Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:15:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Chart reading.  (Read 2311 times)
John S. (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 11:21:22 PM

What is the standard method for reading charts and predicting market movements based on them?

What does this community use?
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 05:26:54 AM

What is the standard method for reading charts and predicting market movements based on them?

Before the great bubble of '11, it was all log charts and straight lines.  Now it's non-log and triangles.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2012, 05:33:28 AM

Before the great bubble of '11, it was all log charts and straight lines.  Now it's non-log and triangles.
lol!

yup drawing lines on a chart always make me trade with more confidence Wink

S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 05:43:36 PM

Typically, you'd use log charts for longer term time frames (particularly when it involves exponential moves) and linear charts for the shorter term.

MarketNeutral

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 05:57:46 PM

Technical analysis is a very finessed artform. Personally, I think its limited value derives mostly from understanding how high-volume algos and plunge protection teams paint the charts. It's possible to glean some insight into where certain boundaries are, but one must always think outside the box. For example, why use a 200 dma when a 88 dma might be more helpful? Seems strange, but why is the 88 dma more helpful? Connect it to fundamental analysis and then you might make some money. TA informs fundamental analysis, but I would never rely on TA exclusively. In fact, I think it is very overrated. Rarely is it anything more than amateurish backwards-looking pretty pictures that sell subscriptions.

In terms of bitcoin, I don't have any opinion yet.

I suggest learning Japanese candlesticks and another method of your choosing. Don't learn just one.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050

You are WRONG!

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 06:18:51 PM

Crystal balls and related methods.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
MarketNeutral

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 06:20:51 PM

This is the best method:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haruspex
 Shocked
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 06:37:37 PM

Technical analysis is a very finessed artform. Personally, I think its limited value derives mostly from understanding how high-volume algos and plunge protection teams paint the charts. It's possible to glean some insight into where certain boundaries are, but one must always think outside the box.

i call it learning how to think like a criminal.  it is important and i mix 30% fundamentals in with 70% technicals.

For example, why use a 200 dma when a 88 dma might be more helpful? Seems strange, but why is the 88 dma more helpful? Connect it to fundamental analysis and then you might make some money. TA informs fundamental analysis, but I would never rely on TA exclusively. In fact, I think it is very overrated. Rarely is it anything more than amateurish backwards-looking pretty pictures that sell subscriptions.

to each his own but i've proven it to myself that it is indeed possible to pick major corners using TA.  its much harder to call the short term twists and turns.  but it is an artform that requires alot of work and precision.  cycle theory is dependent on alot of statistical work and historical analysis.  it can be painstaking but its worth it.

I suggest learning Japanese candlesticks and another method of your choosing. Don't learn just one.

i am in the process of determining average cycle lengths for Bitcoin and i've come to some very interesting conclusions.
MarketNeutral

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 06:50:46 PM

Technical analysis is a very finessed artform. Personally, I think its limited value derives mostly from understanding how high-volume algos and plunge protection teams paint the charts. It's possible to glean some insight into where certain boundaries are, but one must always think outside the box.

i call it learning how to think like a criminal.  it is important and i mix 30% fundamentals in with 70% technicals.

For example, why use a 200 dma when a 88 dma might be more helpful? Seems strange, but why is the 88 dma more helpful? Connect it to fundamental analysis and then you might make some money. TA informs fundamental analysis, but I would never rely on TA exclusively. In fact, I think it is very overrated. Rarely is it anything more than amateurish backwards-looking pretty pictures that sell subscriptions.

to each his own but i've proven it to myself that it is indeed possible to pick major corners using TA.  its much harder to call the short term twists and turns.  but it is an artform that requires alot of work and precision.  cycle theory is dependent on alot of statistical work and historical analysis.  it can be painstaking but its worth it.

i am in the process of determining average cycle lengths for Bitcoin and i've come to some very interesting conclusions.

I have no doubt that TA can be helpful for picking major moves.

And you're right about it being dependent upon statistical and historical analysis!  Smiley

Although I find most TA experts to be charlatans, I'll be first to admit I've studied a great deal of TA from Kondratiev to Dow Theory to Martin Armstrong. I don't agree with it all, but I can see the value if done right. Just last month I used an Ichimoku cloud to help me advise one of my clients. But as you know, it's an artform, not a science.
naima53

Activity: 616
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 06:55:58 PM

I use the sense of selling pressure \ buying pressure. In conjunction with technical analysis and the "herd instinct" of players.

Donate me) 16f6iWHHkVEnDReeBQPT9GwCNwUfPTXrp2
MarketNeutral

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 07:03:32 PM

I'd be remiss not to mention the importance of market psychology and contrarian investing. See where the herd is going. Is it worth following them and riding the bubble, or is better to invest against their over-weighted positions?
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 07:07:38 PM

I'd be remiss not to mention the importance of market psychology and contrarian investing. See where the herd is going. Is it worth following them and riding the bubble, or is better to invest against their over-weighted positions?

yes, this is called "intuition".
MarketNeutral

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 07:25:06 PM

yes, this is called "intuition".
Only if you don't know what you're doing.

A great deal of such information in quantifiable. Not all of it, but enough. Visit the Wilmott forum to get an idea of how this is done. It's not easy, but a decent quant can produce high alpha low beta returns based on contrarian indicators.

I'm surprised at your response, because technical analysis can include such aspects as contrarian investing and market psychology.

S3052
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 07:26:47 PM

Based on experience, one can trade exclusively using TA. I ignore completely any news since many years, and the more I focus on TA, the better my trading got.

MarketNeutral

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 07:30:06 PM

Based on experience, one can trade exclusively using TA. I ignore completely any news since many years, and the more I focus on TA, the better my trading got.
Interesting. I've only met a few 100% pure TA traders, but all of them were successful. The ones that were not successful (>99%) were actually the ones who followed the news and other garbage financial headlines and claimed "90% TA" or something like that.
S3052
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2012, 07:40:02 PM

Interesting. I've only met a few 100% pure TA traders, but all of them were successful. The ones that were not successful (>99%) were actually the ones who followed the news and other garbage financial headlines and claimed "90% TA" or something like that.

This is spot on. Whenever I start using even only 1% of fundamentals, I get into the danger zone. This is why I have only charts on my screen, without even having a chance to read or hear the news when I am making any trading decisions.

mysteriousawake

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 08, 2012, 02:25:39 AM

I think the news was wr0te after the TA  was done .  It was planed.  Already known.  Think , The Euro Zone was meant to crash now and was known well since its beginning.  A B C.  done.  Now it recovers or fails.

What do you think.

DONT FORGET TO DONATE IF I HELPED YOU
MarketNeutral

View Profile
May 08, 2012, 03:07:20 AM

I think the news was wr0te after the TA  was done .  It was planed.  Already known.  Think , The Euro Zone was meant to crash now and was known well since its beginning.  A B C.  done.  Now it recovers or fails.

What do you think.

I think it's clear to anyone with eyes to see that financial news (Bloomberg, CNBC, etc) is never ahead of the story and exists to pump and dump and to persuade people regardless of what's in their best interest. As to your specific point, yeah, such things do happen as planned, and probably often. It's hard to prove but easy to see.
nimnul

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2012, 07:53:50 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2012, 10:05:01 AM by nimnul

Some people use R, which doesn't seem to be related.

cytokine
Donator

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 03:51:43 AM
Last edit: May 30, 2012, 04:24:21 AM by cytokine

I highly recommend Evidence-Based Technical Analysis: Applying the Scientific Method and Statistical Inference to Trading Signals.

The problem most CMT's have in my experience is that they don't do rigorous statistical analysis of their methodology.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: