Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:05:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Limited hashing power to eliminate industrial mining.  (Read 3519 times)
Rovingruddy (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 04:17:54 PM

Does it not benefit Bitcoin as a whole to have individuals involved in the mining process and to enhance the "community feeling"?
Impose something like 500 GH/s per user, per IP or in some way get rid of the greedy industrial mining companies that are ruining what Bitcoin should be.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 04:20:40 PM

How on earth would you enforce that?

Wolf_Pack

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 04:33:48 PM

How on earth would you enforce that?

Scout's honor

▄  ▄▄  ▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▄▄     ▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ▄▄▄▄▄        ▄       ▄▄       ▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ▄██▀▀▀▀██▄  ███▄   ██ ██▀▀▀▀▀    ▄██▀▀▀█▀      ███      ███     ███ ██▀▀▀▀▀
██▀      ▀██ ████▄  ██ ██        ██▀           ██▀██     ████   ████ ██
██        ██ ██ ▀██ ██ ██▄▄▄     ██    ████   ██▀ ▀██    ██▀██ ██▀██ ██▄▄▄
██▄      ▄██ ██  ▀████ ██▀▀▀     ██▄     ██  ██▀   ▀██   ██ ▀███▀ ██ ██▀▀▀
 ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀  ██    ▀██ ██▄▄▄▄▄    ▀██▄▄▄██▀ ████▄▄▄████  ██  ▀█▀  ██ ██▄▄▄▄▄
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▀▀     ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀       ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▀  ▀▀  ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
A-Self Evolving Virtual World
Built on Top of Blockchain
▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬   WHITEPAPER   ▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬
TWITTER     TELEGRAM      MEDIUM
▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬   ANN THREAD   ▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬
Rovingruddy (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 04:49:36 PM

I am by no means qualified to answer my question nor do I know if it is possible but I feel that with the introduction of ASICs (greedy companies wanting to make a buck) and the Industrial Mining (greedy companies to wanting to make a buck) it's all going south.
I may be completely wrong but without everybody being afforded equal opportunity to be involved it will never be as great as it should/could be.
To me the appeal was being part of something that was controlled by nobody... Surprise surprise big business has taken over.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 05:22:00 PM
Last edit: October 22, 2014, 05:32:13 PM by odolvlobo

Mining is what gave Bitcoin its early boost, but now most Bitcoin users care about mining bitcoins about as much as they care about working at a bank or panning for gold.

Either way, there is no way to limit someone's hash rate.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 05:31:39 PM

I am by no means qualified to answer my question nor do I know if it is possible but I feel that with the introduction of ASICs (greedy companies wanting to make a buck) and the Industrial Mining (greedy companies to wanting to make a buck) it's all going south.
I may be completely wrong but without everybody being afforded equal opportunity to be involved it will never be as great as it should/could be.
To me the appeal was being part of something that was controlled by nobody... Surprise surprise big business has taken over.

You are the greedy person. You want to get a bigger portion of bitcoins without doing anything to earn that bigger portion.

Everyone has an equal opportunity to mine bitcoins. There is nothing and nobody stopping you. The amount of bitcoins you mine is proportional to the amount of money and effort you put into it, whether you are a poor person with a graphics card or a person with a warehouse full of miners.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
2double0
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1105

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 06:33:16 PM

I agree it should remain the hands of millions but it went to a few select pools very quickly. Miners found a better way to profit and so pools were formed.
ihavenousername

Activity: 23

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 06:53:12 PM

What big business has taken over bitcoin? How is bitcoin 'going south'?

Everybody had the chance to take the plunge and invest in ASICs when the opportunity to pre-order came about with no idea whether you'd a/ see the hardware and b/ ever hit your ROI. People took risks and it paid off for some and not for others, like pretty much everything in crypto (cex, altcoins, IPOs, hashlets etc)

I imagine the risk is far greater for the farms, as I can only imagine what their hardware cost and what their electricity bills are like

500ghs is like $2 a day btw, not only is it impossible it'd drive miners away in their droves
malaimult

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 06:59:42 PM

no need for this, that is why there is halvings.

cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:10:54 PM

That's contrary to the whole principle of bitcoin.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Oscilson

Activity: 434

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 08:24:40 PM

As long as the ASIC is accessible to everybody, it is a fair game. You will not make money if your electricity price is too high.

The biggest threat to BTC is the centralization of pools.
silversurfer1958

Activity: 474
Merit: 111

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 02:11:21 AM

The Core Devs could release a Bitcoin Core that utilised CPU only cryptography, the Big Asic mining farms would be destroyed of course, Pools wouldn't lose out, there'd be some disruption at first, but the network would quickly alter the difficulty before things settled down,  but it would put Bitcoin mining back into the hands of the little guy.

KWH
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 02:15:12 AM

The Core Devs could release a Bitcoin Core that utilised CPU only cryptography, the Big Asic mining farms would be destroyed of course, Pools wouldn't lose out, there'd be some disruption at first, but the network would quickly alter the difficulty before things settled down,  but it would put Bitcoin mining back into the hands of the little guy.

Until the huge CPU farms come online and this would also push forward newer technology. Then what? Ban CPU mining? What after that? Slide rule mining? Once all the geeks jump online with those slide rules will you ask to ban that?

When the subject of buying BTC with Paypal comes up, I often remember this: 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 03:08:04 AM

The Core Devs could release a Bitcoin Core that utilised CPU only cryptography ... it would put Bitcoin mining back into the hands of the little guy.

That will never happen, and even if it did, it still wouldn't fix anything. Rather than warehouses full of ASIC miners, you would see warehouses full of CPU miners.

Icon

Activity: 821
Merit: 503

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 03:31:18 AM

FYI, the higher the hash rate the more the bitcoin is secure..

Icon

Corenin
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 04:15:46 AM

To eliminate industrial mining, we just need faster halving. Once every 2 years instead of 4 years....
Oscilson

Activity: 434

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 03:02:19 PM

The Core Devs could release a Bitcoin Core that utilised CPU only cryptography ... it would put Bitcoin mining back into the hands of the little guy.

That will never happen, and even if it did, it still wouldn't fix anything. Rather than warehouses full of ASIC miners, you would see warehouses full of CPU miners.

Exactly.
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 10:18:41 PM

But at least the CPUs are useful after the difficulty gets to high.  With ASICs... what can you do with them when their profitable life has expired?
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2014, 02:50:05 AM

Repeat after me: There is ALWAYS a way to make an ASIC out of any mining algorithm you come up with. The only reason there may not be ASICs for a different algorithm at the moment is there's no money in it.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
bitzcointalk

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

My avatar is in the shop

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 04:13:52 AM

Then keep changing the algorithm... every few weeks or so, it would force everything to be CPU and then everybody could have a fair chance again.
Owh but wait, FPGAs could be re-programmed, on the fly perhaps. Hmmm.
Better idea, drop the idea of mining. Its just not the way to make money folks.
Just a contest for the super rich.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: