Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:12:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Good news! Gavin Andresen: I think everybody should switch to talking in "bits"  (Read 3838 times)
101111 (OP)

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 04:01:16 AM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2jw5pm/im_gavin_andresen_chief_scientist_at_the_bitcoin/clfqrlg

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
KingOfTrolls

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 07:14:42 AM

So what?

Gavin is an expert on technology, not language.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-authority
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 07:43:48 AM

If everyone does it it works... we need all trading sites to list in bits for starters but it gets awkward if you pricing alt coins in bits, everyone has to change.
101111 (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:09:28 AM
Last edit: October 22, 2014, 08:30:06 AM by 101111

So what?

Nice try, but you need to brush up a bit. Gavin is one of the top thought leaders in the Bitcoin space; as well as Chief Scientist, he's also a published writer and entrepreneur.

And what do you mean, 'so what'? That your own opinion counts for more than his? (That's what it sounds like). You think you can so easily dismiss his opinion? I got news for you, compared to him no one cares what you think.

Furthermore, this is not about something that is or is not true, it's about an opinion.

Appeal to Authority Fallacy: because an authority thinks something, it must therefore be true.

It's important to note that this fallacy should not be used to dismiss the claims of experts, or scientific consensus. Appeals to authority are not valid arguments, but nor is it reasonable to disregard the claims of experts who have a demonstrated depth of knowledge unless one has a similar level of understanding and/or access to empirical evidence. However it is, entirely possible that the opinion of a person or institution of authority is wrong; therefore the authority that such a person or institution holds does not have any intrinsic bearing upon whether their claims are true or not.

Consider yourself fortunate to get educated on something you did not know (I've got a soft spot for all bitcoiners no matter how recalcitrant), but by all means keep to your own opinion about bits if you wish.
BitmoreCoin

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:16:04 AM

I think every one else has to change to bits.
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:17:26 AM

"bits" still have too low of a value in my opinion.

I really don't want to have to speak in units of $0.000386, that really just seems more messy than speaking in whole bitcoins for now.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
101111 (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:37:27 AM

"bits" still have too low of a value in my opinion.

I really don't want to have to speak in units of $0.000386, that really just seems more messy than speaking in whole bitcoins for now.
You might have reversed the logic. A switch to bits would remove the messy 0.000 etc. Eg a coffee might cost 1,000 bits.
turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:45:24 AM

So what?

Nice try, but you need to brush up a bit. Gavin is one of the top thought leaders in the Bitcoin space; as well as Chief Scientist, he's also a published writer and entrepreneur.

And what do you mean, 'so what'? That your own opinion counts for more than his? (That's what it sounds like). You think you can so easily dismiss his opinion? I got news for you, compared to him no one cares what you think.

Furthermore, this is not about something that is or is not true, it's about an opinion.

Appeal to Authority Fallacy: because an authority thinks something, it must therefore be true.

It's important to note that this fallacy should not be used to dismiss the claims of experts, or scientific consensus. Appeals to authority are not valid arguments, but nor is it reasonable to disregard the claims of experts who have a demonstrated depth of knowledge unless one has a similar level of understanding and/or access to empirical evidence. However it is, entirely possible that the opinion of a person or institution of authority is wrong; therefore the authority that such a person or institution holds does not have any intrinsic bearing upon whether their claims are true or not.

Consider yourself fortunate to get educated on something you did not know (I've got a soft spot for all bitcoiners no matter how recalcitrant), but by all means keep to your own opinion about bits if you wish.
What part of
didn't you understand?

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
madmat
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:58:40 AM

I like the idea of using bits. But i am french, and in french "bit" and "bits" are pronounced as "bite", which means "cock"
Towlie

Activity: 65

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 09:06:42 AM

I like the idea of using bits. But i am french, and in french "bit" and "bits" are pronounced as "bite", which means "cock"

So how do you pronounce Bitcoins? Bitecoins, which means cockcoins?  Cheesy
Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 09:06:53 AM

Using a 100 satoshi denomination might work, but I don't think it should be called "bits".
turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 09:07:35 AM

Avez-vous un bit à part?

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
101111 (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 09:13:40 AM

So what?

What part of
didn't you understand?
What's your point?
Fat Ronaldo

Activity: 64

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 09:32:43 AM

When he says bits does he mean a satoshi or some other denomination. I really prefer just satoshi for the smallest amount.
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 09:33:59 AM

Well it's ironic that i was reading through the topic talking about standardization with ISO. Adoption of bits will align with this requirement. Maybe that is what Gavin saw or trying to relate to

bitcoin_purist

Activity: 75

Fearless, except for those who are fearless

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 09:37:53 AM

Why switch to bits when there is already "satoshi" as a unit?
duke1839

Activity: 143
Merit: 104

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 10:13:59 AM

satoshi
bit
millibit
bitcoin

I think the good news is that by switching to bits many of us become multi-millionaires instantly  Grin

1839REgeNTM2b84byywinp3BjtWdEqw27x
p2pbucks

Activity: 642

Evolution is the only way to survive

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 10:19:28 AM

Roll Eyes yes , gavin is right , if we want more ppl use bitcoin , the unit(1 bitcoin) might be too large for normal users .
satoshi (10^-8) is too small , so changing to bits sounds a good idea .
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 10:26:12 AM

satoshi
bit
millibit
bitcoin

I think the good news is that by switching to bits many of us become multi-millionaires instantly  Grin

satoshi
bit = mike
millibit
bitcoin
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4442

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 10:26:22 AM

why have nickels and dimes if we have cents
why have grams and ounces when we can use microtonnes
why have babies toddlers and teenagers when we can use "biologically combined omni-clones at pre-mature status"

answer... because it makes life easier

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: