Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 01:35:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] breadwallet, first bitcoin network client for iOS, first BIP32 SPV client  (Read 29480 times)
JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 01:45:23 PM

I tried to import a private key and that "import" (sending from old address to my bread wallet) was never confirmed. So I had to send it manually. This was caused by very low fees. It would be very, very great if user could set fees manually.

I've chosen to move to CoPay for now until we can choose from a higher priority fee structure (50, 100, or 500 bits per KB).

As soon as something similar is built into Breadwallet I'll be using it as a primary mobile wallet again!

merlinbfd

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 02:08:45 AM

Started using this wallet today, so far so good. Nice, clean, easy and simple  Smiley
tmltd

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 04:24:27 PM

Thanks for developing this awesome wallet!

I started using the wallet and it provides the best user experience that i have seen so far in BTC wallets.

As i understand the wallet each time it receives or sends bitcoins creates a new address. Can we use a previous address created by the wallet to receive bitcoins if a new one has created ?

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ Cloudmining 101: how to avoid scams / ponzis  ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁
####### Never ever invest more than you can afford to lose #######
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 06:22:42 PM

Thanks for developing this awesome wallet!

I started using the wallet and it provides the best user experience that i have seen so far in BTC wallets.

As i understand the wallet each time it receives or sends bitcoins creates a new address. Can we use a previous address created by the wallet to receive bitcoins if a new one has created ?

Yes, you can reuse addresses, although that's not recommended. If you receive further payments to "old" addresses, you will still receive the funds, of course.

Just wanted to give some feedback for this last update. The notification center widget is just amazing! Pretty handy and works perfectly, thank you.
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 09:57:38 PM

Just wanted to give some feedback for this last update. The notification center widget is just amazing! Pretty handy and works perfectly, thank you.

+1 ... Widget is really awesome!

BTW: How is lock-screen notification suppose to look like?

I only get badge number on top of breadwallet icon even though "Show on Lock Screen" is turned on. I never get any breadwallet message on lock screen.

Can someone make a screenshot? Any idea what am i missing?
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 04:26:43 PM

I only get badge number on top of breadwallet icon even though "Show on Lock Screen" is turned on. I never get any breadwallet message on lock screen.

I remember seeing something related to notifications for receiving funds on a previous update, but the behavior I've seen in every iOS device is just a badge, really, so I think it's default. Since my online wallet has only spare change all the time (I don't use it that much), I never really bothered, but since we're talking about that, it would be nice to know more about it. I also have the same behavior as you, everything on, but only a badge on the app appears.
tmltd

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 02:19:23 PM
Last edit: September 06, 2015, 02:43:28 PM by tmltd

I have the 0.5.2 version installed and during the coinwallet.eu stress test period I had no problems or delays to send BTC from my wallet to others, so far, with the tx fees calculated by the Bread Wallet. I also like how the wallet automatically subtract tx fees when i transfer the entire balance or if the balance after the transfer amount you enter is lower than the needed tx fees the wallet adjusts the amounts automatically for you.
Worked as usual even in stress test times.

Wed
Legendary

Activity: 1231
Merit: 1018

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 06:39:45 AM

I've made other experiences.
I had to wait 2-3 Blocks until my transaction was confirmed.
Wanted to sell some bitcoins, we had to wait about 2 hours in a local starbucks. Wasn't that funny Cheesy
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 06:26:42 PM

A relevant info for this thread, regarding current talk about BIP's and big blocks: https://twitter.com/breadwalletapp/status/636548340595843072
abercrombie
Legendary

Activity: 1159
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 02:07:26 AM

I've made other experiences.
I had to wait 2-3 Blocks until my transaction was confirmed.
Wanted to sell some bitcoins, we had to wait about 2 hours in a local starbucks. Wasn't that funny Cheesy
Done a bunch of local trades.  Initially, I wanted to wait for a confirmation when I started.

But now, once it hits the blockchain unconfirmed and there is no double spend detected, that is good enough for me.
voisine (OP)

Activity: 115
Merit: 19

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 03:08:57 PM

Sorry for the late response. For now the app only shows a badge icon. If we show the amount of a transaction in a notification, that would be a privacy concern. I suppose we could have the option to display tx amounts in notifications but keep it off by default.
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 06:32:14 PM

Sorry for the late response. For now the app only shows a badge icon. If we show the amount of a transaction in a notification, that would be a privacy concern. I suppose we could have the option to display tx amounts in notifications but keep it off by default.

It would be interesting if the app could see if iOS has "Private Notification" settings activated, and warn the user according to that, but I'm not sure if iOS tools and API's allow that.

An option like the one you referred is simple and effective... "Show transaction amount on notification?". I'd definitely choose Yes. My phone is always with me, and I can simply see the notification privately on my Apple Watch and dismiss it, knowing the amount that entered on the wallet.

Also, breadwallet has been throttling fees very nicely during this "stress test" Smiley Had to pay for some goods during the day and the transaction confirmed on the next block, with 123 bits fee (3 cents) Smiley
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 07:59:53 PM

Thanks for chiming in. Keeping amounts off by default is a very good idea. If user decides to see amounts directly in notifications, that's a nice feature to have... but otherwise notifications could display just something like "New payment has arrived." (without specifying any amount).

Keep up the good work!
tmltd

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 05:05:55 PM

How does breadwallet handles the malleability attack ?

EDIT: you can read about this new ongoing attack here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1198032.0

unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 05:47:44 PM

EDIT: you can read about this new ongoing attack here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1198032.0

Pretty well, I'd say. It shows both transactions, one saying "INVALID". Doesn't seemed to be confused with the 2 different hashes Smiley

Besides the invalid warning, if you open more info on the transaction it says "double spend" on the status part.
voisine (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 05:49:49 PM

Breadwallet currently handles tx malleability like a double-spend attempt. The malleated tx will be displayed in your tx history marked "invalid". Once one or the other tx is confirmed, the remaining one will be ejected from the mempools of connected peers and then be removed from your breadwallet history. Your wallet balance will remain correct throughout.
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 06:25:39 PM

voisine, since you're around, I'd like to call the attention to this issue on the other breadwallet thread (don't know why people don't simply move discussion to here... but that's another topic Cheesy)

Although I think I'm not quite following the user's issue, it seems that seed data is somehow stored on iTunes, outside of a phone backup. Is that correct? if yes, isn't that another place to search for vulnerabilities regarding finding out what is one's seed? I don't know exactly how is iTunes data encrypted and although stealing a seed from iTunes data might seem tricky or something that probably no one will try, it's something that I find relevant to discuss...

And what about phone backups? Are they handled the same way? breadwallet data certainly goes on those, I guess.
voisine (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 09:05:28 PM

voisine, since you're around, I'd like to call the attention to this issue on the other breadwallet thread (don't know why people don't simply move discussion to here... but that's another topic Cheesy)

Although I think I'm not quite following the user's issue, it seems that seed data is somehow stored on iTunes, outside of a phone backup. Is that correct? if yes, isn't that another place to search for vulnerabilities regarding finding out what is one's seed? I don't know exactly how is iTunes data encrypted and although stealing a seed from iTunes data might seem tricky or something that probably no one will try, it's something that I find relevant to discuss...

And what about phone backups? Are they handled the same way? breadwallet data certainly goes on those, I guess.

The wallet seed is stored in the iOS keychain, marked "this device only". This means that you can only restore it from backup to the same device it was created on, so you are protected even if an attacker hacks your iCloud account or gets ahold of your iTunes backups.
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 09:10:33 PM

The wallet seed is stored in the iOS keychain, marked "this device only". This means that you can only restore it from backup to the same device it was created on, so you are protected even if an attacker hacks your iCloud account or gets ahold of your iTunes backups.

Wasn't aware of that, thanks Smiley
TryNinja
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 7106

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2015, 12:24:11 AM

Do you plan to make a version for android? I will use this wallet for sure on my S5. But I don't have a IPhone  Sad

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████