressF1

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 11:57:44 AM

Hi Guys, I posted my findings in the CAP-thread where I started it. If you like check it out!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241445.2640

digitalindustry

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2014, 12:28:36 PM
Last edit: October 12, 2014, 12:45:58 PM by digitalindustry

Sure,

with out going into boring details this is what I've been "studying" more or less.

without expecting people to fully understand a PoW system can do a "similar" thing - this is where the study relates to Quark: so think about this (it gets a little socially complex)

-  as it is fully distributed only a seller can sell on you, apart from the EQ
- but as there are many hands in the units (the complex PoW) and the floored initial price etc.
- this means it is the opposite net effect to what the NXT and Black scams did  (they where seeking to improve on the BIT-COIN monopoly.) (because they understood how it was "fake")
- So with lots of trust lost
- every human starts to act in their own self interest.

this leads to a "reserve" situation similar to high PoS - well not exactly the same but a similar effect
its about the absorption  of velocity its similar to what Pressf1 was kind of talking about.

for example Zeta tries to do a similar thing but as its SAH256 it had much less hands, the net result should be that it is not as good a reserve bt will get better in the future , (given that SHA256 is viable)

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
forbesmining

Activity: 297

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 03:17:46 PM

I want to buy some more HYP, can't decide if the new 4000+ price is here to stay and cheap, or wait for a dip  Undecided

mtwelve
Legendary

Merit: 1009

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2014, 07:24:04 PM

It seems that HYP is fairly stable when it comes to recieving gains, so I'd say 4000 sat is cheap Smiley

HIRE ME FOR SEO, SOCIAL MEDIA, COPYWRITING, AND MORE: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5100134.0
identtitentti

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 08:52:03 PM

I didn't read the whole thread, but in case FIMK (pure PoS) has not been mentioned yet: http://fimk.fi/en/info.html

PS: the basic development philosophy of FIMK may be quite different from the other ones mentioned, as the main development interest and effort is in the communal aspect and every day use - gradual distribution of third of the coins to Finnish citizens as "basic income" over five years, the same time as extra stake rewards are being paid, in gradually lowering curve.
Majormax
Legendary

Activity: 2534
Merit: 1129

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 12:07:22 AM

I didn't read the whole thread, but in case FIMK (pure PoS) has not been mentioned yet: http://fimk.fi/en/info.html

PS: the basic development philosophy of FIMK may be quite different from the other ones mentioned, as the main development interest and effort is in the communal aspect and every day use - gradual distribution of third of the coins to Finnish citizens as "basic income" over five years, the same time as extra stake rewards are being paid, in gradually lowering curve.

FIMK does not belong here because it's PoS reward is not high.
mtwelve
Legendary

Merit: 1009

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 12:23:06 AM

FIMK does not belong here because it's PoS reward is not high.

high enough* Smiley

HIRE ME FOR SEO, SOCIAL MEDIA, COPYWRITING, AND MORE: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5100134.0
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: