Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:04:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Consider you are running a commercial website that needs to quote small amounts of bitcoin, how would you call 100 satoshis?
100 satoshis - 49 (44.1%)
0.000001 BTC - 4 (3.6%)
0.001 mBTC - 2 (1.8%)
1 µBTC - 16 (14.4%)
1 bit - 33 (29.7%)
Something else (Please state your ideas in this thread!!) - 7 (6.3%)
Total Voters: 111

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When quoting small amounts of bitcoin, how do you call 100 satoshis?  (Read 8356 times)
evok3d

Activity: 534
Merit: 250

The Protocol for the Audience Economy

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 11:27:20 AM

I think staying away from bit might be a good idea as it is a commonly used term in other places.

100 Sats or Satoshis isnt a bad word or 100 Micro Bits

M E   D I   A
P  R -    ▄▄███████▄▄   
  ▄██████▀██████▄ 
 ███████   ███████
▐██████     ██████▌
██████▌     ▐██████
▐██████     ██████▌
 ▀██████▄ ▄██████▀
   ▀███████████▀  
      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     
- T  O  C - O - L
MEDIA Protocol in Action
              ▄▄██████▄▄
            ▄████████████▄
           █████▌ ▀▀███████
   ▄████▄▄██████     ▀█████▌
 ▄███▀ ▀████████      ▐█████
▐███▌   ▐████████      ████▌
▐███    ██████████▄▄  ▐████
 ▀███▄▄████▀▀████████████▀
   ▀▀███▀▀     ▀▀████▀▀
   ▄▄▄████████████████▄▄▄    
 ████████████████████████▄  
▐███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▌ 
████████████▀▀▀        █████ 
█████████▀             █████ 
███████              ▐█████ 
█████▀               ██████ 
███▌              ▄██████ 
█████             ▄█████████ 
████▌          ▄▄██████████ 
▐████▄▄▄▄██████████████████▌ 
 ▀███████████████████████▀  
   ▀▀███████████████████▀    
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 11:32:40 AM

The words "milli" and "micro" are not the problem itself. The problem is that this would introduce an additional, third unit to the two units we already have (satoshi & bitcoin).

I'd just like to layer my own observations atop this, being as unbiased as I can manage.  I'm running with your implicit assumption that "bitcoin", "millibitcoin", and "microbitcoin" are distinct units.

The bitcoin is by far the most common unit in the Bitcoin system.  This was introduced by satoshi with the release of the code (early 2009).  It is the only unit sufficiently widely recognised that it has been entered into a number of reputable dictionaries (e.g. OED).  The symbol "BTC" is the most popular, but BTC and "XBT" are also frequently seen.

The millibitcoin is easily the second most widely used unit today.  This follows naturally from "bitcoin" and the SI prefix "milli-" (1795) and was first discussed on the forum in early 2011.  I doubt it's in any dictionaries but there is basically a consensus on the term.  The symbol used is almost always "mBTC".  Nicknames vary: "millibit", "mill", "millie".

The satoshi is the third most common unit.  It was introduced in early 2011 by bitcointalk (then bitcoin forum) user ribuck (originally as a name for 0.000 001 BTC but this quickly changed to 0.000 000 01 BTC, currently the smallest possible unit).  It is, as you observe, practically the only name for this unit.  "SAT"/"Sat"/"sat" is relatively common as a symbol and a nickname.

The infamous 0.000 001 BTC unit is more the subject of flamewars than anything else, not least because two of the most popular names, "bit" and "microbit", are in direct logical conflict.  It's possible both will become accepted (just as 1 calorie = 1 kilocalorie) but the issue is far from decided.  I've seen many proposed names for this unit; off the top of my head (alphabetically, lower case): "bit", "centoshi", "fin", "finney", "hectoshi", "mic", "microbit", "microbitcoin", "mike", "mubit", "ubit", "xub", "zib".  Selecting one name may well end up attracting negative attention to your platform so please tread carefully.

As I say, these are just my observations (reading something on Bitcoin roughly once a day for the past 4+ years).  I'm happy to accept corrections and provide some citations on request.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4454

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 11:34:30 AM

I think staying away from bit might be a good idea as it is a commonly used term in other places.

milli-litres, millimetres, micrograms, microwave ovens, microbes, microphones, microsoft

ull find micro and milli is used a hell of alot more in real conversations than bit.

though i like the term bit because its 3 digits of a BITcoin, same as 100 is 3 digits. im kind of leaning towards a 'finney'
after all no one says microtonnes of gold or millitones of gold.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
CrackedLogic
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 11:38:28 AM

I remember seeing  somebody saying "Centoshi" or "Bitcent"
sorry forgot who you were too lazy to find it.

I really liked that

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 12:05:20 PM

This isn't reddit. Pointless posts aren't getting upvoted here.

Maybe you want to contribute something to the discussion instead? Smiley
You don't see the point so you attack? How about doing a bit of thinking first next time?

oh, and

Smiley
btw you didn't attack any other succinct responses such as "one microbit" "one finney", so maybe you should also be questioning your own bias?

KingOfTrolls (OP)

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 11:08:21 PM

btw you didn't attack any other succinct responses such as "one microbit" "one finney", so maybe you should also be questioning your own bias?

That was pars pro toto. I'm sorry if you feel attacked personally, but your post just happened to be the latest in a series of equally pointless posts, all of which should be equally addressed by this:

Just shouting out an one word response without a single sentence of reasoning is what I refer to as pointless post, and it doesn't bring the discussion any forward.

I hope that you can take that bit of critique and now contribute something to the discussion, for example a reasoning on why you think your stance to be the better one.
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 11:35:02 PM

Just shouting out an one word response without a single sentence of reasoning is what I refer to as pointless post, and it doesn't bring the discussion any forward.

Agreed.
R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 12:08:08 AM

milli-litres, millimetres, micrograms, microwave ovens, microbes, microphones, microsoft

ull find micro and milli is used a hell of alot more in real conversations than bit.

though i like the term bit because its 3 digits of a BITcoin, same as 100 is 3 digits. im kind of leaning towards a 'finney'

They say “ounces of gold”, but that's because of the flawed Imperial system. Just because the US is using it doesn't mean everyone should follow them.

Also, about the 3 letters of “bit”, that sounds more poetic than an actual logical reason to choose it.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
fabiola!

Activity: 714
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 12:37:06 AM

If we have satoshis why can't we have nakamotos?

100 satoshis= 1 nakamoto

Why not? : )
R2D221

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 12:47:35 AM

100 satoshis= 1 nakamoto

Two units named after the same person doesn't seem good to me...

PenAndPaper

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 12:52:57 AM

I usually call them 1 bit but then i have to explain how much 1 bit is in btc. Unfortunately the idea of bit isn't that widespread yet...

Activity: 525

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 03:05:53 AM

Agreed.

Thanks teukon: one word can be enough, and need not be characterised as 'shouting'.
fabiola!

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 12:50:00 PM

Agreed.

Thanks teukon: one word can be enough, and need not be characterised as 'shouting'.

yes. Smiley
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 01:46:36 PM

1 µt = 1gram.
1 mt= 1kg

Tonne is weird: we call it a tonne instead of a Mega-gram (Mg).

I think the SI base-unit for mass is the kg, further adding to the confusion.

/tangent

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
R2D221

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 05:18:18 PM

1 µt = 1gram.
1 mt= 1kg

/tangent

Maybe we should rename the kilogram. What do you think, do we make a poll for it?

Jimmy_Zed

Activity: 112

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 10:53:14 AM

1 µt = 1gram.
1 mt= 1kg

/tangent

Maybe we should rename the kilogram. What do you think, do we make a poll for it?

LOL !!! Yeah let's vote on it ! Omg , somethings you read on this forum are hilarious.
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 11:00:53 AM

Agreed.

Back on topic, what do one word replies like "satoshi", "bit" etc add to the discussion? I assumed it was posters telling us how they voted (which I guess they might have thought other people would find useful). Since we're talking about it could you maybe fill in the gaps and explain why you voted for "bit"?

This space intentionally left blank.
fabiola!

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 05:27:50 PM

100 satoshis= 1 nakamoto

Two units named after the same person doesn't seem good to me...

Why not? He would love it.
KingOfTrolls (OP)

Activity: 69

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 11:23:42 AM

The words "milli" and "micro" are not the problem itself. The problem is that this would introduce an additional, third unit to the two units we already have (satoshi & bitcoin).

I'd just like to layer my own observations atop this, being as unbiased as I can manage.  I'm running with your implicit assumption that "bitcoin", "millibitcoin", and "microbitcoin" are distinct units.

The bitcoin is by far the most common unit in the Bitcoin system.  This was introduced by satoshi with the release of the code (early 2009).  It is the only unit sufficiently widely recognised that it has been entered into a number of reputable dictionaries (e.g. OED).  The symbol "BTC" is the most popular, but BTC and "XBT" are also frequently seen.

The millibitcoin is easily the second most widely used unit today.  This follows naturally from "bitcoin" and the SI prefix "milli-" (1795) and was first discussed on the forum in early 2011.  I doubt it's in any dictionaries but there is basically a consensus on the term.  The symbol used is almost always "mBTC".  Nicknames vary: "millibit", "mill", "millie".

The satoshi is the third most common unit.  It was introduced in early 2011 by bitcointalk (then bitcoin forum) user ribuck (originally as a name for 0.000 001 BTC but this quickly changed to 0.000 000 01 BTC, currently the smallest possible unit).  It is, as you observe, practically the only name for this unit.  "SAT"/"Sat"/"sat" is relatively common as a symbol and a nickname.

The infamous 0.000 001 BTC unit is more the subject of flamewars than anything else, not least because two of the most popular names, "bit" and "microbit", are in direct logical conflict.  It's possible both will become accepted (just as 1 calorie = 1 kilocalorie) but the issue is far from decided.  I've seen many proposed names for this unit; off the top of my head (alphabetically, lower case): "bit", "centoshi", "fin", "finney", "hectoshi", "mic", "microbit", "microbitcoin", "mike", "mubit", "ubit", "xub", "zib".  Selecting one name may well end up attracting negative attention to your platform so please tread carefully.

As I say, these are just my observations (reading something on Bitcoin roughly once a day for the past 4+ years).  I'm happy to accept corrections and provide some citations on request.

This is by far the best post on this topic, in my opinion. Sums it up pretty much.

It also helps me to nail down the choices for my website:

I will certainly not want to risk choosing one of the many names for a 100-satoshi-sized unit, which leads me to avoiding this unit entirely.
I'll also avoid the mBTC unit for similiar reasons as franky1: The word "millibitcoin" implies that it is just a fraction of something, and the human brain doesn't like to deal with fractions — we prefer integers!
Of the remaining two units, BTC and SAT, the former is simply too large to be useful on my site.

Anyone who has to deal with bitcoin micro-transactions and is faced with the current situation will probably come to the same conclusion and quote values in satoshis.
This will be the interim solution as long as a consensus for naming the 100-satoshi unit is not found.

However, given that this discussion didn't make any tangible progress in the last six months, I'd bet that a word for 100 satoshis will not become universally adopted any time soon. Thus the interim solution might very well become the permanent solution.

Personally, I think that this interim solution, i.e. quoting values in satoshis, is in no way inferior to using a 100-satoshi-sized unit. Prices do not intrinsically need to have two decimal places on the right side, and instead could equally well be quoted as integers with no decimal point whatsoever.
I believe that the only reason why people want to have two decimal places to the right of the point is familiarity with their current local fiat currencies, which is — in the grand scheme of things — irrelevant.

Ofcourse one might argue that similiarity with the current system could ease understanding the new system.
However, while this approach works in general, it doesn't apply to currency units: I argue that teaching two currency units to newbies is more difficult than teaching only one unit, even if the newbies are used to using two units in their local fiat currency. After all, whatever units you teach them are still new to them, i.e. it's not the monetary units they already have.

Last but not least, one might rightfully complain that quoting values in satoshis will frequently incur large numbers. Transactions in the thousands will be the norm. Consequently, I guess, people will find various nicknames for thousand satoshis, analogous to the grand in the dollar world.
cexylikepie

Activity: 779

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 11:43:16 AM

i think the well known term is 1 bit for 100 satoshi
Nathan is right. I don't like that at all
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: