Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:43:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It really a seems like Apple is trying to protect your anonymity  (Read 3357 times)
Bitcoins101

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 11:34:46 AM

Privacy =/= anonymity. The features you described may protect your privacy to a certain level, but have nothing to do with anonymity.

Trust Apple?  You have to be kidding. John Gilmore explains this nicely:

http://boingboing.net/2014/09/20/reasons-not-to-trust-apple.html

Explain?

He doesn't use even one fact to explain anything.  It is mostly just paranoid hypotheticals.  I will grant him though, that Apple is not perfect and will probably slip on one or more of the points.  I imagine then after it is caught, it will be corrected.  To do anything otherwise would be blatant misdirection and would seriously harm Apple's reputation.  Apple definitely plays games, but not that kind.  
I agree. Apple is generally very good at keeping their word. If they say something I would trust they are telling the truth. If they are caught in a lie then their reputation would be severely damaged. Their reputation is one of their biggest assets

Apple's reputation wouldn't be damaged one lick if all their recent privacy advancements were 100% BS. You're forgetting that the average Apple customer is a 15 year old girl, not a bunch of geeky "crypto-anarchists" like you'll find on this forum. Until the Apple fad dies, they'll be very popular, regardless of what they do to their reputation among people in the know.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jabo38 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 01:45:37 PM

You're forgetting that the average Apple customer is a 15 year old girl, not a bunch of geeky "crypto-anarchists" like you'll find on this forum. Until the Apple fad dies, they'll be very popular, regardless of what they do to their reputation among people in the know.

Maybe try to visit an Apple store, or at least google "Apple Store" and scroll down past the official pics to just regular pics of regular stores on regular days.  Not a lot of 15 year old girls. 

Bitcoins101

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 06:26:02 PM

You're forgetting that the average Apple customer is a 15 year old girl, not a bunch of geeky "crypto-anarchists" like you'll find on this forum. Until the Apple fad dies, they'll be very popular, regardless of what they do to their reputation among people in the know.

Maybe try to visit an Apple store, or at least google "Apple Store" and scroll down past the official pics to just regular pics of regular stores on regular days.  Not a lot of 15 year old girls.  

Roughly 90% of girls 13-25 in my area have Apple everything - iPhone, MacBook, etc. Maybe 20-25% of guys I know locally who are "in the know" use Macs. Your picture of some low grossing doesn't Vancouver store explain anything. For all we know, that was shot during school hours. That's also about a 10-customer sample size, so it's not relevant anyway.

99% of Apple's customer base does not give two shits about privacy, regardless of their specific demographic. You may counter by saying, "Plenty of people care about privacy!", but it doesn't matter. Even if they feign a concern, they still don't even understand what privacy is (it's anonymity! Wrong.) and don't actually care, as long as they have the sleekest looking phone/tablet/laptop.

Mellnik

Activity: 242
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 08:57:22 PM

Use the free Android operating system and Google has freedom to collect all your data and sell to the highest bidder.

What data are you referring to? Don't see any other valuable stuff than GMAIL.
a447513372

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

DLISK - Next Generation Coin

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 11:36:05 PM

Privacy =/= anonymity. The features you described may protect your privacy to a certain level, but have nothing to do with anonymity.

Explain?

He doesn't use even one fact to explain anything.  It is mostly just paranoid hypotheticals.  I will grant him though, that Apple is not perfect and will probably slip on one or more of the points.  I imagine then after it is caught, it will be corrected.  To do anything otherwise would be blatant misdirection and would seriously harm Apple's reputation.  Apple definitely plays games, but not that kind.  
I agree. Apple is generally very good at keeping their word. If they say something I would trust they are telling the truth. If they are caught in a lie then their reputation would be severely damaged. Their reputation is one of their biggest assets

Apple's reputation wouldn't be damaged one lick if all their recent privacy advancements were 100% BS. You're forgetting that the average Apple customer is a 15 year old girl, not a bunch of geeky "crypto-anarchists" like you'll find on this forum. Until the Apple fad dies, they'll be very popular, regardless of what they do to their reputation among people in the know.
I don't think you are correct regarding the average apple customer. Apple products are very expensive and the income level of apple customer is higher then the national average. Apple is also expanding into other "sub markets" with their iPhones (for example corporate customers) so their retail customers matter less to them.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄▄
     ▄████▀ ▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀ ▄▄▀▀      ████  ▀▀▄▄ ▀▀███▄
  ████ ▄███████████████      ▀█  ████
 ███▀ ▄██████████████████      █  ▀███
▄███            ████ ████      ▀█ ███▄
███ ▄█           ████  ████      █▄ ███
███            ████   ████       █ ███
███ ▀█          ████  ████       █▀ ███
▀▀▀▀           █████████       ▄█ ███▀
 ██████████████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀ ▄███
  ██████████████████████████████████
    ▄▄▄▄  ▀▄▄       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀████▀
     ▀████▄ ▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀ ▄████▀
       ▀▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀▀

████                ▄████
    ████████████████                ████   ▄▄███████████████          ▄█████▀
   ██████████████████               ██▀▀ ██████████████████        ▄█████▀
             ▀████████             ███ ████▀                    ▄█████▀
             ▄█████████            ██▀ ███▀                  ▄█████▀
             ████ ▀████           ███ ████▄               ▄█████▀
             ████  ████           ███▄ ██████████████▀ ▄█████▀
            ████  ▄████           ████  ▀████████████▄ ▀█████▄
            ████ ▄████           ████               ▀██▄  █████▄
            ████████▀            ████               ▄████   █████▄
           ███████▀            ███▀              ▄█████▀     █████▄
 ██████████████████████████████ ███ ▄█████████████████▀         █████▄
█████████████▀▀▀██████████████ ▄██ ▄████████████████▀             █████▄

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Window2Wall

Activity: 191
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 01:54:19 AM

Maybe try to visit an Apple store, or at least google "Apple Store" and scroll down past the official pics to just regular pics of regular stores on regular days.  Not a lot of 15 year old girls.  

Roughly 90% of girls 13-25 in my area have Apple everything - iPhone, MacBook, etc. Maybe 20-25% of guys I know locally who are "in the know" use Macs. Your picture of some low grossing doesn't Vancouver store explain anything. For all we know, that was shot during school hours. That's also about a 10-customer sample size, so it's not relevant anyway.

99% of Apple's customer base does not give two shits about privacy, regardless of their specific demographic. You may counter by saying, "Plenty of people care about privacy!", but it doesn't matter. Even if they feign a concern, they still don't even understand what privacy is (it's anonymity! Wrong.) and don't actually care, as long as they have the sleekest looking phone/tablet/laptop.
I disagree. I think there are plenty of people that care about and wish for privacy. They may demand it in the same way that your typical bitcoin user will (nor will they go to the same lengths to achieve privacy/anonymity) however all else being equal they will choose privacy over not having privacy. Take for example the percentage of people who use a PIN/password on their phone, it is almost everyone, the purpose of this is to prevent random people from snooping around their phone in the event they 'find' it
Some1else0

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 07:01:25 PM

If Apple's goal is truly anonymity then they should definitely look into Bitcoin integration.
mnmShadyBTC

Activity: 151

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 08:13:31 PM

Use the free Android operating system and Google has freedom to collect all your data and sell to the highest bidder.

What data are you referring to? Don't see any other valuable stuff than GMAIL.
Google collects what you search for (aka your search history). They also offer products like google drive and google docs that store your documents for you. They also could use google maps to track the places that you go if you also use your android cell phone as a gps

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience - PRIMEDICE 3 HAS LAUNCHED @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
jabo38 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2014, 04:00:34 AM

Google defends itself and says it is better than Apple. 

http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2014/10/03/qmb-romans-intv-rosenberg-schmidt-google-security.cnn.html

Bitcoins101

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 04:25:34 AM

Explain?

I don't think you are correct regarding the average apple customer. Apple products are very expensive and the income level of apple customer is higher then the national average. Apple is also expanding into other "sub markets" with their iPhones (for example corporate customers) so their retail customers matter less to them.

Of course, but what does that have to do with Apple customers actually caring about privacy?

It's a common fallacy to think everyone else is just like you and shares similar priorities, because you hang out with people all day who share certain knowledge and priorities. The knowledge of an average forum member here about Internet privacy is multitudes greater than what you'll see out in real life. People are clueless - they really are.

I disagree. I think there are plenty of people that care about and wish for privacy. They may demand it in the same way that your typical bitcoin user will (nor will they go to the same lengths to achieve privacy/anonymity) however all else being equal they will choose privacy over not having privacy. Take for example the percentage of people who use a PIN/password on their phone, it is almost everyone, the purpose of this is to prevent random people from snooping around their phone in the event they 'find' it

Actually, it's probably more like 50% or less.

The pin is likely so someone who finds it can't look at all their nudes that they store on the notably secure iCloud.

If you use iCloud, the closed-source encryption is essentially worthless.

SF-Man

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 05:37:51 AM

It is.. It is better than apple.. Google gives you everything internet has to offer with very simple yet helpful design.

DaveSaldana123

Activity: 135

A.K.A The Black Marvel

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 05:16:13 AM

It is.. It is better than apple.. Google gives you everything internet has to offer with very simple yet helpful design.

Im all for Google. Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: