Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 05:15:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain Antminer S4 Setup [HD]  (Read 49332 times)
megahash

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 07:30:32 PM

Hi Dogie - As usual another excellent guide  Grin

I discovered your guides whilst setting my my S3's which I now have 30.

Just started with my first S4 - All went 100% smoothly.

Thanks Again for such a great resource that does what it says on the Tin!

Cheers.

New user, registered today, one post - this one.

Oh dear - it is a very sad day when bitmain/dogie have resort to using fake accounts in a pathetic effort to make this piece of junk look good.....

Copy/pasting guides is bad enough bitmain/dogie, but this is really scraping the bottom of the barrel...... Roll Eyes
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 08:29:30 PM

There are a lot of issues with this guide you should probably double check it.

Don't quote my entire guide please, delete your post. Feel free to post the abundant issues though.

Most of this is a copy paste of the S3 guide, where do I start....there is so many things wrong with it. You even posted "Using a browser, navigate to 192.168.1.99 - this goes to the S3's configuration page.", half of the things under the troubleshooting section are wrong as well.

Maybe because two miners using exactly the same architecture will have a very similar setup? So far you've found one character wrong, anything else? Still not sure why you're coming into this so aggressively... would you rather there be no resource at all or would you rather make your own thread?

Actually the S4 is is many ways much more similar to the S2 because of the beagleboard. Guess ill list off some stuff since you don't even see it. I have more a problem with there being wrong information than merely incomplete information. I see you fixed SSH username/password one but there are still others.
Problems:
Bitmain firmware updates are no longer released on their github, they are now on the bitmaintech.com support section, the github was last updated on April 13th as you can see.
Upgrading the firmware can help with x's over chips as well, x's don't necessarily mean its dead on S4 due to issues with the first firmware release.
The difficulty issue affects pools that start on a diff of 1 and then slowly ramp up, if the pool starts on a diff of 1 and ramps up in a few seconds there is not an issue, variable difficulty itself is not the issue, ramping up from low difficulty is.
A single faulty chip should not affect it by ~3%, it should be under 1% since there are 160 chips on a S4.

None of what you've described is any excuse for your attitude whatsoever. Fixed 1 link and 1 number.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 08:32:52 PM

Cheers.

Oh dear - it is a very sad day when bitmain/dogie have resort to using fake accounts in a pathetic effort to make this piece of junk look good.....

Copy/pasting guides is bad enough bitmain/dogie, but this is really scraping the bottom of the barrel...... Roll Eyes

Post in scam accusations, request admins compare some IPs. I think you'll also find that most of Bitmain doesn't have english that good, and that they sell 10,000s of units - most of which go to users who are NOT on the forums. I have one account, this one.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 08:35:47 PM

Thanks for the setup guide Dogie, really do appreciate what you do Grin

Will you be going into any detail on the 'Miner Advanced Configuration' settings, the bit with the frequency and voltage. If its safe to mess around with it, and what it does?

Thanks again.

Not at the moment, no. Its for over/underclocking and at the moment there is only room for one frequency step up before the PSU is the limiting factor. You also need a small voltage bump up to maintain that speed.

miningdefiance

Activity: 2

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 08:56:21 PM

Cheers.

You are very wrong my friend (In the most loose sense of the term) on what you have just said - What's sad is you have nothing better to do then flame someone who is doing a good Job with these guides - What are you adding to the community?  Its fine to pick holes however I suspect you have no forum where people look for guidance.  If you do not like what is posted why do you not just reside somewhere else? So this is going to be one of my first posts of many. 
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 12:12:02 PM

None of what you've described is any excuse for your attitude whatsoever. Fixed 1 link and 1 number.
Let's hope that's not Bitmain being not happy about a Q&D copy paste that not enough effort was spent on it to check it was accurate ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
PatMan

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 12:16:53 PM

Let's hope that's not Bitmain being not happy about a Q&D copy paste that not enough effort was spent on it to check it was accurate ...

LOL

Welcome to dogies bitmain "non-answers" page.......no conflict of interest here  Wink

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
IYFTech

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 12:58:53 PM

So, confirmation that it is not a firmware issue, but a hardware issue - and that the upcoming firmware release, if/when it arrives, is only a workaround:

I'm a little confused tbh, as ck says:

It turns out the controller is so low powered that it can only process ~30 shares per second which mean that unless diff is set higher, they work their way into a death spiral before diff catches up. Great...

Which to me sounds like a hardware issue - or is it the firmware that decides how much power is provided to the controller?
It's not a firmware issue. The controller hardware they bundle with it is not fast enough to handle running at low diffs, and most pools start at a lower diff for a while before vardiff pushes them up. If they stay low diff long enough the controller never catches up. I gave them a driver code workaround (i.e. hack) to get over this hurdle. It means they'll (appear to) run at low hashrates for a while until the pool reaches a diff suitable for the device. When they say it's a firmware issue, they mean they'll offer new firmware with an updated cgminer to address the issue.

Ah, that explains it - thanks ck. Did dogiemain bitmain say if they would replace the controller in the next batch - or will they just keep using the workaround (i.e. hack)?

I get the feeling bitmain are paying the wrong person...... Wink

Many thanks to ckolivas once again for all his efforts!  Smiley

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 03:24:06 PM

So, confirmation that it is not a firmware issue, but a hardware issue - and that the upcoming firmware release, if/when it arrives, is only a workaround:

A fix is a fix isn't it? I'm not a big fan of BBs; I think there are better controllers to start off with but its the architecture their code has been made on so its would delay everything way tooo long to try and change it mid product cycle.

PatMan

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 03:55:42 PM

A fix is a fix isn't it? I'm not a big fan of BBs; I think there are better controllers to start off with but its the architecture their code has been made on so its would delay everything way tooo long to try and change it mid product cycle.

No, it isn't a "fix" - it's a firmware "hack" (ck's words) to try and get around untested & inferior hardware. A bodge.

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
megahash

Activity: 26

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 04:02:07 PM

LULZ at dogies crappy wrong answers......

This bitmain job is above you dogie, you should go back to copy/pasting guides, advertising scam pools & ripping off noobs for VAT in the sales thread....... Cheesy Cheesy
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 05:13:55 PM

LULZ at dogies crappy wrong answers......

This bitmain job is above you dogie, you should go back to copy/pasting guides, advertising scam pools & ripping off noobs for VAT in the sales thread....... Cheesy Cheesy

This user is angry at a pool and so is flaming me... makes sense.

Rabinovitch
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076

BTCLife.global participant

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 05:26:47 PM

Sure the best conclusion is not to buy Bitmain's S4...

From Siberia with love! Hosting by Rabinovitch!
Fundraising for BOINC Farm
Пpoфeccиoнaльнo зaнимaюcь paзвёpтывaниeм фepм (ASIC, GPU, BURST, STORJ, Filecoin), oбopyдoвaниeм пoмeщeний для мaйнингa.
dlowings

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 03:05:16 PM

Can we come up with some PSU replacement options ? I'm starting to think the custom PSU might have a issue…

http://postimg.org/image/xp75t9jx1/

http://postimg.org/image/3ulmdi42d/

http://postimg.org/image/kjn29f0np/

BTC donations welcome:- 1BrersvQubEKt4m2hBXDNvU1B4RiYe6J4i   -   Feel free to visit wiki.chainminer.com for free hardware listings, and mining info. -  IRC on freenode #wiki.chainminer.com
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 04:28:57 PM

Can we come up with some PSU replacement options ? I'm starting to think the custom PSU might have a issue…

It will be difficult due to the formfactor of the PSU, potentially a DPS2000bb is the closest you'll get.

MissouriMiner

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 10:43:13 PM

FYI - Feedback regarding network setup instructions.  My S4 out of the box used DHCP and worked fine on an alternate subnet than 192.168.1.x.  All of my miners use subnet 192.168.44.x.  The S4 was assigned an IP address from that subnet and worked fine.  I looked at the front of the S4 for the IP (192.168.44.3), and accessed via web browser no problem.  My S4 is from batch 2.  It shipped from Bitmain on Oct 9.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2014, 11:50:42 PM

FYI - Feedback regarding network setup instructions.  My S4 out of the box used DHCP and worked fine on an alternate subnet than 192.168.1.x.  All of my miners use subnet 192.168.44.x.  The S4 was assigned an IP address from that subnet and worked fine.  I looked at the front of the S4 for the IP (192.168.44.3), and accessed via web browser no problem.  My S4 is from batch 2.  It shipped from Bitmain on Oct 9.

Some of B1 shipped as static, some shipped as DHCP. I'll change it as more B2s come out (DHCP).

ManeBjorn
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 11:52:38 AM

Power supply replacement for the Antminer S4

Dear loyal customers,
Today we have found out that the batch of power supplies shipped out in batch 1 and the first part of batch 2 Antminer S4s contain a critical defect. The customized power supply produced by AplusPower Co. Ltd is suffering from an unacceptably high failure rate and will be replaced with immediate effect.
We take full responsibility for the problems caused and had not anticipated the unique loading conditions of a miner when selecting and testing the suitability of these power supplies. You can read more about the defect in the post below.
We are now taking steps to ensure that customers are impacted as little as possible. The rest of batch 2 S4s will come with the improved power supply as standard.

The following actions are being taken for miners already delivered:
1)  If your PSU has already failed:
•   Submit a RMA request with some pictures and proof [ie with your username in the photo] of your PSU’s failure to info@bitmaintech.com.
•   We will then ship a new PSU out as soon as possible.
•   We will also issue compensation to the value of 10 days of mining profit calculated starting from shipping date
2) If your PSU has not failed and the miner is running normally:
•   We will ship a new PSU to you.
•   Please do not contact support yet, you will receive an email asking to confirm your shipping.

Analysis of power supply failures within the first batch of Antminer S4s

We are sorry for the inconvenience you may have experienced regarding power supply failures, or even sporadic events of smoke from our first batch of Antminer S4s. We immediately set out to investigate the reports of failed power supplies from customers, and have made immediate changes to improve the quality of future deliveries. What happened with these power supplies is not acceptable.

The power supplies failed by two different mechanisms:

1) Failed TR1 or TR2 MOSFETs on the power factor correction (PFC) circuitry.

After investigations, it was found that the unusual service conditions a miner puts on its power supply was the cause of the failure. The repeated abrupt, dynamic loading generated significant current through the PFC circuits, eventually leading to the failure of the TR1 or TR2 MOSFETs.

The replacement power supplies have significantly upgraded PFC circuits in order to improve performance and prevent a recurrence of the problem.

2) Failed MOSFET on the output Synchronous rectifier circuit

A MOSFET on the output Synchronous rectification circuit was also found to be failing, due to the repeated and sudden load changes during the miners’ operation.

During normal operation, the output MOSFET is expected to carry a current of approximately 30A and operate at a surface temperature of around 80C. The failing MOSFET was found to be heating up significantly further than this, causing the carbonized black PCBs and smoking thermal pad.

It is worth noting that although a failed output MOSFET at high temperatures may result in some smoke from the PCB and thermal pad, it will not start a fire. All internal components of the PSU meet the requirements of the UL94-V0 flame retardancy standard, which certifies that any ignition will self-extinguish within a maximum of 10 seconds.

In response to this problem, the sample filter in the Synchronous rectifier circuits have been altered to erase the excessive current, and so the MOSFET will not fail again. In addition, several high temperature prevention circuits have been added which will better protect the power supply from overloading and excessive temperatures.

Moving forwards

We always perform significant dynamic testing on chosen power supplies, however in this case we failed to recognize the special conditions and specific loading characteristics the miner would place on the power supply. Our testing has been altered to replicate and include these loading characteristics on any power supplies introduced in the future. Once again, we are sorry.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2014, 03:06:51 PM

I know, I rewrote that ^_^

we6jbo2

Activity: 2

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 11:33:17 PM

Can the fans be replaced with something quieter? I bought two of these and they are super loud.

BTW: I am we6jbo on here however I don't remember what email I used years ago.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: