Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:19:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 302 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][SLR] SolarCoin | PoW to PoS v. 2.0 | Solar Proof of Generation (§1 = 1MWh)  (Read 466758 times)
Yolocoind

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 04:46:27 PM

solarcoin.conf
Code:
daemon=1
server=1
gen=0
addnode=50.121.198.164
addnode=162.243.214.120
addnode=64.34.49.151
addnode=107.170.138.159
addnode=78.151.140.165
addnode=192.99.47.133
addnode=67.255.7.120
addnode=50.41.98.76
addnode=87.118.88.200
addnode=178.62.36.143

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hozer

Activity: 271
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2014, 06:14:30 PM

If Solarcoin is going to work, the developers have to get paid.

If developers do not get paid, the good ones move one to things that do pay. The biggest problem in the cryptocoin world right now is that a smart kid that understands C++ and crypto (and how to properly build addnode lists into the client) can make way more money doing a new coin-of-the week, or work for an established exchange or maybe an cryptocoin trader.

I would like to see something public from the foundation on what the long-term plans to pay some developers are, and how that is going to be a living wage, competitive with what smart people can make writing crypto code for the 'gray' market, or for new IPO-style efforts like Ethereum. Something like https://www.ethereum.org/pdfs/Ethereum-Dev-Plan-preview.pdf might be appropriate for the solarcoin non-profit board to create.

I agree with you 100% that for a crypto project to attract and retain talent, people must be paid fairly for their work. And not just developers, but also executive management, marketing and communications personnel, etc.

Up until now, the SolarCoin project has been built almost entirely by volunteers, with occasional paid contract work to supplement the work of the volunteers. The fact that so much has been able to be done purely on a volunteer basis is a testament to the passion with which many of us believe in the idea of SolarCoin -- and shows the strength and amazing potential of this currency if we acquire funding to pay people to work on the team.

I believe the volunteer-based model will have to be adjusted as time goes on. I have had in-depth discussions with the founders of SolarCoin, Nick Gogerty and Joseph Zitoli, about organizational development plans. At this time, the thinking is to incorporate as a startup company and raise venture capital to help fund the project. Nick has some connections in the VC world. There might also be a SolarCoin 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization which could raise tax-deductible donations, pursue grant funding from charitable foundations that care about renewable energy and the environment, etc. However, nothing has yet been decided about exactly how or when to move forward with the organizational structure and raise funds. Nick and Joe will make these decisions, hopefully in the next few months. I'm sure they will be interested to hear input from the community about these issues.

Edit: I forgot to mention, there is also a SLR budget of up to 5% of SolarCoins in circulation, which comes out of the Genesis Pool held in reserve. Currently, that budget would be about §1.5 million. At the current price of SolarCoin, that would be worth about $6,000. But if the price goes up a lot, as we expect it to during/after the switch to PoS, then there will be a significant budget available for paying developers and other team members. The allocation of these SLR funds has not been determined yet.

There are serious fundamental problems with proof-of-stake and I have not seen any clear discussion (or code) of how those might be avoided.

The SolarCoin team, as well as the developers from Cannacoin whom we're working with, believe that BlackCoin's Proof-of-Stake v. 2.0 is a good system which we should implement, and that's the plan to go forward. The majority of the work to implement this solution is already done. We decided on this plan because BlackCoin is on the cutting edge of improving the PoS method for securing the network. And as for PoW vs. PoS in general, PoW doesn't make sense as a long-term methodology for SolarCoin because our currency is all about encouraging clean renewable energy to be created, not for energy to be wasted via the energy-intensive mining process.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions! Smiley

So first, let me make it clear I want to get paid for direct consulting, or for commercial GPL-exception license fees for code like https://bitbucket.org/dahozer/catcoin, which is free for anyone to use if they give back to the community by making any source changes available. Exchanges or businesses that provide services based on AGPLv3 code need to either provide the code, or pay the developers commercial license exception fees.

The idea that 'energy is wasted' by mining is a tremendously dangerous idea for renewable energy. Proof-of-work mining powered by solar energy is the mostly likely disruptive change that has the ability to put fossil fuel and nuclear generation out of business permanently.

Leaving wallets open staking all the time is an energy-intensive and wasteful process that will only fuel more fuel-burning power generation.

A miner on my farm that only runs when the wind blows or the sun shines is going to be far more secure, and promote renewables more than a proof-of-stake system with lots of computers running 24x7 that can be compromised with software auto-update systems. You can't remotely exploit sha or scrypt ASIC silicon, while it's only a matter of buying an unreleased zero-day exploit for windows or MacOS to steal enough solarcoin to 51% stake-attack the network.

That being said, the plan you lay out for VC-funding and the 'proof of stake' investor bandwagon seems to have a strong chance of actually succeeding, so it seems the reality that developers need to be paid first makes that route more secure in the short term, because it's more likely people will get paid to make it happen.
corather
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1000

Solarcoin.org

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 07:10:32 PM

So first, let me make it clear I want to get paid for direct consulting, or for commercial GPL-exception license fees for code like https://bitbucket.org/dahozer/catcoin, which is free for anyone to use if they give back to the community by making any source changes available. Exchanges or businesses that provide services based on AGPLv3 code need to either provide the code, or pay the developers commercial license exception fees.

The idea that 'energy is wasted' by mining is a tremendously dangerous idea for renewable energy. Proof-of-work mining powered by solar energy is the mostly likely disruptive change that has the ability to put fossil fuel and nuclear generation out of business permanently.

Leaving wallets open staking all the time is an energy-intensive and wasteful process that will only fuel more fuel-burning power generation.

A miner on my farm that only runs when the wind blows or the sun shines is going to be far more secure, and promote renewables more than a proof-of-stake system with lots of computers running 24x7 that can be compromised with software auto-update systems. You can't remotely exploit sha or scrypt ASIC silicon, while it's only a matter of buying an unreleased zero-day exploit for windows or MacOS to steal enough solarcoin to 51% stake-attack the network.

That being said, the plan you lay out for VC-funding and the 'proof of stake' investor bandwagon seems to have a strong chance of actually succeeding, so it seems the reality that developers need to be paid first makes that route more secure in the short term, because it's more likely people will get paid to make it happen.

Well that being said there are options for low power computing. A Netbook for example uses almost zero electricity. A pi is also very power efficient. If you consider the idea is to eventually convert a large portion of people to solar power by making it more cost effective to run solar with Solarcoin feed in tariffs, we well realize a net benefit of power consumption through grid means by simply making is less expensive to run solar. I think the equation will eventually tip to solar even with computers running multiple wallets. The average computer running this software will use no more than 100 watts, and probably much less using the methods I described.

terciops

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 10:02:36 PM

Well that being said there are options for low power computing. A Netbook for example uses almost zero electricity. A pi is also very power efficient. If you consider the idea is to eventually convert a large portion of people to solar power by making it more cost effective to run solar with Solarcoin feed in tariffs, we well realize a net benefit of power consumption through grid means by simply making is less expensive to run solar. I think the equation will eventually tip to solar even with computers running multiple wallets. The average computer running this software will use no more than 100 watts, and probably much less using the methods I described.

I have 3 x gridseed orbs, 1 x Gridseed Blade (a total of 6.1Mh/s) running off of a baby fanless PC with a small SSD dedicated to SLR.  This little setup sits in my workshop attached to an inverter / 110Ah 12v deep cycle battery and 300W of old solar panels.  Even through our southern hemisphere winter I have managed to maintain 98% up-time on  solar power alone.  All up that baby PC uses just 10's of Watts and can happily run 2 x miner software and a SLR wallet.  Keeping a wallet open on such a small PC. piggy backing wireless off the house router is a zero energy option even with a much smaller panel / battery setup.  With a little thought I could probably get it to run off of the 12v direct (it needs 18v) by using a voltage shifter circuit and save the inverter.  The Gridseeds will run off 12v and I use an old PC power supply to power the 12v rail for these.  So with a little more work I could take quite a few latent inefficiencies out of the system, but the panels are there doing nothing else - they are the wrong spec to add to my 4.4 KVa house system.

My point is : compared to the wattage required to run even a very small mining rig, a baby PC running a wallet is of no consequence.  Currently available (modern) scrypt miners are running about 10W/MH/sec at best.  So a baby PC running a wallet would equate to about 2MH of mining effort max.  Doesn't seem that wasteful to me....

As I write this there are 1698MH of mining hash on the SLR coin alone.  That is (even at the 10w/MH as above) 3957Kw (3.9MW) a DAY.....   That would run a lot of wallets......

T

SLR - 8dNrncD6mBWzPPQLMRqmk9oCxoC9N7Xfev
corather
Legendary

Solarcoin.org

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 10:27:40 PM

I have 3 x gridseed orbs, 1 x Gridseed Blade (a total of 6.1Mh/s) running off of a baby fanless PC with a small SSD dedicated to SLR.  This little setup sits in my workshop attached to an inverter / 110Ah 12v deep cycle battery and 300W of old solar panels.  Even through our southern hemisphere winter I have managed to maintain 98% up-time on  solar power alone.  All up that baby PC uses just 10's of Watts and can happily run 2 x miner software and a SLR wallet.  Keeping a wallet open on such a small PC. piggy backing wireless off the house router is a zero energy option even with a much smaller panel / battery setup.  With a little thought I could probably get it to run off of the 12v direct (it needs 18v) by using a voltage shifter circuit and save the inverter.  The Gridseeds will run off 12v and I use an old PC power supply to power the 12v rail for these.  So with a little more work I could take quite a few latent inefficiencies out of the system, but the panels are there doing nothing else - they are the wrong spec to add to my 4.4 KVa house system.

My point is : compared to the wattage required to run even a very small mining rig, a baby PC running a wallet is of no consequence.  Currently available (modern) scrypt miners are running about 10W/MH/sec at best.  So a baby PC running a wallet would equate to about 2MH of mining effort max.  Doesn't seem that wasteful to me....

As I write this there are 1698MH of mining hash on the SLR coin alone.  That is (even at the 10w/MH as above) 3957Kw (3.9MW) a DAY.....   That would run a lot of wallets......

T

True. I just looked up raspberry pi power consumption and it's between .5 and 1 watt. That is indeed a lot of open wallets using almost no power. I think once SLR coin hits PoS I will look into a pi solution to run the wallet. As it stand I have a netbook that eats about 10-20 watts I can use in the interim.

terciops

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 10:38:18 PM

T

True. I just looked up raspberry pi power consumption and it's between .5 and 1 watt. That is indeed a lot of open wallets using almost no power. I think once SLR coin hits PoS I will look into a pi solution to run the wallet. As it stand I have a netbook that eats about 10-20 watts I can use in the interim.

Perhaps when all the changes are done and SLR is fully POS, the developers can compile a fully functional SLR Raspberry Pi wallet.  That would be a first and quite a coup - well in keeping with the philosophy of SLR....

SLR - 8dNrncD6mBWzPPQLMRqmk9oCxoC9N7Xfev
kikeda

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 10:55:50 PM

Wow new thread - congrats SLR! I always know that this coin is part of the future. Smiley I still have my heaps of SLRs on my external hardrive, I stored it there cause I know that this will be valuable in the future. =)
freebird

Activity: 414

Freedom through Cryptocurrency!

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 12:07:54 AM

Announcement by SolarCoin Foundation about block reward reduction and transition to proof-of-stake. New wallets released in beta:

http://solarcoin.org/important-update-to-solarcoin-currency-wallets/

Grantcoin: Currency with a Conscience. Distributed as charitable grants by a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization. Learn more at Grantcoin.org
imtom

Activity: 58

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 12:25:44 AM

I thought I heard "SolarCoin" before. Is it a re-launch or just same name?
corather
Legendary

Solarcoin.org

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 12:29:15 AM

Same coin. It's just being updated for block reduction and Proof of stake.

corather
Legendary

Solarcoin.org

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 12:31:09 AM

Perhaps when all the changes are done and SLR is fully POS, the developers can compile a fully functional SLR Raspberry Pi wallet.  That would be a first and quite a coup - well in keeping with the philosophy of SLR....

That would be awesome. I think that's something that should be worked on in the future.

vipgelsi
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 03:50:55 AM

Man has the interests really picked up around here the last 2 days.  Grin
brookefinancial

Activity: 406

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 09:28:32 AM

Same coin. It's just being updated for block reduction and Proof of stake.

Which means it makes the current price very interesting  Grin

3D Printing and Bitcoin, that's pretty cool.
seerhaad

Activity: 51

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 12:16:24 PM

Solarcoin price is like a ticking bomb   Wink

Can explode anytime, I hope cheap sellers wont regret it  Undecided
vipgelsi
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 12:47:50 PM

Congrats to all who bought when nobody cared about solarcoin a few months back and everything was doom and gloom. Grin
Epiphany

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2014, 01:17:01 PM

Congrats to all who bought when nobody cared about solarcoin a few months back and everything was doom and gloom. Grin

+8

There was no doom and gloom for me, we were just a building a strong foundation.  Cheesy

Bitcoin:     17tzgWkXMBazch4koAhokMTcCtbc4TaYkE
Ether:        0xfe700f4aeec47e52eafad00f81977bb89738e0ae
​SolarCoin: 8MDk963sEh7RCMo3y3st7hTzMs7FzSdWSx
Dogecoin: DEgdH6CFTLSEeVVPqfE18ySCQqDWmLxp33
seerhaad

Activity: 51

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 01:21:20 PM

+8

There was no doom and gloom for me, we were just a building a strong foundation.  Cheesy

+8

Almost all the Solarcoin owners I know keeping them for long term. After block 310K and POS switch, there will be no coin to buy  Cheesy
LuckyKey

Activity: 368

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 01:30:59 PM

+8

+10 

This just the beginning…we will be looking back in 3 years in amazement at just how far this coin has gone in such a short time!

I believe in the Foundation, and anticipate that it will look much stronger in the coming months  Grin

Go Solarcoin!

pikuchato

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

Activity: yes

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 02:20:16 PM

PANIC BUY !!!!
lol this is hilarious  Tongue
Epiphany

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2014, 02:38:55 PM

PANIC BUY !!!!
lol this is hilarious  Tongue

After all these months, I'll be the first to admit, this mornings price moves have me pretty excited. Smiley

As for my holdings, I would be willing to start providing market liquidity around $0.50 but not less. In terms of the mission going forward, the value has to be at least that to convince current generators to begin claiming their coins. Once that begins, then coins in circulation will start to go up in a natural progression which in turn grows the user base and positively impacts value.

Hey if Mother Nature can create a positive feedback loop to evict us, we can create a positive feedback loop to keep our house. Right?  Wink

Bitcoin:     17tzgWkXMBazch4koAhokMTcCtbc4TaYkE
Ether:        0xfe700f4aeec47e52eafad00f81977bb89738e0ae
​SolarCoin: 8MDk963sEh7RCMo3y3st7hTzMs7FzSdWSx
Dogecoin: DEgdH6CFTLSEeVVPqfE18ySCQqDWmLxp33
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 302 »
  Print  

Jump to: