Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:38:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cairnsmore2 - What would you like?  (Read 11553 times)
spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 02:00:41 PM

Yohan,

can you tell us what kind of chip will CM2 eventually use? Still a FPGA or something else?

spiccioli
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gomeler

Activity: 697
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 05:23:09 PM

Yohan,

can you tell us what kind of chip will CM2 eventually use? Still a FPGA or something else?

spiccioli

Spiccioli has had great suggestions. A reset button would be amazing. Even if Goliath uses FPGAs, if they achieve similar $/GH/s and GH/w efficiencies of what is on the market then they would sell well. Besides the delay on getting it up to effective hashing speeds and the occasional USB drop(down to once a week or so!) I've been thrilled with my CM1s. If I could just stack CM2s on top of my CM1 stack that'd be awesome.

Still really hoping you guys release a product rather than mine in-house under a bond structure. Or do both. There are plenty of us that would rather throw our money at you than debate over which manufacturer is more likely to deliver to our door in the next year.
steamboat

Activity: 648
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 07:07:12 PM

Last but not least,

add a power cycle button, on CM1s you need to remove pcie connector and usb connetor to power cycle them.

Remove power from usb connector, makes life easier finding a usb hub Wink and, maybe, a different usb chip which does not lockup when powering boards on like it happens on a couple of my CM1s.

spiccioli

This x 1000000000. It was so unbelievably annoying having to unplug usb and power to cycle the boards.

As an aside. Will there be any kind of trade in policy for the CM2?

ASIC miners available for purchase

Those who serve best, profit most.
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 09:48:11 PM

Still really hoping you guys release a product rather than mine in-house under a bond structure. Or do both. There are plenty of us that would rather throw our money at you than debate over which manufacturer is more likely to deliver to our door in the next year.

Couldn't have said it better. Am much more interesting in participating on this project (however Yohan decides, either as a customer or something else), than with the other options.
yohan (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 08:23:44 PM

We are still playing with the Cairnsmore2 design that is our current testbed design and that is looking good. Out of that work we think a base module of about 1TH/s is practical size for us to build overall units out of and that is what we are working on next. Please don't bombard us with emails or PMs asking about the price as at this point we won't say and it isn't even totally set. I can say it will be set generally by a combination market forces and manufacture costs so you can make a reasonable zone guess from existing competitiion pricing what that might be. However if that market price doesn't meet our expectations we probably won't launch the product and just feed the design into our internal Goliath systems. Assuming we do go for public launch (we are still examining IP issues as well) pricing will be available at formal product launch.

Anyway point of this post is to get a straw poll of how many people might be interested in products at this sort level of hardware investment?
papamoi

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 08:26:26 PM

We are still playing with the Cairnsmore2 design that is our current testbed design and that is looking good. Out of that work we think a base module of about 1TH/s is practical size for us to build overall units out of and that is what we are working on next. Please don't bombard us with emails or PMs asking about the price as at this point we won't say and it isn't even totally set. I can say it will be set generally by a combination market forces and manufacture costs so you can make a reasonable zone guess from existing competitiion pricing what that might be. However if that market price doesn't meet our expectations we probably won't launch the product and just feed the design into our internal Goliath systems. Assuming we do go for public launch (we are still examining IP issues as well) pricing will be available at formal product launch.

Anyway point of this post is to get a straw poll of how many people might be interested in products at this sort level of hardware investment?

what is the difference between goliath and cairnsmore?
tnkflx

Activity: 349

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 08:27:49 PM

I'm interested.

| Operating electrum.be & us.electrum.be |
nbtcminer

Activity: 249

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 08:28:57 PM

Interested.
Isokivi

Activity: 910

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 08:29:33 PM

You have my attention aswell.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
mtminer

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:04:02 PM

Interested.
MXRider

Activity: 466

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:04:32 PM

One terahash for me. Thank you.
yohan (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:05:25 PM

[/quote]

Goliath the family name for our really big computing systems and encompasses a range of our technologies and is for a much wide range of applications. Basically it's our twist on a supercomputer.

Cairnsmore family is specifically Bitcoin targeted technology and generally much smaller thing than the overall Goliath concept. The Cairnsmore3 we are talking about here would be considered a "small" processing element or even a co-processor within a Goliath to put it in context. When used outside these systems but it can be a "small" system in it's own right.
Doff

Activity: 327

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:07:17 PM

Id be interested, my Cainsmore 1 still running strong.
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:08:01 PM

I am interested.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
yohan (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:13:38 PM

Id be interested, my Cainsmore 1 still running strong.

Most of them are. There may be an odd one we don't know about but failure rate is very much less than 1% over the very large build. I think it's fair to say that the cooling solution has done very well. Looks like we are building several hundred more in the nxt few weeks to keep up with current demand as well.
spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:19:56 PM

Interested, even if there are a lot of unknowns:

- delivery time
- power consumption
- price

spiccioli
papamoi

Activity: 378

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:23:11 PM

Goliath the family name for our really big computing systems and encompasses a range of our technologies and is for a much wide range of applications. Basically it's our twist on a supercomputer.

Cairnsmore family is specifically Bitcoin targeted technology and generally much smaller thing than the overall Goliath concept. The Cairnsmore3 we are talking about here would be considered a "small" processing element or even a co-processor within a Goliath to put it in context. When used outside these systems but it can be a "small" system in it's own right.

[/quote]
ok i m in also

but do you have  an idea of when?

and if you have a wholesale price ,i would be interested in more than one Smiley

bitblazing

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:46:51 PM

interested
yohan (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:49:58 PM

ok i m in also

but do you have  an idea of when?

and if you have a wholesale price ,i would be interested in more than one Smiley

[/quote]

We won't talk about the detail until we are ready. It's really market evaluation at the moment and whilst the base technology is in Cairnsmore2 we still have a little jump to what would be Cairnsmore3. That timeline is stretchy as this is one of many projects that we are doing and it isn't our most important project commercially. We also have a very major product launch coming so everyone here will involved in that for the next 2 months and that will hit everything that we do. So rather than promise timescales, as certain of competitors would do and then fail badly to keep them, I won't fix a timescale that could easily get broken. I know that will be a pain to people making decisions but just talking about what we are doing it is the best I can offer currently.
Slipbye

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:51:29 PM

As expressed I'm happy to invest in whatever you have available Yohan so stick me down from some more enterpoint goodness  Wink
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: