Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:49:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stop using the term "weak hands"  (Read 5091 times)
blitzbad

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 03:22:15 PM

You definitely have made a loss, even if you haven't actually sold.

LOL

No, I haven't made a loss. I did however make a profit when I held my $68 coins after they crashed from $266 all the way down to $50, didn't panic, sold a few for $155 on a "dead cat" bounce, and bought back in at $97, and held when they crashed down to $66.

Good thing I didn't sell and "realize" a loss.

Sometimes I think that around here common sense is as rare as a bear with a 3-digit IQ.

Sigh.

why not say that you bought your coins at $0.01? so you can tell your same double profit good story when bitcoin hit $0.02 later

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 09:02:31 PM

they are losing money if they are holding btc. 

You only lose when you sell for less than you paid.

Nobody has ever lost money by holding.

Are you literally stupid?

I mean literally, like IQ under 90?

Because you do realise what unrealised losses are?

Or not?

How dumb are you?

I have often marvelled at the stupidity of Dumbotoronto.

It is like the level of intelligence behind the entity posting as Jimbotoronto, is some kind of AI bot, randomly blurting out vague bulltard cliches that can be interpreted to fit practically every different scenario, but of course, shed light or offer insight on none.

If I am wrong, and JimboToronto is a real person, then perhaps his stupidity is worthy of scientific research. Perhaps he is an example of a genetic throwback from the pre Homo-Sapiens era of our evolutionary path?

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 05:19:25 PM

This claim is completely false, though I am currently holding. See my chart here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=807524.msg9075582#msg9075582
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 05:31:33 PM

Really how so sure? What price did I buy?

redhawk979

Activity: 271
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 09:16:38 PM

"Weak Hands" are looking like "Smart Hands" each day that passes the way things are going.

By the way the "Calling the bottom at 350" threads are now outdated, lets get some more "Calling the bottom at 300" threads  going until Monday.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 09:22:33 PM

Please stop with this already. It's an unrealized loss, which doesn't make it any less real.

unrealized... how do you know that it won't go up again? magic ass ball? that thing is true, but maybe the sentence is not completed, i repeat it here

until there is a chance to go up again, you won't lose anything if you just hold and don't sell for less than you paid

Or not?

How dumb are you?

read above and tell me how much is your QI now, i think is lower than 90, probably the same number without the zero
jcoin200 (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 09:25:03 PM

"Weak Hands" are looking like "Smart Hands" each day that passes the way things are going.

By the way the "Calling the bottom at 350" threads are now outdated, lets get some more "Calling the bottom at 300" threads  going until Monday.

Thank you. Clearly the amount of price manipulation dine by mt gox has still not been priced in. I think prices will continue to sink diwn to around $200 or more by the end of the year. There is just absolutely no demand for btc at all. Only in the minds of the bulls in this forum. I dont think overall usage is up either. Yes more wallets are in existance, but coinbase creates a new ine for you like every week or so automatically. Using the "more wallets in existance" is a very bad way to track usage. I think all the new metchanys have done is get some holders to spend some btc, while not managing ti attract any new interest by the general public
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 09:26:22 PM

That didn't answer my question.

TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 09:31:22 PM

By the way the "Calling the bottom at 350" threads are now outdated, lets get some more "Calling the bottom at 300" threads  going until Monday.

Thank you. Clearly the amount of price manipulation dine by mt gox has still not been priced in. I think prices will continue to sink diwn to around $200 or more by the end of the year. There is just absolutely no demand for btc at all. Only in the minds of the bulls in this forum. I dont think overall usage is up either. Yes more wallets are in existance, but coinbase creates a new ine for you like every week or so automatically. Using the "more wallets in existance" is a very bad way to track usage. I think all the new metchanys have done is get some holders to spend some btc, while not managing ti attract any new interest by the general public

I am normally pretty bullish when it comes to BTC, because I believe in the technology but I totally follow what jcoin200 is saying.
Most miners today are running negative numbers, and they need to sell their coins to pay for operation costs.
I just don't see how the bitcoin ecosystem can get enough new buyers to pressure the price up.
Someone have to buy all the bitcoins that the miners are dumping, and if there is not enough buyers, well, the price will continue go down.

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
exocytosis

Activity: 476

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 09:35:10 PM

The price will  raise  (  I think)  in the next block reward halving (2016) .

That halving has been priced in for years. It's one of the reasons BTC might stay in the lofty heights of the double digit territory until November, when it probably enters the single digits and the final capitulation.
redhawk979

Activity: 271

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 09:36:22 PM

By the way the "Calling the bottom at 350" threads are now outdated, lets get some more "Calling the bottom at 300" threads  going until Monday.

I am normally pretty bullish when it comes to BTC, because I believe in the technology but I totally follow what jcoin200 is saying.
Most miners today are running negative numbers, and they need to sell their coins to pay for operation costs.
I just don't see how the bitcoin ecosystem can get enough new buyers to pressure the price up.
Someone have to buy all the bitcoins that the miners are dumping, and if there is not enough buyers, well, the price will continue go down.

New buyers aren't going to be attracted for a while. They're going to see the price tanking, and unless they're "True Believers", they won't be buying in until the price crash stops, whatever number that may be.
TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 09:45:04 PM

New buyers aren't going to be attracted for a while. They're going to see the price tanking, and unless they're "True Believers", they won't be buying in until the price crash stops, whatever number that may be.

Totally agree to this.
The price will stabilize at some point (have no idea where).
I will still continue using bitcoins though since the they are convenient for trading, but will properly start converting a little more between fait and bitcoin, at least that is super easy nowadays, so not really a problem.

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 09:47:39 PM

Please stop with this already. It's an unrealized loss, which doesn't make it any less real.

unrealized... how do you know that it won't go up again? magic ass ball? that thing is true, but maybe the sentence is not completed, i repeat it here

until there is a chance to go up again, you won't lose anything if you just hold and don't sell for less than you paid

Or not?

How dumb are you?

read above and tell me how much is your QI now, i think is lower than 90, probably the same number without the zero

A few things about this post:

1)  If you've been holding in a down market, then two bad things have happened to you.  First, you've lost purchasing power.  Second, you haven't even realized your loss so that you can write it off on your taxes this year.  It's a really bad habit to get into to try to pull all sorts of mental gymnastics to try to convince yourself that you're a good investor and you're making money when your position is continually losing ground.

2)  Saying "how do you know it won't go up again?" is a question that holds as much weight as "how do you know it won't keep going down?"  It means nothing.   There is no information to pull from it that can help you to make a rational decision.  Furthermore, there are no magic rules of investing that dictate an investment must appreciate after significant periods of depreciation.  

3)  This is more of a personal observation, but I really think that a lot of people's investment decisions are heavily influenced by discussions on this forum, and not in a good way.  I see a lot of permabulls and permabears, but it's shockingly uncommon to read posts that aren't emotionally loaded and don't veer to one extreme or the other.  For a lot of people, there is no middle ground.

4) "Until there is a chance to go up again..."?  What the hell?   I don't even know where to begin with this. *Every* moment is a chance for BTC to up again.  Where have you been the past 10-11 months?  Bitcoin isn't dropping in price due to chance, just as Bitcoin didn't shoot past $1000 USD by chance.  Focus on *real* things.  Instead of thinking about the "chance" that BTC might go up again, maybe you should first ask yourself why you aren't buying all the BTC you can right now.   It might be a good starting place as it may provide insight as to why everyone else isn't out buying up all the BTC.

5)  Here's a thought experiment for you:  How about you sell all of your belongings for BTC and hold them indefinitely?  According to your logic, this will preserve your wealth for infinite time (as long as you don't sell).  Ingenious, right?  Roll Eyes
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2014, 09:56:46 PM

I'll admit I had high hopes for btc, but the last bubble has no reason to repeat itself.
Very good point. The last bubble, from about $120 to $1100, was driven by the use of Bitcoin in China to get around China's exchange controls. Once the People's Bank of China stopped that, the price started back down.
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 09:58:56 PM

I'll admit I had high hopes for btc, but the last bubble has no reason to repeat itself.
Very good point. The last bubble, from about $120 to $1100, was driven by the use of Bitcoin in China to get around China's exchange controls. Once the People's Bank of China stopped that, the price started back down.

Probably not.  Did you read the Willy Report?
matt4054
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 09:59:49 PM

I agree and I don't think anyone will be able to predict the bottom anyway, at this stage. This "bubble deflation" is taking too long to be driven only by speculative factors and adoption achievements can't even reverse the trend until that said bottom. Hopefully not under $200 but it's still a good price for those who got it early I guess.

I still think "over mining" is playing a role in the trend downward over the last couple of months. It will continue until they fall short and stop mining, but then nobody can predict if the reversal will happen as it depends on the future miners' behavior etc.
tabnloz
Legendary

Activity: 961

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 10:07:46 PM

Wrong section. Or are you asshole just posting in Speculation to gain more attention like a dumb facebook attention crackwhore?
Anger won't make the price go up.
Anger won't make you less ashamed in front of your family for the stupid son they have.

I think Sevvero is really referencing himself here. Stop projecting.
Omikifuse
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 10:08:49 PM

They are only rumors.

But chinese exchanges have the biggest volumes, even now
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 10:15:01 PM

They are only rumors.

But chinese exchanges have the biggest volumes, even now

It's not a rumor that there were trading bots buying more than a half-million BTC continually over the course of a few months.  That's concrete.
Bitcoins101

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 10:44:04 PM

Most people here have deluded themselves into thinking btc is going to skyrocket sue to "imminent mass adoption!"  Clearly this is not the case, and lots of former bulls are now facing the facts and turning bearish.  One of the ways people tell themselves they are right is saying anyone who sells is a "weak hand."  Funny because you should be calling them "smart hands."

I'll admit I had high hopes for btc, but the last bubble has no reason to repeat itself: There's no new money coming in from anywhere in the world, adoption by merchants just essentially creates lots of sell pressure, and the media is doing its job scaring people away from btc by associating it with illegal activity.

Good luck to holders though.

So is your suggestion to sell all the  bitcoin now ? I think this is not the real solution Wink .   The price will  raise  (  I think)  in the next block reward halving (2016) .

2016. 2016. 2016. We're in 2014. Everyone will have plenty of time to buy back in before 2016, so why mindlessly hodl while Bitcoin is crashing?

I love cryptocurrencies. I think they will succeed big time. Decentralized digital currency is here to stay. However, we're currently in the midst of a crash. People who convert to fiat will be able to buy back more bitcoin during the next rise, whenever that rise happens. As someone who is looking to maximize the number of bitcoins I own, the last thing I would be doing right now is hodling. In fact, I'm shorting, so that when bitcoin rises again, I can not only buy more coins because they're cheaper, but also buy more coins because I have more money.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: