Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 01:42:36 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: is the government going to copy bitcoin and leave us high and dry ?  (Read 2931 times)
mannedmssn2M (OP)

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 01:28:19 PM

is there this possibility that bitcoin is bought out this other guy seems to think so. I personally will stand and fight as a bitcoin soldier if i have to in order to protect this decentralized freedom from the wealthy 1%

ya im a Jr member aka newb w a title but
I personally stand to protect bitcoin from corruption, and destruction
who's with me...
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2014, 01:30:31 PM

i hope the US gov tries to buy all bitcoin  Tongue

(no, not possible)

Ektra

Activity: 137
Merit: 106

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 01:35:23 PM

It seems like an obvious thing to try. Let's see how Ecuador's thing pans out...
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 01:41:26 PM

is there this possibility that bitcoin is bought out this other guy seems to think so. I personally will stand and fight as a bitcoin soldier if i have to in order to protect this decentralized freedom from the wealthy 1%

who's with me...

Some of the core principles that embody the the protocol and the Raison d'être for Bitcoin are about promoting decentralization and shifting the balance of power.

One can only hope that governments copy Bitcoin or adopt it because that fulfills our goals. Being that anarchistic protocols are inherently dangerous for governments they would more likely adopt an inflationary version of PoS or DPoS over Bitcoin however because a long term deflationary PoW currency isn't as profitable and controllable for them.

mannedmssn2M (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 01:48:44 PM

who's with me...

Some of the core principles that embody the the protocol and the Raison d'être for Bitcoin are about promoting decentralization and shifting the balance of power.

One can only hope that governments copy Bitcoin or adopt it because that fulfills our goals. Being that anarchistic protocols are inherently dangerous for governments they would more likely adopt an inflationary version of PoS or DPoS over Bitcoin however because a long term deflationary PoW currency isn't as profitable and controllable for them.

whaa way to go yo  that economics course really payed off huh lol Smiley
bitcoin to mars everyone (hence the marscoin) I am giving out promotional mars coins anyone for an idea as to how best going about that?
MTJ151

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 02:09:56 PM

I think the OP raises a good point. The government often tries to co-opt things it can't control.

No idea how they would do it though/if it's even possible/would be a bad thing for cryptos in general.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 02:10:34 PM

bitcoin to mars everyone (hence the marscoin) I am giving out promotional mars coins anyone for an idea as to how best going about that?

While unlikely that governments will copy Bitcoin(Ripple, PoS, and DPoS would suit them better), other opportunists will likely copy it, rebrand it, and than spam investors with their alt on the Bitcoin forum. Of course you wouldn't be trying to do this as you genuinely care about bitcoin and understand that Bitcoin is better suited to accomplishing our goals whether they be raising our standard of living or colonizing mars.

mannedmssn2M (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 02:29:15 PM

While unlikely that governments will copy Bitcoin(Ripple, PoS, and DPoS would suit them better), other opportunists will likely copy it, rebrand it, and than spam investors with their alt on the Bitcoin forum. Of course you wouldn't be trying to do this as you genuinely care about bitcoin and understand that Bitcoin is better suited to accomplishing our goals whether they be raising our standard of living or colonizing mars.

no i dont think i was trying to do anything malicious but I am giving out marscoins because its what i have an abundance of and feel will be worth something in the future regardless of or accompanied by bitcoins. I think that it is a general interest in digital currency that im promoting, yes I realized my user name but I really am "genuinely here to help bitcoin like my other post shows I am showing the public how to use QR codes, something that bitcoin utilizes. This flier that i made has in the background qr codes that lead to bitcoin.com Wink  but i get it.. ill try an keep the marscoins on the dl here on the bitcoin forum other than this post obviously

(discover, what are ?QRcodes?) sponsored by me
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=790039.0
Miracal

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 03:31:07 PM

Impossible! If the gov copies bitcoin, it means they acknowledge bitcoin as an official currency co-existing with fiat. It will severely hurt the fiat's status. People may be dumping fiat to bitcoin, which will cause our financial system a bit chaos.
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 07:22:35 PM

If a gov copies a cryptocurrency, they will have to have centralized mining control, which defeats its purpose entirely. So, good luck with that one, governments.
zorke

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 11:44:49 PM

The government has very little to want to "copy" any kind of crypto coin. First of all if they were to create their own alt coin they would be giving up control of their money supply which they generally do not wish to do. Even if they were willing to give up this control, they have no reason not to embrace bitcoin which is already successful and secure, more so then what any government created altcoin would likely be.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 11:46:39 PM

MintChip=FAIL

knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 12:13:00 AM

In that case we'll just leave the government high and dry.

zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 12:59:17 AM

they'd fail if they tried, because the strongest feature of bitcoin is the fact that it is DECENTRALIZED.

any government or corporation who tries to copy it will fail.
NEM minnow

Activity: 104

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 01:02:41 PM

In 20 years from now, I am guessing lots of countries will have blockchain backed currencies.  (doubt it will be a bitcoin clone)

For a government there are many advantages, especially knowing exactly what every transaction is at all times.  All it would take is that the seeds for wallets would come from Government websites and a person couldn't get a seed without using their name, address, and ID number. 

Oops, hope I didn't give them any ideas.
Oscilson

Activity: 434

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 01:08:26 PM

I am happy for BTC to be bought by any governments. We will create another one.
mlferro

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 01:30:43 PM

interesting

realbtcdealers4real

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 01:53:20 PM

Impossible! If the gov copies bitcoin, it means they acknowledge bitcoin as an official currency co-existing with fiat. It will severely hurt the fiat's status. People may be dumping fiat to bitcoin, which will cause our financial system a bit chaos.
They'll somehow come up with a way to make their cryptocurrency more stable than Bitcoin, plus it will be backed by institutions and armies oficially and fully, this will allow for more stability. People is scared to death to put their fiat into Bitcoin and this is pretty much the only way to obtain Bitcoin. This is a big problem, and we are seeing it in the price.
Eotnak

Activity: 117

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 02:01:14 PM

LOL why would "the government" do this?
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 02:10:40 PM

LOL why would "the government" do this?

They already did do it and it already failed.

http://developer.mintchipchallenge.com

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: