Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:01:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea: Diablo III Bitcoin Auction House  (Read 3998 times)
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 08:13:14 PM

If only I had a reliable solution of input/output i.e. how you deliver in game assets to the customers and how they deliver in game assets to you!

Give me the above solution (or idea) and I am on board for this project, otherwise seems like a waste of time.

-

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 08:14:50 PM

To add to this ... I think the idea is fantastic if people are already using Bitcoin and the RMAH didn't exist.  Unfortunately, neither of these are true, and thus the idea is DOA.

Users don't want to go out and purchase some weird currency prone to theft,  and install potential malware on their system, just so they can pay a stranger over the internet for items that may never be sent.

Relative to that, 15% fee seems completely fair for the 100% scam-proof, easy-to-understand method of just using the RMAH.  I think 15% is ludicrous actually... Blizzard is being ridiculously greedy.  But they'll get away with it because they know how desperately users want to be able to buy and sell items to other users, and they know users will pay it.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Fuzzy

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 09:20:06 PM
Last edit: May 22, 2012, 09:32:21 PM by Fuzzy

If only I had a reliable solution of input/output i.e. how you deliver in game assets to the customers and how they deliver in game assets to you!

The BTC auction house would act as a middle man/arbiter and meeting place for sellers/buyers. Someone lists an item, funds are sent by the buyer and held by the house, once the item is confirmed as delivered in game by the buyer, funds are released to the seller. Maybe have sellers video cap the in game transaction? A rep system based on number of items and value sold/bought will help keep things honest, but isn't 100% guaranteed.

Give me the above solution (or idea) and I am on board for this project, otherwise seems like a waste of time.

I wouldn't suggest undertaking something like this as a means of income or guaranteed profit. If you aren't into this out of curiosity alone, then this is far too risky in terms of time wasted.

Users don't want to go out and purchase some weird currency prone to theft,  and install potential malware on their system, just so they can pay a stranger over the internet for items that may never be sent.

It does sound grim when you put it that way.

I think 15% is ludicrous actually... Blizzard is being ridiculously greedy.  But they'll get away with it because they know how desperately users want to be able to buy and sell items to other users, and they know users will pay it.

If you think about it, the goods you are selling are nothing but digital items spawned according to their rules in their game.

It's genius how they turn their customers into cash farmers.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 10:27:26 PM

I play Hardcore and their is not a real money AH for hardcore players...

exactly, that's why everything (including  storing the bitcoins) would be handled by the exchange. users just have to keep his login password safe

Relative to that, 15% fee seems completely fair for the 100% scam-proof, easy-to-understand method of just using the RMAH.  I think 15% is ludicrous actually... Blizzard is being ridiculously greedy.  But they'll get away with it because they know how desperately users want to be able to buy and sell items to other users, and they know users will pay it.

15% kinda sucks, wtf do they do with the gold anyway  Roll Eyes

I would definitely we willing contribute my time and skills to collaborate on it if someone in web programming were to willing, and if we could somehow work around the eula  Huh

I am a diablo3 player and a web dev.
I would be interested in working with you on this project
I have my own idea of how it should work

sending PM, lets do this thing!

MaxSan

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 10:44:27 PM

Would use.

As would half our dev team Wink
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2012, 12:02:43 AM

exactly, that's why everything (including  storing the bitcoins) would be handled by the exchange. users just have to keep his login password safe

Oh, I misunderstood.  I thought the service was simply for letting users post and bid on things and handle the cash themselves.  If you're talking about a service, with customer support, then you'll have to take some profit in order to sustain non-trivial costs of maintenance and handling user issues/complaints, etc.  And you risk violating Blizzard EULAs unless you plan to be completely detached from the game and only handle the money side.  But then that means you have no way to verify whether the seller actually transferred the items to the buyer.  Have fun arbitrating disputes...

In the end, Blizzard is being greedy, but I don't think there's a legit way for competition to step in, even if they could get away with it legally.

On the other hand, if we're talking Diablo II and all sales are between strangers trusting each other over the internet, then Bitcoin fills the niche pretty well.  But I think Blizzard has firmly undercut any potential competition on this one...

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2012, 11:30:52 PM

Oh, I misunderstood.  I thought the service was simply for letting users post and bid on things and handle the cash themselves.  If you're talking about a service, with customer support, then you'll have to take some profit in order to sustain non-trivial costs of maintenance and handling user issues/complaints, etc.  And you risk violating Blizzard EULAs unless you plan to be completely detached from the game and only handle the money side.  But then that means you have no way to verify whether the seller actually transferred the items to the buyer.  Have fun arbitrating disputes...

In the end, Blizzard is being greedy, but I don't think there's a legit way for competition to step in, even if they could get away with it legally.

On the other hand, if we're talking Diablo II and all sales are between strangers trusting each other over the internet, then Bitcoin fills the niche pretty well.  But I think Blizzard has firmly undercut any potential competition on this one...

actually we are now talking about doing a simple exchange D3gold / BTC
I think this would be much easier to do well, and would be more piratical for users. ( no need for strangers trusting each other over the internet  Tongue )

they would send BTC to the exchange to buy D3Gold
or
they would send D3Gold to the exchange to buy BTC

this would be a free market like all other bitcoin exchanges.

etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2012, 11:51:52 PM

You're going to need Diablo III accounts to handle the transfers of the D3 gold.  That puts you at risk of getting banned, getting stuff confiscated, etc.

You might consider just holding the BTC and letting the players do the money transfer. That's a lot less risk for you.  But I don't know the details of transferring gold in D3...

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 12:00:02 AM

You're going to need Diablo III accounts to handle the transfers of the D3 gold.  That puts you at risk of getting banned, getting stuff confiscated, etc.

You might consider just holding the BTC and letting the players do the money transfer. That's a lot less risk for you.  But I don't know the details of transferring gold in D3...

right, i need to find out how game gold sellers are doing it.

http://www.offgamers.com/diablo/d3/diablo-3-gold-us/all-server-normal-mode-c-4143-5166-5226-5227.ogm?gclid=CMi4s8zOl7ACFQlN4AodPzEG1w
why is it hes not getting banned?

Ferroh

Activity: 111
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 02:47:33 AM

While this is not an auction house, you can purchase D3 gold with bitcoin here https://ferroh.com/d3

If I understood correctly, you are suggesting that we set up an ebay like service for D3 items (where users can sell directly to one another)?

It might work for hardcore, where there is no RMAH.
ElectricMucus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 08:09:54 AM

I now wasted enough time with the game (not as much as with this forum yet  Shocked ) to know how it can be done and how the AH system works in game. I still see alot of potential for this.

Technically and practically, yes in every regard.

Lawsuit proof, probably not at least not the fully automated, completely fraud proof part.

mrkent

Activity: 249
Merit: 256

Try Purse Instant! https://purse.io/instant

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 11:18:59 PM

I've had this idea for a while and spoke with a few in the community about it (Matthew Wright can confirm).

The two main advantages of using a website instead of RMAH is:
1. Price can be MUCH lower
2. FEATURES, such as more advanced searching/filtering, historical data, etc.

I've been reluctant to invest too much time into it, because D3 economy is totally fucked, and Blizzard is taking steps to further fuck it up with each patch.
If any developers would like to work together, let me know.

Spend BTCBTCBTCBTCBTCBTC @ amazon
Save 10-25% with Ƀ worldwide - PurseIO
Anonymously▃▃▃▃▃▃ ⌚Fast ⚖Safe ⓑOn Credit
Buy BTC w. Card
  Worldwide - Purse.IO
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 11:54:48 PM

Biggest issue is still delivery imho.

Either the exchange holds items/gold in escrow --> easy to ban from Blizzard side.

Right from the beginning of the EULA:
2. Additional License Limitations. The license granted to you in Section 1 is subject to the limitations set forth in Sections 1 and 2 (collectively, the "License Limitations"). Any use of the Service or any Game in violation of the License Limitations will be regarded as an infringement of Blizzard’s copyrights in and to the Service and/or Game. You agree that you will not, under any circumstances:
    [...]
    2.2 exploit the Service, a Game or any part thereof for any commercial purpose, including without limitation (a) use at a cyber cafe, computer gaming center or any other commercial establishment without the express written consent of Blizzard, unless otherwise stated in a EULA; (b) to communicate or facilitate any commercial advertisement or solicitation; (c) for gathering in-game currency, items or resources for sale outside the Game without Blizzard’s authorization; (d) selling or trading Game characters or accounts for the Service and/or a Game; or (e) performing in-game services in exchange for payment outside the Game, e.g., power-leveling;
    [...]
    2.4 buy or sell for real money or in exchange for in-game currency, items or resources that may be used in a Game outside the Game without Blizzard’s authorization;
After you've been banned, you'd have to go to court - good luck with that!

Otherwise, delivery would have to be done by the people advertising --> scams, scams everywhere! It might be possible to have someone from the exchange as a 3rd person in the game (A sells item X to B --> A gives item X to escrower, escrower releases BTC to A and hands item X to B ingame) but then it doesn't scale or requires bots, which is something that Blizzard might be even more allergic to than selling gold/items outside of the game.

You could offer a service to fund anyone's BattleNet balance with your PayPal account paid with BTC though, which would be something similar to an exchange operation.

Something else that might work would be to use the official (gold) Auction House to transfer gold. There are high fees, but in the end ingame all you do is trading. It might still be bannable, but harder to detect maybe. It'd work like this (if you want to have gold):
* Get a unique item (blue or higher, random cheap one from running Act 1 on Normal difficulty for 2 minutes)
* Put it up in the auction house for a buyout of the amount of gold you want to have
* Post the exact values of this auction + item to the web site
* As soon as the auction is verified as being truly unique (no other auction with an item that has the exact same item values and buyout), it is bought by the counter party who sold the gold

The 15% fees are happening there again though...

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
ElectricMucus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2012, 09:32:25 AM

Yes Sukrim that are exactly the issues we would be facing.

However since trading items for bitcoins might not be selling them in some interpretation because it is not recognized legal tender. Oh the irony... Wink

There is a fairly easy way to automate the process without hacking the game, well almost, I would choose a microcontroller acting as a USB mouse/keyboard. This way Blizz can patch process monitoring in their software all they want.
It will most likely be get the account banned if Blizzard gets wind of it but I doubt there would be a lawsuit.

But yes using real person escrower would work and was also what I had in mind. This can scale very well if you enable people to earn their share acting as escrow if they have high reputation.
mrkent

Activity: 249
Merit: 256

Try Purse Instant! https://purse.io/instant

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2012, 12:47:56 AM

Yes Sukrim that are exactly the issues we would be facing.

However since trading items for bitcoins might not be selling them in some interpretation because it is not recognized legal tender. Oh the irony... Wink

Biggest issue is still delivery imho.

What I've been thinking might be the best way is to make the site very similar to bitmit/ebay, except with the ability for sellers to say "I'm online." That way, no escrows are needed because transactions are completed within 5 minutes. Auctions of this nature would then be more desirable for the majority of items being sold.

Spend BTCBTCBTCBTCBTCBTC @ amazon
Save 10-25% with Ƀ worldwide - PurseIO
Anonymously▃▃▃▃▃▃ ⌚Fast ⚖Safe ⓑOn Credit
Buy BTC w. Card
  Worldwide - Purse.IO
mikegogulski

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 11:31:31 PM

I own the domain btc2diablo.com if anyone's interested in acquiring it.

FREE ROSS ULBRICHT, allegedly one of the Dread Pirates Roberts of the Silk Road
ElectricMucus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 11:56:12 PM

For some reason I am not that interested in DiabloIII anymore, the game was a little disappointing, I don't really play it any more.

Other than that: Domain squatting sucks.

GTFO
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 12:02:28 AM

you probably know already: https://ogrr.com/
ElectricMucus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 12:04:10 AM

Please don't encourage the guy.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 12:06:02 AM

Please don't encourage the guy.

I was trying to discourage him actually
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: