Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 06:04:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Angry threat from BitStamp. Put myself in danger or they'll steel my money.  (Read 13630 times)
Window2Wall

Activity: 191
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2014, 09:03:12 PM

I would say that you would have the same level of identity theft risk giving money to bitstamp as you would giving your identity documents to your bank (that you had to give when you opened your bank accounts). I would suggest to provide identity documents (assuming you were not somehow laundering money through bitstamp, in which case I think you should eat the losses as you would be facing much stiffer penalties) to bitstamp and accept the fact that AML/KYC regulations are a thing of reality
alan2here (OP)

Activity: 1778
Merit: 504

WorkAsPro

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 03:49:04 PM

You might be right, but I'm not convinced.

Why do you think BitStamp is more competent and less crooked than all the others were? Apart from maybe having a nicer looking website.

And there intention is clear, has anyone here collected all these docs and got them sent, and had BitStamp acknowledge them and got there funds back?

████     ████     ████              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
████    █████▄    ███               ████▀▀▀▀███▄
 ███▄   ██▀███   ████   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ████    ▀███
 ▀███  ▄██  ██   ███                ████    ▄███
  ███  ██▀  ███ ▄███    ▄▄▄▄▄▄      ███████████▀
  ▀██▄ ██   ▀██ ███     ██████      ████
   ██████    ██████    ███  ███     ████
   ▀▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀▀▀    ▄██▀  ▀██▄    ▀▀▀▀
                      ███    ███
                     ████████████
                    ▄███      ███▄
                    ████      ████
....WorkAsPro...
First 
Crypto-powered
Freelance Service
....NO KYC...
0% Commission
....Fiverr Alternative...
Blockchain Voting System
    ▄█▀█▄
    █▄ ▄█
     ▀▀▀
▄▄  ▄███▄         █
██ ███ ██        █▀
██ ███ ██       ▄█
██ ███ ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
██ ▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 █▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
  ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▀█
▄█▀       ▀█▄ ▀█
▀▀         ▀▀  ▀▀
....Join us now...
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 04:06:28 PM

I don't know why people think this a problem witn the exchanges. If you don't like KYC/AML laws then you need to tell this to your government, not the exchanges. They do not make the rules and they are not going to violate the law so you can keep you 0.5BTC secret.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 03:18:25 AM

It's unfortunate, but the OP basically agreed to whatever BitStamp wants when he relinquished control of his money to them.

Now he is in a position where he has to either agree with their demands or fight them in an attempt to regain control of his money.

I find it shocking how many people, when presented with money that gives the user total control, are so willing to give that up for whatever reason.

The time to worry about this was before sending them money.

Correct answer.^^

By now I would think everyone posting on this forum should understand exchanges can't be trusted. Now if you're a beginning user lured to an exchange website by an advert or something that's different.

farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 12:39:03 PM

I don't know why people think this a problem witn the exchanges. If you don't like KYC/AML laws then you need to tell this to your government, not the exchanges. They do not make the rules and they are not going to violate the law so you can keep you 0.5BTC secret.
True , but if they allow you to deposit without verification then they have to let you withdraw in a reasonable amount of time as well if the rules change.

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
bitnanigans

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 10:38:19 AM

It sucks that they don't allow you access to your funds after suspending account activity just because the account isn't verified, but the process on Bitstamp is actually very easy, compared with other non-Bitcoin related services that I had to get verified for. There is nothing wrong with getting verified, withdrawing your funds and then closing your account to take your business elsewhere. And I doubt getting yourself verified on Bitstamp would put your life in danger. Seems rather paranoid. :/
btc-facebook
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 05:22:03 PM

True , but if they allow you to deposit without verification then they have to let you withdraw in a reasonable amount of time as well if the rules change.
When you sign up for an account with an exchange, you will need to accept (and agree to) certain terms that the exchange provides you. One of those terms is that you will submit certain KYC/AML documents so the exchange can verify your identity (and likely that you cannot withdraw any funds until these documents are received and accepted)

The exchange accepts your funds under the assumption that you will submit these documents (as you agreed to do so) in order for you to be able to trade on their marketplace.

I would say it would be a very different issue if the OP had sent KYC/AML documents to bitstamp and for whatever reason they were rejected.

I think you are correct from a moral standpoint, however from a legal standpoint it is much less clear.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2014, 06:49:37 PM

When you sign up for an account with an exchange, you will need to accept (and agree to) certain terms that the exchange provides you. One of those terms is that you will submit certain KYC/AML documents so the exchange can verify your identity (and likely that you cannot withdraw any funds until these documents are received and accepted)

Did Bitstamp have those terms the instant it opened for business? Did Bitstamp have those terms the instant the OP signed up?

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
alan2here (OP)

WorkAsPro

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 08:24:55 AM
Last edit: October 26, 2014, 09:08:12 AM by alan2here

Gox - Customer Data, Funds, Code

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=508762.0
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2081as/analysis_of_the_leaked_mtgox_database/

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/03/mt-gox-source-code-leaked-by-hackers-along-with-team-information-customer-data/

Coinbase - Customer Data

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/21wx59/coinbase_emails_and_names_leaked/
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/04/bitcoin-wallet-service-coinbase-faces-phishing-attacks-after-data-leak/

Bitcoinica - Funds

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoinica

BitScalper - Customer Passwords

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=63659.0

More minor leaks

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2hrg8h/bitfinex_privacy_leak_other_users_account/

There are more I cannot find links for, I've also not included the internal thefts in other exchanges, the Russian BTC forum leak, the US gov BTC related auction leak etc... And I don't know what was carefully sold instead of leaked to everyone.

Not my life that is in danger, just at a few dozen hours of it.

If it looks like you, let's say defrauded hundreds of pensioners, because your leaked legal documents were used in the frauds, can you be sure those peoples families won't react badly?

Can you imagine if you had to keep changing supermarkets like this, Asda, Tesco, Liddle, etc... With all Thease sorts of things happening to each.

Can you imagine me believing that "this time, the 6th time, it's different"?

Someone here has such a low opinion of banks, they think there is a similar level of safety.

And because it's apparently so easy to forget I seemingly need it in every post. I don't care about conventional privacy concerns, they can make publicly available all sorts of information about me as much as they like, but not legal documents.

███    ███
                     ████████████
                    ▄███      ███▄
                    ████      ████
....WorkAsPro...
First 
Crypto-powered
Freelance Service
....NO KYC...
0% Commission
Blockchain Voting System
    ▄█▀█▄
    █▄ ▄█
     ▀▀▀
▄▄  ▄███▄         █
██ ███ ██        █▀
██ ███ ██       ▄█
██ ███ ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
██ ▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 █▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
  ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▀█
▄█▀       ▀█▄ ▀█
▀▀         ▀▀  ▀▀
....Join us now...
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 12:26:07 AM

So alan2here you want to use BitStamp services, but you can't follow their terms. Go ahead and close your BitStamp account and trade your bitcoins elsewhere. BitStamp isn't required to please you and it's not a human right. You like them, you use them. You don't like them, you don't use them. What's the problem? Why is BitStamp required to follow YOUR rules, instead of theirs? Why are you so special?

opossum

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 10:20:22 AM

Did Bitstamp have those terms the instant it opened for business? Did Bitstamp have those terms the instant the OP signed up?
Most websites have clauses in their TOS that they have the ability to change the terms at their pleasure. Even if the answer to your questions are 'no' then their ability change the TOS at their pleasure would make your questions moot.

Also the message in the OP says that the OP was warned multiple times about this happening yet the OP still continued to keep funds at bitstamp

▄▄█████████▄▄
      ▄█████████████████▄
   ▄████▀            ▀████▄
  █████                █████▄
 ███████████████████████████▄
████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████        ██████        ████
 ████▄      ██████      ▄████
  ▀████     ██████    ▄████▀
    ▀████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████▀
      ▀▀██████████████▀▀
TIDEX

TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2014, 06:17:16 PM

Most websites have clauses in their TOS that they have the ability to change the terms at their pleasure. Even if the answer to your questions are 'no' then their ability change the TOS at their pleasure would make your questions moot.

Also the message in the OP says that the OP was warned multiple times about this happening yet the OP still continued to keep funds at bitstamp

Legally, not ethically moot.

The message in the OP says "I have not been able to withdraw my funds for some time before this notice."

So they changed the terms with no notice to lock up his funds. Legal, NOT ethical.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
alan2here (OP)

WorkAsPro

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 09:36:19 PM

www.zdnet.com/article/bitstamp-exchange-reopens-doors-after-5m-hack/

Every exchange has a series of huge thefts before they go bust, I'd like an apology from all those suggesting that BitStamp would be magically different.

So do they have enough BTC now to allow a run on the exchange, who knows.

Oh dear your identity has been stolen too, maybe, who knows, who cares, certainly not BitStamp.

███    ███
                     ████████████
                    ▄███      ███▄
                    ████      ████
....WorkAsPro...
First 
Crypto-powered
Freelance Service
....NO KYC...
0% Commission
Blockchain Voting System
    ▄█▀█▄
    █▄ ▄█
     ▀▀▀
▄▄  ▄███▄         █
██ ███ ██        █▀
██ ███ ██       ▄█
██ ███ ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
██ ▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 █▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
  ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▀█
▄█▀       ▀█▄ ▀█
▀▀         ▀▀  ▀▀
....Join us now...
seabass1985

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Think For Yourself Question Authority

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2015, 03:44:27 PM

This is absolutely observed, don't let them push you around. You have rights to!
croato

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

1BkEzspSxp2zzHiZTtUZJ6TjEb1hERFdRr

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 02:09:23 PM

So alan2here you want to use BitStamp services, but you can't follow their terms. Go ahead and close your BitStamp account and trade your bitcoins elsewhere. BitStamp isn't required to please you and it's not a human right. You like them, you use them. You don't like them, you don't use them. What's the problem? Why is BitStamp required to follow YOUR rules, instead of theirs? Why are you so special?

I guess alan2here is mad cause they changed rules, not let him know and now they even dont allow him to withdraw funds. I agree with alan, that is thievery and scam like. Even Banks dont act like that.
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2015, 07:55:15 PM

I guess alan2here is mad cause they changed rules, not let him know and now they even dont allow him to withdraw funds. I agree with alan, that is thievery and scam like. Even Banks dont act like that.

I've heard of banks changing their rules, not letting bitcoiners know, and then not allowing them to withdraw funds.

croato

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 08:27:57 PM

I've heard of banks changing their rules, not letting bitcoiners know, and then not allowing them to withdraw funds.

Big world, absolutely possiblle somewhere in 3rd world but in Western democraties you would most possibly sue that bank and win. Anyway, that is one of reasons we have Bitcoin now so not any gov/banker bump can take your money. I know if you dont own keys you own shiat, but anyway we should make better system than govs and banks or we lose one of reasons we have Bitcoin in first place.
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2015, 08:45:15 PM

Big world, absolutely possiblle somewhere in 3rd world but in Western democraties you would most possibly sue that bank and win. Anyway, that is one of reasons we have Bitcoin now so not any gov/banker bump can take your money. I know if you dont own keys you own shiat, but anyway we should make better system than govs and banks or we lose one of reasons we have Bitcoin in first place.

You're right, the US is a third world country and not a Western democracy.

croato

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 09:20:55 PM

You're right, the US is a third world country and not a Western democracy.

Or maybe ppl dont read all small letters in their contract in USA, idk. Anyway, even if in USA banks dont have to honour their contracts, we should build better system, right?
lolled

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 08:34:14 PM

I thinks banks are legally required to inform their users of any such thins. Atleast I do get emails from my bank if any changes in rules happen.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: