Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:54:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is stealing bitcoins illegal?  (Read 9361 times)
IsaacDestruction (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 02:41:30 PM

For example, if I mislead someone into sending me a large amount of bitcoins (in the United States) would that be illegal?

If I did not force them to do anything, but they sent them anticipating me to send a product in return, but I never send it.

Would this be considered illegal considering no one would know whether the bitcoin address that received the bitcoins was my address?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 02:43:04 PM

if stealing makes u feel better and more complete on the inside by all means do it

i am here.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 02:43:05 PM

Would this be considered illegal considering no one would know whether the bitcoin address that received the bitcoins was my address?
A crime is a crime, be there evidence or not.

So the answer is yes.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 02:48:25 PM

For example, if I mislead someone into sending me a large amount of bitcoins (in the United States) would that be illegal?

If I did not force them to do anything, but they sent them anticipating me to send a product in return, but I never send it.

You might be able to get away with it, but it would definitely be illegal.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 02:54:41 PM

So the answer is yes.

So, by saying that, you're saying that stealing bitcoin or misleading someone into giving you bitcoin is a crime. With that opinion set in stone, that would also mean that stealing a rare virtual sword in a MMO is also a crime?

Both are crimes.

In the MMO, you will probably get killed unless you are in a non-PVP server. Or banned if the other guy complains and a game master or admin thinks you committed the crime.

If you stole it from a MOB or NPC, maybe that's part of the game.

If you stole it from a player, that player or his guild or his friends may try to get it back. Depends on the rules of the MMO. Maybe you are a thief, or necromancer or whatever. Then the whole world hates you anyway.

In this forum, someone will attempt to dox you. Someone else may then attempt to hunt you down.

In the after life, if you believe in it, you will be damned for all eternity. Unless you confess and repent.

Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 02:54:55 PM

Not sure about the legal part if the law in the country did not clearly touch on crypto payment but one thing for sure it's definitely morally wrong.

Hmm. I see an interesting topic for debate by the OP especially on the anonymity of the address owner

Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 02:59:59 PM

In the US, if the item misappropriated has monetary value then it is a crime. For example, if the value of the sword is > $400-$1000 then in many states it would be considered grand larceny.
Grand_Voyageur

Activity: 322

https://dadice.com | Click my signature to join!

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 03:12:08 PM

So the answer is yes.

So, by saying that, you're saying that stealing bitcoin or misleading someone into giving you bitcoin is a crime. With that opinion set in stone, that would also mean that stealing a rare virtual sword in a MMO is also a crime?

Probably Yes. If someone put an economic value in it, maybe because such sword was bought with real bucks (or even with BTC), this is a crime. I'm not sure if nobody put an economic value it this was also a crime, but maybe in some jurisdictions this is also a crime. Also if to steal such a sword you illegally access a computer/network/etc or abuse your access authorization this is another crime for which you will be held responsible.

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█   ⚂⚄⚀⚃⚅⚁    ██  d a d i c e  ██    Next Generation Dice Game
• Low 1% house edge. • Provably Fair.  
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 03:13:07 PM

Taking anything of value from someone else without their explicit consent is considered a crime under most jurisdictions on this planet.
Again, the answer is yes.

Value does not even have to necessarily be monetary, eg. the ashes from your grandmother may not have monetary value, but taking them from you will usually be punishable by law.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Jamie_Boulder

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 03:14:20 PM

So the answer is yes.

Both are crimes.

In the MMO, you will probably get killed unless you are in a non-PVP server. Or banned if the other guy complains and a game master or admin thinks you committed the crime.

If you stole it from a player, that player or his guild or his friends may try to get it back. Depends on the rules of the MMO. Maybe you are a thief, or necromancer or whatever. Then the whole world hates you anyway.

In this forum, someone will attempt to dox you. Someone else may then attempt to hunt you down.

In the after life, if you believe in it, you will be damned for all eternity. Unless you confess and repent.
Good explanation and I 100% agree, the authority you answer to is irrelevant as that's not defined in "crime"

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 03:24:40 PM

Ok OP, I've just completed transfer of your bitcoin from the copy of the wallet file I just found on your computer. Now you tell me if I stole it or not.

It's always a lot clearer for the victim.  Wink

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 03:24:57 PM

In the MMO[…]
I'd so love to see that case in court "NPC Necromancer vs. PC 1337Haxx0R". PC found guilty of holdup murder Grin

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 03:29:14 PM

Alright, since the general consensus is that stealing bitcoins is illegal.
If I discontinue the use of communication with said person (from a way that can be linked back to my IP address) and continue the conversation on an anonymized, encrypted email, with TOR, a VPN, and tails, and then execute said plan, law enforcement would have no way to prove that it was me who committed the crime and I would not be held accountable due to lack of evidence that it was me, correct?

And that kids, is why we use ESCROW when dealing with complete strangers.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Grand_Voyageur

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 03:31:57 PM

If I discontinue the use of communication with said person (from a way that can be linked back to my IP address) and continue the conversation on an anonymized, encrypted email, with TOR, a VPN, and tails, and then execute said plan, law enforcement would have no way to prove that it was me who committed the crime and I would not be held accountable due to lack of evidence that it was me, correct?

I think you're try to plan to steal BTC of something else with monetary value; so, I shall stop giving you legal help to avoid being held responsible of aiding someone to commit a crime.
Go earn legit BTC instead of trying to learn to be a scammer & thief.

[..]

+1Grin

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 03:37:09 PM
Last edit: October 11, 2014, 04:02:26 PM by QuestionAuthority

Starting a new business?

It's technically illegal and immoral to steal from people. If you're starting a new theft business this is a good place to get your feet wet and try out new concepts. I would suggest you become a VIP member first. That seems to be the best way to block your identity. You can even stay on this forum after the theft and mock the people you stole from. Another good way to do it is move to Japan and go bankrupt. That will allow you to rent a posh apartment with your stolen money. The most profitable method so far has been to create a website, have everyone send you all their Bitcoins, announce that your hotwallet is stored online with a password like "qwerty"' then retire on the funds. Whatever you do stay away from Texas and never fly into JFK airport. Law enforcement seems to hang out in those locations.

Grand_Voyageur

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 03:38:34 PM

I think you're try to plan to steal BTC of something else with monetary value; so, I shall stop giving you legal help to avoid being held responsible of aiding someone to commit a crime.

No, I just want to see if this is true. Because if it is, then the illegality of stealing bitcoins wouldn't even matter in retrospect. If you can simply anonymize your connection and not have anything linked back to you.

LEOs already have their ways to check anonymized, encrypted email, with TOR, a VPN, etc. don't be so dumb to assume to be untraceable and smarter then LEOs. By the way you confirmed with your own's word you wanto to be a scammer & thief.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 03:40:08 PM

But, would that statement that I posted be true?

I dont know. Encrypted mail with firstname.lastname@mycompany.com would certainly give some clues no matter how good your hid your IP. If you 3 days after the "incident" brag about it in school, there might be someone giving someone else a tipp. If you suddently have a lot more money and start buying fancy stuff, people might start asking questions. If you want to be a scammer, noone will teach you.

-snip-
No, I just want to see if this is true. Because if it is, then the illegality of stealing bitcoins wouldn't even matter in retrospect. If you can simply anonymize your connection and not have anything linked back to you.

It does not matter if you get caught or not. You allready know its wrong, why do you think you called it "stealing" in the first place? Because you know it is.

-snip-
LEOs already have their ways to check anonymized, encrypted email, with TOR, a VPN, etc. don't be so dumb to assume to be untraceable and smarter then LEOs. By the way you confirmed with your own's word you wanto to be a scammer & thief.

Realistically OP would probably get away with it depending on the amount in question. The only important question is what kind of person OP wants to be.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 03:40:26 PM

[..]

+1Grin

Lol i start to develop the same thinking as well. The more we brainstorm, the more ideas and methods are coming.

DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 03:41:10 PM

ask Pirateat40

He knows all about what's illegal...

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 04:24:34 PM

It is illegal. If you don't get caught in this world, you will be in the next. Whether you believe in local authority or the supreme authority is irrelevant.

The question you should ask yourself is, should I enjoy my temporal and earthly life on this planet in exchange for eternal damnation in the fires of hell? If you don't believe in hell, then you probably won't go there, but is that a chance you are willing to take?

Many crime cases remain unsolved. That does not make them not illegal.

Do you have a conscience? Or are you a cold blooded stealer? Still illegal.

Maybe you want to get into semantics, then you should look at the definition of the word: Illegal, or unlawful, is used to describe something that is prohibited or not authorized by law.

There is at least one authority where stealing bitcoins is illegal. And that one has jurisdiction over everything everywhere. That you may be an atheist only says you don't believe in it, not that it doesn't really exist. Everyone else seems to subscribe to one religion or another.

But for you, maybe you like a life of always looking behind your shoulder, and hoping that the cops aren't there, or that guy you stole bitcoins from isn't about to slit your throat. (Murder is illegal too, but maybe he can get away with it, then tumble your corpse two or three times and completely anonymize what's left, so no one can identify you.)

The best way to do that is to strip the skin from your fingers so there are no prints, rip out the teeth so there are no dental records, and feed your chopped up body parts to other cold blooded reptiles.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: