Bitcoin Forum
May 18, 2024, 02:09:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 155 »
  Print  
Author Topic: .  (Read 491695 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
IMJim
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 08:14:30 PM

Ok, so I just realized after downloading the full wallet, that I do in fact have the wallet.  I thought this was just for running the node and that there was a regular offline wallet, so I can only assume now that my problem is with the port not being opened properly on my router.

This is VERY different than the typical crypto coins out there!

If anyone knows how to open the port on my router, would really appreciate it!

So there is no standard offline wallet in which we can store our coins then correct?
n00bnoxious

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Bitnation Development Team Member

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 08:27:55 PM

Ok, so I just realized after downloading the full wallet, that I do in fact have the wallet.  I thought this was just for running the node and that there was a regular offline wallet, so I can only assume now that my problem is with the port not being opened properly on my router.

So there is no standard offline wallet in which we can store our coins then correct?

Yeah, there's a lot of confusion with next gen cryptocurrency clients. Something we have to work on over time.

There is no such thing as a "wallet file", so there cannot feasibly be any way of creating an offline wallet. The accounts require securing once you log in by publishing your public key to the blockchain (issuing a transaction), so having a purely offline wallet doesn't make sense due to this either, as your account would not be totally secured if you were to deposit funds into it. The password system actually hooks you directly into the blockchain, and gets your balance information from it.

This means that you only ever have to safely store your password. Your computer could go up in flames and you'd never lose access to your accounts while you still have it.  You can access the client securely from any PC on any operating system - although obviously normal operational security applies - e.g., don't use a computer you don't trust not to be infected with viruses or keyloggers.

To open ports on your router, check out this site: http://portforward.com/

You don't need to forward the ports if you're not planning on running a hallmarked node though. And the wallet does have UPnP, so you shouldn't need to unless you're planning on opening up the service as a public API node at least.

EDIT: I think there has been some confusion, as you've been pointed to the port checker. You shouldn't NEED it, but if the wallet won't work without it then use portforward.com

Ask away with any questions you have, totally understood that it takes some learning to get used to using these Java based next gen cryptos.
IMJim
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 08:35:24 PM

Ok, so I just realized after downloading the full wallet, that I do in fact have the wallet.  I thought this was just for running the node and that there was a regular offline wallet, so I can only assume now that my problem is with the port not being opened properly on my router.

Yeah, there's a lot of confusion with next gen cryptocurrency clients. Something we have to work on over time.

There is no such thing as a "wallet file", so there cannot feasibly be any way of creating an offline wallet. The accounts require securing once you log in by publishing your public key to the blockchain (issuing a transaction), so having a purely offline wallet doesn't make sense due to this either, as your account would not be totally secured if you were to deposit funds into it. The password system actually hooks you directly into the blockchain, and gets your balance information from it.

This means that you only ever have to safely store your password. Your computer could go up in flames and you'd never lose access to your accounts while you still have it.  You can access the client securely from any PC on any operating system - although obviously normal operational security applies - e.g., don't use a computer you don't trust not to be infected with viruses or keyloggers.

To open ports on your router, check out this site: http://portforward.com/

You don't need to forward the ports if you're not planning on running a hallmarked node though. And the wallet does have UPnP, so you shouldn't need to unless you're planning on opening up the service as a public API node at least.

EDIT: I think there has been some confusion, as you've been pointed to the port checker. You shouldn't NEED it, but if the wallet won't work without it then use portforward.com

Ask away with any questions you have, totally understood that it takes some learning to get used to using these Java based next gen cryptos.

Man, thank you so much for your kindness in responding with so much detail.  Will check out the link you posted to see if I can figure this out.  I am however trying to setup a "hallmarked node" in order to earn some coins so it is sounding like I do need to setup port forwarding.  Not being real knowledgeable with networking stuff, I am not even sure what the difference is between opening a port, forwarding a port or port triggering.  Actually never heard of port triggering until last night trying to set this up on my router:-)

Thanks again to all that have replied......a most welcoming community!
Crypto-in-tha-blood

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 08:40:25 PM

Is there a Rich List and/or a block explorer available?

I'm kind of interested to see where I rank. 

New ANN looks great by the way! 
ndrog

Activity: 211

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2014, 08:47:51 PM

http://explorer.nhzcrypto.org/

n00bnoxious

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 08:48:09 PM

Man, thank you so much for your kindness in responding with so much detail.  Will check out the link you posted to see if I can figure this out.  I am however trying to setup a "hallmarked node" in order to earn some coins so it is sounding like I do need to setup port forwarding.  Not being real knowledgeable with networking stuff, I am not even sure what the difference is between opening a port, forwarding a port or port triggering.  Actually never heard of port triggering until last night trying to set this up on my router:-)

Thanks again to all that have replied......a most welcoming community!

Important to note that you also need a static external IP address. If you don't, you may never receive a payout as the hallmark is tied to your IP, and has to be detected for over 24 hours straight to be eligible for one. You can rent DigitalOcean droplets for $5 a month that it will run fine on, and they're currently paying a little over that per node at this price I think.

Opening a port is opening it on your router
Forwarding a port is forwarding an open port on your router to your desktop
Triggering a port is something wholly more complex and my advice is to ignore it if you don't fancy jumping down the networking rabbit hole ;-)

Is there a Rich List and/or a block explorer available?

I'm kind of interested to see where I rank.  

New ANN looks great by the way!  

Everything you need can be found here Crypto-in-tha-blood: http://explorer.nhzcrypto.org/

Check the accounts page for the rich list.
Crypto-in-tha-blood

Activity: 140

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 09:00:31 PM

Awesome...thanks fellas!

I'm higher than I thought I was  Wink
Pizpie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 971

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 09:09:29 PM

NHZ and the 'Blocknet' decentralized blockchain ecosystem
First public announcement / paper on 'Blocknet'

http://downloads.xc-official.com/images/14-10-15%20Blocknet%20presentation.pdf

Teams involved:
SSD, XST
LXC, BitSwift
Apex, NHZ
XC, SDC
UTIL

On November 5'th the first 'Decentralized blockchain ecosystem hangout / discussion will take place.'

We will post details about how you can get involved, and where it will be hosted.

I'm on Twitter: @mBTCPizpie
IMJim
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 09:10:56 PM

Still unable to get it working.

I don't technically have a static IP address, however my IP has not changed in over 2 years so I would assume I am ok on that end.

I have no "open port" options in my router's settings, everything I have seen suggests port forwarding is how to open a port on this router but again this in not my area of expertise.

I have setup a port forwarding that I think is correct according to info found on the portforwarding link that was given to me, still fails the port checker and still fails node checker.  Applications appears to be doing what it should.

Here is the port forwarding settings I made in my router config if anyone would like to take a peak......

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=358p9ch&s=8#.VD7hKBZhGUs
IMJim
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 09:12:21 PM

Is it possible this port needs to be opened on my Comcast Business Class modem as well?  This PC is currently plugged into the router which is plugged into the modem.
n00bnoxious

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 09:22:12 PM

Here is the port forwarding settings I made in my router config if anyone would like to take a peak......

Yeah port forwarding is different for all vendors and sometimes even within a vendor. Really irritating if you don't know the protocols.

You shouldn't have to do anything on the modem, as it's just the external connection, although I couldn't speak for any outside the UK.

If you have 7774 forwarded to the local IP address of your computer, AND your local computer's firewall has the port opened, it should be good to go.
Pizpie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 09:22:38 PM

Ok I seem to be more confused than I thought.

Trying to follow the instructions in the pdf for setting up a node.

Do I need to download a wallet or is only online wallet?

What steps exactly do I need to take to setup a node to earn coins with and have an offline wallet to store those coins safely?

Also, which wallet would I want to install?  Have PLENTY of disk space for the blockchain!

The wallet is a brain wallet, and your passphrase is your wallet.

http://nhzcrypto.org/threads/tutorial-how-to-create-a-hallmarked-node-and-also-run-a-local-client.403/

Use this walk through.
It takes about 2 minutes to set it up.

http://nhzcrypto.org/pages/wallet-downloads/

Download the full wallet.

Setup the node about an hour ago, says server has started.  Still nothing coming up when I check my IP so it looks like it is not working for me.  Am pretty sure I opened the port, have a new router Netgear Nighthawk R8000, it is called port triggering in the setup for this router.  I had to assign the IP address of the PC I am running the node on under this option as well.

Any ideas?

Check to see if the port is open here:
http://www.canyouseeme.org/

Thanks for that link!  I get this "Error: I could not see your service on 67.182.67.197 on port (7774)" so I guess my port is not actually open.  Not the best with networking stuff and have a brand new router so I am really guessing at how to "open a port" as I only see "port forwarding" and "port triggering" options in my router's settings.  I setup a port triggering for port 7774 and set the trigger for the IP address of the PC I am running the node on, not sure if this is correct but is where I am at now.  Router is a Netgear Nighthawk R8000 if anyone is familiar.

Just catching up, so bare with me.

Yes, that means your port is actually not opened and will not be picked up on the network.

I use: http://portforward.com/

IMJim
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 09:26:10 PM

Yeah port forwarding is different for all vendors and sometimes even within a vendor. Really irritating if you don't know the protocols.

You shouldn't have to do anything on the modem, as it's just the external connection, although I couldn't speak for any outside the UK.

If you have 7774 forwarded to the local IP address of your computer, AND your local computer's firewall has the port opened, it should be good to go.

This is not something I have checked, will look into this now.  Thanks.  Frustrating when you know it is some stupid simple flip of a switch somewhere:-)
Pizpie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 09:31:57 PM

This is not something I have checked, will look into this now.  Thanks.  Frustrating when you know it is some stupid simple flip of a switch somewhere:-)

Working on a more detailed walk through now for it in written format, and also have a video ready to go with it.

Pizpie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 09:34:49 PM

"Shares will be made available for purchase on traditional exchanges and on the NHZ
asset exchange."

The ITO offering for the 'Blocknet' project / ecosystem will be available on the NHZ asset exchange

IMJim
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 09:36:49 PM

Set new rule in Windows Firewall to open port 7774, still not working:-(  I don't know what else to try at this point, might have to give up the quest.
n00bnoxious

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 09:40:23 PM

Set new rule in Windows Firewall to open port 7774, still not working:-(  I don't know what else to try at this point, might have to give up the quest.

I'd help more if I had any more experience in Windows, but I'm a Unix guy. The nodes are far easier implemented as servers in the cloud.
IMJim
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 09:47:01 PM

Tried to open the port on the modem for the router, was all I could think of to try.  Didn't work of course.

Appreciate everyone's help in trying to get me going, but gonna have to give up at this point.  Lots of time messing around and not getting anywhere:-(

Many thanks to everyone though!!
Pizpie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 10:36:11 PM

Tried to open the port on the modem for the router, was all I could think of to try.  Didn't work of course.

Appreciate everyone's help in trying to get me going, but gonna have to give up at this point.  Lots of time messing around and not getting anywhere:-(

I'll PM you when we are done editing this document / video for how to set up the nodes on a PC, and run nodes via VPN / 3'rd party sources.

I realize a lot of people have been having issues, and we are looking to simplify the process.
A .exe is been considered as a 'one click install solution'

IMJim
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 11:16:37 PM

I'll PM you when we are done editing this document / video for how to set up the nodes on a PC, and run nodes via VPN / 3'rd party sources.

I realize a lot of people have been having issues, and we are looking to simplify the process.
A .exe is been considered as a 'one click install solution'

Appreciate bud and no worries!  The current docs seemed straight forward enough, minus of course how to open ports on specific routers which will be impossible anyways.  I didn't really have any troubles following them once I figured out I wasn't dealing with a normal wallet:-)  Don't really want to go the VPN route since I have this PC running 24x7 anyways so will be cool if I can get this to work on my PC.

Thanks again!
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 155 »
  Print  

Jump to: