Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:27:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Yep, its all fun n games till the FTC gets a phone call...  (Read 3676 times)
Icon (OP)

Activity: 821
Merit: 503

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 04:27:44 PM
Last edit: September 23, 2014, 07:17:07 PM by Icon

http://www.coindesk.com/us-government-shuts-embattled-mining-firm-butterfly-labs/

Icon

PS

I am just glade BFL sent me a full refund before they got shut down..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 05:02:02 PM

About time. Outfits like this one are one of the biggest problems in the bit coin world. Not only do they chase people away from bit coin but they also make it tougher for legitimate business people to operate.   

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4447

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 05:08:57 PM

finally some common sense.

customer protection laws working great. even without regulation.. this bit of news should be used as to the fact that if existant laws are actually utilised properly, then no new laws are needed.

customers already have legal protections. im just glad courts are finally applying them to bitcoin businesses, instead of drumming up crap new laws at major expense.

goodbye butterfly labs, we will NOT miss you

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2014, 05:20:46 PM

and welcome here:

Grin

mrpark

Activity: 364

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 05:29:51 PM

When I got the call from BFL to exchange my order to "buy another person's pre-order" that set off a few red flags.  And, "sorry your card is late" so here is a coupon for 50% off.  It got so complicated, they couldn't even keep track of it. They didn't want to give me a refund on the card that was 50% off, after a big fight they gave in... Anyway, I got 100% of my money back on 2 cards, but wasted a ton of time with them. Glad to see them shut down.

BTC: 1JDjCGtxtxoZ46XgTqUoXBDxNFKwcsEmik
jjc326

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 05:33:41 PM

Amazing it took this long.

Nice to see the owners getting named individually as well.  One question I foresee though is that I bet a lot of BFL's assets are held in Bitcoin.  How will the FTC be able to obtain the ill-gotten Bitcoin?  Here is an issue that has been discussed in this forum a lot - let's see if the FTC is smart enough to track and obtain some of BFL's Bitcoins, or if the BFL scammers hid them.
HELP.org

Activity: 510

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2014, 05:37:37 PM

You have all these complaints from Bitcoin users so expect more BitLicense-type proposals.

Certified Bitcoin Professional
Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2014, 06:11:50 PM

Here's the court flling.

The named individuals are Darla Drake, Nasser Ghoseiri, and Sonny Vleisides.

The court imposed an asset freeze, not just on the company, but on those individuals. "Piercing the corporate veil" has already happened. Eventually, there will be partial refunds from whatever assets the FTC can find. This is a more severe action than the FTC usually takes.  It's not just "cease and desist".

This is a routine action by the FTC for "mail/online order company took money and didn't deliver".  It has nothing to do with Bitcoin.  The FTC does this regularly to sleazy mail and online order companies, which is why, when you order stuff online, it almost always shows up, even from little businesses with no reputation.
HELP.org

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2014, 06:28:53 PM

This is a routine action by the FTC for "mail/online order company took money and didn't deliver".  It has nothing to do with Bitcoin.  The FTC does this regularly to sleazy mail and online order companies, which is why, when you order stuff online, it almost always shows up, even from little businesses with no reputation.

It has a lot to do with Bitcoin from the perspective of a regulator.  BFL was advertised heavily and promoted on this forum and the advertising income was most likely never reported, at one point the Bitcoin Foundation (Gavin) said he believe the problems with BFL were just technical issues (I almost ordered when he said that in early 2013), and it appears BFL operates Bitcoinmining.com and made that video which is linked from bitcoin.org. 

Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
Singlebyte

Activity: 854

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 06:40:51 PM

Good news just keeps rolling in today!
nkocevar

Activity: 294

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 06:50:06 PM

Im so glad I never shelled out the cash to buy a BFL miner. I was convinving everyone I knew that I could double their money in less than 90 days when asics first came out.... I would be owing them now  Embarrassed

Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2014, 07:22:19 PM

and welcome here:

Grin

No animals belong in cages, least of all social animals like primates, including Homo Sapiens.

Dungeons are a primitive and barbaric non-solution to the problems of poor societal design.

A nasty leftover from the feudal age that should have fallen by the wayside with the Divine Right of Kings.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4447

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 07:45:04 PM

is sonny's probation still active, as this case will definetly be another strike against his name

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Blinken

Activity: 338
Merit: 253

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 07:47:44 PM

miner nightmares

Bitcoin ♦♦♦ Trust in Mathematics, Not Bankers ♦♦♦
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 08:06:19 PM
Last edit: September 23, 2014, 09:32:17 PM by Kluge

Mined bitcoin, now mined for bitchcoin. Cry
Beans

Activity: 518

View Profile
September 23, 2014, 09:28:53 PM

Im so glad I never shelled out the cash to buy a BFL miner. I was convinving everyone I knew that I could double their money in less than 90 days when asics first came out.... I would be owing them now  Embarrassed

You received a lot more then double your money if you ordered the 60gh units early on. Downhill after that though.
ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1814
Merit: 2727

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2014, 09:31:19 PM
Last edit: September 23, 2014, 10:02:35 PM by ibminer

Between the PayPal deal, BFL getting shutdown and BTC spiking.....

zorke

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 12:27:29 AM

It has a lot to do with Bitcoin from the perspective of a regulator.  BFL was advertised heavily and promoted on this forum and the advertising income was most likely never reported, at one point the Bitcoin Foundation (Gavin) said he believe the problems with BFL were just technical issues (I almost ordered when he said that in early 2013), and it appears BFL operates Bitcoinmining.com and made that video which is linked from bitcoin.org. 
I would say that Gavin likely did not know the extent that BFL was mining pre-ordered devices, as it was reported by BFL they were having technical issues developing the machines when in reality they were making a lot of money from the machines being built.

AFAIK theymos files taxes on behalf of the forum and I would assume he would pay taxes on behalf of the forum for any ad revenue received
HELP.org

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 01:10:55 AM

I would say that Gavin likely did not know the extent that BFL was mining pre-ordered devices, as it was reported by BFL they were having technical issues developing the machines when in reality they were making a lot of money from the machines being built.

AFAIK theymos files taxes on behalf of the forum and I would assume he would pay taxes on behalf of the forum for any ad revenue received

It is hard to say who knew what at the Foundation but it is their job to know as they say their mission is to promote Bitcoin.  They received numerous complaints that is for sure. 

As for the money collected by the forum for the ads hopefully some of those funds can be recovered and used to repay some of the victims.  I have seen all kinds of discussion about collecting revenue from ads but I have never seen any discussion of cashing in those Bitcoins to pay the taxes.  Someone has to pay those agencies that are shutting down BFL so the people who run the forum should pay their fair share instead of pushing the costs off on others.

Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
Acidyo

Activity: 588

Will Bitcoin Rise Again to $60,000?

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 01:17:01 AM

and welcome here:

Grin

As much as I would like to see Josh and his scumbag partners from BFL end up in prison I doubt it will actually happen. I don't think they broke any criminal laws (only consumer protection laws).
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: