Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:18:37 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Butterfly Labs (BFL) raided today by U.S. Marshalls 9/19/14  (Read 20352 times)
Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 06:08:29 AM

Here are the news i received by email

http://www.spencerfane.com//SnapshotFiles/fe6ec39c-1858-4244-8390-6b06950c2839/Subscriber.snapshot?clid=dd7f0e88-f2b4-4c82-91fd-07403facf79b&cid=e610c6a3-35d6-4e50-85e1-ffffd2d55145&ce=N%2f5mUKyduycDBpX19gxMSwdgnpW4zqhr

Thank you for your inquiry regarding BF Labs, Inc. d/b/a Butterfly Labs (“Butterfly Labs”). You have previously contacted this receivership and the purpose of this email is to provide you an update with respect to the same.

A preliminary injunction hearing was held on November 24-25, 2014. On December 12, 2014, the Court entered an order denying the FTC’s motion for preliminary injunction, asset freeze, appointment of receiver, and other equitable relief.

On December 23, 2014, the Court entered its order related to procedures for the wind down of the temporary receivership (“Wind Down Procedures Order”). Pursuant to the Wind Down Procedures Order, Butterfly Labs’ management has full control and authority over its business operations.

All inquiries related to operations, products, refunds, and shipping, should be directed to Butterfly Labs. For further information, you may visit the Butterfly Lab’s website at www.butterflylabs.com or email Office@butterflylabs.com.
------------

What will happen now?

Sounds like nothing happened to them because the FTC is a powerless piece of crap agency. You should have directed your complaint to Safeway or Walgreens. You would have seen more effective action taken against BFL.

I would gather this only applies to stuff not shipped out.. I would assume that BFL has already shifted most to the cloud hashing or shipped monarchs and none of this applies to those who already got late miners in 65mm or whatever

in other words looks like BFL wins? (or am I missing something)

It to me looks like BFL will wind down as a company ..declare bankruptcy and being a corporation the principal investors will be protected and walk

let me know if i'm missing something but this all looks a lot like the bank crisis of 2007 when no one went to jail

but then again....I'm still waiting for the IRS to wade in (crosses fingers)

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 02:13:03 PM

Here are the news i received by email

http://www.spencerfane.com//SnapshotFiles/fe6ec39c-1858-4244-8390-6b06950c2839/Subscriber.snapshot?clid=dd7f0e88-f2b4-4c82-91fd-07403facf79b&cid=e610c6a3-35d6-4e50-85e1-ffffd2d55145&ce=N%2f5mUKyduycDBpX19gxMSwdgnpW4zqhr

Thank you for your inquiry regarding BF Labs, Inc. d/b/a Butterfly Labs (“Butterfly Labs”). You have previously contacted this receivership and the purpose of this email is to provide you an update with respect to the same.

A preliminary injunction hearing was held on November 24-25, 2014. On December 12, 2014, the Court entered an order denying the FTC’s motion for preliminary injunction, asset freeze, appointment of receiver, and other equitable relief.

On December 23, 2014, the Court entered its order related to procedures for the wind down of the temporary receivership (“Wind Down Procedures Order”). Pursuant to the Wind Down Procedures Order, Butterfly Labs’ management has full control and authority over its business operations.

All inquiries related to operations, products, refunds, and shipping, should be directed to Butterfly Labs. For further information, you may visit the Butterfly Lab’s website at www.butterflylabs.com or email Office@butterflylabs.com.
------------

What will happen now?

Sounds like nothing happened to them because the FTC is a powerless piece of crap agency. You should have directed your complaint to Safeway or Walgreens. You would have seen more effective action taken against BFL.

I would gather this only applies to stuff not shipped out.. I would assume that BFL has already shifted most to the cloud hashing or shipped monarchs and none of this applies to those who already got late miners in 65mm or whatever

It to me looks like BFL will wind down as a company ..declare bankruptcy and being a corporation the principal investors will be protected and walk

let me know if i'm missing something but this all looks a lot like the bank crisis of 2007 when no one went to jail

but then again....I'm still waiting for the IRS to wade in (crosses fingers)

They spent a lot of customer preorder money on legal fees so it's not like nothing happened. I started warning people about preorder scams almost the day BFL opened and they didn't listen. The only preorder in history that has ended up not being a scam is preorder books and Barnes & Noble managed to scam that one too. Gmaxwell and I warned people (not just here but on IRC too) not to give any money to pirate because it was a scam. It didn't help because, I guess, people can't learn lessons from history. When they started complaining to the FTC I also told them that would have limited success because of the nature of FTC investigations. The FTC supports business and helps them recover from mistakes. They're not in the business of crippling Amercian industry.

At this point the money given to BFL is lost. There is no government "white knight" that's going to ride in and give everyone back their lost money (hell, it's been spent on attorneys now so there's nothing to give back). All you can do is go for revenge. If someone can discover a crime committed that comes under the jurisdiction of a punitive agency then you can get revenge. The IRS can be punitive but they're really just about money. As long as they get their cut they will leave you alone. That cut of the cash can come at any time too, even after the fact, as long as you pay penalties and interest. You need to catch them breaking a law that gun toting cops can arrest them for and put them in jail.

BTW: Don't bother with the FCC either because those aren't gun toting cops. All they do is deliver fines which will give even more of the preorder money to the government.

Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 04:53:26 PM

The FTC was not able to completely shutdown BFL. Other than that, the FTC has already won 4 major victories:

1. Shutdown BFL for long enough that other companies have far superior products available for immediate purchase.
2. BFL cannot take pre-orders ever again.
3. BFL must provide prompt refunds to anyone who asks.
4. FTC's lawsuit against BFL will continue.

BFL's product is uncompetitive. They have no way to fund new products. BFL is finished. Celebrate!

Buy & Hold
bitcoinvest
Legendary

Activity: 1124
Merit: 1000

13eJ4feC39JzbdY2K9W3ytQzWhunsxL83X

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 05:02:18 PM

In my case i had 2 orders. I paid 120 BTC and 109.
I canceled my order and gave me back 27 btc( i ask to get my full refund because i paid with btc and told me in Skype that's not going to happen.... when i informed him that terms and conditions are not refering to that told me i'm sorry we are going to write it....) and the other arrived 1 year later and as you can understand was useless....

what do you think i should do???
jh7phone

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 05:08:46 PM

I emailed office@butterflylabs.com requesting my FULL BTC refund today, for them to keep 5/6 of my coins is criminal. We'll see how that goes.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 05:25:32 PM

I emailed office@butterflylabs.com requesting my FULL BTC refund today, for them to keep 5/6 of my coins is criminal. We'll see how that goes.

Here's what will happen if too many people ask for refunds at once.

Chapter 7 – Chapter 7 is a bankruptcy option for debtors that do not have the means to restructure their obligations and continue in business.  In Chapter 7, a trustee is appointed, available assets are sold, and creditors are paid to the extent funds are available.  Partnerships, limited liability companies, and corporations are all eligible to file bankruptcy under Chapter 7.  Depending on their income, individuals who own and operate small businesses as sole proprietorships also may file bankruptcy under Chapter 7.

Chapter 13 – Chapter 13 can be a restructuring option for small businesses owned and operated by individuals (that is, sole proprietorships).  Only individuals may file Chapter 13, so it is not an option for businesses operated through partnerships, limited liability companies, or corporations.  Chapter 13 eligibility is also subject to debt limits.  Currently, an individual cannot file Chapter 13 if he or she owes more than $383,175 in unsecured debt or $1,149,525 in secured debt.

Chapter 11 – The other bankruptcy option for small businesses is Chapter 11.  Chapter 11 is the bankruptcy option for a small business seeking to restructure and continue in operation if it is owned by a partnership, limited liability company, or corporation.  Chapter 11 is also the only bankruptcy option for individual business debtors who want to reorganize but owe too much money to meet Chapter 13’s eligibility requirements.

ElGrandJefe

Activity: 459
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 05:25:37 PM

I'm afraid that's not going to fly. They refunded you the BTC equivalent of your order in USD, at current exchange rates, as they are required to do.

It's the same as if you paid with any other foreign currency.
bitcoinvest
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 05:38:49 PM

they took our bitcoins mine for themselves and after the units were useless they send to us....

they have to shut down and every person that is involved there has to be monitored if he tries to open a new firm etc.....
jh7phone

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 05:41:12 PM

I really wouldn't get tired of punching josh's stupid ugly face

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 05:44:17 PM

they took our bitcoins mine for themselves and after the units were useless they send to us....

they have to shut down and every person that is involved there has to be monitored if he tries to open a new firm etc.....

Yep, that's the jist of it. They amassed personal wealth at the expense of others and the American legal system protects them. Ain't America grand? I don't see any difference between this business and HSBC. They're just another collection of assholes manipulating a corrupt and broken legal system.

bitcoinvest
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 05:49:46 PM

MtGox.com and Butterflylabs.com are two cases we have to leave behind in the bitcoin community but must take back our BTC in order to do that and of course this goes more on case 1.....
jayce
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 1506

Pie Baking Contest: https://tinyurl.com/2s3z6dee

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 06:03:28 PM

So are the victims getting anything out of this? I feel like the raid is great, but should of done long time ago.. back in 2013.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
jinxx

Activity: 83

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 07:58:41 PM

i dont think you`ll get your full btc refund, just because the way you paid in btc.

but hopefully these guys will finally come to an end after this raid.
karthus

Activity: 99

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 11:21:26 PM

finally some progress on this BFL scandal. A raid is something, better then nothing.. here.

Now whats with the status on the court process with FTC.
kassadin

Activity: 99

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 01:01:46 AM

MtGox.com and Butterflylabs.com are two cases we have to leave behind in the bitcoin community but must take back our BTC in order to do that and of course this goes more on case 1.....

Yeah, but because of that we got like new comers like GAWminers who doing a similar setup.

And now its like all these cloud service sites popping like with free stupid giveaways.
bitcoinvest
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 03:14:33 PM

and in case of MtGox we have news! 1st of the year for a major Japanese newspaper that claims of 99% Missing Mt Gox Bitcoins Likely an Inside Job, Say Japanese Police.....
more news will come on 3rd of Janunary...in 2 days....

let's see what will happen... it seems to me that M.K. will have to give everything back within weeks if is the brain of this job....
and his masterplan has failed to take our btc and run away.. Smiley
kennenman

Activity: 109

Blockpoker Team | Kenneth | Designer

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2015, 10:03:24 PM

I still dont get why the owner of mt.gox isnt behind bars or serving time.. is japans law really that different?

As for the BFL situation, they really need to fine Josh already and take everything they havent.
sudexx

Activity: 70

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 02:42:52 AM

I still dont get why the owner of mt.gox isnt behind bars or serving time.. is japans law really that different?

As for the BFL situation, they really need to fine Josh already and take everything they havent.

Why isn't Josh behind bars too?
Furio
Legendary

Activity: 938

BTC | LTC | XLM | VEN | ARDR

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 07:33:27 AM

Why isn't Josh behind bars too?

It seems that their laywers are really good, slimy folks.... So I will be surprised if he does time, maybe a big fine as maximum, you must remember, he IS white and only disadvantaged a small portion of people in America, so my guess is he will walk...

jh7phone

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 03:35:40 PM
Last edit: January 13, 2015, 03:58:57 PM by jh7phone

I got my email reply from office@butterflylabs.com it only took them "Two weeks" to tell me they are keeping 5/6 of my bitcoins.

Bye Bye 79.5BTC & oh ya... fuck you BFL! I really hope to meet Josh one day so I can thank him for the fraud.   Angry

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: