Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:01:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Impose a restriction for the lending subforum  (Read 2803 times)
John (John K.) (OP)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 11:08:39 AM
Last edit: May 23, 2012, 11:36:39 AM by johnthedong

I'm seriously tired of those scamming threads lately like (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=83113.0) and (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=82776.0) which are probably penned by the same person having just abolished their newbie status and making a beeline for the Lending subforum. We're starting to turn to another 'make a quick buck' website now unfortunately with people registering for the sole purpose of soliciting money, and making off to the next screen name.   

I propose that some sort of a restriction like post count or account age (>50 posts?) be imposed on the Lending Subforum to reduce the spam there and prevent the newcomers to be scammed easily.(https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=81777.0) Or the very least, a 'Lending Guidelines - read here before asking for a loan' sticky be posted on the top to make the scammers' life more difficult.

Please discuss too - my solutions might be faulty.  Smiley

Edit: added some examples.
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
John (John K.) (OP)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 11:33:45 AM

I propose that some sort of a restriction like post count or account age (>50 posts?) be imposed on the Lending Subforum to reduce the spam there and prevent the newcomers to be scammed easily. Or the very least, a 'Lending Guidelines - read here before asking for a loan' sticky be posted on the top to make the scammers' life more difficult.

Agree with the post count > 50, although they would also have to be quality posts, none of the one word replies, "kwl thread" or other crap that people post to boost their post count..

Yeah, but it would be hard for the forum system itself to determine whether if the posts were quality posts - let's just leave that to the lenders themselves then. Wink
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 11:55:54 AM

Screw >50 as its still way to easy to bypass for dedicated scammers, anyone established enough and unlikely to run away with BTC should atleast be a longtime member of either >500 or >1000 posts and registered for >1-3months, moderators can decide on this.

I really dont think anyone should be able to open a "bank" and receive BTC with promises of interest if they havnt been an active member on this forum, one way or another.

The point is, when you receive BTC and act in banklike manner, you should not be given an easy pass at the forum.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
John (John K.) (OP)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 12:04:16 PM

Screw >50 as its still way to easy to bypass for dedicated scammers, anyone established enough and unlikely to run away with BTC should atleast be a longtime member of either >500 or >1000 posts and registered for >1-3months, moderators can decide on this.

I really dont think anyone should be able to open a "bank" and receive BTC with promises of interest if they havnt been an active member on this forum, one way or another.

Well, a >50/100/xxx would be a start to stop those spam posts in the lending subforum IMHO. A >500 and account age of >1-3 months would be much more restrictive on non-scammers as there would certainly be legit people between those scammers. However, a much stringent policy of giving loans should be the norm. We certainly don't want BTC to look like a get rich fast scheme for scammers.
riX

Activity: 326
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 12:14:46 PM

I'd love to see registration dates under peoples avatars, that alone might be enough to prevent some people from creating new accounts.
(And of course it would look nice if you registered early on.. Smiley

Sorry, I can't help you with your lost password.

PGP key: 0x9F31802C79642F25
John (John K.) (OP)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 12:21:16 PM

I'd love to see registration dates under peoples avatars, that alone might be enough to prevent some people from creating new accounts.
(And of course it would look nice if you registered early on.. Smiley
member of either >500 or >1000 posts and registered for >1-3months, moderators can decide on this.

Registered for is obviously one of the most useful indicators for a scammer, so I think it might be more useful to have the higher restriction on registration time than post count. As you said it's far easier for a scammer to rack up a post count, but it's rather difficult to fake your registered for time.

Having a >1000 post restriction seems to high, there are people on the forums who have less than 1000 posts, and can be deemed trustworthy for a loan.

Agreed completely to both too. Registered time is much harder to rack up as compared to post counts.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2012, 12:30:03 PM

Age restriction seems like a good idea but it's still flawed. Just make a couple dozen accounts now, wait a bit, then use them sequentially, while continually making new accounts to add to the end of the list so they'll always have older accounts to work with.

Ultimately I don't think there's really anything we can do that would be effective.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 12:39:15 PM

How about one spokesperson that knows how to ask scammers the right questions? He could be the one that weeds out the idiots, and then the lenders could then do their due diligence on whatever is left. I think after a while, all the new users  scammers would come to know that this user is going to start asking them hard questions, and would either ignore him, which would set off red flags, or they would go away.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
John (John K.) (OP)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 12:44:37 PM

Age restriction seems like a good idea but it's still flawed. Just make a couple dozen accounts now, wait a bit, then use them sequentially, while continually making new accounts to add to the end of the list so they'll always have older accounts to work with.

Ultimately I don't think there's really anything we can do that would be effective.
Yeah, ultimately the prospective loaner has to make his own personal judgement to avoid potential scams. However, we could at least weed out the obvious scammers and leave the lending subforum clean from a loan request from a newbie every next day. Most scammers in the lending subforum are only in for a quick buck, and having an age restriction plus post restriction would weed out them easily.
John (John K.) (OP)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 12:46:31 PM

How about one spokesperson that knows how to ask scammers the right questions? He could be the one that weeds out the idiots, and then the lenders could then do their due diligence on whatever is left. I think after a while, all the new users  scammers would come to know that this user is going to start asking them hard questions, and would either ignore him, which would set off red flags, or they would go away.

Aren't most of us are playing the spokesperson part nowadays in the lending subforum?   It's like a 'Please Troll Me' subforum now, that's why I proposed this. I hate to spoil the fun though. Wink
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 12:50:39 PM

Aren't most of us are playing the spokesperson part nowadays in the lending subforum?   It's like a 'Please Troll Me' subforum now, that's why I proposed this. I hate to spoil the fun though. Wink
Yeah I noticed that, and each noob gets a deluge of lenders picking him apart, which is kind of a waste of everyone's time. I figured one known trustable member could do preliminary vetting.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 01:09:44 PM

I don't think the registration date thing means too much, a few friends of mine are just starting to use the forums, but they registered years ago, so now they have a 1-5 post count with accounts from early 2011. I'm sure that is the case in a lot of people, so I don't think when you registered really proves honesty. What really matters is experience. I believe you should have to have 100 posts before being able to post on the lending section, so by then the user will have a record that lenders can go back over, and hopefully by then you have some experience with trading, and the lenders can look back on that and make a decision.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 07:05:30 PM

There's a reason why only certain lenders have stickies. Some of these people who start lending operations just so they can start the banking side too really scare me.

minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 11:01:31 PM

Minimum 100 posts and minimum total time logged in: 10 days.

It took me about half a year of normal use...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: