Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:22:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FeedZeBirds UPDATE Feb 9, 2013  (Read 23796 times)
DeaDTerra
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 06:35:02 PM

Can someone please tell me why are there bids higher than 0.08667? Is there any advantage in doing that? Thanks.
It guarantees that you get the shares if there's enough bids to buy all the shares that are being issued
But as this is not the case it has no advantage.
//DeaDTerra

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitfoo
Donator

Activity: 289
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 06:39:09 PM

Can someone please tell me why are there bids higher than 0.08667? Is there any advantage in doing that? Thanks.
It guarantees that you get the shares if there's enough bids to buy all the shares that are being issued
//DeaDTerra

You can't be sure of that yet. IPOs tend to get sniped at the last moment quite often.

DeaDTerra
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 06:48:05 PM

//DeaDTerra

You can't be sure of that yet. IPOs tend to get sniped at the last moment quite often.
True, I just stated the case at it was at that moment Smiley
//DeaDTerra
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 06:52:45 PM

Aha, Thanks for info DeaDTerra. I thought the sistem is time related (early placed bids are first to be executed).
DeaDTerra
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 06:53:38 PM

Aha, Thanks for info DeaDTerra. I thought the sistem is time related (early placed bids are first to be executed).
No it's price that decides who gets the shares Smiley
//DeaDTerra
bitfoo
Donator

Activity: 289

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 06:57:35 PM

I believe that's true too. For bids that are at the same price, earlier ones get priority.

unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 07:04:07 PM

I'm somewhat surprised there isn't more excitement for something that isn't pirate related, but glad that it looks like I'll get all the shares I can afford.

The more real businesses we get on the exchange, the better.

+1
jackmaninov

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 07:09:52 PM

I believe that's true too. For bids that are at the same price, earlier ones get priority.

In a real stock market priority going to early bids is important, but on GLBSE people can simply outbid you by 1 satoshi and get priority. Bidding 1 satoshi higher on an order of 1000 shares stills costs you well under $0.01, so there's no real reason not to do it. The result is that the practical cost of sniping shares is zero.
bearbones

Activity: 316

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 07:14:11 PM

In a real stock market priority going to early bids is important, but on GLBSE people can simply outbid you by 1 satoshi and get priority. Bidding 1 satoshi higher on an order of 1000 shares stills costs you well under $0.01, so there's no real reason not to do it. The result is that the practical cost of sniping shares is zero.

I love that about pricing in Bitcoin. Granularity is important. If the purpose of the market is to find the right price, then how much more right is the price when it is accurate to a an extra 6 decimal places? Smiley

Feed Ze Birds Pay and get paid for tweets
Coinapult Send Bitcoins easily over email or text message
jackmaninov

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 07:17:13 PM

I love that about pricing in Bitcoin. Granularity is important. If the purpose of the market is to find the right price, then how much more right is the price when it is accurate to a an extra 6 decimal places? Smiley

It still makes things annoying given how flaky GLBSE can be under load, or when IPOs don't actually release their shares on time (since its a manual operation).
jackmaninov

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 07:29:49 PM

We made a new campaign for a last minute marketing push. Everyone tweet! http://www.feedzebirds.com/3g9lk

I really like that you can retweet this and have the proceeds go straight into your GLBSE account where you can use it to buy FZB. You can bootstrap into bitcoin stock ownership without ever having your own wallet!

I wouldn't count on being paid out in time... Wink
bearbones

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 07:31:20 PM

The shares are in the wild. Have fun. Cheesy

jackmaninov

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 07:32:59 PM

The shares are in the wild. Have fun. Cheesy

Congrats to all (especially Nefario) for a smooth IPO.
ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 07:33:41 PM

We made a new campaign for a last minute marketing push. Everyone tweet! http://www.feedzebirds.com/3g9lk

I really like that you can retweet this and have the proceeds go straight into your GLBSE account where you can use it to buy FZB. You can bootstrap into bitcoin stock ownership without ever having your own wallet!

I wouldn't count on being paid out in time... Wink

I'm definitely not, but it is interesting that there's multiple ways to get free or cheap bitcoins (admittedly in small amounts) and you can invest them in small amounts for some good returns. And all without needing a wallet of your own. Kinda reminds me of playing that Neuromancer game, where you started off waking up in a plate of spaghetti and have to build your way back up, bootstrapping a small start and growing it.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 07:35:35 PM

I'm somewhat surprised there isn't more excitement for something that isn't pirate related, but glad that it looks like I'll get all the shares I can afford.

The more real businesses we get on the exchange, the better.

+1
I was interested, but the company is vastly overvalued, IMO.  I think when I calculated it, the per-share IPO puts the valuation of the company at $43,000 or so.  It's just not worth that much given the past earnings.
bearbones

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 08:00:22 PM

I was interested, but the company is vastly overvalued, IMO.  I think when I calculated it, the per-share IPO puts the valuation of the company at $43,000 or so.  It's just not worth that much given the past earnings.

I'm in a similar boat. Also, twitter just isn't my bag.

That said I am sure they will be successful and maybe they will prove us wrong.

Value is, of course, subjective. Based on how other companies with similar business models are faring, I don't think we'll have any trouble justifying our price pretty quickly. Smiley

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 08:50:27 PM

Technically wouldn't the IPO'd shares at 0.08667 be "same time or earlier" than my bid, and thus no matter my bid amount as long as it is at 0.08667 BTC or higher, the trade will occur at 0.08667 until all those at that price have sold out?

I would think that to be a flaw in how IPOs are handled.  You want to have bidders willing to go higher, to know the true demand for the IPO'd shares.  This way it makes it that the investor needs to personally attend the account during the IPO, rather than allowing orders to be entered well in advance and let the system market do what markets do.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

k

Activity: 451

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 08:54:21 PM

Saw this blog post today and thought it was interesting in relation to the discussion above on the minimum trade increments.

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2012/05/should-stocks-trade-in-0001-increments.html
bearbones

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 09:15:00 PM

Saw this blog post today and thought it was interesting in relation to the discussion above on the minimum trade increments.

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2012/05/should-stocks-trade-in-0001-increments.html

That was a great read. I'd never thought about high speed trading as an alternative to precise pricing, but it seems so obvious.

jackmaninov

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 01:27:41 AM

So GLBSE has effectively taken this issue to the other extreme, where I would argue that the one satoshi increment is so small that no value is being added to the market by such small incremental bids in order to snipe shares.

Suppose an IPO of 30000 shares is offered and an arbitrage bot can outbid the offer price by one satoshi in the millisecond before the shares are offered, then turns around and resells the shares. Is the extra 30000 satoshis the issuer receives actually a benefit to them? Or suppose that two arbitrage bots are outbidding each other by 1 satoshi as quickly as GLBSE can process the orders. One will win the shares, but is that winner "smarter" at discovering the "true price"?  Would that price ever have been discovered if there wasn't a pointless race?

/rantcomplete
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: