Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 02:49:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could Elon Musk have been wrong about AI?  (Read 386 times)
axel20

Activity: 28
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 16, 2018, 11:40:41 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong with being at least a little worried about AI.  It has great potential, but there is also great danger.  Many scientists are worried about the possible sentience of AI.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Andrea9000

Activity: 210
Merit: 18

View Profile
November 18, 2018, 01:02:07 PM

I would like to survive until the time when artificial intelligence becomes a threat to mankind. It would be interesting to look at it before death. Such an attraction. Last)
JealousCup (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2018, 11:55:12 PM

I would like to survive until the time when artificial intelligence becomes a threat to mankind. It would be interesting to look at it before death. Such an attraction. Last)

There's a bit of funny in your phrase but I think it's really important for us to ensure we have the right infrastructures in place to prevent a virtual disaster that will impact the real world and potentially kill us all.
But, how would we know that our systems are resilient?
ClassyDancer

Activity: 126

View Profile
November 20, 2018, 12:28:12 AM

I think Musk is an eccentric person, but is quite consistent with his thoughts. If you follow him on Twitter, he’s just a pro-tech guys who’s a future-thinker. And didn’t one of his Tesla features (some kind of defense mode) which people initially thought was gimmicky, ended up helping people during the CA wildfires? He’s an innovative person and seemingly knows what we need before we even realize it.

And yeah, he’s working on Neuralink –something that will make us superhuman. What do you think about that?
JealousCup (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2018, 12:51:52 AM

I think Musk is an eccentric person, but is quite consistent with his thoughts. If you follow him on Twitter, he’s just a pro-tech guys who’s a future-thinker. And didn’t one of his Tesla features (some kind of defense mode) which people initially thought was gimmicky, ended up helping people during the CA wildfires? He’s an innovative person and seemingly knows what we need before we even realize it.

And yeah, he’s working on Neuralink –something that will make us superhuman. What do you think about that?

Don't get me wrong, I want the era of super and immortal humans to come but I think it's hypocritical of Elon Musk to warn about the dangers of a technology he's exploiting. I am just grateful that nobody took him seriously in that regard: There are now plenty of projects on digital immortality, so soon we'll be able to live in a supercomputer. Exciting, huh?
Serena_M

Activity: 38
Merit: 3

View Profile
November 20, 2018, 10:04:25 AM

I don't see it becoming a threat to whole humanity (at least not anytime soon), but as it's still programmed by a man himself, then without doubts some errors will happen and we cannot see what the outcome of that will be. Just fingers crossed that it will do more good than harm.

●● PrepayWay〚✙〛 | The New Paradigm of International Business ●●
╘══╡Simple Solution For Complex Processes╞══╛
flametoken
Copper Member

Activity: 61
Merit: 2

View Profile
November 20, 2018, 11:25:05 AM

Could you provide some links that we could read so that we can have more context about the topic that you are talking about?

There you go pal: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2018-10-22/kai-fu-lee-says-elon-musk-wrong-about-ai-danger-video.
And needless to say that Musk has been an open critic of AI development, yet his Neuralink project is moving forward. Is AI really that bad or is the guy confused?

I think precisely because he is a critic of the AI development he is working on Neuralink. He thinks that, by having a direct connection between brain and computer, we thwart the AI doomsday predictions, because the AI will be an extension of us and we will be in a symbiotic state. This is Elon's way of insuring that AI won't destroy humanity.
Michael_Cox

Activity: 67
Merit: 2

View Profile
November 20, 2018, 05:05:31 PM

Unlike the cognitive abilities of a human being with emotion being a factor in our decision making, AI would not have that same decision making factor therefore the AI would act logically in any situation regardless of remorse, but I hope the coding would make it not resort to violence and lethality. 

That description reminds me of a psychopath, who feel no such remorse when they did something wrong. Assuming we are talking of an AI that can think on its own, it makes me think if AI will be like that. They are intelligent, even more intelligent than the smartest human, but they are incapable of empathy.
JealousCup (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2018, 07:36:50 PM

Could you provide some links that we could read so that we can have more context about the topic that you are talking about?

There you go pal: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2018-10-22/kai-fu-lee-says-elon-musk-wrong-about-ai-danger-video.
And needless to say that Musk has been an open critic of AI development, yet his Neuralink project is moving forward. Is AI really that bad or is the guy confused?

I think precisely because he is a critic of the AI development he is working on Neuralink. He thinks that, by having a direct connection between brain and computer, we thwart the AI doomsday predictions, because the AI will be an extension of us and we will be in a symbiotic state. This is Elon's way of insuring that AI won't destroy humanity.

Well, I am all for technological progress and applaud the many projects on AI development, but I still maintain that Musk statements were part of a FUD strategy. At the end of it, it's just a matter of making money.
Nesferattu

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2018, 09:39:38 AM

Of course can, he is a person, and any person, can be mistaken
Ladysmith

Activity: 179
Merit: 16

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 10:50:25 AM

Everything can be considered dangerous, it depends on how it's used. Water is necessary for life. Too much at once could kill you.

AI will be extremely powerful, which is why it is imperative that it's used correctly. (not for war or crime).

Most people are hypocrites to some extent. It's only human to say one thing and do another. Elon Musk is also human, contrary to popular belief. Maybe he knows that singularity is inevitable, so he wants to make it as beneficial as possible so that humans can keep up. This is the nature of the neuralink. If you can' beat 'em, join 'em.

warhog15

Activity: 30

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 11:04:18 AM

Anyone can be right and can be wrong. But Elon is a very focus and determined guy. So even if he is wrong, I am sure that he will find a way to make it right.
JealousCup (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 10:46:31 PM

Everything can be considered dangerous, it depends on how it's used. Water is necessary for life. Too much at once could kill you.

AI will be extremely powerful, which is why it is imperative that it's used correctly. (not for war or crime).

Most people are hypocrites to some extent. It's only human to say one thing and do another. Elon Musk is also human, contrary to popular belief. Maybe he knows that singularity is inevitable, so he wants to make it as beneficial as possible so that humans can keep up. This is the nature of the neuralink. If you can' beat 'em, join 'em.

My point exactly. And if he's so worried about any potential danger that may come with AI development, why not focus on creating the infrastructures needed to prevent it from happening instead of discouraging his competitors?
scheascha

Activity: 43

View Profile
November 26, 2018, 03:32:31 PM

The fact that Elon is working in this sphere himself only makes me more afraid that he is right about. That means he got some knowledge and perspective that people like us dont.
JealousCup (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2018, 12:33:43 AM

The fact that Elon is working in this sphere himself only makes me more afraid that he is right about. That means he got some knowledge and perspective that people like us dont.

Right... just like those who are centralizing cryptos. Discouraging others from getting involved in a promising technological project for humanity.
joker6756

Activity: 32

View Profile
November 29, 2018, 03:17:40 PM

So you think that the guy who is working in this sphere is being wrong about its problems? I don`t.
JealousCup (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2018, 12:41:20 AM

So you think that the guy who is working in this sphere is being wrong about its problems? I don`t.

Not wrong but hypocritical to say the least.
Furthermore tech companies are the least transparent firms. If it was bad, they would have not invested in digitizing everything including intelligence that could potentially destroy us, so they say.
Emily_Davis

Activity: 71

View Profile
November 30, 2018, 03:09:17 PM

Furthermore tech companies are the least transparent firms. If it was bad, they would have not invested in digitizing everything including intelligence that could potentially destroy us, so they say.

What's wrong with digitizing things, including intelligence? Human intelligence, to be exact? If it can be possible in the future and it can extend the lives of the people then what's the harm? Besides, it's not like the man is using your money to maked these technology but his own, right? It might be too SciFi for a lot of people, but what if it really can be achieved? Think about it.
JealousCup (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2018, 11:21:35 PM

What's wrong with digitizing things, including intelligence? Human intelligence, to be exact? If it can be possible in the future and it can extend the lives of the people then what's the harm? Besides, it's not like the man is using your money to maked these technology but his own, right? It might be too SciFi for a lot of people, but what if it really can be achieved? Think about it.

Nothing wrong with it at all. I just think technology should be exploited by projects that have values and transparency regarding their activities.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: