Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:22:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Good news! Gavin Andresen: I think everybody should switch to talking in "bits"  (Read 3838 times)
101111 (OP)

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 04:01:16 AM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2jw5pm/im_gavin_andresen_chief_scientist_at_the_bitcoin/clfqrlg

The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
KingOfTrolls

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 07:14:42 AM

So what?

Gavin is an expert on technology, not language.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-authority
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 07:43:48 AM

If everyone does it it works... we need all trading sites to list in bits for starters but it gets awkward if you pricing alt coins in bits, everyone has to change.
101111 (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:09:28 AM
Last edit: October 22, 2014, 08:30:06 AM by 101111

So what?

Nice try, but you need to brush up a bit. Gavin is one of the top thought leaders in the Bitcoin space; as well as Chief Scientist, he's also a published writer and entrepreneur.

And what do you mean, 'so what'? That your own opinion counts for more than his? (That's what it sounds like). You think you can so easily dismiss his opinion? I got news for you, compared to him no one cares what you think.

Furthermore, this is not about something that is or is not true, it's about an opinion.

Appeal to Authority Fallacy: because an authority thinks something, it must therefore be true.

It's important to note that this fallacy should not be used to dismiss the claims of experts, or scientific consensus. Appeals to authority are not valid arguments, but nor is it reasonable to disregard the claims of experts who have a demonstrated depth of knowledge unless one has a similar level of understanding and/or access to empirical evidence. However it is, entirely possible that the opinion of a person or institution of authority is wrong; therefore the authority that such a person or institution holds does not have any intrinsic bearing upon whether their claims are true or not.

Consider yourself fortunate to get educated on something you did not know (I've got a soft spot for all bitcoiners no matter how recalcitrant), but by all means keep to your own opinion about bits if you wish.
BitmoreCoin

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:16:04 AM

I think every one else has to change to bits.
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:17:26 AM

"bits" still have too low of a value in my opinion.

I really don't want to have to speak in units of $0.000386, that really just seems more messy than speaking in whole bitcoins for now.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
101111 (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:37:27 AM

"bits" still have too low of a value in my opinion.

I really don't want to have to speak in units of $0.000386, that really just seems more messy than speaking in whole bitcoins for now.
You might have reversed the logic. A switch to bits would remove the messy 0.000 etc. Eg a coffee might cost 1,000 bits.
turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:45:24 AM

So what?

Nice try, but you need to brush up a bit. Gavin is one of the top thought leaders in the Bitcoin space; as well as Chief Scientist, he's also a published writer and entrepreneur.

And what do you mean, 'so what'? That your own opinion counts for more than his? (That's what it sounds like). You think you can so easily dismiss his opinion? I got news for you, compared to him no one cares what you think.

Furthermore, this is not about something that is or is not true, it's about an opinion.

Appeal to Authority Fallacy: because an authority thinks something, it must therefore be true.

It's important to note that this fallacy should not be used to dismiss the claims of experts, or scientific consensus. Appeals to authority are not valid arguments, but nor is it reasonable to disregard the claims of experts who have a demonstrated depth of knowledge unless one has a similar level of understanding and/or access to empirical evidence. However it is, entirely possible that the opinion of a person or institution of authority is wrong; therefore the authority that such a person or institution holds does not have any intrinsic bearing upon whether their claims are true or not.

Consider yourself fortunate to get educated on something you did not know (I've got a soft spot for all bitcoiners no matter how recalcitrant), but by all means keep to your own opinion about bits if you wish.
What part of
didn't you understand?

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
madmat
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:58:40 AM

I like the idea of using bits. But i am french, and in french "bit" and "bits" are pronounced as "bite", which means "cock"
Towlie

Activity: 65

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 09:06:42 AM

I like the idea of using bits. But i am french, and in french "bit" and "bits" are pronounced as "bite", which means "cock"

So how do you pronounce Bitcoins? Bitecoins, which means cockcoins?  Cheesy
Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 09:06:53 AM

Using a 100 satoshi denomination might work, but I don't think it should be called "bits".
turvarya

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 09:07:35 AM

Avez-vous un bit à part?

101111 (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 09:13:40 AM

So what?

What part of
didn't you understand?
What's your point?
Fat Ronaldo

Activity: 64

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 09:32:43 AM

When he says bits does he mean a satoshi or some other denomination. I really prefer just satoshi for the smallest amount.
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 09:33:59 AM

Well it's ironic that i was reading through the topic talking about standardization with ISO. Adoption of bits will align with this requirement. Maybe that is what Gavin saw or trying to relate to

bitcoin_purist

Activity: 75

Fearless, except for those who are fearless

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 09:37:53 AM

Why switch to bits when there is already "satoshi" as a unit?
duke1839

Activity: 143
Merit: 104

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 10:13:59 AM

satoshi
bit
millibit
bitcoin

I think the good news is that by switching to bits many of us become multi-millionaires instantly  Grin

1839REgeNTM2b84byywinp3BjtWdEqw27x
p2pbucks

Activity: 642

Evolution is the only way to survive

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 10:19:28 AM

Roll Eyes yes , gavin is right , if we want more ppl use bitcoin , the unit(1 bitcoin) might be too large for normal users .
satoshi (10^-8) is too small , so changing to bits sounds a good idea .
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 10:26:12 AM

satoshi
bit
millibit
bitcoin

I think the good news is that by switching to bits many of us become multi-millionaires instantly  Grin

satoshi
bit = mike
millibit
bitcoin
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4447

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 10:26:22 AM

why have nickels and dimes if we have cents
why have grams and ounces when we can use microtonnes
why have babies toddlers and teenagers when we can use "biologically combined omni-clones at pre-mature status"

answer... because it makes life easier

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
BTCIndia

Activity: 686

vini, vedi, no vici.

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 11:35:39 AM

I suggest same to Gavin and community in Jan, 2013. Thereafter month back KnC and Bitpay accepted my suggestion.

Now, Gavin is saying same on AMA! But, didn't reply me anything. A**hole co-inventor!

http://www.coindesk.com/knc-wallet-bitcoin-price-bits/http://www.coindesk.com/knc-wallet-bitcoin-price-bits/

OP: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=420058.0

He's Nick Sazbo from Washington. I've my answer. Or Hal? :O
Waramp22

Activity: 321

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 11:44:56 AM

The reason he wants to switch to bits is because it allows us to drop the confusing decimal places.
example:
.000386 bitcoin - 386 bits

This simplifies things for the time being, and lets us use satoshis when we need to be even more specific
example: instead of .00038619 bitcoin it will be 386 bits and 19 satoshis (or sats)

This will help in the adoption of bitcoin as it has the same familiar layout that the USD has. Dollars and cents.

Scammed by Black Arrow? See the consumer complaint thread here -
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=681965.0
btckold24

Activity: 434

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 12:24:13 PM

its a great idea in my opinion. My friend started getting into bitcoin and I explained it all. I sent him .02 to his cell phone wallet to get him started. He was like wow a whole .02 lol (not realizing that its around 8 bucks) using bits is much better and easier to understand.

YOU CAN ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
PLAY or INVEST

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀

Rainbot
Happy Hour
Faucet
turvarya

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 12:25:41 PM

The reason he wants to switch to bits is because it allows us to drop the confusing decimal places.
example:
.000386 bitcoin - 386 bits

This simplifies things for the time being, and lets us use satoshis when we need to be even more specific
example: instead of .00038619 bitcoin it will be 386 bits and 19 satoshis (or sats)

This will help in the adoption of bitcoin as it has the same familiar layout that the USD has. Dollars and cents.
I am just wondering if we really need 2 Units(bits and satoshi). I am not sure, if "the USD also has 2 units and people are used to it" is really a good argument.

Roll Eyes yes , gavin is right , if we want more ppl use bitcoin , the unit(1 bitcoin) might be too large for normal users .
Are you sarcastic or do you really think, that 1 bit=0.00038183 USD is better than 1 Satoshi=0.0000038183 respectively 1 USD= 2,618.97 bits is better than 1 USD= 261,897 Satoshi?

PenAndPaper

Activity: 252

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 12:31:35 PM

Maybe it's a little early but bits is the way to go for sure. Companies like coinbase etc. are already testing/using bits internally.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1559

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 12:34:08 PM

Are you sarcastic or do you really think, that 1 bit=0.00038183 USD is better than 1 Satoshi=0.0000038183 respectively 1 USD= 2,618.97 bits is better than 1 USD= 261,897 Satoshi?

Agree. If the goal is to make bitcoin easier for the masses to use it (especially new people), than 'bit' doesn't really do the trick. More intuitive would be something close (in value) to $1, therefore 1mBTC (BTC0.001) makes more sense.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1368

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 12:59:54 PM

One important thing is that the language is agreed on. If we call it "bits," that's great, if we all agree.

The IMPORTANT thing is that we start to talk in millionths of a bitcoin. Why? Because the fiat system is about to crash, at least regarding the USD. Bitcoin will jump shortly after, and multitudes of folks attempting to get "in" after the crash, will cause the price to soar. And THAT on top of the reduction in the availability, or desirability, worldwide, of the dollar.

Sure, current bitcoin holders will be rich. But the use of Bitcoin will spread. Supply and demand will bring the price up so high that we will ALL need to start talking in "bits" just to use Bitcoin with the general public, because of the high price.

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
bitcoinpiece

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 01:36:39 PM

It is just the smallest unit. I think.
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 01:41:08 PM

I'll stick with satoshi.

Thank you.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
ab8989

Activity: 209
Merit: 101

FUTURE OF CRYPTO IS HERE!

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 01:43:59 PM
Last edit: October 22, 2014, 02:31:33 PM by ab8989

What about a completely different suggestion I have not heard before.

We clearly have a problem that nobody has been able to figure out how to fix well enough using traditional way of thinking. So thinking outside a box could be in order. We could start a completely different style to fit our needs and also to emphasize that bitcoins are really different from traditional money.

It is inspired by the european style of using SI suffixes when dealing with resistor values and wildly varying orders of magnitude on values of other electronic components. Pretty much the same problem that bitcoins are facing. 2200 ohm can be written as 2k2

We could start using format of xxxBTCxxxmxxxμ.

1 BTC in the new format is 1BTC.
0.1 BTC in the new format is BTC100m
0.01 BTC in the new format is BTC10m
0.001 BTC in the new format is BTC1m
0.0001 BTC in the new format is BTC100μ
0.00001 BTC in the new format is BTC10μ
0.000001 BTC in the new format is BTC1μ
1.234BTC in the new format is 1BTC234m
0.001234BTC in the new format is BTC1m234μ

The last shows the biggest improvent compared to any other scheme I have seen and it is the last one that probably is the one that faces the biggest need to have a good solution for in future years.

One of the advantages is that this really does not break anything. It is just a completely optional way of writing the values. All previous concepts of writing about bitcoins remain totally valid and unchanged.
Billbags

Activity: 280

Brainwashed this way

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 01:59:37 PM

One important thing is that the language is agreed on. If we call it "bits," that's great, if we all agree.

The IMPORTANT thing is that we start to talk in millionths of a bitcoin. Why? Because the fiat system is about to crash, at least regarding the USD. Bitcoin will jump shortly after, and multitudes of folks attempting to get "in" after the crash, will cause the price to soar. And THAT on top of the reduction in the availability, or desirability, worldwide, of the dollar.

Sure, current bitcoin holders will be rich. But the use of Bitcoin will spread. Supply and demand will bring the price up so high that we will ALL need to start talking in "bits" just to use Bitcoin with the general public, because of the high price.

Smiley

BINGO......that's how I took it also. Did you also notice the one year insinuation?

Listen: meat beat manifesto ~ Edge of no control (pt.1)
Read:"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past." ~ George Orwell
Think: http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-dawn-of-trustworthy-computing.html
novacn

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 02:29:17 PM

Yes. Bits are good... definitely
But if we shift to bits, how will altcoins like Dogecoin survive  Shocked Shocked Grin?
That will kill dogecoin for sure! That is so cruel, cos I also like dogecoin.

turvarya

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 02:31:49 PM

Yes. Bits are good... definitely
But if we shift to bits, how will altcoins like Dogecoin survive  Shocked Shocked Grin?
That will kill dogecoin for sure! That is so cruel, cos I also like dogecoin.
shouldn't there be another Pump&Dump-Coin already?

Klestin

Activity: 493

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 03:13:33 PM

You might have reversed the logic. A switch to bits would remove the messy 0.000 etc. Eg a coffee might cost 1,000 bits.
4/10 of a cent? Clearly not Starbucks at that price. Cheesy
101111 (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 03:48:02 PM

lol, yeah might have to wait a few years for that!
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 03:50:42 PM

So what?

Wow, Gavin gave himself a title. I'm sorry, but if this means anything it is that Gavin seems to be in need of admiration.
Frankly, I don't understand the hype about Gavin. There are other developers as well, who are not member of a highly questionable organization (The Bitcoin Foundation), don't receive pay, but still contribute significantly.

We don't need provisions on how to call Bitcoin's smaller units. Names will emerge naturally. I can't see any advantage of introducing "bits", because we already have Satoshi as a name for the smallest unit.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
RustyNomad

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 03:56:38 PM

lol, yeah might have to wait a few years for that!

1,000 bits (0.001) is actually USD 0.385 (38 cents) at today's price. Still not enough for a coffee though.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 04:06:22 PM

this needs to be thought out carefully

i think it would be appropriate to have both BTC and BITS

anything > 0.1BTC is expressed in BTC

anything < 0.1BTC is expressed in BITS

or maybe you can display price like   0.2BTC and 1726BITS , kinda like you say 26$ and 75cents, idk..

point is these standards to be though up, layout out clearly, and agreed upon, this is not an easy task.

if we can  layout out some clear standards, update some key wallets (qt , blockchain, etc..), get some websites to adopt this new way of working ,make some documentation, make some fancy pictures outlining theses standards. this BTC Vs BITS debate might be settled once and for all.

its imposible to get all sites to change how they display BTC prices. some use BTC some mBTC some uBTC, no one has a clue what to do so everyone is doing there own thing. this has to stop and we have to figure this out somehow.

this threads a start, but there have been 100 like it, all it does is show that everyone wants to see some changes in this aspect of bitcoin, but whats beening done to change it?

dose bitcoinstore display prices in BTC or BITS?
dose blockchine.info's wallet display balance as 1.3BTC 230579BITS Huh

no!

lets make a new thread, lets figure out EXACTLY what we want the change to be and how it will be rolled out, and then lets put extreme pressure to get these sites to implement this new scheme

rant over,
sry for all the typos,
thank you.

jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 05:36:13 PM

lets make a new thread, lets figure out EXACTLY what we want the change to be and how it will be rolled out, and then lets put extreme pressure to get these sites to implement this new scheme

Good freaking luck. I think there is a rough consensus that some units between Bitcoin and Satoshi might be useful. However, what units these will be seems to be quite contentious.

Frankly, I prefer 'mills' (mBTC) and 'mikes' (uBTC), as it reuses existing patterns well-known to anyone who has had a need to handle numbers of anything over a range of magnitudes (i.e. the SI system, used nearly universally in other areas of measurement). I may be in the minority. As such, I recognize the need to sit back and let consensus emerge. Trying to force the issue will not be resistant to whatever socially-selected solution eventually emerges.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 08:29:25 PM

The cool thing is that free people don't have to care what Gavin thinks if they don't want to.

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 08:55:19 PM

Redundant topics, ugh... https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=830600.0

I'd like to propose 1 XST = 1 satoshi.

I concur. There should be only two currency codes, and at the extremes, no half measures to confuse the fuck out of average people. The largest unit, 1 BTC=XBT, and the smallest subunit, 1 satoshi/0.00000001 BTC=XST.

We need to lock in the smallest subunit, the furthest point of divisibility. If 1 XST ends up being exchanged to $0.01 USD, then 1 XBT will be equal to $1,000,000 USD.

Clients should allow setting XBT or XST as the default display (with appropriate warnings), and pricing can be displayed both ways in the global marketplace. No changes in the way TXs are constructed in the background would be necessary.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
BitMos

Activity: 182
Merit: 123

"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:58:34 PM

The cool thing is that free people don't have to care what Gavin thinks if they don't want to.

it will be satoshi.

money is faster...
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 09:19:52 PM

So what?

Sadly agree, im not convinced to bits yet... maybe its too fast
spooderman
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 09:53:09 PM

I would like this too. Let's do it. It needs a few key players to switch over, all the exchanges mainly, then XE and then most of us.

And SR Smiley

Society doesn't scale.
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 10:07:37 PM

So what?

Wow, Gavin gave himself a title. I'm sorry, but if this means anything it is that Gavin seems to be in need of admiration.
Frankly, I don't understand the hype about Gavin. There are other developers as well, who are not member of a highly questionable organization (The Bitcoin Foundation), don't receive pay, but still contribute significantly.

We don't need provisions on how to call Bitcoin's smaller units. Names will emerge naturally. I can't see any advantage of introducing "bits", because we already have Satoshi as a name for the smallest unit.

ya.ya.yo!

Well I do admire Gavin, actually, but I'm still not interested in using "bit" as a unit at this time.  I'm content transacting in fractions of a Bitcoin - it's very analogous to a world where we might transact in milligrams of gold or something.

ANTIcentralized

Activity: 210

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 11:42:29 PM

So what?

ya.ya.yo!

We will not be measuring the amount of bitcoin being transacted in terms of satoshi anytime soon. Another issue is that using Satoshi, makes satoshi (the creator of bitcoin) into a profit that he does not appear to want and creates a liability for bitcoin in general in the event that he is ever doxxed.
thms

Activity: 427

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 11:59:34 PM

So what?

OP is the perfect example of the "appeal to authority" fallacy. Gavin is writing code, so his opinion about the best name is just the same as anyone else's.

I agree we have to name a new unit but definately not bits.

The term Bits is hated by about 50% of the community.

101111 (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 03:18:13 AM

The term Bits is hated by about 50% of the community.
That's just pure BS.

There'll never be universal agreement over the name.

We need to move forward.
BitMos

Activity: 182
Merit: 123

"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 04:06:18 AM

Well I do admire Gavin, actually...  transact in milligrams...

from trustless to personality cult, sleepy road... and frankly ounce, grams, what ever you want, as long as the weight is the same... the name doesn't change the weight. and it's btc, not xtc, stc... but who cares:D

money is faster...
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 04:10:12 AM

With all due respect to Gavin, I very much disagree.  Even with his support I expect there will be significant resistance to the "bits" movement for a long time to come.  I've written about the merits and demerits of "bits" in several places but allow me to relay my key point:
  • "mikes" is just like "bits" but it is much older and is backwards compatible with the unit "bitcoin".

I've heard no good, logical counter to "mikes" over "bits" up until now.  I can think of one myself, that "bits" is currently more popular than "mikes", but I do not feel that the current lead of "bits" is yet sufficient to pay for its drawbacks.  If "bits" continues to gain in popularity and support, then my support will eventually follow naturally.  I have tremendous respect for network effects and, after all, language is for communicating.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2014, 07:20:24 AM

I would be willing to start using bits. I hear far too often..."I don't have enough money to buy any bitcoins"

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
madmat
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 07:28:43 AM

I would be willing to start using bits. I hear far too often..."I don't have enough money to buy any bitcoins"

This image is great and worth a lot of explanations. Keep displaying it everywhere you can.
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2014, 08:40:17 AM

Fuck's sake... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_%28money%29

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
BitmoreCoin

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 09:07:51 AM

We need a coin to come out with bits and see how it goes.
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2014, 09:15:27 AM

We need a coin to come out with bits and see how it goes.

Yeah. Call it bitscoin.

Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2014, 09:18:11 AM

It might be better to come up with a sliding scale based on the amount being discussed.

If I have $5 I don't say I have 500 cents. But if I have 50 cents I don't say I have .5 dollars.

So when discussing something like .1 bitcoins you might say you have 100 mBTC and if you have .1 mBTC you have 100 bits.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
turvarya

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 10:33:18 AM

It might be better to come up with a sliding scale based on the amount being discussed.

If I have $5 I don't say I have 500 cents. But if I have 50 cents I don't say I have .5 dollars.

So when discussing something like .1 bitcoins you might say you have 100 mBTC and if you have .1 mBTC you have 100 bits.
The obvious problem here is, that you have 3 words (bitcoin, mBTC, bits) where you just have 2 words in order currencies(dollar, cent). For a not techie person, that is a big turn off.
Another Problem is, that Bitcoins are just too expensive. If you are from USA or an EUR-country, you are just not used to exchange 1 USD/EUR for some cents in another currency. So from a psychological aspect, we should just stop using BTC when we are speaking to the mainstream. (Yeah I know, that is not really going to happen)

spooderman
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2014, 09:37:19 AM

The obvious problem here is, that you have 3 words (bitcoin, mBTC, bits) where you just have 2 words in order currencies(dollar, cent). For a not techie person, that is a big turn off.
Another Problem is, that Bitcoins are just too expensive. If you are from USA or an EUR-country, you are just not used to exchange 1 USD/EUR for some cents in another currency. So from a psychological aspect, we should just stop using BTC when we are speaking to the mainstream. (Yeah I know, that is not really going to happen)

yes but on the other hand, that does speak to bitcoins massive superiority as a currency. It ISN'T like the other currencies that are worth relatively similar amounts to the USD.

Society doesn't scale.
teukon
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 12:40:06 PM

Far from disagreeing with you, I just want to highlight that mBTC is not a word.  It seems people use it as if it were a word quite frequently and I'm wondering how many bitcoiners are reading this in their heads as "em-bee-tee-cee" *shudder*.  Here's a table of what are presently the most common and least controversial terms.

NameLong symbolValue
bitcoinBTC1 BTC
millibitcoinmBTC0.001 BTC
0.000 001 BTC
satoshi0.000 000 01 BTC

Notably: "XBT", "bit", and "uBTC" are quite common but can spark disagreements; "SAT" is not controversial but somewhat uncommon; "millibit" suffers slightly with respect to both metrics.
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2014, 02:23:47 PM

The 100 Satoshi unit needs to be the main unit, but "bits" is kind of a poor name.  It really lack originality.  mBTC is also just as weak. 

But yes, the whole community needs to move away from using the word Bitcoins to describe the currency.  "Bitcoin" can still be the software and the platform, but the currency needs a different name and that name should start at 100 Satoshi. 

Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2014, 02:28:20 PM

Far from disagreeing with you, I just want to highlight that mBTC is not a word.  It seems people use it as if it were a word quite frequently and I'm wondering how many bitcoiners are reading this in their heads as "em-bee-tee-cee" *shudder*. 

Millies.

jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2014, 02:30:24 PM

I live in Korea and if I buy a cup of coffee it costs, 5,000 won.  For me to switch to a cup of coffee being 15,000 bits is much much more natural that .015 bitcoins.  

A nice dinner on the town might cost 100,000 bits.  It is very natural.  Yes, it is big numbers, but lots of countries are already using big numbers.

BitmoreCoin

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 02:50:23 PM

I live in Korea and if I buy a cup of coffee it costs, 5,000 won.  For me to switch to a cup of coffee being 15,000 bits is much much more natural that .015 bitcoins.  

A nice dinner on the town might cost 100,000 bits.  It is very natural.  Yes, it is big numbers, but lots of countries are already using big numbers.
110.99 bits is better than 0.00011099 BTC.
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2014, 02:50:43 PM

If "bits" continues to gain in popularity and support, then my support will eventually follow naturally.  I have tremendous respect for network effects and, after all, language is for communicating.

I'd also slightly prefer 'mikes', but consensus is for 'bits' among the people who will actually Make This So (the big merchants/exchanges).

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
teukon
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 03:00:16 PM

Far from disagreeing with you, I just want to highlight that mBTC is not a word.  It seems people use it as if it were a word quite frequently and I'm wondering how many bitcoiners are reading this in their heads as "em-bee-tee-cee" *shudder*. 

Millies.

Yeah, it seems there are quite a few nicknames for this unit.  I just started a poll to find out what people are saying these days.
wesk1212

Activity: 486

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 03:22:56 PM

Next time when walmart have buy1get1free deal why dont u call that a good news too. Wow this community looks silly now..

DIAGON  e S p o r t s       Global decentralize eSports ecosystem
JAP CN SPN RU   WHITEPAPER  ]   ICO ❱ ❱  Nov. 12 th
facebook    TWITTER    reddit     ────   (   B U Y   )   ────
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2014, 08:52:16 PM

This is a year too late. When "Bitcoin was going to the moon", maybe it mattered. Now, not so much.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: