Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:43:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Spending and Receiving Stolen Coins.  (Read 8031 times)
SomeoneWeird (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 09:10:03 AM
Last edit: May 20, 2012, 09:41:12 AM by SomeoneWeird

The self-reported hacker from the recent Bitcoinica theft has been distributing stolen coins over IRC.

If you recieve offers of stolen coins or have been sent tainted bitcoins, visit https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=82581.0, for information on how to redeem them safely. As with any theft, law enforcement will likely become involved and stolen coins may subject you to criminal investigation and/or charges - please be safe!

Bitcoin-related channels will not tolerate soliciting or distributing stolen coins.

For more information regarding the situation, please visit https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=81045.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 09:59:12 AM

As with any theft, law enforcement will likely become involved and stolen coins may subject you to criminal investigation and/or charges - please be safe!

FUD in it's truest form... Roll Eyes

If I get Bitcoinica coins because somebody took a donation address of mine and spammed it in this IRC channel - how should I know and why should I care?!

I'd recommend this Bitcoinica hacker guy to just create a few transactions with huge transaction fees - good luck in tracking these!

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
sebastian

Activity: 129
Merit: 118

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 10:09:07 AM

Sukrim: Then you simply send all coins in your donation adress to 1BPKHoL1sAVnfzxnH38RfXYYcHrEcniUKW
Thats a special recovery adress set up for those that received stolen funds.
Sending all your coins in your donation adress to 1BPKHoL1sAVnfzxnH38RfXYYcHrEcniUKW will then "clear" your bad reputation so it will not affect you in the future.

You can check the transaction history on blockchainexplorer and check if the coins can be tracked back to the adress 18***yiczhXSSCTciVujNRkkMw1zQ***hp (Scammer's adress), then your coins are black and its just to send everything to 1BPKHoL1sAVnfzxnH38RfXYYcHrEcniUKW .

(putted *** in the adress to prevent it to be sent coins to by mistake)

Why you sould care? Yes because these coins do NOT belong to bitcoinica, rather their userbase, eg those using bitcoinica. Its not a "blame on yourself" type of thing, since the end users could not do anything to prevent this. And bitcoinica will not itself win or lose something on recovering the funds, rather than their reputation would be good if they recovered all the funds to its users.
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 10:17:26 AM

Bitcoin-related channels will not tolerate soliciting or distributing stolen coins.

what about soliciting for the purpose of sending them back to bitcoinica?
Kettenmonster

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

bool eval(bool b){return b ? b==true : b==false;}

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 10:52:53 AM

Sukrim: Then you simply send all coins in your donation adress to 1BPKxyz1234567 ...
nonononononooooooooooooooo all wrong, the correct address to send those coins to is: 1NpVWAGqt7fLoYKnAXnYuKkJxMFEKE7tUq
I will certainly take very good care of all those coins!  Grin

The paining (sic!) is done with the QPainter class inside the paintEvent() method.
(source: my internet)
sebastian

Activity: 129
Merit: 118

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 10:56:20 AM

Kettenmonster: I know what you mean, you suspect the 1BPK adress is mine but thats not true, just verify with the thread linked that Luke-Jr written and you will see that the adress I specifyed match with that thread.
EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 11:20:46 AM

Care to explain that a little more?

What channels are you talking about?

Trying to follow and block tainted coins is extremely dangerous and stupid. It's worse than blocking people by IP. I guess that's precisely what the hacker wants - distribute the money the more he can so that a tainting attempt becomes a disaster.
Many innocent people will end up with a fraction of this theft in their wallets, and in many cases it won't be in the form of a "donation".
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 11:30:02 AM

This thread: so much FUD

So if i end up with stolen coins and i don't read the forum daily police arrest me? Ok guys bye, i'm back using fiat money and credit cards  Undecided

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 11:33:10 AM

If the hacker needs addresses to send stolen coins you guys can give him the address in my signature. :-)
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 12:03:30 PM

+1 for all the posts advocating fungibility.
onelineproof

Activity: 100
Merit: 14

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2012, 12:07:21 PM

Unless you don't believe in net neutrality / free speech on the internet, there is nothing wrong with requesting and keeping coins that were hacked. Of course, there may be some legal issues involved, so weigh the risks accordingly.

But if you do receive these "tainted" bitcoins, it's completely against the decentralized design of Bitcoin to send them to some central authority (in this case Luke's address) for proper return to their owner. Why should I trust this central authority to properly return the Bitcoin? Why not return them in another way that I see fit?

The uncorrupted Bitmark protocol: https://github.com/bitmark-protocol/bitmark
Email <my username>@gmail.com 0xB6AC822C451D63046A2849E97DB7011CD53B564
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 12:08:53 PM

Unless you don't believe in net neutrality / free speech on the internet, there is nothing wrong with requesting and keeping coins that were hacked. Of course, there may be some legal issues involved, so weigh the risks accordingly.

But if you do receive these "tainted" bitcoins, it's completely against the decentralized design of Bitcoin to send them to some central authority (in this case Luke's address) for proper return to their owner. Why should I trust this central authority to properly return the Bitcoin? Why not return them in another way that I see fit?

Yeah. Why can't zhoutong put up an address so we can return them ourselves without them going through Luke's pockets first Huh

I trust Luke because he is a dev but zhoutong should post his address here !
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 12:11:51 PM

Zhou Tong shouldn't post shit. Those are bitcoinica's coins, not Zhou Tong's coins...
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 12:18:19 PM

Lol i didn't notice it was luke's address. Fail is now over 9000

gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2012, 12:39:59 PM

Lol i didn't notice it was luke's address. Fail is now over 9000

Patrick from Bitcoin Consultancy agreed with Luke setting this up when it was going on.  There isn't any funny business going on there.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 12:47:15 PM

Trying to follow and block tainted coins is extremely dangerous and stupid. It's worse than blocking people by IP. I guess that's precisely what the hacker wants - distribute the money the more he can so that a tainting attempt becomes a disaster.
Many innocent people will end up with a fraction of this theft in their wallets, and in many cases it won't be in the form of a "donation".
+1

I personally don't mind spending and receiving stolen coins for exactly this kind of reason.

If the hacker needs addresses to send stolen coins you guys can give him the address in my signature. :-)
My address too. We can split the stolen coins equally. That seems like the fairest thing to do. Any other takers? Grin

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
vampire

Activity: 574

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 01:43:41 PM

The self-reported hacker from the recent Bitcoinica theft has been distributing stolen coins over IRC.

If you recieve offers of stolen coins or have been sent tainted bitcoins, visit https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=82581.0, for information on how to redeem them safely. As with any theft, law enforcement will likely become involved and stolen coins may subject you to criminal investigation and/or charges - please be safe!

For more information regarding the situation, please visit https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=81045.0

This is BS. While we're at this silliness, we can also charge Patrick with criminal negligence.
Kettenmonster

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 03:33:50 PM

Kettenmonster: I know what you mean, you suspect the 1BPK adress is mine but thats not true, ...
... so you know that?
That explains why I should believe you now, doesn´t it?

The paining (sic!) is done with the QPainter class inside the paintEvent() method.
Kettenmonster

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 03:36:21 PM

... Any other takers? Grin
Hey bugger, me was first!!!111oneoneshifteleven  Shocked

publio

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 04:18:07 PM

Kettenmonster: I know what you mean, you suspect the 1BPK adress is mine but thats not true, ...
... so you know that?
That explains why I should believe you now, doesn´t it?

You're misquoting

[...] just verify with the thread linked that Luke-Jr written and you will see that the adress I specifyed match with that thread.

This thread is fail though.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: